PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9mm - sear / magazine disconnect

Paulinski
11-27-08, 09:29
What is the purpose of those? Is the pistol equipped with those more prone to malfunctions?

I'm looking at a minty M&P 9mm pistol with those features but the seller advised me they have been disabled?

Should I consider this pistol or should I walk away and find a non mag disconnect version?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

subzero
11-27-08, 10:09
Mag disconnect simply won't allow the striker to be released unless a magazine is inserted. Some people think it's a good feature, others don't. Some say it's good feature to have in case of a fight over the gun. If losing the fight, punch the mag release and now the weapon is inoperable.

I personally like my M&Ps to have the mag disconnect so it doesn't have the stupid writing on the slide. I then pull the disconnect out so I can release the striker without a magazine inserted. Then I can properly unload and show clear at the end of a stage, dry fire without a magazine, etc.

Robb Jensen
11-27-08, 10:32
It can readily be added back to the pistol for about $30 with a new sear block if you wished to have it reinstalled.

crowkiller
11-27-08, 14:07
Anti Mag Disconnect argument:
The possibility your in a gun fight and for some reason or another the mag falls out of your gun the bad guy is drawing on you but you still have one shot left to stop the threat.

Pro Mag Disconnect argument:
The possibility a bad guy's grabbing for your gun y'all are fighting over it so you push the mag release and let him take it while you draw your back up gun and end the fight.

ra2bach
11-27-08, 14:11
I hear to both arguments.

for a defense pistol, personally, I come down that I want as little as possible in the fire control mechanism between trigger press and bang. that's just me though...

williejc
11-28-08, 20:25
Once when traveling with other peoples kids and then "camping" in a one room cabin, I kept a BHP with mag safety in a zipper pouch. The pistol had a rd in the chamber, and I had a loaded mag in a belt carrier. For us this arrangement was safe and allowed quick access to a loaded weapon. I had the one and only mag available.