PDA

View Full Version : If you could start over - what would you do differently?

Eurodriver
07-05-20, 15:30
Let’s assume for purposes of this discussion there wasn’t a global Scamdemic and massive civil unrest. Prices are “normal” and things are available.

Let’s assume you have zero guns at all but the exact dollar value of your *current* collection in liquid cash (IE this isn’t a “fantasy” build thread. If you have 3 ARs worth $1000 each your budget for this thread is $3k)

What would you do differently? What would you buy and not buy?

07-05-20, 15:41
SR15x3
G19x3

Edit:
G43
G48
9mm AR
Win Levergun
Benelli M2
AK in 7.62, and another in 5.45
HK93
MP5
G35

Shite; its a disease.

07-05-20, 15:45
Nothing.

I have some Colt ARs, and some Glock 17s, 17Ks, and 43s.

Ton of mags, ammo, parts/support gear for everything.

opngrnd
07-05-20, 15:46
If the time was when I first got into firearms, 6920 x 3 and G19 x 3 and ammo until however much I have is gone. Uppers could be replaced with whatever is current as each one is shot out.

ColtSeavers
07-05-20, 15:51
I'd go straight to lpvo and offset buis.
I'd skip ar pistols/sbrs, a 14.5" p/w will do the same just fine.
Streamline and standardize ammo far sooner. No more than 3 types max, preferably two.
A couple more surefire 60rd mags.
Really should get thermal.
Off the top of my head.
Everything else I've done I would do again

Stickman
07-05-20, 15:58
There isn't much that I would feel a need to change, though a buddy has a FDE earlier KAC model carbine that I still wish I had....

I might have a couple more KAC carbines if I was changing things around, but I honestly don't feel bad about anything I have.

Rogue556
07-05-20, 16:33
I'd focus on consolidating my weapons a few different ways.

1. No toys. If a weapon can't serve in a duty roll, it's voted off the island. (Recently did this).

2. Dump every oddball caliber I have in favor of 5.56 and 9mm (I've actually already done this). Maybe keep .308 or 6.5CM for longer range stuff, if applicable.

3. Quit building weapons that can't fill multiple roles, unless absolutely necessary. (Currently in the middle of doing this).

Example:

I have a few 14.5" rifles, as well as a 10.3" and 11.5" "pistol". All have Aimpoints/Eotechs. I also have an 18" SPR with a MK12 barrel. All of them are awesome weapons and I enjoy shooting them. Honestly though, for the price, I could have built two 14.5" or 16" midlength rifles with 1-10's that would have covered a much larger use field without giving up much at all. (One with and one without a PEQ15/MAWL).

I also could have scraped the 10.3" RDS build and setup a 12.5" with a 1-6 and PEQ15/MAWL for a little more.

That would leave me with one dedicated 11.5" NV gun with a RDS. I'd have two general purpose 14.5" midlengths one with and one without NV capability (think jack of all trades, master of none type builds). Then I'd have a 12.5" with a lighter LPVO and laser that bridges the gap between the two in both weight and capability.

Everything going on lately has really pushed me to consider what I need vs what I want. Everything I don't need can be sold and used to acquire what I currently need but don't already have.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

kwelz
07-05-20, 16:39

1. No toys. If a weapon can't serve in a duty roll, it's voted off the island. (Recently did this).

2. Dump every oddball caliber I have in favor of 5.56 and 9mm (I've actually already done this). Maybe keep .308 or 6.5CM for longer range stuff, if applicable.

3. Quit building weapons that can't fill multiple roles, unless absolutely necessary. (Currently in the middle of doing this).

Exactly the process I went through recently. I have some duplicates I don't plan on getting rid of. But I see them as backups.

pointblank4445
07-05-20, 16:40
Actually HAVE cleared out all the clutter and narrowed it down to the meat and potatoes...

14.5/16" middy's and RMR'd Glocks.
6.5 CM bolt guns for the LR stuff....

The end.

Danus ex
07-05-20, 16:50
In retrospect, my buying, trying, and selling only helped me prove or disprove that the grass was or was not greener with a particular firearm. I started with C&Rs, though, and there's a Pokemon element to that. I actually documented why I sold every gun to minimize regrets!

Most of our bad spending boils down to the fact that guns and accessories are hard to buy:

1. It's difficult to know what works for you until you try it. YouTube reviews and on-paper speeds and feeds don't substitute for hands-on experience.

2. You can only rarely test drive hardware, especially at the high end.

3. Reviews are utterly dreadful. Non-comparative reviews don't help you choose between options. Instead, most reviews seem to validate existing purchases or stoke further buying and trying. But, even when they do help, that may not quench the "what if" fire.

4. Needs and wants vary considerably by person. Best example for me was the M14 vs. FAL. Internet wisdom declares the M14 garbage and the FAL godlike but my experience was completely the opposite.

5. Online advice devolves into "join my bandwagon". M4C is better than most about this.

6. They're regulated and taboo. Also, many gun stores still look and smell like the 1970s.

MountainRaven
07-05-20, 16:59
If I sold everything I have now and had to buy everything new...

...I'd buy the same things.

Except my retro AR would have a 1:7 twist barrel instead of a 1:12.

alx01
07-05-20, 17:31
In retrospect, my buying, trying, and selling only helped me prove or disprove that the grass was or was not greener with a particular firearm. I started with C&Rs, though, and there's a Pokemon element to that. I actually documented why I sold every gun to minimize regrets!

Most of our bad spending boils down to the fact that guns and accessories are hard to buy:

1. It's difficult to know what works for you until you try it. YouTube reviews and on-paper speeds and feeds don't substitute for hands-on experience.

3. Reviews are utterly dreadful. Non-comparative reviews don't help you choose between options. Instead, most reviews seem to validate existing purchases or stoke further buying and trying. But, even when they do help, that may not quench the "what if" fire.

4. Needs and wants vary considerably by person. Best example for me was the M14 vs. FAL. Internet wisdom declares the M14 garbage and the FAL godlike but my experience was completely the opposite.

5. Online advice devolves into "join my bandwagon". M4C is better than most about this.

6. They're regulated and taboo. Also, many gun stores still look and smell like the 1970s.

WOW, all good points and mirror my experience as well. Thank you for the honest outlook.

vandal5
07-05-20, 17:40
If I were doing it all over I think I'd end up very close to what I have. I probably would have based my current sbr off a 6920 instead of a Spiked but I'm not gonna lose any dleep over it.

Maybe go right to PRO instead of starting with a Vortex Sparc.

Just wish I'd of bern stocking up on ammo this whole time.

Novak
07-05-20, 17:42
I'd buy a couple of KAC ambi lowers, a couple of Colt Block II uppers (10.3 & 14.5), and get a Sandman-S. From there I'd focus on NODs.

What would you do, Euro?

grizzlyblake
07-05-20, 18:00
I actually did this before all the current panic.

Gen 5 G19s, Ameriglos, Tenicor Certums
16” ELW BCMs w/ 13” MCMRs, BFG sewn VCASs, Aimpoint PROs, Gen 3 Pmag 30s

3 AE
07-05-20, 18:09
Purchased a BCM 16" Lt. Wt. carbine about 10 years ago. Knowing what I know now, I should have gotten a Colt 6933 or a BCM 11.5-12.5 SBR and paid the $200 stamp. Then I would have budgeted for a Surefire SOCOM RC2 or Mini2 to complete the setup. But noooo... I had to be in that "screw paying the BATF for anything" frame of mind! Live and learn. Recently sold off the BCM and plan on getting a SBR if and when the supply chain opens up. Between that and adding a can, I'll probably be waiting for those stamps for over a year. Yes sir, live and learn.

As for my pistols, I should have waited and gotten a H&K VP9SK instead of the Walther PPS Classic, but I didn't have a crystal ball at the time. All in all I'm satisfied with the other rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers that I've acquired over the years.

mark5pt56
07-05-20, 18:49
More than likely look into non "M4" or lightweight profile barrels. Sure they are light but I think the standard or what we call mid weights are more useful for multiple rolls. Go back to 1913, the MRP's are just that. MLOK or KM, to slim in my opinion. When doing covers, rail for bipod or grip, you have to bridge the GB or the screws hit the GB.

If we could go into a store and do point of sale for SBR/suppressors, it would be a perfect world. Most of us would be sporting 11.5/12.5/14.5 guns with short cans.

Pistols?--that's like hitting the first floor of the marble palace on Kaiser Strasse

Straight Shooter
07-05-20, 19:05
Im good.

Renegade04
07-05-20, 19:31
With what I have invested into 47 AR-15s, a few SIGs (MCX, 516, and 556), a BRN-180, and my 1993 KAC SR-25 Match (w/factory Mk11 Mod 0 conversion), I would have a LOT of money to shop with to buy some of the very best money can buy. It would be hard to create a list without some serious thought. I am glad I have what I do. Not everyone is a fortunate.

