PDA

View Full Version : PanicPanicPanic: how long can the madness continue?

Buncheong
07-03-20, 13:27
If you didn’t know better, you’d think my favorite FFL in Scottsdale had gone out of business: no rifles on the wall, empty glass handgun cases.

Staff tell me they don’t know when anything will be back in stock - inventory disappears as fast as it’s logged in. I had a total stranger start talking to me in the shop about how, “I don’t even own any guns but with all of this talk of defunding the P.D., I’m very worried so I want to buy.”

Arisaka sent me an e-mail about their 7/4 sale, but the stuff I’d like to get From them has been sold out for months, and still is.

Credit card millionaires bidding prices into nosebleed territory on [undisclosed firearms auction site]. It’s just nuts.

In the immortal words of Devo, “how long can this go on!?”

markm
07-03-20, 13:44
It's SO weird... because I don't even think about buying guns/ammo/mags at all during these TardFests. I mean, I used to, but after a certain amount of panics, I no longer give it a thought.

Life's a Hillary
07-03-20, 13:52
It's SO weird... because I don't even think about buying guns/ammo/mags at all during these TardFests. I mean, I used to, but after a certain amount of panics, I no longer give it a thought.

Same. I feel like we have been in constant panics since Obama looked to have the first election in the bag. If you haven’t got your stuff by now where have you been the last decade+?

Esq.
07-03-20, 13:53
I sold 6 pieces parts beater AR15s in the last month and a half. Got really good money out of them, even sold a Sig 556-been trying to get rid of that Dead End for 2 years.

I replaced those guns with two Centurion Arms rifles (back in stock this morning) and a DD V5 that showed up at a local pawn shop, like new, guy was selling a bunch of guns to fund a land purchase.....

Fewer, better, rifles....seems like a good thing to me...

magister
07-03-20, 13:53
I’m at a point where my needs are met, reserves are adequate, and lack nothing significant so the panic isn’t impacting me too much.

No clue when the panic stops though.

markm
07-03-20, 13:59
I sold 6 pieces parts beater AR15s in the last month and a half.

That's the thing that kills me. Every panic, I think... we'll never do this retard shit again. Then I kick myself for not having inventory to unload onto morons at a fat profit.

AndyLate
07-03-20, 14:04
Shelves are getting a little bare of guns here in N Alabama, but not too bad. Ammo, on the other hand, is pretty scarce, at least 5.56 and 9x19. They even took a big dent out of the 22 lr.

I'm thinking the panic buying will continue until the cards are maxed or the second or third month's overdue mortgage payment. I need to move some excess handguns while the getting is good.

I've been a little lazy, need to start reloading and crank out some practice ammo. I'm sure not buying range ammo at panic prices.

Andy

Esq.
07-03-20, 14:07
That's the thing that kills me. Every panic, I think... we'll never do this retard shit again. Then I kick myself for not having inventory to unload onto morons at a fat profit.
Last time I unloaded probably 75-100 "training mags" that I had accumulated. Averaged about $12 apiece on them!

When Trump won and new mags went to $6-8 I bought a case of new ones.

fledge
07-03-20, 14:08
Please tell me what auction site is running up bids. I’ve colts listed and can’t get a bite, not even the typical counter offer. I’ve got other things to sell because I’m moving. I’m scratching my head where to sell because it’s either bargain hunters on M4C (yes, M4C buyers are cheap haha) or this mythical panic I keep hearing about.

Esq.
07-03-20, 14:12
Please tell me what auction site is running up bids. I’ve colts listed and can’t get a bite, not even the typical counter offer. I’ve got other things to sell because I’m moving. I’m scratching my head where to sell because it’s either bargain hunters on M4C (yes, M4C buyers are cheap haha) or this mythical panic I keep hearing about.

I sold all mine by word of mouth actually. Guys went into a local shop and asked about guns, the Clerks pointed to the empty shelves.....But,...I might know a guy that has something, kinda deal...

