PDA

View Full Version : USS Bonhomme Richard on fire.

kwelz
07-12-20, 14:52
Explosion on the ship caused a fire. Looks like they are starting to get it under control now.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/san-diego-fire-rescue-responds-to-fire-on-uss-bonhomme-richard?fbclid=IwAR10llSAwgvWiOrDFt-fxWEYxLFj9DusEuiHe9uXUBPcPt9MAECIBF6bSWk

LMT Shooter
07-12-20, 16:29
Reports of 18 injured, no reports of any deaths so far, I hope that remains to be true.

hotrodder636
07-12-20, 17:13
As a Navy man, I hate to see this and thoughts and prayers go out to those aboard the ship and those helping combat the fire.

Buncheong
07-12-20, 17:15
I’ve been out for 10+ years but worked in munitions and armaments (USAF).

TDY at an active duty Navy installation and have seen their facilities, practices, and training material.

Their munitions safety, handling, and storage regulations were just like ours, with great attention to detail and strict discipline.

No idea what happened here but the likelihood of a “random accident” or even human error is, in my experience, very very low.

Draw your own conclusions but I will watch the investigation with great interest.

mrbieler
07-12-20, 19:14
It's been undergoing maintenance and retrofit/modernization work for over a year in San Diego. A big part of that was preparing to move from the Harrier to the F-35.

Miss being in San Diego around the shipyards for work. Sad to see this today, but glad so far it appears that injuries were not severe and no lives have been lost.

kwelz
07-12-20, 19:55
It's been undergoing maintenance and retrofit/modernization work for over a year in San Diego. A big part of that was preparing to move from the Harrier to the F-35.

Miss being in San Diego around the shipyards for work. Sad to see this today, but glad so far it appears that injuries were not severe and no lives have been lost.

I wondered about that. The video showed what looked like container on the deck. I wondered if it was undergoing refit or repairs.

Coal Dragger
07-12-20, 20:46
Yeah it’s in port for repairs. Just going to be a lot more repairs now.

I’m sure in typical navy fashion they’re going to fire the skipper, regardless of fault.

mack7.62
07-12-20, 20:47
If undergoing refitting for a year wouldn't they offload things like jet fuel and ordnance? I wonder what exploded?

kwelz
07-12-20, 21:58
If undergoing refitting for a year wouldn't they offload things like jet fuel and ordnance? I wonder what exploded?

If they were undergoing repairs there would be a lot of dangerous stuff on board. Everything from flammable cleaning supplies to things like oxy acetylene torches. Once some of that shit gets going it is hard to put out.

rooster2412
07-12-20, 22:13
My delivery in Coronado at 1360 Orange Ave is directly across the bay from where this happened. I deliver Monday morning at 0600. There's no parking for my 80' Mansion on Wheels so I'll drive in late tonight & just hang out until the PoPo shows up to run me off. I hear it's a mess down there on the streets ...

Belmont31R
07-12-20, 22:29
Been watching the CBS 8 live stream off and on all day. Sad to see but I think that ship is toast. Heat and fire does weird things to steel, and you don't want that ship loaded with people and equipment going through a storm at sea and cracking in half. Fire was hot enough to set the pier side bumpers on fire from the heat coming out of hull. That type of heat absolutely changes the structural integrity.

My best friend is a recon company CO up at Pendleton, and said a bunch of the command staff has been chatting about this. She just went through almost 250 million in retrofits and upgrades to start running the F35 and was supposed to be finished months ago but the project was virus delayed.

T2C
07-12-20, 23:14
A US Navy vessel is a dangerous place to live and the crew has to be on their toes at all times. Yard birds are sometimes careless and it would not be unusual for a US Navy vessel to have a fire (at least a small one) onboard while undergoing repairs (BTDT).

Thank God the fire did not occur while the ship was out to sea; there is no where to run and you can't call the fire department.

Pacific5th
07-12-20, 23:40
Glad that no one has been seriously injured. The BHR brought me and many other Marines home from Iraq in 2003 with stops in Sydney, Brisbane and Pearl before dropping us off at Camp Pendleton. We had lots of fun in all the ports. I took another trip on her in 04/05 with BLT 1/1 and the 15th MEU.

mack7.62
07-13-20, 07:21
Well I bet China is happy.

SomeOtherGuy
07-13-20, 08:31
Well I bet China is happy.

Although accidents happen, every single "accident" like this should be investigated for possible sabotage, given the current world.