ETA: I am not hurting for ammo either. :)

arptsprt
07-05-20, 19:43
I’ve been buying and collecting guns for over 30 years now. I have more than I’ll ever need or want at this point.

Playing along, a couple of things:

First, I suppose I’d say I wouldn’t have the number in my collection that I don’t shoot but what fun is that? No different than any other expensive hobbies and vices as a “collector”. But, I would’ve redirected some of the investment earlier into things like NV, training, higher capabilities/force multipliers with less.

Lastly, learning from all the panics over the years, biggest thing is I would have stocked up on ammo more... Did it for mags but ammo, more ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMS951
07-05-20, 20:03
I’m actually quite happy with most rifles I’ve bought or built.

First ‘good’ upper I bought was a LWRC in 2009. What a turd, unreliable crap, couldn’t feed to save it’s life. Beat itself to death as well. At the time I was considering a LMT MRP, boy do I wish I’d done that instead.

Second is keymod. I tried it before Mlok came out. I’d very happily not have a single key mod accessory in my collection. As soon as I had my first Mlok accessory I never considered another key mod one. I’m kind of shocked keymod is still a thing.

ABNAK
07-05-20, 20:13
If I sold everything I have now and had to buy everything new...

...I'd buy the same things.

Except my retro AR would have a 1:7 twist barrel instead of a 1:12.

Easy enough of a fix.

Budget
07-05-20, 20:25
I think about this all the time as I watch my friends and family sink deeper into gun buying.

2x SR15s (w/ at least one QDC), at least one 11.5 and maybe a 16
1x T2
1x PLHv2
2x MAWLs
1x S&B ATACR 1-8
1x OKW or Modlite IR or OWL
2x G19.5s with RMRs and X300s
Dual tube NODs

Several pallets of 223 and 9mm.

Ultimately I'm happy with my random assortment of guns but I generally only shoot Glocks and ARs.

Hammer_Man
07-05-20, 20:35
I wouldn't have wasted my money on building so many different AR pattern rifles. I recently sold off a lot of my collection, and only kept the most purpose driven stuff. All that money spent on tinkering could have bought NVGs, more ammo, and a carbine class or two.

Of the stuff I've kept, I'd change two things. First, I wish I would have chosen a SOCOM mini instead of an RC2. Secondly, I wish I selected a LPVO instead of an ACOG.

Vegas
07-05-20, 20:58
I would buy a BCM lower to match the upper I have for nothing other than OCD purposes. Seemed like every time I thought of doing it, I could never find one with an A5 tube to save me the hassle of switching the current one over. Ultimately, obviously it wasn't that important to me. Other than that, I am pretty squared away. I sold a bunch of stuff that wasn't being shot in 19 before the new laws kicked in here. Upgraded a bunch of stuff in the process.

RHINOWSO
07-05-20, 21:01
Sometimes you need the journey to get to a particular destination.

I have no real regrets.

ndmiller
07-05-20, 21:15
With almost a decade devoted to handguns and IDPA and my late start to rifles, I would:

-Replace my safe with a bigger one
-have less handguns and more rifles

I really wanted to get into some sort of long range precision shooting whether for fun or competition and just never did. I think 1/2 my IDPA time could have been spent on precision rifle or just rifle shooting. At this point too many other things in life taking up time from kids to motorcycles to kids with a little work thrown in.

MountainRaven
07-05-20, 21:17
Easy enough of a fix.

Will be, when 1:7 twist A1-contour barrels are available again.

uffdaphil
07-05-20, 21:23
I’m generally happy with where I am. In hindsight I would forego my 7.5” and 2 of the 16” builds for An LMT MWS .308. The big lesson learned is to skip trying budget scopes. With the money wasted I could now be happy with a Kahles and a couple of Nightforce optics.

JediGuy
07-05-20, 21:28
I’m good. Tried out and then sold off a bunch of stuff once I found out what I liked.

OK, two things. I do wish I had SBR’d a BCM lower instead of the PSA. And, I should have saved up a little more to get the Eotech instead of the Vortex UH-1.

Besides that, I have a suppressor in jail to go with a suppressed-only 11.5” upper, and I wish I’d purchased the suppressor sooner instead of trying out so many things.
I suppose I could convince myself that the Kino really isn’t that special, considering I love the handling of the Colt CCU upper, which I can take over state lines without concern and which feels lighter with a PST 1-6 and M600DF vs the Kino with a PST 1-4 and M300. So, the one thing I would change could only be changed if BCM or someone would improve the Kino concept: ELW or EMW with a .625 gas block and .625 front sight base. That would make me happy.

For pistols, just got some 6354DO’s to modify for my PPQ M2’s. I shouldn’t have wasted even a small amount of money on a used Trex Sidecar. Nothing wrong with the Sidecar...except... I will never conceal a PPQ.

Again, not much I would change along the way. Had to try out some stuff to see what worked for me. Enjoyed learning how things work. And even if I sold all four uppers and two lowers that remain for what I paid for them or their parts, I am sure I couldn’t purchase two (short and long) KAC’s with the cash.

ABNAK
07-05-20, 21:37
Will be, when 1:7 twist A1-contour barrels are available again.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I always shake my head when the purist collectors or clone-meisters pooh pooh a 1:7 twist on a "vintage" gun. You can't see what twist the barrel is so why would it matter, except to make your clone even more worthy of deployment if you had to. My Brownell's XM177 clone has the 1:7 twist.....

and now the segue back to the thread.....

which brings me to wonder what practical purpose that XM177 serves. The barrel is 12.5" long with a fake moderator P/W on. No flattop so no RDS, irons only (of course I cut my teeth on irons back before the Aimpoint stuff was standard issue). Only 2 positions on the buffer tube. Why do I still have it? Cool factor? Maybe a little. "Worthiness" in today's gun world? Maybe not so much: fake 4+" added to muzzle, and no option for optics unless you want a jaw-weld on your stock.

Meh, I think I'll keep it. :sarcastic:

Diamondback
07-05-20, 21:42
First thing, no way would I let ANYBODY zero out what I have. One particular sidearm has irreplaceable sentimental value, as it's all I have to remember someone once very special to me by.

Take that and the girlfriend's C8 off the table, and then we'll talk. Instead of going uber-gadget-freak with Keymod and all kinds of Mall Ninja Whizbang on the Anderson lower I bought to support a local forum, make that the first lower for my M4gery then swap in an Aero later. (Anderson to be reconstituted around a more basic upper as a .22LR plinker.) From there, put more budget into 62gr Fusion/Gold Dot, FBI Load and Mk 262. Skip the Shockwave Blade on the pistol and go straight to SBM4. Other than that, main change would be get started earlier--and maybe get an M1 Carbine and a few of the WWII bolt-guns before prices on them went crazy.

Jellybean
07-05-20, 21:50

Ah, the regret/wishlist of someone who always had to big of a budget to spend on guns... :laugh:

In retrospect, my buying, trying, and selling only helped me prove or disprove that the grass was or was not greener with a particular firearm....

This is all the very unfortunate truth.

Also, many gun stores still look and smell like the 1970s.
Hey, that's the last few whiffs of freedom you've got there mate. Enjoy it while you can.

So what would I do different...

Well, I'd still buy Daniel Defense.
Or BCM.

I wouldn't have wasted time with AR pistols and just bought an X95. Or maybe just a couple extra ARs.
Shoulda bought a couple cheap 6920s so I could get some lunatic to pay $900 for the lowers. :laugh:

Frankly, thanks to this forum I made fairly few drastic mistakes with guns. It was the soft gear that was my undoing...

tb-av
07-05-20, 21:51
Buy more than i did.

masenomics
07-05-20, 22:55
I'd have 5 less ARs and have about 5k more in 556 and 308 ammo and a few more training classes. Also I would have spent more on premium optics, nods and lasers.

Zane1844
07-06-20, 00:34
Build exactly what I have now, except I'd put the money spent I've spent trying different LPVOs to having an extra 16" AR and 9mm carry pistol.

the_fernie
07-06-20, 04:55
I started slimming down my weapons end of last year. I would not get more than 2 or 3 AR's, I would keep both my G19 & sig 365. Definitely skip all the cheap shit I've bought i.e.: BCA uppers, Chinese/low tier optics, PSA, ar9, and a tnw asr. Most the stuff i sold at a small loss. I'm really considering a MP5 clone or vector currently.
I wouldn't changed my current ar15s but definitely get suppressors for both.

geissele duty upper 11.5 w griffin Reece 5
griffin m2 sights
sig tango 1-6 scope w aero mount
aero m4e1 lower w sba3
rise armament 434 trigger

my wife's been upgraded from a PSA to something I don't have to worry about failing her

Springfield saint victor with the included sights
a sig romeo5, going to be upgrading to a trijicon mro soon.
would add another griffin can to have the same taper mounts.

I would keep my mp15-22! its a good practice tool & cheap to shoot.

definitely would buy some quality slings & might have some cash for nods

The_War_Wagon
07-06-20, 06:56
Nothing.