Pays to fix tickets for gunshop clerks, Lol....

prepare
07-03-20, 14:21
“how long can this go on!?”

There's NO end in sight...

Buncheong
07-03-20, 14:30

PM sent...

markm
07-03-20, 14:37
Last time I unloaded probably 75-100 "training mags" that I had accumulated. Averaged about $12 apiece on them!

When Trump won and new mags went to $6-8 I bought a case of new ones.

That's good rotation.

Straight Shooter
07-03-20, 15:05
And Ive had a rifle in the EE for a couple months now with no bites. Ive dropped it all Im gonna drop it.

Honu
07-03-20, 15:59
Kinda wanting to dump a g32 I have as I recently quit carrying 357 sig then I think just keep it for winter or camping time but 9mm has come so far even in the past 15 years with ballistics so I don’t care anymore about the extra penetration it had 15 years ago or whatever it was when I got into it
did pick up a sig p365 ($449) cheap enough and within %10 more maybe so who cares $50 over 10-15 years is nothing In long run and that gun is new enough I could not have gotten into it years ago so maybe to say their is reason still to be buying :)

I notice I tend to stick to a platform as daily carry on body and now carry a extra full size in a bag as I carry a bag when I go out and wanted to update my old gen 1 M&P full size setups with the new G45 again new gun seems great and optics are something I want to get into now so again solid reasons to get into them but not get ripped off just takes more time to find

So sadly I am kinda in the look but wont pay to play as I am OK with where I am
Did notice SGC (scottsdale) had g45 the other day for $549 not to bad not to good but close enough but I decided to wait keep thinking should have picked up two :) ahahahahahah

Ammo seems last month it was 3 cents round cheaper for 9 ? Will it come back down I hope so as I have some new p365 I need to run a couple K through and prefer not to use my backlog

This will be the new norm I reckon as their is so much unknown

One other thing getting out of my old carry round of the 357 sig was to have just 3-4 rounds 22lr and 9mm and 223 and 308 although 300 blackout is temping in a nice SBR or AR pistol

Even now I kinda think man just have 22lr and 9mm and 308 would be fine with me and just have way more of it :)

markm
07-03-20, 16:02
And Ive had a rifle in the EE for a couple months now with no bites. Ive dropped it all Im gonna drop it.

Panic buyers don't know to shop here. They're out buying Springfield Saints from gun stores.

GH41
07-03-20, 16:10
What scares me, at least down here is, most of the run on guns is from people who know nothing about them and don't have an interest to learn. An elderly lady came in a local shop the other day. After digging through her pocketbook for at least 30 seconds she came out with a S&W 642 finger in the trigger guard pointing in the direction of the clerk across the counter. He instinctively push her arm away and forced her to put he gun on the counter. She was pissed and said he hurt her and couldn't understand what she did wrong. He cleared the little pistol and ask her what he could help her with. She said the pistol was defective and she wanted her sons money back. What is the problem the clerk ask.. She said she had taken it out in her back yard to shoot at her trash can and the first time she fired it jumped out of her hand. I had to leave before the +P ammunition may have had something to do with conversation ended.

The_War_Wagon
07-03-20, 16:12
If you haven’t got your stuff by now where have you been the last decade+?

I felt the same way during the run-up to the election. When I saw Clinton was gonna get the nomination, I started stockpiling that summer.

Of 1992.

Honu
07-03-20, 16:40
most first time now were/are gun haters last week and do not care to learn from you racist gun freaks
I have seen heard quite a bit of this from various folks not all but a lot of them are this way

Still going to vote for common sense gun law people to I bet UNLESS they can get educated but I sadly think not so much

matemike
07-03-20, 16:41
What's funnny from panic to panic is "what's hot" this time.
In 2008 it was AR's.
In 2010-2012 it was ammo, especially 22lr. Couldn't find it.
In 2012 after Sandy hook it was BCG's. Seriously, AR-15 BCG's could not be found and they have forever since been doubled in price since 2012 prices.
In 2013 it was magazines, but only M4 mags and glock mags. Couldn't find them anywhere, and I feel like they doubled in price during that year.
7 year gap where I guess I focused on my bolt guns and reloading I guess, or it was mostly normal pickings as far as guns and ammo availability
In 2020 Recently, during this covid-19 in march it was ammo again, now since the riots it's guns again. Ammo is all stocked at every store I look.

