PDA

View Full Version : Best Cleaning Setup

ejewels
07-04-20, 14:29
Hey All,

After cleaning my AR last night I realized I only have the old school USGI sectioned rod. I cringed putting it through the barrel hearing metal on metal contact even though I was careful for the most part. From what I understand, the steel used in the rod is softer than in barrels, so I can't damage the barrel even if there is inevitable contact correct? Either way, what rods do you guys use to clean your barrels, and are bore snakes preferred over rods? I have old gun cleaning equipment so looking for recommendations for a new, modern setup.

n8vmind
07-04-20, 14:33
Otis cleaning kit with coated cleaning cable. Minimal risk of damage to crown

jackblack73
07-04-20, 15:05
Just an FYI, since you seem pretty OCD in your other thread, unless you have a precision setup you don't need to keep your AR spotless. You probably risk more damage from cleaning than shooting. I only clean my ARs every thousand rounds or so, and even then it's a quick wipe down and a couple patches run through the barrel. I'll wipe down the BCG a little more often when using a suppressor, since it's much dirtier. I do regularly lube my rifles so I never have any issues.

Walker_Texasranger
07-04-20, 15:34
I keep cleaning to a minimum. Can do more harm then good. I’ll wipe the BCG and gun down with a rag and relube.

I run an Otis Ripcord down the barrel when I’m done shooting and that’s about it. I just keep them wet. I have chrome lined barrels though. If I had a stainless barrel I’d probably scrub it more often.

TomMcC
07-04-20, 19:35
Hey All,

After cleaning my AR last night I realized I only have the old school USGI sectioned rod. I cringed putting it through the barrel hearing metal on metal contact even though I was careful for the most part. From what I understand, the steel used in the rod is softer than in barrels, so I can't damage the barrel even if there is inevitable contact correct? Either way, what rods do you guys use to clean your barrels, and are bore snakes preferred over rods? I have old gun cleaning equipment so looking for recommendations for a new, modern setup.

I use a Dewey coated rod. They basically last forever. I consider keeping the chamber clean more important than keeping bore clean. If I'm in a hurry I will bore snake the barrel, but the chamber I don't scrimp on.

jpmuscle
07-04-20, 21:46
I’ve had good luck just using bore snakes for the bore and a short rod with a chamber brush and drill. Also spray nine as a general cleaner / degreaser. Brake cleaner and then lubing things back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07-05-20, 09:03
I usually just add a couple drops of oil to a boresnake and pull it through a couple times to prevent corrosion. It does little in the way of actual cleaning, which isn’t really necessary anyway. This is all that really needs to be done for thousands of rounds, unless you’re a super duper tiny group guy.

Whenever I want to actually clean it, I use the Otis kits on the bore, along with a USGI chamber brush and Brownells chamber mop. I used to have a carbon fiber rod and a set of jags, but I broke it attempting to clean an AK74. But such a device is probably “best” if you don’t get stupid with it.

Edit: the above advice is only applicable to bores, and gives no consideration to the rest of the gun.

kirkland
07-05-20, 12:10
I haven't cleaned mine for about 5-6k rounds. It's starting to look like filthy 14 lol

Tony617
07-05-20, 14:37
I have the segmented AR cleaning kit but I also have an Otis one that put in my range bag. I also have carbon fiber Tipton cleaning rod that I use sometimes as well. But for basic cleaning I use my Otis cleaning kit the most. I do have a chamber maid with a chamber brush and mop that I use and does a great job cleaning the chamber.

Send it...
07-05-20, 14:40
Dewey coated rods and a bore guide. Work well for me.

Stickman
07-05-20, 16:10
For quick cleaning, I use a bore snake, but I understand that it isn't a very good long term cleaning tool. However, it does get the bulk of the junk out. For actually cleaning, an aluminum rod is always preferable to a steel one, and a coated rod is even better.

After the cleaning rod, a good chamber brush is as important as a good brush and patches.

Red*Lion
07-05-20, 18:04
Dewey coated rods and a bore guide. Work well for me.

Same with me.

556BlackRifle
07-05-20, 19:30
Same with me.

For my match grade, add my name to that list.

For everything else, I don't clean that often.

ABNAK
07-05-20, 20:21
Just an FYI, since you seem pretty OCD in your other thread, unless you have a precision setup you don't need to keep your AR spotless. You probably risk more damage from cleaning than shooting. I only clean my ARs every thousand rounds or so, and even then it's a quick wipe down and a couple patches run through the barrel. I'll wipe down the BCG a little more often when using a suppressor, since it's much dirtier. I do regularly lube my rifles so I never have any issues.

Perfect example of why I'll never buy a used gun off of someone, especially an AR.

Tony617
07-05-20, 21:13
I use the cleaning swabs most of the time and I do not clean my ARs with a brush after each range trip either. For my first AR I did clean it throughly after my range trips. But after I got my second AR I realized that I was over cleaning them. I only use my nylon chamber brush after firing 750 rounds now.