I have some Colt ARs, and some Glock 17s, 17Ks, and 43s.

Ton of mags, ammo, parts/support gear for everything.

Ditto.

I have 4 AR's I can bet my life on, 1911's to spare, ammo & mags aplenty. MUCH more than $3k worth (I have more than that just in $10 a piece PMags). $3k is chump change, and you're 4 mos. too late to buy what you want with it anyways.

matemike
07-06-20, 07:03
If I could go back I would not have not SBS'd my benelli. (I have a spare hunting barrel, but the SBS barrel is almost unused, it's just for fun)

And I would have bought quality AR's in 2006 instead of 2008+ due to prices.

And I would have about four G19's (2 Gen 3 and 2 Gen 4)
instead of my one G19 (with lots of spare parts), a Baretta 92FS, A Sig P229, a S&W shield, and a Springfield XDm. I'm all over the place when it comes to handguns.

AndyLate
07-06-20, 07:48
If I could go back I would not have not SBS'd my benelli. (I have a spare hunting barrel, but the SBS barrel is almost unused, it's just for fun)

And I would have bought quality AR's in 2006 instead of 2008+ due to prices.

And I would have about four G19's (2 Gen 3 and 2 Gen 4)
instead of my one G19 (with lots of spare parts), a Baretta 92FS, A Sig P229, a S&W shield, and a Springfield XDm. I'm all over the place when it comes to handguns.

I'm all over the map with handguns as well (I have 2 CZ 82s for goodness sake). I plan on "thinning the herd" this year. I should have done it before ammo spiked on cost and components became so thin. It means the money from gun sales will just go into the bank, so to speak.

Andy

OldState
07-06-20, 07:55
I wouldn’t change much. I can thank my lifelong fear of buyers remorse for that. I absolutely hate the sick feeling I get when I realize I didn’t make the best choice I could have for my needs. This is with anything not just guns.

It pays off to never impulsively buy anything as I’ve found you often end up with something totally different than you first planned if you take time to research and contemplate.

When I first made the decision to buy an AR I decided I wanted a defensive rifle as most of my gun collection was competition focused. Everyone I talked to was pushing Rock River Arms (circa 2009). By everyone I mean the guys at the club, every gun store, and several LEOs I knew and shot with. Almost went with that but started researching online. I found this forum and ended up with a LE6920...plus a shit ton of knowledge. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Bought my first AR almost two years after I intended but I’m sooo glad I waited.

26 Inf
07-06-20, 08:27
Let’s assume for purposes of this discussion there wasn’t a global Scamdemic and massive civil unrest. Prices are “normal” and things are available.

Let’s assume you have zero guns at all but the exact dollar value of your *current* collection in liquid cash (IE this isn’t a “fantasy” build thread. If you have 3 ARs worth $1000 each your budget for this thread is $3k)

I currently have 15 AR's and 4 uppers. I put them all together (I have purchased several complete uppers and one complete lower)so I'm guessing on average I have 700 each in the rifles w/0 optics. Let's call my budget $11,000.

I would keep/buy:

LaRue 6.5 Grendel

Aero .308

20 in free float - rifle gas

16 inch free float rifle gas (13.7 pinned)

16 inch mid-length M4gery

16 inch M4gery carbine gas (13.7 pinned)

10.5 inch FSB SBR w/law folder

10.5 inch free float SBR

White Oak Service Rifle

9 inch .300BO SBR

16 in dedicated 22 trainer

20 in dedicated service rifle trainer

So I'd end up with 12 rifles and spend the excess money on two scopes, one LPVO, and a better one for the .308.

AndyLate
07-06-20, 08:30
I have to say, when it comes to ARs, reading a LOT here prior to buying/building my first was invaluable. I bought a 16" lw BCM upper assy w/bcg, folding rear and AP PRO and completed a stripped lower with BCM and ALG parts. I did change the grip and trigger to BCM later and replace the optic with am MRO, but the original parts just rolled into new builds.

Andy

gunnerblue
07-06-20, 09:17
I have a few high end hunting rifles that don't see much use. I've put them up for sale before but couldn't get the asking price I wanted. Still considering selling them at a loss and investing in night vision or something collectible that will hold/increase in value. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a LNIB Colt Python in 2011 for $850. It was the target model in .38 Special and I felt, at the time, that I didn't want a Python that wasn't a .357 Magnum. As far as AR's and semi auto handguns go, I only have a handful of each and they're all used for their intended purpose so no regrets there.

SiGfever
07-06-20, 09:24
If I knew then what I know now. I would have rented multiple pistols until I found the one that I shot the best and bought two. Two LE6920's, a metric shite ton of ammo, and take every course that I could to make me the weapon.

Sry0fcr
07-06-20, 09:45

I can't say that I'd do too much differently. I was on here and paying attention long before I started buying carbines so I had the benefit of watching most of you guys dick things up over the years. :sarcastic: Thanks for that BTW. Seriously.

I just wish I didn't let my son put Strike Industries shit on his 6920... :jester:

RHINOWSO
07-06-20, 09:46
I will say I did a bit of 're-aligning' the year before the 2016 election - went all Glocks for serious handguns (utility / sustainability, when you can make a Glock using no Glock OEM parts) and concentrated more on AR15s. I still have some 'strange' on hand, but it's mostly a Glock / AR thing these days. I don't regret having SCARs / HKs / Berettas and sold off some safe dwellers.

Circle_10
07-06-20, 11:56
While I don’t intend to get rid of the six AKs and four SKSs that I have, if I were doing it all over again now I think I would buy a lot fewer of them. Going out and blasting at the range with a Kalashnikov is fun a couple times a year, but I sure AF don’t need six of the damn things for that.

I’d skip buying the Glock 23 I’ve had since 2006

And I would probably skip buying most of the small number of old milsurps that I have. They are neat but I thought I was going to be more interested in them than I ended up being.

The money I saved on the above items would probably be diverted to ammo. Because I never have as much as I think I should.

SA80Dan
07-06-20, 13:14
Knowing what I know now regarding ARs (and what I knew within months of first purchase), the only thing I'd have done differently would have been not buy a complete rifle as I did my first one - I enjoy cherry picking individual parts and putting them together myself.

Fatorangecat
07-06-20, 13:15
I don't have a collection. I have 2 6920's one with an MRO and one suppressed with a stainless barrel and a Nightforce. I have two 9mms. I would build exactly what I have now. Everything has a sling, light, mags, ammo, and holsters. If I knew then what I know now I would have wasted a lot less money on dumb shit like overpriced custom built AKs. Seriously the WASR does everything the Rifle Dynamics gun will....

vicious_cb
07-06-20, 13:24
The hard truth behind getting ready for the coming decade is that you should probably get rid of any gun that isnt an AR. Your gun safe should looks like an arms room, nothing buts ARs, Glocks or whatever modern duty pistol family you choose, ammo and spare parts.

Pappabear
07-06-20, 14:19
Oh boy I have thought about this many many times. My thought was always, if my house burned to the ground and the safes didn't protect, (which I think they would) what would I buy today. Ive got so much shit its stupid.

1) SR15 with NX1-18 w/KAC can
2) Colt 6945, Aimpoint, DT Sig 556 can
Done with AR's

3) Tactical Bolt guns: .223-6.5CM-300WM with cans, maybe another 300 for hunting

4) Handguns: 9mm sub-compact, one full sized, one competition gun if full sized didn't render good enough with RDS's

5) 12g and 20g shotguns for bird hunting

6) Be hard to not own a full sized revolver and 1911, but do I need 8 of each, probably not.

Its just ridiculous the crap I've bought and am too lazy to sell. Maybe this thread will get me going. I need to set up my own Gunbroker account and get dirty.

PB

jpmuscle
07-06-20, 14:49
I’d buy;

one SR-15 with an LPVO
Colt mk18 mod1 with an comp M4s
PEQs and cans for both
1/2 dozen G19/17s

Stock pile Colt SOCOM barrels, BCGs, lowers etc.
Ammo, parts, etc

Danus ex
07-06-20, 16:46
While my gun collection was a mess for a long time, I'm better than most about buying sufficient quantities of ammunition. Along that line, another idiot thing I did was buy ~20000 rounds each of 7.62x54R after my first love (Finn Mosins), then 7.62x39 after getting into AKs, then 5.45 after getting into AK-74s, then 7.62 NATO after FALs. Shit was cheaper then.

All the Soviet stuff's gone now. I got sick of ammo after that and never bought the one cartridge I should have. So all my ARs are AR-10s.

RHINOWSO
07-06-20, 17:14
buying sufficient quantities of ammunition.
While I think people have gotten better about this, it's still a point to work on. I've set 'ammo goals', or numbers to get above and stay above, instead of buying a yearly allowance, then shooting most of it, then rebuying next year. I've gotten north of most of what I wanted, which gives me 5+ years of 'normal shooting / training' or fricking decades if I'd go to max conserve.