What'll be the hot item during the Nov elections? BCG's again. Spare barrels, revolver ammo? Who knows.

markm
07-03-20, 16:58
In 2012 after Sandy hook it was BCG's. Seriously, AR-15 BCG's could not be found and they have forever since been doubled in price since 2012 prices.
In 2013 it was magazines, but only M4 mags and glock mags. Couldn't find them anywhere, and I feel like they doubled in price during that year.

That was irritating as hell. Dumb asses with 5 spares for each gun.

Esq.
07-03-20, 17:13
That's good rotation.

I had a pile of Colts...they were gold in color, all the finish worn off practically....$15 apiece, lol....

Slater
07-03-20, 17:25
If you're into bolt rifles, looks like the panic has ignored that particular family. Lots of those on my local gunstore shelves. Plus, they don't really appeal to the tacticool crowd.

Robertsk1
07-03-20, 17:32
I'm well armed with all I need... However there is still stuff I want. Like I want a good M16 rifle clone, was looking at the FN15 clone, I want an x95, and a DD5... I was gonna buy one as I usually buy a new gun every spring/ summer. Not this year, nothing in stock anywhere and on top of that if I did find something the price has gone way up. I was looking at getting an SP5 and the only ones I found were above MSRP!

Luckily for me I purchased a bunch of ammo in January before it went to shit. This panic BS is gonna last until next year.

Robertsk1
07-03-20, 17:34
If you're into bolt rifles, looks like the panic has ignored that particular family. Lots of those on my local gunstore shelves. Plus, they don't really appeal to the tacticool crowd.

I was actually thinking about getting into the long range game. But have to do some more research into it. I have a 7mm MAG and a 7mm08 for hunting, me/wife, would like a good 338 maybe.

pag23
07-03-20, 17:44
I pretty much got what I need.....over the last few years. I did stock up on ammo within the last 6 months. I have been looking for a Blue Label G19.5 recently so I can use my GSSF coupon. Most local suppliers are sold out, I spoke to a GSSF rep who said Glock is running 3 shifts a day, hiring people and they still can't keep up with the demand....I will try GT distributors Monday.

Esq.
07-03-20, 17:48
"This panic BS is gonna last until next year."

There MAY be a very brief window, end of July to end of August, ASSUMING the riots die off and before the Elections really crank up where the manufacturers catch some breathimg room.

Yes, prices will be higher than December---but you will be able to buy something. From then until the election, forget it. If Biden wins you better have a literal lifetime supply of guns, mags, ammo, spare parts etc...cause thats it.....

Alex V
07-03-20, 18:03
These panics are getting annoying. I have “enough” ammo to let me a while but you always feel like you should have more.

Alex V
07-03-20, 18:04
These panics are getting annoying. I have “enough” ammo to let me a while but you always feel like you should have more.

WillBrink
07-03-20, 18:13

If you're stocking up now, you're doing it wrong.

AndyLate
07-03-20, 18:37

I bet you its gone by Monday...

Andy

Bubba FAL
07-03-20, 18:41
Yep, just bought an RAR in .300 BLK, no problem. Pick it up next week. Thought it'd be a fun and quiet short-range project.

Arik
07-03-20, 19:18
Never cared before, hasn't changed now. Wether I have one round of 22 short or own a manufacturing facility....it's all the same to me.

