PDA

View Full Version : Does ammo go bad

11-26-08, 18:51
Does ammunition go bad? I'm thinking about starting to stock up on ammunition (not because of Obama-panic) because during the winter I have less overhead, and can buy ammo to use during the warmer weather months. Right now, I have 500 rds coming, but was thinking about picking up a case or two of Wolf (:rolleyes:) just to supplement.

Ammo will be stored in my safe in my house, and it will stay warm/dry if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Chris

hatt
11-26-08, 19:02
I don't know if someone has a definitive answer on this subject but properly stored ammo is going to last at least 30 years, and probably much longer than that. I regularly shoot 25 year old+ 5.56/.38/.357 ammo without any issues whatsoever.

sjc3081
11-26-08, 19:03
If you keep stored as you described the ammo will still be 100% long after your great grandchildren are dead.

Don Robison
11-26-08, 19:04
Does ammunition go bad? I'm thinking about starting to stock up on ammunition (not because of Obama-panic) because during the winter I have less overhead, and can buy ammo to use during the warmer weather months. Right now, I have 500 rds coming, but was thinking about picking up a case or two of Wolf (:rolleyes:) just to supplement.

Ammo will be stored in my safe in my house, and it will stay warm/dry if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Chris

It won't keep, you need to continue to order it though and have it delivered to my house. I promise I'll make sure it doesn't go bad.:D

J/K

It will be fine.

TOrrock
11-26-08, 20:01
I've shot milsurp that was minted prior to WWII, no worries as long as it's kept dry and in a reasonably stable temperature.

ST911
11-26-08, 20:32
I've shot milsurp that was minted prior to WWII, no worries as long as it's kept dry and in a reasonably stable temperature.

Same here. A couple of years ago, I shot a batch of pre-war 45ACP and .30-06 that had been stored in a shed in west-central IA. It had been subjected to seasonal heat and cold extremes, but still discharged. Guns were a G21 and (Rem?) 1903A3.

It's important to note that this was mil ammo, manufactured to standards. Who knows what commercially produced ammo made today will do.

ZDL
11-26-08, 22:42
Everything has a shelf life at some measurement. Question is does it fit into your scope. My unpolished answer to that is, keep it dry and it will out last you.

reloadem
11-29-08, 21:59
I put my reloading equipment equipment (Including several previously opened powder cans and a couple thousand primers) in the attic in 1991, just pulled it all out 2 months ago. One can of 4064 had red dust when it came out so I tossed it. All the primers and the rest of the powder functions perfect.

These items were just sitting in cardboard boxes. So sealed in a cartridge, it should last a lifetime.

Iraqgunz
11-30-08, 01:44
The only time that I have seen ammo issues is here in the M.E when ammo has been stored in conex containers where the temps will be well over 100 degrees for many months at a time. IIRC from my ammunition handling/ training powder will start to degrade at temperatures above 105 degrees. I know that magazines onboard a ship must cooled using artificial cooling procedures if the temp reaches 105 or greater, which is why we had calibrated thermometers inside the magazines.