Buying ammo monthly (up until now) has been helpful, like dollar cost averaging in stocks. Of course I wish I had been more aggressive in buying again after the holidays before the R & R hit (Rona and the Riots), but I'm still more than good.

Because all the weapons in the world aren't worth much if you can't shoot them.

MountainRaven
07-06-20, 17:38
The hard truth behind getting ready for the coming decade is that you should probably get rid of any gun that isnt an AR. Your gun safe should looks like an arms room, nothing buts ARs, Glocks or whatever modern duty pistol family you choose, ammo and spare parts.

Why? You planning to issue out LE6920s and G19s to your neighbors?

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-06-20, 18:01
I am very content with what I have now by way of rifles and handguns.

9mm Glocks with a bunch of spare parts to keep them running a long time
Colt, LMT, and BCM AR's with a bunch of spare parts to keep them running a long time
A safe full of ammo to keep them running a long time

dlrflyer
07-06-20, 18:07
I wouldn’t do much differently. I would have held onto the preban Eagle Arms XM177 copy I had with aluminum telestock. I would have sold the SCAR17s back during the election scare when people were paying up to $8000 for them and $150 a magazine. But I foolishly didn’t because I thought it was the best heavy carbine and it wasn’t. I wish I had bought AK’s when they were cheap along with the Bulgarian poly waffles. I wouldn’t have bought 2 pricey 1911’s, instead maybe found a nice used SIG P210 instead. And lastly wish I had bought more surplus guns and ammo when it was all coming in. I know they are not tactical, but still fun to shoot.

Coal Dragger
07-06-20, 23:28
If I lost it all in a fire and had to replace it:

1.) KAC SR-15 16” with LPVO probably a Nightforce.

2.) Same as above with an Aimpoint Comp M5.

Spare parts kits, magazines, slings, and lights for the above. Pretty much done with 5.56mm guns at that point, I suppose maybe a Colt M4A1 identical to my SOCOM II. If I could snag the Daniel Defense made version with their hammer forged M4A1 contour barrel and RIS II that would be great too.

Pistols I would just get a couple of optic ready Wilson Combat EDC X9’s, one 4” and one 5” and a pile of magazines for them. Probably stick RMR 2’s on them due to battery life being better than my ACRO P-1. I’d probably pick up a Wilson Combat CQB that was optic ready as well.

I’d have to get another Freedom Arms M83 identical time my current one. So no change there.

Same for my rimfire rifles, I love them and wouldn’t change a thing.

Rimfire match pistol, I guess I’d go for a Pardini since they’re still supported in the US unlike my old Benelli.

If I had the funds I’d replace my current hunting rifle, a Cooper M52 in .280 AI with a precision oriented bolt action rifle. I don’t hunt much anymore, and would rather bang steel that kill critters I have no interest in eating.

MWAG19919
07-07-20, 03:02
I wouldn’t have bought that Waffen Werks 74 as my first rifle. Or I would’ve at least bought a 74 and several cases of 7n6 when I was 18 instead of when I was 22 and the shit got banned a few months later. Instead I would’ve started off with a 14.5” BCM lightweight middy with an FSB and a 9” FF rail as my “general” carbine. Probably wouldn’t have waited 3 years to take a training course either; three rounds fired before training were mostly wasted compared to the rounds I’ve fired since.

Buncheong
07-07-20, 03:07
I would not have bought any C & R USGI guns. Increasingly they bring me nothing but stress and misery. Prices are so high you’ll lose $200 of value if you scratch the parkerizing. Spare stocks and handguards in original condition have disappeared into the vaults of hoarders, there to stay until their widow has to dispose of everything.

Wish I’d kept my Gen 3 Glock 19 and Mossberg 590A1. I was stupid to sell those.

Wouldn’t have bought so many Colts.

ChattanoogaPhil
07-07-20, 08:00
Starting over... If I had known then what I know now. I'd have the same rifle absent the parts box.

Straight Shooter
07-07-20, 08:38

Other than adding a combat ready 12gauge- I agree 100%.

PracticalRifleman
07-07-20, 09:01
Only things I’d have done differently would be getting into competitive shooting and training sooner and possibly purchasing fewer “compromise” optics. Lights are changing so quickly there is no “shoulda”.

hotrodder636
07-07-20, 11:06
I don’t think I would have done much differently. I would likely still have 90% of the stuff I already have.

What I would have done differently: I would not have built an AR308 (very accurate for a gas gun but very long and heavy). I just don’t shoot it much and didn’t really have a POU for it when I built it. I much prefer my MK12 for a ‘precision gas gun’ and my bolt action 6.5CM for LR.

I would not have bought the Wilson Combat Brig-Tac had I known about the LTT Elite-now I have an unfired WCBT that I have and don’t want even though I love the Beretta 92 FOW.

Lastly I traded a Gen 4 G19 (still had BTF issues after changing ejector/extractor with Apex FRE) for an HK 45 USPc—I wish it was a full size 9mm USP. But I came out way on top on that deal, so I don’t know that I would have done it differently.

Coal Dragger
07-07-20, 13:44
I think having a .45 ACP in the current state of ammo availability is a good thing, same for .40 S&W. You can still get ammo and reloading components, where 9mm is a go fornicate yourself proposition.

Hank6046
07-07-20, 14:05
I would have bought a M&P AR 22 and trained on that in my spare time to save money on ammo... I still haven't done this, and am looking at a new AR10 currently, so shame on me.

L-2
07-07-20, 14:17
What I'd do differently regarding AR-stuff is to not have bought my Springfield-Armory Saint MLOK and, instead, bought some other brand (maybe another BCM, which I've also got one; or a Daniel Defense I was really looking hard at, but didn't buy due to its higher price).

In another thread, I described how it took me 2 years of shooting a few thousand rounds of ammo, only to determine I had a problem with primers intermittently blowing out.

It then took six weeks (including shipping both ways; ~week in each direction) for Springfield-Armory to fix the rifle by reaming the barrel chamber-leade and more ammo to verify things were now ok.

While I learned more about what could go or be wrong with an AR, I'd rather have just had a 100% working rifle with every round fired gone toward training and honing my AR shooting skills.

Eurodriver
07-07-20, 16:31
I'd buy a couple of KAC ambi lowers, a couple of Colt Block II uppers (10.3 & 14.5), and get a Sandman-S. From there I'd focus on NODs.

What would you do, Euro?

Have about $10,000 extra in my bank account and only the following:

One beater 6920 w/ an Aimpoint
Proven short nightvision setup
Accurate 12.5” w/ magnified optic

Pappabear
07-07-20, 16:34
I think having a .45 ACP in the current state of ammo availability is a good thing, same for .40 S&W. You can still get ammo and reloading components, where 9mm is a go fornicate yourself proposition.

That's a damn good point. I have over a 1k in 45 and could get more if need be.

PB

R.O.U.S.
07-07-20, 16:58
If I could do everything over again?

I would not have bought a Daniel Defense rifle.

I would have been happier with a 6920.

PracticalRifleman
07-07-20, 17:46
If I could do everything over again?

I would not have bought a Daniel Defense rifle.

I would have been happier with a 6920.

Care to share your thoughts as to why?

RobertTheTexan
07-07-20, 18:00
1. I would not have bought the first couple of pistols I bought. (Springfield XDs's) I would have bought Glock's as I have now.
2. I would not have sold my 12" LaRue Stealth AR.
3. I would not have sold my 18" SPR
4. I would not have sold my first precision 308.
5. I would not have built the gazillion AR's for myself because I spent thousands and thousands and thousands building so many AR's. Rather I would have what I have now, plus my 12" LaRue, 18" SPR, and 308. I would have focused that money on having all AR's NV equipped, 2 short barrel AR's with EOTech's and everything else other except the precision 308 would have an LPVO, 1-8 and 1-10's)
6. I would have mini-4's on all my 5.56, 762 SDN-6's on my 300BLK and precision 308, and a Rugged Micro30 on my battle rifle (16" 308)

I've always followed my "Rule of Commonality" with calibers. I've only focused on 9mm, 5.56 and 308.
Although I have gained a ton of experience in all those builds and I did have a blast building them like it was the zombie apocalypse.

nightchief
07-07-20, 19:10
I wouldn't have F'd around with some of the handguns I've acquired or the idiotic Olympic Arms "A2" I bought thinking an AR was an AR. I would have bought suppressors earlier and in greater quantity for 30 cal, 556 and 45. I would pursuit good NV gear, like PVS-15 or 31 and thermal. And full power laser/illuminators, though this is like getting a juice loan from a loan shark.

And its not possible to have enough ammo, unless we're talking over 100K of each caliber. It's just not that hard to burn through 5-8K 223/556/9mm annually.

Eurodriver
07-07-20, 20:14
I wouldn't have F'd around with some of the handguns I've acquired or the idiotic Olympic Arms "A2" I bought thinking an AR was an AR. I would have bought suppressors earlier and in greater quantity for 30 cal, 556 and 45. I would pursuit good NV gear, like PVS-15 or 31 and thermal. And full power laser/illuminators, though this is like getting a juice loan from a loan shark.