AndyLate
07-03-20, 19:34
To be perfectly honest the problems I have with the panics are:

People will buy a gun and a box of ammo, never even learn how to operate them outside a YouTube video

The gun will either be stolen from their vehicle or their home and end up on the street to be used by for-real criminals

Worst case, one if their kids will shoot themselves, a playmate, or a classmate

The same people who are panic buying should be paying down bills or saving money for the economic roller coaster we are all living through

Those all outweigh any inconvenience caused to me by ammunition shortages.

Andy

TMS951
07-03-20, 19:51
This panic will go right through the election.

If Trump wins it will die off by January. If he loses it will never end until our gun rights are dead.

jpmuscle
07-03-20, 20:03

People will buy a gun and a box of ammo, never even learn how to operate them outside a YouTube video

The gun will either be stolen from their vehicle or their home and end up on the street to be used by for-real criminals

The same people who are panic buying should be paying down bills or saving money for the economic roller coaster we are all living through

Andy

Yea no. I just want cheap ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABNAK
07-03-20, 20:04
One thing that never ceases to amaze me (well, it is libtards so maybe not so much) is the sheer volume of guns and ammunition bought in all the "panics" since Shitstain was elected in 2008. How the Left still thinks that some magical wave of the pen over a piece of gun ban legislation is suddenly gonna make all that stuff disappear is beyond me. Well to be fair I guess a LOT of it will "disappear" alright. ;) Nonetheless they have the temerity to assume people will dutifully line up like cucks and just hand it all over! Oh sure, many will, but seriously? Maybe 10% of the total will ever be turned over to the authoritahs. Guns are indelibly imbedded in our society, and NOTHING will change that.

Arik
07-03-20, 20:29

AndyThis isn't new. It's the avg gun owner since beginning of gun ownership. How many old revolvers show up from 90 year old widows who's husbands jave died and had this old revolver and a box of ammo in the sock drawer since 1954!!!

And these aren't the people causing the problems. Buying a box or two doesn't do anything for availability. It's the guy with 12,000 cases buying another 10,000

flenna
07-03-20, 20:32
This panic will go right through the election.

If Trump wins it will die off by January. If he loses it will never end until our gun rights are dead.

Basically my thoughts on it.

The_War_Wagon
07-03-20, 20:57

I have more than most armories... but I bought another 2k this week, because I got it delivered for $.38/rd., and couldn't pass it up. :ph34r:

Evel Baldgui
07-03-20, 21:10
Thankfully I'm pretty well set in both defensive ammo and practice/range ammo; then again I only have two calibers to be concerned with, 5.56 and 9mm. Keeping it simple.
As far as the "panic" is concerned, saw it first hand today. I accompanied a friend to a local shop, shelves and counters were bare of almost all handguns (a few revolvers and some 1911's left) also only 3-4 shotguns (coach guns) and a 2-3 bolt actions on shelves. Ammo....minimal to none. Didn't really hit home until today, guess I wasn't really paying attention as to how serious it apparently is. He picked up his lower and we called it a day. Also, the wait time for the adjacent range was at least 1 hour ....

Adrenaline_6
07-03-20, 21:56
I went to my LGS today just to see for myself what level of retard we were actually at. Pretty much full retard. I have never seen the handgun selection so low. They still had a bunch of AR's but there were actually bare spots on the wall which I have never seen before. There was a 6920 on the wall for sale in the mid $1100 range. Ammo was 50% higher than it should be. Craziness.

I overheard a sales guy saying the smaller LGS are calling them trying to buy their stock because they got nothing left.

MegademiC
07-03-20, 23:06

A guy that works for me got his first rifle (ar). He said, “dont let me forget this when things calm down.”

A lesson for us all.

Im ok, but should have been better prepared (only stocked 2 mo worth of normal ammo).

SteyrAUG
07-03-20, 23:20
In the immortal words of Devo, “how long can this go on!?”

From now until the election and then depending upon who wins, maybe much longer.

