PDA

View Full Version : New to the Form 4

rparker762
11-26-08, 22:27
So, I'm thinking my second AR build is gonna be an SBR. I have not decided on an upper yet but my question in this, how do I go about properly filling out the Form 4? Is it as simple as going to my local CLEO, having him sign off on it if he will, and then send it off to the BATF? Also, what if I own the lower already? I've read the NFA pposts but I am looking for a bare bones clear cut answer.

trukreltrog
11-26-08, 22:48
Use a form 1 for an SBR. There are instructions attached to the form on how to fill it out. Only thing to remember, when measuring total length. Do it with the stock extended, not collapsed. You'll have to search around to find measurements others have posted, so you know if your in the ballpark. Since you can't buy the upper until you have the stamp. After you fill it out, go get it signed. About a 3 month wait on the ATF now.

LonghunterCO
11-27-08, 06:57
I would first contact your CLEO and express your interest in a NFA item. He may not sign for them. If that is the case then you will need to go the trust route...assuming that you live in a state/area that allows NFA items.

CDDM416
11-27-08, 09:28
Use a form 1 for an SBR. There are instructions attached to the form on how to fill it out. Only thing to remember, when measuring total length. Do it with the stock extended, not collapsed. You'll have to search around to find measurements others have posted, so you know if your in the ballpark. Since you can't buy the upper until you have the stamp. After you fill it out, go get it signed. About a 3 month wait on the ATF now.

y
why cant he get the upper prior getting the stamp? i got mime before getting the lower, and the stamp,,

trukreltrog
11-27-08, 10:32
y
why cant he get the upper prior getting the stamp? i got mime before getting the lower, and the stamp,,

Well, when filling out the form 1. You have to put the serial number of the lower, make, model, etc., on the form. So you would have to already own the lower to SBR it. Plus he already has one AR in his safe, uppers are easily changed. This could be seen as constructive intent. Odds are you may not get caught, but Why risk it?

Some people have said they just store the SBR upper at a friends, until the paperwork comes through. Might be something to look into.

CDDM416
11-27-08, 10:51
Well, when filling out the form 1. You have to put the serial number of the lower, make, model, etc., on the form. So you would have to already own the lower to SBR it. Plus he already has one AR in his safe, uppers are easily changed. This could be seen as constructive intent. Odds are you may not get caught, but Why risk it?

Some people have said they just store the SBR upper at a friends, until the paperwork comes through. Might be something to look into.

yea and, paranoia will destroy ya,,:D