And its not possible to have enough ammo, unless we're talking over 100K of each caliber. It's just not that hard to burn through 5-8K 223/556/9mm annually.

Better pay up. People don’t like DEADBEATS

nightchief
07-07-20, 20:19
Better pay up. People don’t like DEADBEATS

See what I mean...Chili Palmer's got nothing on a Euroloan

Revolution37
07-08-20, 04:44
I would’ve bought more ammo. I love all 4 of my ARs, but I would be happy with my one 11.5” SBR and suppressor and a pile of ammo to shoot.

Sid Post
07-08-20, 09:38

I would buy another KAC SR-15 and add a KAC SR-25. I have good AR-15's but, my SR-15 is at another level and I can do stuff with it I simply can't with my level of training with my other 'good' AR-15s.

1986s4
07-08-20, 09:55
Quite happy with most of what I have now.. What few changes I would make would go to a Trijicon acog in 1.5x I saw last year.. Dang it, wish I had not passed on that. More ammo too.
Like many here I have consolidated, mostly, on 9mm and 5.56 but once again the value of an alternate caliber has proven it's worth. In my A.O. 9 x 19 is all but impossible to find, even the interwebz. I was thinking about my recent conversion of my .38 super auto Colt to 9 x 19 when I was shopping for more 9mm. Then it hit me, I still have the .38 super barrel...! and .38 super isn't flying off the shelves either at my LGS or the interwebz. So I scored some and once again happy to have a less than popular alternative.

grizzlyblake
07-08-20, 10:12
I have good AR-15's but, my SR-15 is at another level and I can do stuff with it I simply can't with my level of training with my other 'good' AR-15s.

I definitely need to hear more details on this.

R.O.U.S.
07-08-20, 12:45
Care to share your thoughts as to why?

TLDR: While the rifle was reliable, I feel like DD is a poor value, and is leaning too much into being a lifestyle company.

I am aware that what I’m going to write doesn’t make the most logical sense, but I can’t stop myself from being sour. There are a lot of AR related things I bought, but I just condensed my previous post to only what I regretted most.

I bought a DD V7S 11.5” SBR after trying out a friends DD MK18. I don’t have the receipt, but I think it was over $1600 + 10% sales tax + $200 tax stamp, and possibly another fee I can’t remember.

I was stoked after receiving the tax stamp, but my enthusiasm ran out quick over the following reasons.

The barrel was over-gassed. Much worse than the DD MK18 model. My experience with, and without Knight’s QDC CRS, and QDC CQB suppressors were poor.

Bought various carbine buffers to tame the recoil. I even bought a 8.5 oz carbine buffer, but even that didn’t help.

Bought a Vltor A5 system tube, and buffer. It was only a band aid.

The rifle didn’t come with sights. (Not unusual for rifles, but I would have appreciated something for the price)

While I initially liked the furniture, I grew to dislike it. Bought replacements.

The castle nut holding the receiver extension is objectively worse than standard mil-spec. The factory staking was ineffectual. Bought a replacement, and tools to install it.

The plastic safety was uncomfortable, and in my opinion worse than mil-spec. Bought replacement safety.

Learned about BRT gas tubes. Bought a few including the suppressed carbine gas tube. Rifle still didn’t feel right. Stripped the bolts holding the rail using during installation. Bought replacement bolts.

I’ve sunk a lot of money into the rifle, and it feels like a mutant hodge podge of AR bits. I’m disappointed. While it doesn’t make financial sense, I would get rid of the SBR lower if there was a way to do it. I can buy a replacement upper, but I’m mentally done with the rifle. The kicker is, I had a Colt 6721 that I was happy with but sold to fund this.

PracticalRifleman
07-08-20, 13:10
TLDR: While the rifle was reliable, I feel like DD is a poor value, and is leaning too much into being a lifestyle company.

I am aware that what I’m going to write doesn’t make the most logical sense, but I can’t stop myself from being sour. There are a lot of AR related things I bought, but I just condensed my previous post to only what I regretted most.

I bought a DD V7S 11.5” SBR after trying out a friends DD MK18. I don’t have the receipt, but I think it was over $1600 + 10% sales tax + $200 tax stamp, and possibly another fee I can’t remember.

I was stoked after receiving the tax stamp, but my enthusiasm ran out quick over the following reasons.

The barrel was over-gassed. Much worse than the DD MK18 model. My experience with, and without Knight’s QDC CRS, and QDC CQB suppressors were poor.

Bought various carbine buffers to tame the recoil. I even bought a 8.5 oz carbine buffer, but even that didn’t help.

Bought a Vltor A5 system tube, and buffer. It was only a band aid.

The rifle didn’t come with sights. (Not unusual for rifles, but I would have appreciated something for the price)

While I initially liked the furniture, I grew to dislike it. Bought replacements.

The castle nut holding the receiver extension is objectively worse than standard mil-spec. The factory staking was ineffectual. Bought a replacement, and tools to install it.

The plastic safety was uncomfortable, and in my opinion worse than mil-spec. Bought replacement safety.

Learned about BRT gas tubes. Bought a few including the suppressed carbine gas tube. Rifle still didn’t feel right. Stripped the bolts holding the rail using during installation. Bought replacement bolts.

I’ve sunk a lot of money into the rifle, and it feels like a mutant hodge podge of AR bits. I’m disappointed. While it doesn’t make financial sense, I would get rid of the SBR lower if there was a way to do it. I can buy a replacement upper, but I’m mentally done with the rifle. The kicker is, I had a Colt 6721 that I was happy with but sold to fund this.

Ironically, I’ve a friend wanting a DD rifle and DD SBR. I’ve pleaded with him the juice isn’t worth the squeeze for all the reasons you’ve stated.

I did purchase a DD PDW “pistol” and I believe with the brace, the value is a little better. I also purchased a “used” DD M4V7. I don’t care for the furniture but it works ok. I gave $1,000 OTD for it and it appeared to be unused. I think a $1,000-1,200 would be an appropriate price for the rifles but not the $1600 they sell for.

Coal Dragger
07-08-20, 14:15
I definitely need to hear more details on this.

I cannot speak for him, but can relate that my SR-15 has pretty much relegated my other AR’s to the safe.

Pretty much any realistic practical task you could ask a 5.56mm carbine to do, the SR-15 is easier to get it done with than my other AR’s. The damn thing is just one of those guns that seems to want to shoot well, and makes it easy to do your part. For example the longer gas system, and appropriately ported barrel give it a nice smooth recoil impulse compared to my other 16” AR’s. Very comparable to a 20” rifle length gas, except 4” shorter and considerably lighter.

Another bonus, the SR-15 manages to turn in very good repeatable accuracy with a wide variety of decent ammo, and it doesn’t require a bull barrel to do it, none of the other parts are grossly overweight either. The MLOK rail on mine alone cuts weight by doubling as the barrel but, a great feature Knights has on the SR-15, it is simple and strong while cutting weight. The out of the box trigger is excellent, the included iron sights are great, the gun ships with everything you need aside from a sling and an optic. So for the money it’s actually not a bad value at all.

So summing up the SR-15 is a nice light handy carbine with soft gas drive/recoil, a great trigger, and good accuracy. This combination makes it my “go to”.

Hank6046
07-08-20, 15:00

Did you ever talk to DD about this? Mk18 clones first came out and were over gassed (.083) and I know recently (2017-18) that they went to the .072 gas port sizing. I bought a V7 16" upper just over a year ago and noticed that the rail mounting screws were stripped, they had me send it in and took care of it in no time.

R.O.U.S.
07-08-20, 23:12
Did you ever talk to DD about this? Mk18 clones first came out and were over gassed (.083) and I know recently (2017-18) that they went to the .072 gas port sizing. I bought a V7 16" upper just over a year ago and noticed that the rail mounting screws were stripped, they had me send it in and took care of it in no time.

I could always try again, but I don't have much hope.

Achilles11B
07-08-20, 23:18
I would have started with Glock and stayed there instead of starting with an XD and working my way over.

I think I’m good where I’m at. Everything has a purpose. For some, the purpose is strictly fun and that’s ok.

m1a_scoutguy
07-09-20, 00:38
Oh boy,where to begin !! I was just a hunting gun kinda guy for waaaay to long and never had/took much interest in anything else. But with that said if I knew waaay back then what I know now, things would be a little different LOL I'm an old dog so yea I was around before Glocks were so I was always a 1911 guy. I had Ruger Blackhawks for hunting and blasting but nothing very "tactical" ! Other than my 1st Colt Government Model my next Semi was a S&W Sigma in 40S&W. I know they were terrible guns with a nasty trigger but dam, I shot the hell out of it and never had a problem with it & I shot it a lot ! So with that out of the way if I could do it over again I would have multiple M1a Devine Rifles, a few NM and a few Standards. If you don't know what a Devine is,look it up,LOL M1 Garrands and most Military Surplus were a dime a dozen, anything from M1D rifles,NM, Standard Service grade with Hand Pick option,1903A3s,etc,,,The early days of the DCM and then the CMP programs, rifles were top quality and friggin cheap. And if you looked,picked good ones your return is almost 10 fold,,crazy I know. I like my ARs and would have a few Colts no doubt,I built and sold so many Uppers/Lowers I can't even remember, LOL All were quality builds, DD bbls, Centurion Arms,FN,,etc all with good rails, BCG etc,but all were just that,,parts & pieces so down the road they went & funded the next one. I probably have more ammo than most but I'm sure less than others but I'm good with the 3 major ones,556/308/30/06 for rifles.
So bottom line,more M1a rifles,more M1 Garands,more 1903A3s. I'm just a steel and Wood kinda guy, plus the History they have and the story they could tell if they could. I have my Glocks/CZs and a couple quality built ARs so in the big picture I'm pretty happy where I'm at !