Jellybean
07-04-20, 01:20
"How long can this go on?"

As long as they need it to.

Yep. I think "damn, if only I'd held onto that XX-item for another year, I'd be golden right now". Every time I have no money to spend, prices drop. Then by the time I finally scrape some extra together, we're in the middle of another tard-fest like this. Constantly having to compete with the idiot hordes of credit-card-maxxing asshats really sucks the joy out of this hobby... :mad:

Heh, I have the opposite problem; I keep hearing of these mythical deals people are still finding, and everything I see is 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive than it was 6 months ago.

I also love how everyone wants to sell their stuff at top dollar, then complains when you do it, even when your items are still reasonable compared to the other gougers.

Buncheong
07-04-20, 01:36
Constantly having to compete with the idiot hordes of credit-card-maxxing asshats really sucks the joy out of this hobby... :mad:

This ^

Esq.
07-04-20, 06:34
A lot of the people buying now, can afford it. Yes there are the credit card idiots but think about the St. Louis couple....Think they might want a few more guns? People living in million dollar homes, dont think much about $1,500 purchases, its about as important to them as whether you eat at Mc Ds or Applebees for dinner....its just not a real consideration.

And there are a lot more of them than you might think. The economy the last few years has been quite good for lots of folks, interest rates have been low etc...I know a bunch of people that have made real money in Real Estate etc....Got a buddy in the Front Range, does high end home re models- granite, hard wood, custom iron work...he pulled over $200k NET last year and has for the last 5 years...

flenna
07-04-20, 07:07
Looks like the frenzy on Gunbroker is getting worse. I am seeing Federal XM193 for $.70/round and up.

BoringGuy45
07-04-20, 07:14
The problem with these panics is that they are not driven by an influx of first time buyers. From my experience, it's a bunch of guys squirrelling away a bunch of guns and ammo they already have.

AndyLate
07-04-20, 07:58
The problem with these panics is that they are not driven by an influx of first time buyers. From my experience, it's a bunch of guys squirrelling away a bunch of guns and ammo they already have.

I dunno, man. I think this panic is different, it's not (just) gun nuts buying that 10th AR or pistol because an election is coming or a bill is in congress, or grabbing every 22lr round insight because "O" is banning them. There are a lot of well meaning liberals and conservatives buying their first semiautomatic rifles and pistols because they think the balloon is going up.

The liberal sites are full of people claiming to have bought guns because of the "2nd Amendment retards who are going to start shooting people in the streets if Trump loses". I see a lot of people in the gunstores who are obviously new to the process of buying them.

I am sure a lot of gun folks are also buying up guns and ammo with the intent of re-selling them for a profit later. I wish they wouldn't, but they are not hurting me. I have just enough and just enough is all I need.

Andy

Arik
07-04-20, 08:43
The problem with these panics is that they are not driven by an influx of first time buyers. From my experience, it's a bunch of guys squirrelling away a bunch of guns and ammo they already have.This^

It's a little bit of everything. The new millionaire gun owner (although majority aren't into guns) made a one time buy on a random AR and half a case of ammo and probably didn't bother with extra mags!

There's the avg guy who bought a firearm and a few boxes of ammo.

Then there's the guys who are gun owners and who normally buy by the case. These guys are the ones causing this. I see the same faces and cars in gun stores as I have for years.
The occasional new guy can't make up his/her mind on if they really need to buy 5 boxes of ammo and how many safeties they feel comfortable having on the gun.

Here's what I've noticed. Majority of avg guns (Glocks, CZ, Sig, revolver....) Are being bought by a new owner. Majority of cool guns and ammo is being bought by those who have always bought them and probably have ammo stacked since the 80s

Buncheong
07-04-20, 12:20
Maybe so.

Noobs don’t know about Radian CHs or Arisaka light mounts, in my experience.

I’d like to buy these parts for an upper I want to finish, and I get sale notice upon sale notice in my inbox, yet when I click to check for the parts they are sold out. It’s been that way for quite awhile, now.