REDinFL
07-13-20, 09:44
It can happen, especially with welding (where's the fire watch?), but I wouldn't;t discount sabotage, especially from Iran. Remember the recent explosions in nuclear facilities there: Not saying we did those, could be accidental but they might think we did. Or, was the "Serapis" running around near San Diego?

marco.g
07-13-20, 11:34
Not good. Bridge is now on fire. They’re saying it started in lower vehicle storage. May end up being a loss.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/34772/uss-bonhomme-richards-bridge-engulfed-in-flames-as-fire-rages-into-the-night

Coal Dragger
07-13-20, 13:05
I smell the presence of LCpl Schmuckatelli in this. Somehow his carelessness caused this.

mack7.62
07-13-20, 13:11
WTF is burning, I would think a modern combat ship would be designed to withstand combat damage, the fact that it is burning to the waterline while tied to the pier does not say much about how tough it is. I think when they build a replacement might need to use a little less wood paneling and a little more steel and asbestos.

marco.g
07-13-20, 13:30
WTF is burning, I would think a modern combat ship would be designed to withstand combat damage, the fact that it is burning to the waterline while tied to the pier does not say much about how tough it is. I think when they build a replacement might need to use a little less wood paneling and a little more steel and asbestos.

It was under maintenance. Folks are saying that usually means damage control systems are disabled, hatches are open, and less crew on board.

kwelz
07-13-20, 15:47
Looking at the updated photos and video, I don't see how any of it would be salvageable.

glocktogo
07-13-20, 16:22
A US Navy vessel is a dangerous place to live and the crew has to be on their toes at all times. Yard birds are sometimes careless and it would not be unusual for a US Navy vessel to have a fire (at least a small one) onboard while undergoing repairs (BTDT).

Thank God the fire did not occur while the ship was out to sea; there is no where to run and you can't call the fire department.

Well you can and do, but the FD is you. On a combat ship, everyone is a firefighter when/if the time comes. :)

Pacific5th
07-13-20, 16:22

I’m sure because it was having work done to it they had a ton of doors open with gear and stuff spread all over. Plus the fact there was only a skeleton crew of around 160 vs the normal 900ish on board did not help. She would have had a much better chance had this happened at sea or on any normal day. The sailors on that ship were very professional and I know the Navy takes firefighting very seriously. All sailors are fireman first kinda like all Marines are riflemen first. Obviously it’s not there primary job but they all have a very basic understanding of how to fight a ship board fire.

I’m afraid the ships gonna be a total loss though. It’s burnt from the well deck up and now part of the island has collapsed. Basically the entire middle of the ship I going to have very serious metal fatigue and damage.

Coal Dragger
07-13-20, 16:24
Maybe, if history is a guide and we look at USS Franklin and USS Bunker Hill of WWII fame both ships were put back in service after suffering massive damage.

mrbieler
07-13-20, 17:05
At this point, my fear is the massive damage 1m gallons of fuel would do to San Diego Harbor. :(

jpmuscle
07-13-20, 17:54
At this point, my fear is the massive damage 1m gallons of fuel would do to San Diego Harbor. :(

If it’s docked for retrofit why keep that much fuel onboard? Or is that nothing new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrbieler
07-13-20, 20:18
The CO of the USS Fitzgerald, which had to be moved due to this fire, apparently wrote a scathing report about retrofit fire safety just last year...

https://news.usni.org/2019/05/31/fitzgerald-co-destroyer-repairs-at-risk-from-poor-shipyard-fire-safety

kwelz
07-13-20, 20:34
Maybe, if history is a guide and we look at USS Franklin and USS Bunker Hill of WWII fame both ships were put back in service after suffering massive damage.

Agreed. But just looking... If the fire started on the lower decks and has burned all the way up through the superstructure that isn't a good sign. She has been burning for over 24 hours at this point. We are talking actual changes to the integrity of the structural materials now. In WW2 they probably would have scuttled her by now.

https://i.imgur.com/kVWx8eI.jpg

T2C
07-13-20, 20:59
Well you can and do, but the FD is you. On a combat ship, everyone is a firefighter when/if the time comes. :)

Yup. BTDT.

Coal Dragger
07-13-20, 21:10
Agreed. But just looking... If the fire started on the lower decks and has burned all the way up through the superstructure that isn't a good sign. She has been burning for over 24 hours at this point. We are talking actual changes to the integrity of the structural materials now. In WW2 they probably would have scuttled her by now.

https://i.imgur.com/kVWx8eI.jpg

Probably right. Without a full complement on board for damage control the fire spread as much as it did. With her being in port and everyone off and accounted for there’s not as much reason to put people at serious risk to put out the fire and save the ship. Plus as pointed out it’s not a brand new ship, may be money ahead to keep fire from spreading and scrap her out.