Sid Post
07-09-20, 05:30
I cannot speak for him, but can relate that my SR-15 has pretty much relegated my other AR’s to the safe.

Pretty much any realistic practical task you could ask a 5.56mm carbine to do, the SR-15 is easier to get it done with than my other AR’s. The damn thing is just one of those guns that seems to want to shoot well, and makes it easy to do your part. For example the longer gas system, and appropriately ported barrel give it a nice smooth recoil impulse compared to my other 16” AR’s. Very comparable to a 20” rifle length gas, except 4” shorter and considerably lighter.

Another bonus, the SR-15 manages to turn in very good repeatable accuracy with a wide variety of decent ammo, and it doesn’t require a bull barrel to do it, none of the other parts are grossly overweight either. The MLOK rail on mine alone cuts weight by doubling as the barrel but, a great feature Knights has on the SR-15, it is simple and strong while cutting weight. The out of the box trigger is excellent, the included iron sights are great, the gun ships with everything you need aside from a sling and an optic. So for the money it’s actually not a bad value at all.

So summing up the SR-15 is a nice light handy carbine with soft gas drive/recoil, a great trigger, and good accuracy. This combination makes it my “go to”.

Your summary matches mine pretty well. Put simply, I can hit a nasty dog running full out with my SR-15 that I have missed previously with my friends match AR-15 and mine. I can nail stuff with the cheapest M193 ball ammo that I cannot hit with his match gun and MK-262 or similar match ammo. It's almost like the SR-15 puts little homing seeker bullets in the cartridges and lazes the target while the bullet is in flight.

My buddy who shot marksmanship in the military commented that it was the smoothest rifle he ever fired but was a real #$%* to zero because each of the 1/4 minute clicks on my scope moved the tight little cluster of holes in his target a quarter inch. Sure enough, his target had 4 groups equally spaced around the bullseye.

The rifle itself is a natural pointer. Not too heavy or light. Not too heavy on the forearm either. It swings smoothly on moving targets and the target never leaves the crosshairs on my scope as I fire. It is the only AR-15 I have that I can watch the bullets fly into the puff of red mist that was the cow chasing, chicken killing, etc. dog. The last one I shot was at a dead run at me and I literally put it into his open mouth mid-stride. I have also been attacked by 'pets' so, a growling snarling dog collared or not is not going to get a piece of me. That is easily worth significant money to me as the ER visit or urgent care co-pay fees are significant where I live in rural Texas.

"Out of the box", the only thing this rifle needed was ammo and a sling. The factory sights are the best in the business so, I consider the scope (ACOG in my case) optional. No fiddling with buffer weights to avoid gas in the face with a suppressor or ejection port noise. No desire to replace the trigger (even after shooting optimized match rifles). The forearm rail is super solid without being heavy. Overall, an exceptionally well-balanced rifle. Some day, I might need to perform a malfunction drill but, I've practiced enough with my other rifles so no worries there if that unlikely event ever occurs with my SR-15.

Did I mention I'm done working on AR-15's? If they are built right in the first place, why would you need to replace triggers, forearm rails, buffer weights, etc.?

grizzlyblake
07-09-20, 06:24
I can nail stuff with the cheapest M193 ball ammo that I cannot hit with his match gun and MK-262 or similar match ammo.

Range, target size, and details on the "match gun" please.

grizzlyblake
07-09-20, 06:25
Hey Euro, let's hear what you would do differently.

kyjd75
07-09-20, 13:37
This has been an interesting read. The general consensus, although certainly not unanimous, is that 2 or 3 KAC SR-15/SR-25 rifles would be better than a bunch of lesser brand rifles. I've fairly happy with what I have, but if I were starting over, I believe I would also be in the KAC SR-15 club. No matter how many rifles you have, you can only shoot them one at a time. I raised by a father who believed in "quality over quantity." That certainly applies the firearms I have now, but having a KAC or two would only make it better.

bluegreen
07-09-20, 13:42
I've had some time to think about this lately. No surprise, more focus on shooting and less on acquiring. Fewer and better optics, less guns, more ammo. I would have bought soft armor sooner. I needed to train in it more.

Having another TA-33 GH would be better than a few surplus red dots I've gone through. As much as I've enjoyed building a few fun project uppers, I haven't really gotten the value out of them I expected? I'm glad I've got the firsthand experience of building them and the ballistic experiences of shooting different barrel lengths and profiles. But looking back, shooting my 11.5 Sionics and 16" midlength more would have been a better use of time and resources.

Pappabear
07-09-20, 13:52
This has been an interesting read. The general consensus, although certainly not unanimous, is that 2 or 3 KAC SR-15/SR-25 rifles would be better than a bunch of lesser brand rifles. I've fairly happy with what I have, but if I were starting over, I believe I would also be in the KAC SR-15 club. No matter how many rifles you have, you can only shoot them one at a time. I raised by a father who believed in "quality over quantity." That certainly applies the firearms I have now, but having a KAC or two would only make it better.

That's a good point, Ole Jack is smiling right now.

PB

RHINOWSO
07-09-20, 14:03

You mean this month? Or last month? The Canada move COA was pretty straightforward, albeit weird...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-KSB6lZfHL0k%2FUX-itoraKeI%2FAAAAAAAALh0%2Fto-I16Zl_84%2Fs1600%2FRicky-Gervais.gif&f=1&nofb=1

taliv
07-09-20, 15:51
hard to imagine i'd be where i am now without trying all those other guns out first, but if i magically could, the biggest thing i would do different is buy multiples of things i like. right now, no two of my ARs are the same. they're all quite nice. awesome HD gun. awesome general purpose one. and i've done a lot of first of a kinds, with sub 5 lb and take down builds that everyone has now. so i don't really want to part with them but i never take them out of the safe.

i'd basically just like 2x my HD gun and 2x my GP one.

ColtSeavers
07-09-20, 16:33

You mean this month? Or last month? The Canada move COA was pretty straightforward, albeit weird...

Wow, that was a sad rabbit hole. Leaving the USA, wanting to renounce cirizenship, turning in for destruction of nfa as opposed to passing freedom on and selling everything else.

Damn marine, wtf happened?

pag23
07-09-20, 17:19
I would have read more..bought a better first rifle, go to range, get more proficient, post some questions, then read some more, add on things, then read some more...then post questions

MountainRaven
07-09-20, 20:20
but was a real #$%* to zero because each of the 1/4 minute clicks on my scope moved the tight little cluster of holes in his target a quarter inch. Sure enough, his target had 4 groups equally spaced around the bullseye.

That sounds like you were adjusting the zero with every individual shot.

hotrodder636
07-09-20, 22:01
I second/third all the good things said about the KAC SR-15. It was my first ‘duty’ rifle. I have gotten other since but nothing compares to the KAC. I am really thinking about grabbing up an 11.5” upper from them if I can find one...with pic or MLOK.

ScottsBad
07-09-20, 22:26
If I liquidated everything at original cost, took the cash and started over...LOL

1. $10K on NV googles, $1500 on helmet and all the trimmings, $3000 infrared laser
2. $7K on thermal monocular/scope
3. $3000 plate carrier and plates
4. $4000 SCAR 17 and mags
5. $7000 on AR builds and mags. SBR, 14.5" barrel fighting rifle, 16" REECE
6. $4500 on scopes 1 LPVO and 1 NF 2.5-20
7. $2000 on 2 Aimpoints with mounts
8. $1600 2 Glock 19 and mags
9. $6000 Mk262 or clone (4600 - 7000 rounds)
7. $4000 M193 and M855 ~10,000 rounds
8. $1000 9mm

Yeah, that might be a little over, but not too much. That's what I'd do now.

RetroRevolver77
07-10-20, 06:46
Delete.

OrbitalE
07-10-20, 08:17
Skip the 2/3gun style builds and their flashy, expensive, edge-of-the-envelope parts. More training. Less ammo in 2013 and more in 2018.

mark5pt56
07-10-20, 08:48
Buy a Jennings .25 and say f'it

mark5pt56
07-10-20, 08:50
hey, hey, not so fast on the tar!

