PDA

View Full Version : Magnet Gun Vehicle Mounts

Trihonda
07-02-20, 20:28
Gang,
Whats the scoop with these magnetic gun mounts? This video discusses the tactical issues with these mounts, and leaving vehicles in a car.

What I haven't seen is any opinions on using a strong magnet to attach your guns to anything...? I was always trained to keep strong magnets away from firearms (for extended periods of time). The reason was not wanting internals becoming magnetized over time... I was always told magnetized parts could fail, attract metal shavings in the wrong places, and was generally not good.

Any thoughts on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCv5wFVjSwQ

Hush
07-02-20, 20:33
Hard nope, for many reasons. Unless you own an XD, then whatever [emoji2371]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Trihonda
07-02-20, 21:50
Hard nope, for many reasons. Unless you own an XD, then whatever [emoji2371]

Thoughts on magnetizing a handgun or internals?

Hush
07-02-20, 21:52
That is far outside my lane, but so far down the road of bad ideas I compare it to worrying about saltwater corrosion on the internals of my engine.

ggammell
07-03-20, 06:48
Not f’n ever. I’ll agree with Yeager for once. Use a proper storage solution.

Trihonda
07-05-20, 15:40
Thanks for the replies thus far. But none have touched on the issue of magnetizing The internals. I know this has been an issue with AR firing pins. Just wondering about super magnets next to handguns?

TexasAggie2005
07-05-20, 15:57
I'd be far more worried about the 3# hunk of metal & plastic flying around the interior of my truck during a wreck, then I would ever care about a potentially magnetized gun part.

Trihonda
07-05-20, 20:17
I'd be far more worried about the 3# hunk of metal & plastic flying around the interior of my truck during a wreck, then I would ever care about a potentially magnetized gun part.

That is absolutely a fair point. Though these mounts are also being marketed and used for bedside or under desk quick access Mounts.

For vehicle carry, I’m of the mindset that a gun not on your person is mostly useless. Had a buddy who glove box carried... You get carjacked, “excuse me, um I need some .. heart medicine from my glove box...”. Lol.

SeriousStudent
07-05-20, 23:51
Car magnets for guns make baby Odin weep.

ddbtoth
07-16-20, 14:28
This- there are secure, car mounted holsters that attach under the dash or on the side of the center console. It’s hard to get to a gun from a worn belted holster. But I would never leave a gun unattended in a car.

taliv
07-17-20, 12:35
installed one left of the steering wheel the week i got my truck. had an M&P9 in it ever since. 3 years later, no issues so far. and i was in an accident and it didn't come out. i shoot it at the range fairly regularly. if anything got magnetized in there, it hasn't affected function.