Diamondback
07-13-20, 22:27
Probably right. Without a full complement on board for damage control the fire spread as much as it did. With her being in port and everyone off and accounted for there’s not as much reason to put people at serious risk to put out the fire and save the ship. Plus as pointed out it’s not a brand new ship, may be money ahead to keep fire from spreading and scrap her out.

And pass an emergency supplemental to build a replacement...

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-14-20, 00:13
I know Occam’s razor and all, but things have been burning in Iran lately...

chuckman
07-14-20, 09:22
Yup. BTDT.

One of my RDCs in boot camp was a new messman on the Stark when it was hit by a missile. He was a bit of an ass anyway, but the firefighting and damage control courses, you could tell he had real passion. It was one of the few times he really cared that we learned something.

sundance435
07-15-20, 11:24
And pass an emergency supplemental to build a replacement...

Why do you think they repaired the McCain and Fitzgerald? Any hull loss at this point is irreplaceable. Our shipbuilding is so screwed up that we'll be lucky to maintain a 300-ship navy as it is.

SomeOtherGuy
07-15-20, 11:58
I know Occam’s razor and all, but things have been burning in Iran lately...

You don't say?

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/another-mystery-iran-disaster-seven-ships-fire-southern-iran-port

SEVEN ships burning without obvious cause.

SomeOtherGuy
07-15-20, 11:59
Any hull loss at this point is irreplaceable. Our shipbuilding is so screwed up that we'll be lucky to maintain a 300-ship navy as it is.

Not aware of this - why is that? Seems like two shipyards are popping out quantities of LCS that we may not need. One of those, at least, will be switching to a useful DDG in the near future - oops, FFG(X):

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2020/04/30/marinette-shipyard-wins-u-s-navyfrigate-contract.html

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-15-20, 13:11
OK, codename it "Paper Airplane". Drones made out of balsa a combustibles with incendiaries so that you can use them like a hush bomb or the paper bombs in "Clear and Present Danger"...

I think you could make a plastic combustion engine that would last for a bit, or just glide it in...

Grand58742
07-15-20, 13:27
Interesting coincidence...

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mysterious-incidents-iran-7-boats-catch-on-fire-at-shipyard

Seven boats at a shipyard in Iran caught fire Wednesday, the latest in a slew of mysterious incidents that have led to speculation that an international foe is perpetrating sneak attacks in an attempt to sabotage the embattled regime.

The blaze started in the port of Bushehr, in southern Iran, but was contained and no casualties were reported, the head of the local crisis management organization told Irna news agency. Iran’s only nuclear power plant is located in Bushehr province.

The cause of the fire remains unclear, the report said.

OH58D
07-15-20, 13:57

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mysterious-incidents-iran-7-boats-catch-on-fire-at-shipyard
I heard it was a 55 gallon oil drum which caused the San Diego ship fire. Now if you combine that with an Iranian sympathizer in the US Navy, and a crew member of USS Bonhomme Richard, then the plot thickens a bit...and could make for an interesting development.

Where is that Aluminium Cowboy Hat?

ABNAK
07-15-20, 17:30

Anyone for a bagel or some Manischewitz? Paging Yoni to the red courtesy phone.....

sundance435
07-16-20, 13:59
Not aware of this - why is that? Seems like two shipyards are popping out quantities of LCS that we may not need. One of those, at least, will be switching to a useful DDG in the near future - oops, FFG(X):

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2020/04/30/marinette-shipyard-wins-u-s-navyfrigate-contract.html

Every major shipbuilding program right now is way behind, some by years. The Virginia-class, which used to be a model of procurement, is a prime example. The contractors are experiencing brain-drain and can't keep positions filled with competent workers.

Alpha-17
07-16-20, 15:37
Eh, until we get actual evidence to the contrary, I tend to think an accident is entirely plausible. Remember, the USS Iowa's turret explosion in the 80s was initially thought to be the act of "a treasonous sailor in the pay of a foreign power" in some circles.

SomeOtherGuy
07-16-20, 16:12
Every major shipbuilding program right now is way behind, some by years. The Virginia-class, which used to be a model of procurement, is a prime example. The contractors are experiencing brain-drain and can't keep positions filled with competent workers.

Didn't know that, was only aware of the issues with the LCS and basically everything the USAF attempts to buy.

Why are contractors experiencing brain-drain? At current procurement prices every weapon could be made by hand out of 24K gold with billions of dollars left over.

Maybe companies like Lockheed could try paying market rate and higher for their engineers and workers?

Is there no limit to the extent of graft and looting these companies require?

kwelz
07-16-20, 22:14
Eh, until we get actual evidence to the contrary, I tend to think an accident is entirely plausible. Remember, the USS Iowa's turret explosion in the 80s was initially thought to be the act of "a treasonous sailor in the pay of a foreign power" in some circles.

