PDA

View Full Version : "Midsize" M&P 45 Questions

kaltblitz
11-27-08, 01:48
I've carried a Glock 21 as my duty gun for the past 2.5 years at work and liked it, but it is just a little large to carry off-duty or in plainclothes. I recently switched to a Kimber 1911, but I've decided that the 1911 just isn't the all around platform for me. I love the 45 ACP cartridge and its ballistic effects on targets (meaning people, dogs and vehicles).

I was issued a M&P 40 last December and the gun has grown on me signficantly in the last year. I like the size of the gun, the feel in my hand and I love what I perceive as minimal recoil and a fast recovery time between rounds.

My only complaint about the gun has been the caliber. I've been to enough shootings now that I've been able to form my own opinion about cartridges and I really like 45 ACP. So I'm considering purchasing one of the "midsize" M&P 45's.

So here are my questions. Please answer what you can:

1) How different is the feel of the 45 with a small grip when compared to the 40 with medium grip?
2) What is the difference in felt recoil/recovery time between the 45 and 40? (I know it is relative but I want to know YOUR opinion)
3) Do the medium size 45's fit the same holsters as the 40? (I'm specifically talking about Safariland)
4) Am I being silly? Should I just keep the 40 S&W they gave me? (I kinda like owning my gun..I can change the sights that way)

DocGKR
11-27-08, 02:02
Buy your own .40 M&P...

HK45
11-27-08, 12:44
1. The grip is longer from front to back and feels less rounded than the .40 grip.
2. Unlike just about any other .40 or .45 I have shot, which covers quite a few pistols, there is not a significant snap to the .40 recoil on the M&P .40. The .45 does have the usual push type recoil.
3. Holsters will vary. Some fit both pistols fine, others don't.

If you were issued .40 I would stick with that for familiarity. There is an LEO/retired military discount for the M&P's in case you were not aware. Usually they are $399.

crowkiller
11-27-08, 13:50
1. The grip is longer from front to back and feels less rounded than the .40 grip.
2. Unlike just about any other .40 or .45 I have shot, which covers quite a few pistols, there is not a significant snap to the .40 recoil on the M&P .40. The .45 does have the usual push type recoil.

I agree the above.
The M&P is the game changer for .40 pistols and only rivaled by the HK45 in .45 IMO. Im not LE but if it was myself Id stick with the same on duty caliber and platorm for off duty. Or you could go with option C and buy both.:D

kaltblitz
11-27-08, 13:56
I'm issued a 40 S&W....I can carry pretty much whatever i want (including 1911's). I currently carry a Kimber 5" and carried a Glock 21 in the past (both 45 ACP).

I was asking about the 45 ACP because I would switch to it for both on and off duty.

My question is regarding the perceived recoil/recovery between the 40 and 45 in the M&P platform. Is the 45 ACP in the platform a soft shooter (like the 40 is compared to other 40's) or is it like any other 45 ACP handgun?

crowkiller
11-27-08, 14:13
I'm issued a 40 S&W....I can carry pretty much whatever i want (including 1911's). I currently carry a Kimber 5" and carried a Glock 21 in the past (both 45 ACP).

I was asking about the 45 ACP because I would switch to it for both on and off duty.

My question is regarding the perceived recoil/recovery between the 40 and 45 in the M&P platform. Is the 45 ACP in the platform a soft shooter (like the 40 is compared to other 40's) or is it like any other 45 ACP handgun?

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=72516&an=0&page=0#72516

jmart
11-27-08, 14:20
This is exactly why Glock released the GAP. Ammunition costs/availability arguments notwithstanding......

HK45
12-06-08, 19:15
Yes the .45 M&P is a very soft shooter. The ergos and beavertail plus soft recoil means little muzzle rise allowing you to keep the pistol on target and shoot quickly and accurately.

HK45
12-06-08, 19:16
The GAP is the answer to a question no one asked. Especially with the advent of the XD .45, M&P .45, and others. Plus it has a snappy recoil like .40.

This is exactly why Glock released the GAP. Ammunition costs/availability arguments notwithstanding......

ToddG
12-07-08, 03:13
The GAP is the answer to a question no one asked. Especially with the advent of the XD .45, M&P .45, and others. Plus it has a snappy recoil like .40.

In fairness to Glock, it was an attempted answer to a question some customers were asking. There were LE agencies (and, Glock thought, .mil folks) who wanted the .45 bullet but in a smaller grip package. Glock's answer was to have ammo manufacturers redesign the ammo.

H&K, Smith, and Springfield's answer was to make a .45 ACP with a smaller grip package.

Pretty clear which approach was more successful.