For the foreseeable future I’ve been forced to give up on my projects. Money isn’t an issue, but nothing is available, anywhere.

1986s4
07-04-20, 13:44
Same. I feel like we have been in constant panics since Obama looked to have the first election in the bag. If you haven’t got your stuff by now where have you been the last decade+?

Yeah, I learned my lesson and stick to the basics, good reliable proven firearms, magazines and ammo. Lately several friends have told me they're going to buy a gun for the first time, they know I shoot and are asking my opinion. I always tell them I'm willing to help but that they should get good training before they buy.

I've settled on what works for me and focus on support, mags, ammo, spare parts, etc.

1986s4
07-04-20, 13:49
From now until the election and then depending upon who wins, maybe much longer.

Maybe it doesn't matter who wins ? Trump wins and the left goes full revolution. Biden wins and the left starts to dismantle the Bill of Rights and change the country into something we don't recognize.

seb5
07-04-20, 14:36
Maybe it doesn't matter who wins ? Trump wins and the left goes full revolution. Biden wins and the left starts to dismantle the Bill of Rights and change the country into something we don't recognize.

I've thought this as well lately.

ChattanoogaPhil
07-04-20, 14:55
Past ammo panics were about fear of bans. This ammo panic is more about fear of needing to use it.

1986s4
07-04-20, 15:17
Past ammo panics were about fear of bans. This ammo panic is more about fear of needing to use it.

Yes. I've seen some recent videos and I try to put myself in their place, what would I do?

JoshNC
07-04-20, 15:54

M4c buyers are cheap and M4C sellers are overpriced.

vandal5
07-04-20, 16:07
This reminds me of when all the non gun people hording up the TP...

Jellybean
07-05-20, 10:38

I don't buy that.

It's more this, this time around. And the Blacks...

I was just in a couple of my "local" shops in a my nearest major city about 2 weeks ago.
One large shop/range the shelves were pretty much empty; the only things left in quantity were a few Daniel Defense rifles and revolver/1911 type handguns.
The only people looking to buy were some young black guys, and some older white lady looking at revolvers.

The next shop was a smaller shop, and the place was HOPPING. They only allowed 15 people in at a time due to Corona-chan, and people were constantly coming to the door waiting to get in as I stood in line for half an hour to ask about availability. They ironically had a better selection than the big shop, bu they were selling FAST.
From what I could tell, almost all the customers were new/first time buyers. At least 50% were black, and another 1/3 brown-ish.

So, don't buy into the usual MSM bullshit talking about about "evil white men stockpiling guns". Ain't happening this time around.

Arik
07-05-20, 11:15
I don't buy that.

It's more this, this time around. And the Blacks...

I was just in a couple of my "local" shops in a my nearest major city about 2 weeks ago.
One large shop/range the shelves were pretty much empty; the only things left in quantity were a few Daniel Defense rifles and revolver/1911 type handguns.
The only people looking to buy were some young black guys, and some older white lady looking at revolvers.

The next shop was a smaller shop, and the place was HOPPING. They only allowed 15 people in at a time due to Corona-chan, and people were constantly coming to the door waiting to get in as I stood in line for half an hour to ask about availability. They ironically had a better selection than the big shop, bu they were selling FAST.
From what I could tell, almost all the customers were new/first time buyers. At least 50% were black, and another 1/3 brown-ish.

So, don't buy into the usual MSM bullshit talking about about "evil white men stockpiling guns". Ain't happening this time around.It definitely isn't new people as a whole. They're not buying cases and they're not the ones standing in line for hours to get in at this point. Most people I've seen at the gun stores are the same ones I see there year after year.