Probably keep models down and things a bit simpler I guess. Then one wouldn't have toys to play with on different days. In reality, I'm looking at med-heavy profile, more LPVO type with increased accuracy. Might slowly work on that next year.

PracticalRifleman
07-10-20, 09:27

I believe in quality myself, but I for the life of me don’t see one KAC commanding the price they do. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ve fired them. They were nice guns. But for the price or two of them, I can have a hard-use training rifle, a backup, and I can arm two friends...or have a good stock pile of ammo.

I’ve fired some M110s and certainly was not impressed by the accuracy and they seemed to have a wandering zero, perhaps induced by how the bipod was loaded.

The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze, at least on the models I’ve run. Maybe some
Of the newer designs have addressed accuracy/wandering POI on 7.62 rifles. Though one thing buying a rifle like a KAC offers, its ready to go out of the box without any fuss or adding anything to tune it up.

grizzlyblake
07-10-20, 09:49
KACs are nice. So are STIs.

For me BCMs and Glocks do fine and I'd rather have double quantities of them for the same money as the other.

PracticalRifleman
07-10-20, 10:22
KACs are nice. So are STIs.

For me BCMs and Glocks do fine and I'd rather have double quantities of them for the same money as the other.

And STIs are a big compromise over a custom pistol. I’ve seen lots of problematic STIs that needed smith’ed on right out of the gate.

pointblank4445
07-10-20, 10:51
And STIs are a big compromise over a custom pistol. I’ve seen lots of problematic STIs that needed smith’ed on right out of the gate.

It helps to qualify which era/gen of STI....

Currently, STI no longer exists as such by name.

Moshjath
07-11-20, 08:26
Great thread! If I could snap my fingers, get cash for all my guns/optics and time travel back to 2010 with it, I’d purchase 2x LMT MRPs, 2x Gen 4 Glock 19’s, a series 70 repro to mess around with, 1x LPVO and supporting quality holster and a VTAC sling, my USMA Class Pistol, and I’d have about 25k to spend on better stuff like more ammo and training or my wife’s medical school bills over the following decade. If I was starting over today I’d do the same thing but with 2x MLOK MRPs and 2x Gen 5 G19’s rather than the 1913 and Gen 4 LMTs/Glocks.

ndmiller
07-11-20, 09:53
Great thread! If I could snap my fingers, get cash for all my guns/optics and time travel back to 2010 with it, I’d purchase 2x LMT MRPs, 2x Gen 4 Glock 19’s, a series 70 repro to mess around with, 1x LPVO and supporting quality holster and a VTAC sling, my USMA Class Pistol, and I’d have about 25k to spend on better stuff like more ammo and training or my wife’s medical school bills over the following decade. If I was starting over today I’d do the same thing but with 2x MLOK MRPs and 2x Gen 5 G19’s rather than the 1913 and Gen 4 LMTs/Glocks.

Great! I would get cash for mine and travel back to 84-85 and use about the same amount of $ to buy a metric boatload of registered all steel DIAS's (Drop In Auto Sear). These and my original Millennium Falcon toys and 1000's of Reggie Jackson rookie cards would turn my part time hobbies into full time hobbies for sure.

Sid Post
07-11-20, 10:11
I believe in quality myself, but I for the life of me don’t see one KAC commanding the price they do. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ve fired them. They were nice guns. But for the price or two of them, I can have a hard-use training rifle, a backup, and I can arm two friends...or have a good stock pile of ammo.

I’ve fired some M110s and certainly was not impressed by the accuracy and they seemed to have a wandering zero, perhaps induced by how the bipod was loaded.

The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze, at least on the models I’ve run. Maybe some
Of the newer designs have addressed accuracy/wandering POI on 7.62 rifles. Though one thing buying a rifle like a KAC offers, its ready to go out of the box without any fuss or adding anything to tune it up.

All I know, is I hit stuff with my SR-15 that I have missed with my friend's high accuracy competition rifle. Is it all in my head because I spent more or because it is really a better rifle FOR ME?

TBAR_94
07-11-20, 11:44
I wish I could have started in the AR game earlier--I've read some older threads on this site and some of the good deals on bare bones 6920s sound like awesome guns for my purposes.

As a new guy in the AR game I appreciate the advice on here, I'm doing my best to avoid buying the new and shiny or the cheap and too good to be true, and stick with proven components.

Robisten8
07-11-20, 12:58
I have a BCM 9" 300 SBR, Geissele SD 5.56 SBR, Geissele SD 16", Glock 19

Wouldn't change a thing, just need more ammo!

PracticalRifleman
07-11-20, 14:15
All I know, is I hit stuff with my SR-15 that I have missed with my friend's high accuracy competition rifle. Is it all in my head because I spent more or because it is really a better rifle FOR ME?

Or familiarity. What kind of targets? What range? Not saying I doubt you but context matters.

Sid Post
07-12-20, 10:22
Or familiarity. What kind of targets? What range? Not saying I doubt you but context matters.

Aggressive dogs mainly, generally on the full run from ~30yards to ~200yards. Between dope growers and meth cookers, there are plenty of aggressive dogs out here. More static targets like Coyotes are even easier.

Regarding familiarity, somewhat true as I have been around AR-15's for many years. Motivation is likely a factor too as I don't like being dog bit with only a hatchet or knife to fend for myself. Cow chasing and chicken killing dogs are not as threatening to me personally but, are pretty hard on my finances so, there is plenty of motivation there.

In the end, a well-balanced rifle for offhand shooting with a super smooth firing sequence that swings smoothly for fast-moving targets is simply easier to use. Superior accuracy doesn't hurt either because if I miss I know with 99% certainly there was a technique deficiency with me, the trigger puller, and not the rifle or ammo.

Devildawg2531
07-12-20, 21:32
I wouldn’t have sold my granddads Marlin 336 35 that I inherited... not that it’s an amazing gun but it was his and he hunted with it but I was a dumbass 25 year old Marine and thought it was a Fudd rifle. Selling it and marrying my exwife are my 2 biggest life regrets.
I would have not bought the FNAR 308, both Saiga 308’s or the M1A loaded in my quest to find a semi 308 I liked. Probably would have done a KAC SR 25 instead of all of those but I don’t know that a semi 308 adds anything for me.
I would have skipped the Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 which was a jam machine.
Where I ended up is good with BCM and Daniel Defense AR’s.. 3 9mm Glocks and a 308 Bolt gun. Still have a Glock 40 that just sits. I did well in quality of gun and optics and lots of magazines and ammo. Lower than I want to be on 9 with maybe 300 rounds of HST and 50 rounds of FMJ.

elephant
07-12-20, 22:31
spend the money i spent over the years on suppressors instead of buying guns.

JoshNC
07-12-20, 23:42
More transferable machineguns, less semiautos.

AndyLate
07-13-20, 08:28
I wouldn’t have sold my granddads Marlin 336 35 that I inherited... not that it’s an amazing gun but it was his and he hunted with it but I was a dumbass 25 year old Marine and thought it was a Fudd rifle. Selling it and marrying my exwife are my 2 biggest life regrets.
I would have not bought the FNAR 308, both Saiga 308’s or the M1A loaded in my quest to find a semi 308 I liked. Probably would have done a KAC SR 25 instead of all of those but I don’t know that a semi 308 adds anything for me.
I would have skipped the Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 which was a jam machine.
Where I ended up is good with BCM and Daniel Defense AR’s.. 3 9mm Glocks and a 308 Bolt gun. Still have a Glock 40 that just sits. I did well in quality of gun and optics and lots of magazines and ammo. Lower than I want to be on 9 with maybe 300 rounds of HST and 50 rounds of FMJ.

My Sigma (VE?) 40 was quite reliable but a waste of time. I was able to sell it without taking a huge hit.

Every .40 I bought was a mistake.

Andy

Devildawg2531
07-13-20, 14:21
My Sigma (VE?) 40 was quite reliable but a waste of time. I was able to sell it without taking a huge hit.

Every .40 I bought was a mistake.

Andy

Basically yes. I was all 40 from about 1994 until 2014. From Sigma to 40 Glocks. Shooting IDPA and looking at my followup shot times on a shot timer on a Glock 17 vs a Glock 22 finally convinced me that I was gaining nothing by staying with the 40's over 9.

call_me_ski
07-14-20, 21:42
I did a lot of horse trading to get where I am and I am pretty good with where I ended up. If I had to start over I’d likely start with a Glock 43x, 45 MOS, Sig MCX 11.5 5.56, and a Scar 20S. I would get a Colt 6920 just to have that around as well.

I like to think that I am more of a shooter and I would spend the rest on ammo but I do like having some of the odd ball stuff around. I would also spend more money on optics. Something I still need to do.

I would buy a flow through OSS(or SIG if they make it to market soon) can instead of the traditional one I have and skip the pistol can altogether.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-15-20, 07:03
Gosh, I feel like I have bought it all, sold it all, bought it all again, rinse repeat etc.

