PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock edit in OP

AndyLate
07-11-20, 19:43
The adjustable LOL is one of the great things about an AR, but I'm trying to pinch pennies.

I recently picked up a PSA 16" Freedom midlength from a member that has Magpul furniture, including an STR stock which is both heavy and nicer than needed. A Magpul fixed carbine stock is about the least expensive option and makes for a simpler gun to hand someone at the range or Boogaloo (I kid). It would also blend with the MOE grip and HG.

My question - is the Magpul fixed carbine stock short enough for the average lady or young teen using irons? In my experience, a shorter LOP is not a huge problem but a long one is.

Thank you

Andy

EDIT - Thanks for the sanity check - I ordered an adjustable MOE stock. $10 is not worth losing the adjustability.

Clint
07-11-20, 19:48
The fixed car stock is actually too short when installed as directed.

BUT.

It can be installed about an inch further out with a slight modification to the receiver extension tube.

docsherm
07-11-20, 20:43
The adjustable LOL is one of the great things about an AR, but I'm trying to pinch pennies.

I recently picked up a PSA 16" Freedom midlength from a member that has Magpul furniture, including an STR stock which is both heavy and nicer than needed. A Magpul fixed carbine stock is about the least expensive option and makes for a simpler gun to hand someone at the range or Boogaloo (I kid). It would also blend with the MOE grip and HG.

My question - is the Magpul fixed carbine stock short enough for the average lady or young teen using irons? In my experience, a shorter LOP is not a huge problem but a long one is.

Thank you

Andy

I have a PSA "M4" stock installed at the moment, but it's ridiculously loose, even with tape shimming.

It should be. I have one on an AR that my 10 year old skn uses.

Circle_10
07-11-20, 20:45
Just determining what position the shooter prefers with an adjustable stock and leaving it there seems like the simplest option. I haven’t checked the price in a while but I didn’t think the Magpul fixed carbine stock was particularly cheap either compared to their other stocks.

AndyLate
07-11-20, 21:02
Just determining what position the shooter prefers with an adjustable stock and leaving it there seems like the simplest option. I haven’t checked the price in a while but I didn’t think the Magpul fixed carbine stock was particularly cheap either compared to their other stocks.

I'm looking for a general fit, not for a specific individual. The fixed MOE carbine stock runs about $10/25% less than than the adjustable MOE. I think maybe I am being penny wise and pound foolish.

Andy

3 AE
07-11-20, 22:20
You're talking just ten bucks. Having the adjustability to accommodate clothing thickness, body armor, different human operator wing spans more than pays for itself. Stick a Magpul MOE on it and don't worry, be happy!

Stickman
07-12-20, 10:30
You are spending money to give less function to save pennies?

Just making sure I’m reading this correctly.....

robbins290
07-14-20, 13:49
My wifes carbine has the magpul fixed carbine stock. She is pretty short and has short arms. She runs that thing great.

I see you ordered the MOE stock, most likely a better option.

markm
07-14-20, 14:16
The Fixed Carbine stock might be the strongest stock Magpul makes, and a top contender in the strongest stock you can buy for an AR. I don't think you could break one if you tried.

LOP is just under an A1 stock if I remember correctly. Fairly universally sized for a NON adjustable.

AndyLate
12-30-20, 08:46
I ended up buying a fixed MOE carbine stock this month for a cheap extra lower I am using with a dedicated 22 lr upper.

The first consideration was a stock short enough for kids/ladies. I also wanted a stock that doesn't rattle and did not cost much.

I like the stock for a dedicated .22 lr. Length is good for my wife and usable for me with a scope. Simplicity is a good thing for new or occasional shooters, it is solid, and the lower price was welcome.

I have arms like an orangutan, but tend to run my AR stocks fairly short - the fixed carbine stock LOP is fine for me.

03Infantry415
12-31-20, 15:20
I was disappointed in the LOP with the fixed stock. It's actually shorter than my SB tactical brace all the way out. I've debated keeping it around and doing a dedicated .22lr rifle like you've mentioned.