A bunch of people I know that just got guns within the last 5 months have sent me pics of their "arsenals". Whatever random firearms they managed to squirrel away plus a few boxes of ammo. When I said you need more mags and ammo I got looks like im speaking Klingon. One guy ....two boxes each 9, 40, 45 HST and some buckshot! Second guy... Beretta 92, G48, S&W shield 40, and 12G pump. Two loaded mags each! Done! Other people asking if 3 boxes of 380 was over doing it!?

By and large the ammo buying is done by those who have always bought large quantities. Hell, one guy here posted pics of his purchase of 38,000 rounds of 556

I remember being a new gun owner and didn't understand the need for stockpiling. I was the first in my family to buy a firearm so it was all a learning as I went. In the beginning I didn't even think to buy large quantities. I bought a few boxes at the range to shoot that day and had a box for carrying. That was it. At one point someone offered me half a case for the first time and I felt like I was doing a serious buying. Like I'm ready forever now!

Buncheong
07-05-20, 14:19
I used to live by the rule that, “if you want to buy something, you have to sell something.” It was a type of hoarding prevention, you could say.

And so, against my subjective wishes, I sold my two Gen 3 Glock 19 pistols, because I wanted to switch to Gen 5 and couldn’t justify a bunch of Glocks, especially of different Gen. I thought I was being an adult, but oh how I regret it, now.

Next I was sent out of state for work, and a 3-week assignment turned into 6, which sometimes happens.

Floyd-related riots hit, and BOOM: no Gen 5 available, anywhere in AZ.

At this rate, it doesn’t look like I will ever be able to score a Gen 5. People are hoarding, and I’ve stopped using online auctions because of bad experiences with sellers not representing the firearm’s condition, truthfully (politely speaking).

All quite discouraging...

Slater
07-05-20, 15:04
I used to live by the rule that, “if you want to buy something, you have to sell something.” It was a type of hoarding prevention, you could say.

And so, against my subjective wishes, I sold my two Gen 3 Glock 19 pistols, because I wanted to switch to Gen 5 and couldn’t justify a bunch of Glocks, especially of different Gen. I thought I was being an adult, but oh how I regret it, now.

Next I was sent out of state for work, and a 3-week assignment turned into 6, which sometimes happens.

At this rate, it doesn’t look like I will ever be able to score a Gen 5. People are hoarding, and I’ve stopped using online auctions because of bad experiences with sellers not representing the firearm’s condition, truthfully (politely speaking).

I bought a new G17 Gen 5 about three weeks ago at the CAL Ranch store in Flagstaff. CAL Ranch isn't everyone's first thought when it comes to gun stores and their selection is pretty limited, but occasionally you can find what you're looking for in there.

Buncheong
07-05-20, 15:28
I bought a new G17 Gen 5 about three weeks ago at the CAL Ranch store in Flagstaff. CAL Ranch isn't everyone's first thought when it comes to gun stores and their selection is pretty limited, but occasionally you can find what you're looking for in there.

Thanks for the heads-up, brother - I appreciate the intel.

drsal
07-05-20, 15:28
How long can the panic continue? Maybe it will settle down after Trump gets re-elected? Maybe it will worsen 10 fold or more if biden steals the election? Or maybe never, as this is now, "the new normal" ..... apologies for using this idiotic expression.

ChattanoogaPhil
07-05-20, 16:12
Bare shelves across the nation and sold out websites are a result of tens of millions of average Joe gun owners buying a few more boxes of ammo, not gun enthusiasts buying ammo by the case. That's not to say gun enthusiast aren't adding cases to their supply, but there's just not that many of them despite all your pals being gun enthusiasts.

kirkland
07-05-20, 17:27
How long can the panic continue? Maybe it will settle down after Trump gets re-elected? Maybe it will worsen 10 fold or more if biden steals the election? Or maybe never, as this is now, "the new normal" ..... apologies for using this idiotic expression.

Last time this happened ammo factories and gun manufacturers cranked up production in an attempt to meet demand. After a while they finally caught up, then shortly after that we had a glut of low priced ammo and guns on the market.