If I could just eliminate all of my inventory, erase my stamps, and start over fresh:

Carbine:
BCM 12.5 MCMR Upper, BCG, GF CH
Dead Air Sandman K
Geissele SSAE
Radian Safety
KAC Irons
Scalarworks T2 Combo
Modlite PLHV2, HSP Thorntail, Surefire SR07

That would do everything I have ever needed of a gun in my life as someone who lives in a city and carries a gun for a living.

hotrodder636
07-15-20, 10:29
Even 10-15 years ago...this!!
More transferable machineguns, less semiautos.

GTF425
07-15-20, 10:41
SR-15
ACOG TA11H w/ piggybacked RM01
PEQ-15
Vamp SF Scout

G17 w/ Dawson adjustables
X300U

I would have bought more of the Magtech 62gr FMJ when it was available everywhere, and I would have standardized on 147gr Gold Dot for 9mm and 62gr Fusion MSR for .223.

Walker_Texasranger
07-15-20, 11:08
I kind of do this a lot. I don’t like to have lots of stuff I don’t use so I’ll buy and sell things to try different stuff or whatever. So what I have now is what I like.

BCM 14.5 with a warcomp and a couple g19s for the “serious” stuff.

I’d like to get a JP 18” AR for fun stuff.

AndyLate
07-15-20, 13:54
The easy minimalist set up is:

Buy/build a quality A5 lower, a 14.5 or 16" 5.56 upper, a 16" 6.8 or 6.5G upper, and a 16" dedicated rimfire upper.

Add a Glock 19 with a rimfire conversion kit, a pump 12 gauge with 2 barrels and some chokes, optics, and decent .30 and .22 lr supressors.

Only need to have 3 firearms to handle any need but big bear/elk/moose. Borrow a 30 magnum or larger for them.

Andy

Hox013
07-15-20, 18:41
I actually switch my setups more often than I should for the purpose of trying new things. I've tried multiple different platforms, calibers, mags, optics, ammunitions, lights, mounts, rails, etc. You name it. Everytime I sell and buy something new, I take a small loss. So If I were to start at the very beginning, I would skip the crap in between and land myself where I am now. Currently running a PWS Mk111 Mod1 on an LMT MARS SBR'd lower (Aimpoint t2), and a PWS Mk116 Mod2 setup for more of a Recce role (Viper PST Gen2 1-6). Share a Rugged Razor between the two.

The only thing I would change about how I got to where I am now:
I would have gotten the suppressor way sooner
SBR'd sooner
Stuck with the AR platform instead of spending time trying to find something better
Stuck with Okay Ind. USGI style magazines
Bought a lot more ammo
Skip the PCC band wagon
Consolidated calbers (9mm and 5.56) sooner
Ideally I would have a basic DI setup just for parts commonality with others, but having 2 PWS long stroke pistons is fine by me.

It's been a longer road, but having tried everything I have allowed me to find what truly works for me and gives me confidence. So I don't have TOO many regrets, but would have been noce to just know without spending the money I suppose.

https://i.imgur.com/zSziHQC.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/8h5F8ty.jpg?1

ChattanoogaPhil
07-15-20, 20:59
I would have bought a M&P AR 22 and trained on that in my spare time to save money on ammo... I still haven't done this, and am looking at a new AR10 currently, so shame on me.

I convinced myself rimfire was the way to save money. After several thousand dollars in rimfire guns, optics, mods and cans, I saved about all I could afford.

magister
07-17-20, 17:29
Starting from scratch with the funds to do it in one go. I’d get a few bcm standard midlength rifles, Aimpoint pros, a few Glock 19’s and a 26, piles of mags, and ammo.

Keep it simple.

Evel Baldgui
07-18-20, 11:45
I like the 'keep it simple /minimalist' philosophy. I recently sold a few items and have my collection down to the bare essentials. Two 10.3" 5.56 AR pistols, two 9mm RMR pistols, and two new ruger MK IV .22 pistols just for fun. I live in an urban environment, what I have will handle any evil within a 100 yd radius if need be.

3 AE
07-18-20, 21:52
"If I knew then, what I know now." Yep, that would have saved me some time and money.Though it was a fun ride. Ten years ago there wasn't that many quality AR manufacturers that had established themselves over the long haul. The same went for manufacturers of AR accessories and components. Today there are a myriad of top notch equipment out there covering everything you can possibly want/need for your weapon system. I'd hate to start out today as a newb with all the options available. They make it really, really hard to resist the latest and greatest. And those damn "SALES" three or four times a year doesn't help any! Damn, if I just get a suppressor or two, then I'll really focus on some more training. "Sure you will 3 AE, sure you will." :)

Stuttgart
07-19-20, 14:56
Would have not gotten the M&P9 (crap trigger needed Apex to fix it), I finally horse traded it for Glock.

Would not have gotten a Sig516 (heavy and had gas block issues, luckily Sig fixed it under warranty) should have just gotten a LWRC to see how short stroke pistons work)

Would have skipped the Smith & Wesson ar in favor of a le6920

Would have stuck with one AK (SAM7R)

Luckily it is a sellers market for gun stuff this year.

Diamondback
07-19-20, 15:28
To amend my prior, if we're going to roll the first-acquisition clock back to the time I bought Old Ugly...

1. Old Ugly stays unchanged as my first. Just too much sentimental value there, both the young lady it protected and the gunsmith friend who built it from a frame-slide kit.
2. Pick up a few Milsurps while they were cheap before GI Joe's/Foxhole/other NW Army-Navy stores died. M1 Carbine, a Mosin-Nagant or two, don't think I ever saw a SMLE but one of those.
3. Do CMP as soon as I my creds were in-hand and snag a Garand and if I can find one a 1903A3/A4 Sniper.
4. Part of me wants to say "bypass most AR's, jump straight to a pin-welded Colt 6921 URG joined to a Colt lower. The part that disagrees is because some of the parts that went into my current M4 are bring-backs by a friend who has left us, and the build was completed in his memory, as my M16A4-clone (also with his bringbacks) will be if it ever proceeds.
5. Start getting C7 and C8 parts rounded up AS SOON AS the girlfriend mentioned wanting me to teach her to shoot, so I could get a BCM Tri-Rail rather than risk an airsoft substitute, ditto getting an Elcan M134 for the C7 while they were affordable and try to snag some genuine Diemaco furniture and "green beanie" for the Elcan while they could still be imported.

HCrum87hc
07-20-20, 08:07
If I had it to do over again, I'd have forgone the PSA lowers and bought complete rifles from BCM, Sionics, SOLGW, Centurion, or MA. I would have started carrying appendix from the get go instead of fooling with hybrid holsters at 4 o'clock. I also would have skipped Inforce lights and Primary Arms optics. I likely would have foregone the .300blk SBR and SiCo OMEGA in favor of a 5.56 with a micro can. This one's tough, as I like the .300blk, but I don't find myself shooting it much.

In regards to pistols, I'd have skipped the subcompact XD in .40 (my first pistol), the Kimber CDP II, and the LCP. I'm happy with my current pistol line up, but I sure could have saved a lot of money getting here. There's plenty of other smaller purchases these options would have negated, such as holster changes and magazines/accessories. Oh well, we can't change the past, but the best we can hope for is to educate ourselves and improve.

GHMann
07-24-20, 09:35
I would skip the Bushmaster, Ruger, and PSA ARs and go full on with a BCM. Nothing wrong with them for home defense, but I'm jonesing for a BCM and it's too late for me now.

1986s4
07-24-20, 09:47
I would skip the Bushmaster, Ruger, and PSA ARs and go full on with a BCM. Nothing wrong with them for home defense, but I'm jonesing for a BCM and it's too late for me now.

I don't think so ! Build your own or at least buy the parts necessary to build your ultimate AR. I took my time, bought the parts when they were on sale and after all the parts were present brought them to a gunsmith friend of mine for assembly. I now have what I consider an awesome rifle and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

t1tan
07-24-20, 19:00
I don't think so ! Build your own or at least buy the parts necessary to build your ultimate AR. I took my time, bought the parts when they were on sale and after all the parts were present brought them to a gunsmith friend of mine for assembly. I now have what I consider an awesome rifle and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

I do this as well, have never had a pre-built rifle, building myself I get exactly what I want and don't have to swap things out on a new gun. All high end stuff, Noveske, BCM, Q, Geissele, buy it all on sale over time and it's worth the wait.

AndyLate
07-25-20, 13:16

I like building (assembling) ARs almost as much as shooting them. It is important to start with a clear vision of the final product and stick to it. Buying parts and not using them will result in their growing into another AR or 2.

Andy

snakedoctor
07-25-20, 13:33
Knights SR-15 URX4 Mlok
Colt LE6920SOCOM x3
Geissele URGI mk16
Glock 19X x2
Wilson Combat 1911 Classic Custom

fred
07-27-20, 05:17
Like many have said, wasting time and money trying to make things work that, well, didn't. Instead of taking sound advice from many guys here and on the old 10-8 forum.