I remember the mental gymnastics people went through to convince themselves it was anything but an accident.

mack7.62
07-17-20, 08:25
The Iranian troubles I would suspect a native resistance, there are a lot of pissed off Iranian's especially after the protest crackdowns over the last year or so. Not to say they are not getting some support from interested third parties. As far as the Richard I would look to China because they have the most to gain, but they did just make a $400 billionn deal with Iran so they are in bed together. Chine has seen some setbacks lately with the Chinese virus, Trump push back, food shortages and floods they are starting to get more aggressive like with the takeover of Hong Kong and the troubles on the India border. Pretty classic strategy for a totalitarian country to start a conflict to distract a restless populace. As the old saying goes interesting times.

SomeOtherGuy
08-27-20, 14:42
The navy has a specific suspect looking at this fire as an arson:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36028/navy-investigation-into-uss-bonhomme-richard-fire-now-has-an-arson-suspect-report

Sounds like the ship won't be salvaged:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/35046/navy-chief-uss-bonhomme-richard-fire-damaged-most-decks-gutted-island-warped-flight-deck

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-27-20, 15:23
For Sale: I slightly used Amphib Carrier.

The Iranians might buy it to sink and block another naval base...

Diamondback
08-27-20, 15:26
For Sale: I slightly used Amphib Carrier.

The Iranians might buy it to sink and block another naval base...

With THREE fires at the same time and two in the same yard (JFK and another LHD in Norfolk), I'd say it's time to send Team Gibbs in to see if the guy who torched BHR was also on the other two, or if anybody in the yard has Chinese or Iranian ties or has had unusual influx of cash recently.

Averageman
08-27-20, 18:44
With THREE fires at the same time and two in the same yard (JFK and another LHD in Norfolk), I'd say it's time to send Team Gibbs in to see if the guy who torched BHR was also on the other two, or if anybody in the yard has Chinese or Iranian ties or has had unusual influx of cash recently.

That sheds an entirely different narrative on the incident doesn't it?

Diamondback
08-27-20, 18:55
That sheds an entirely different narrative on the incident doesn't it?

If I was China and preparing for war, and could arrange to have American ships destroyed in "mysterious accident" or sabotaged by "disgruntled sailor/employee" in the yard, you can bet that would be part of my battlespace preparation, along with as much economic mayhem as I could inflict *cough*WuTangClap*cough* to cramp ability to produce war materiel and disrupt military ops like that CVBG that benched itself at Guam.

Look up a PLA-published book called Unrestricted Warfare sometime, lots of scary shit in it that Western nations reject but they've embraced like terrorism and biowar.

titsonritz
07-30-21, 13:50
Confirmed arson and have their man (allegedly).

"Evidence collected during the investigation is sufficient to direct a preliminary hearing in accordance with due process under the military justice system. The Sailor was a member of Bonhomme Richard’s crew at the time and is accused of starting the fire," 3rd Fleet spokesperson Cmdr. Sean Robertson said in a statement.

There are not naming names but...Navy sailor charged with setting blaze that destroyed billion-dollar ship last year (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/navy-sailor-charged-with-setting-blaze-that-destroyed-billion-dollar-ship-last-year/ar-AAMIHCA?ocid=DE_20210729_ENUS_coronavirus_1)

utahjeepr
07-30-21, 14:47
If he is convicted, that sailor needs to be sentenced to a hard labor detail at Portsmouth at E-1 pay until he pays off the boat.

T2C
07-30-21, 18:37
If he is convicted, that sailor needs to be sentenced to a hard labor detail at Portsmouth at E-1 pay until he pays off the boat.

That would be light punishment if I had anything to say about it. He/she could have killed a lot of his/her fellow crew members.

Diamondback
07-30-21, 18:45
That would be light punishment if I had anything to say about it. He/she could have killed a lot of his/her fellow crew members.

Keelhauling under the hulk would be an appropriate start... and that's serious on a ship that size.

utahjeepr
07-30-21, 18:54

I have no personal knowledge, but when I was in the Corps Portsmouth had a certain reputation for the treatment of prisoners. Probably BS, but the boogeyman stories were that dying and going to hell might be better.

AKDoug
07-30-21, 18:55

Screw that... hung from a yardarm..

agr1279
07-31-21, 16:44
Screw that... hung from a yardarm..

This.

Coal Dragger
08-01-21, 21:48
Flogging to death with a cat-o’-nine tails would also work.

Since the Navy isn’t releasing details on the suspect I guess that means it’s not a white nationalist.