Coal Dragger
07-05-20, 23:15
Dewey rod or a Boretech rod depending on caliber and the rods I have. I really prefer to avoid bronze brushes, so I use nylon if possible. I also use cotton patches with a brass jag, all an eyelet is good for us getting solvent in the bore. That’s only for deep cleaning which doesn’t have to happen very often, a good barrel just doesn’t seem to pick up enough copper to not shoot well for a lot of rounds.

My normal cleaning, if possible, while the barrel is still hot or freshly shot at the range and I can safely do it is to shotgun the upper, pull the BCG and liberally put CLP (or some sort of oil) in the chamber and let it run down the bore. Then douse the BCG in CLP, brush it off, wipe the grime off and re-lube. Then pull a bore snake with CLP on it down the barrel. Seems like if you do this immediately while everything is still warm the fouling is very “soft” and is easily removed.

matemike
07-06-20, 07:43
I keep a bore snake in my grip storage for sweeping the barrel when it is still warm. When I get home all I do is wipe the BCG and internals clean and I might brush the chamber depending on how it looks. I then scrub the snot out of the muzzle device with a brush and some solvent, especially the suppressor mount types to get all the carbon off. Spritz some solvent into the barrel, sweep the barrel again a couple more times, relube everything and reassemble.

If you are using a rod either push the brush and wipes from the chamber end towards the muzzle and unscrew the brush after it passes the muzzle in order to remove the rod easily...or...insert the rod only into the muzzle end and when the tip of the rod gets past the chamber end you can screw on your brush or wipe and pull it towards the muzzle from the muzzle end. Do not ever force anything into the muzzle end and push or pull it towards the chamber end.

matemike
07-06-20, 07:43
I keep a bore snake in my grip storage for sweeping the barrel when it is still warm. When I get home all I do is wipe the BCG and internals clean and I might brush the chamber depending on how it looks. I then scrub the snot out of the muzzle device with a brush and some solvent, especially the suppressor mount types to get all the carbon off. Spritz some solvent into the barrel, sweep the barrel again a couple more times, relube everything and reassemble.

If you are using a rod either push the brush and wipes from the chamber end towards the muzzle and unscrew the brush after it passes the muzzle in order to remove the rod easily...or...insert the rod only into the muzzle end and when the tip of the rod gets past the chamber end you can screw on your brush or wipe and pull it towards the muzzle from the muzzle end. Do not ever force anything into the muzzle end and push or pull it towards the chamber end.

markm
07-06-20, 08:34
Dewey rod here too. I don't mess with the bore guide. If I have to run a tight patch, I pull it through to avoid barrel abuse.

I actually cleaned 3 ARs yesterday for the first time in years. The heat here will make you do crazy shit.

EEMonty
07-07-20, 15:03
I have been using this for awhile:
http://www.patchworm.com/

It is great for a quick wipe out of the barrel with minimal effort. It is good for quick cleans and for the AR15, that seems to be enough.
You can use the patches from the company, but I just use my regular patches and poke the end through the material. Seems to work and has no metal parts to scratch anything.

ndmiller
07-07-20, 17:36
I use the otis pull through system and it works, but is annoying on many fronts. What I've seen that works really really well is this.

There was a guy shooting silouettes at 100-500 yards prone at the silhouette range at my club. He was using some sort of plastic or nylon rod semi flexible with a jag point to wipe his bore after every shot. He used a small tub of wet patches (in cleaning solution), like a plastic box of wipes, grabbed one, put it on the rod and through the bore, then a dry, really quick on a 24" barreled rifle while prone. It made me rethink how I clean my guns and thing about how easy it can be. He had multiple rods in different sizes for different length of silhouette guns. As soon as I figure out where to get those rods, that's the system I'm using. Next time I'm out there I have to ask because I cannot find them anywhere.

Steved13
07-11-20, 16:33
I use the bore snake in between, and a tipton carbon fiber rod for a thorough $26 its a one time purchase. Short rod and chamber brush, big bamboo and small q-tips, patches, rags, solvnet and iol. Ultrasonic for BCG, with the lucas ultrasonic cleaner (no oil bath needed).

https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Deluxe-1-Piece-Carbon-Cleaning/dp/B000G774SS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1MW5J51DZI89P&dchild=1&keywords=tipton%2Bcarbon%2Bfiber%2Bcleaning%2Brod&qid=1594503041&sprefix=tipton%2Bcarbon%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

ejewels
07-13-20, 17:42
wow thanks for all of the replies! I did push the brush through the chamber end towards the muzzle, but I did make the rookie mistake of pulling it back through. I was still careful with it all, though. Either way, thanks for the suggestions. I may get a bore snake for every day cleanings as the rods seem annoying.

Red*Lion
07-14-20, 13:45
wow thanks for all of the replies! I did push the brush through the chamber end towards the muzzle, but I did make the rookie mistake of pulling it back through. I was still careful with it all, though. Either way, thanks for the suggestions. I may get a bore snake for every day cleanings as the rods seem annoying.

If you are careful and go slow, pulling a brush back through will not damage the crown or anything else.

markm
07-14-20, 14:25
If you are careful and go slow, pulling a brush back through will not damage the crown or anything else.

Shoot. I rock that bronze bore brush back and forth 10 times. You have to be REALLY 'special' to damage the crown.