Jellybean
07-05-20, 22:30
It definitely isn't new people as a whole. They're not buying cases and they're not the ones standing in line for hours to get in at this point. Most people I've seen at the gun stores are the same ones I see there year after year...

Yeah, I'm sure it's not, as a whole, one or the other. What I'm saying is, there seems to be a far bigger influx of FNGs this time around, than previous ban-panics. All seeing the same folks at your store means is that you live in an area where there is not a large segment of people suddenly looking to buy...
If this was a ban-panic, I'd be right there with you suspecting the usual suspects. And sure, I'm sure there are large quantity purchases still playing a part, at least in the ammo shortage.
BUT... other things are still available (for now). I'm not seeing any mass runs on mags and spare parts; it's mainly full-production guns/uppers and ammo (and body armor, to a point). That to me says "a lot of new buyers" not "knowledgeable people stockpiling for forever".

But I mean, that's just my opinion on a forum on the internet...

Arik
07-06-20, 12:07
Yeah, I'm sure it's not, as a whole, one or the other. What I'm saying is, there seems to be a far bigger influx of FNGs this time around, than previous ban-panics. All seeing the same folks at your store means is that you live in an area where there is not a large segment of people suddenly looking to buy...

Oh there's definitely a much bigger influx of new people. Before they didn't care. Having a mag limit or feature banned didn't effect them. Now however, people are being locked inside, there's a deadly virus, stores are running out of toilet paper, food and water might be next! As we calmed down from that all of a sudden there's rioting, burning, pillaging, looting. Attempts to completely get rid of law enforcement. Some even suggested that it's white privilege to call the cops when you're attacked. So now this effects them and they want protection

To be fair I go only at a specific date and time so I only see those who come at the same time. And now I'll stop in only IF I don't see a line

If this was a ban-panic, I'd be right there with you suspecting the usual suspects. And sure, I'm sure there are large quantity purchases still playing a part, at least in the ammo shortage.
BUT... other things are still available (for now). I'm not seeing any mass runs on mags and spare parts; it's mainly full-production guns/uppers and ammo (and body armor, to a point). That to me says "a lot of new buyers" not "knowledgeable people stockpiling for forever".

But I mean, that's just my opinion on a forum on the internet...

I think that in the last 15 years. Or rather the decade before the last 5 years, if that makes sense, we had so many scares that at this point if you were a gun owner back thwn you mostly likely already have a stash of mags in quantities you deem acceptable.

drsal
07-06-20, 20:18
Last time this happened ammo factories and gun manufacturers cranked up production in an attempt to meet demand. After a while they finally caught up, then shortly after that we had a glut of low priced ammo and guns on the market.

Given the Covid insanity, BLM, Antifa, Communist democrats, rampant anti LE sentiment, probable anti 2a congress, and assorted sinister nonsense that the citizenry is unaware of, I'd venture to guess that the likelihood of that recurring is highly doubtful.

Diamondback
07-06-20, 20:27
My bet is thanks to Democrat insanity driving it, probably November at soonest, more likely Second Inaugural in Jan '21. We will probably not see the Buyer's Market of 2016 ever again, and my gut says the next lull will be short because even IF things go our way and Trump gets second term with both houses, we can safely expect the Left to get right back to playing For All The Marbles.

Edm
07-06-20, 23:50
I have a parts AR I put together a few years ago and put in the safe to sell someday. I planned on selling it and buying a BL Glock. Now it won’t sell and even if it did, I’m not sure I could find the Glock. I’m real glad I participated in the Walmart ammo purge of 2019.

1986s4
07-07-20, 05:52

In my A.O. Glocks are still available [FL central east coast], what's not available is the ammo to shoot them unless at scalpers prices. But we have our guns and ammo.. I searched the local shops and the interwebz with no joy for 9mm. I was thinking about my new Brown 9mm barrel for my Colt .38 super and.... oh yeah, I'll bet there's .38 super out there to buy..