PDA

View Full Version : Interesting optic failure - RMR

GTF425
07-13-20, 15:00
I had an interesting equipment failure today.

This Glock 19 has a Type 1 RM09 that was installed in November 2016. Estimated round count is in the neighborhood of 20k. I have never had any problems with this optic, no issues with the dot flickering/loss of battery contact/nada. I don't do anything like intentionally rack my optic on hard surfaces to cycle the slide, and it has lived its life in a holster.

Today, I started shooting at 0915. Temp is mid-90s, humidity is 50% with clear skies. After a lunch break, I went back to shooting and noticed I had a giant, basketball sized dot in the middle of a course of fire. Thought nothing of it, broke the shot, and the dot disappeared completely after that. I thought it was an electronics failure, and kept shooting with the irons. After two more shots, the glass flew off the front of the RMR and went downrange.

It appears the adhesive for the glass has simply worn out. Yes, I've contacted Trijicon and am in the process of receiving an RMA. I'm sure that part will take care of itself, so no worries there.

But has anyone else actually had the entire glass window come off of an RMR? I've seen electronics die, I've seen UTM rounds crack the glass, and I've seen someone strike an RMR against a metal staircase and crack it. But I've never seen or ever had any other RMR have the glass completely remove itself.

https://i.imgur.com/c0zqPa2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1rOE71L.jpg

And yes- I contemplated just using some 2-part epoxy and seating the glass myself. But I will gladly use an official warranty repair whenever possible.

ggammell
07-13-20, 15:20
Bravo sir. Bravo indeed.

markm
07-13-20, 16:11
After that many rounds with a dot on your pistol, I take it you're a believer in the idea of the sight on a handgun?

The limited exposure I've had with them has been less than confidence inspiring.

ggammell
07-13-20, 16:12
After that many rounds with a dot on your pistol, I take it you're a believer in the idea of the sight on a handgun?

The limited exposure I've had with them has been less than confidence inspiring.

I’m in 100% on it. Agency just authorized them (personal purchase) and I’ll drop that coin immediately.

GTF425
07-13-20, 16:20

Absolutely.

The advantages of being able to focus on the target as well as have an aiming point under NODs is more than worth it.

But I'm not ever going to ditch having zeroed irons. Case in point: see above.

ggammell
07-13-20, 16:39
Absolutely.

The advantages of being able to focus on the target as well as have an aiming point under NODs is more than worth it.

That’s a fact.

Interesting thing if you can try it. Shoot the irons without the glass there and see what kind of shift the glass causes versus bare irons.

jpmuscle
07-13-20, 16:51
OP needs more Holosun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07-13-20, 17:13
Good work brother. I’ve got maybe half as many rounds on one. Warranty service once. I’m still on the fence as to whether they are for me. My vision is getting a little wonky, so that will likely force my hand.

I like that coin on the far right.

WickedWillis
07-13-20, 18:19
Pretty impressive failure

GTF425
07-13-20, 18:37
My vision is getting a little wonky, so that will likely force my hand.

This is something that my dad pointed out a few weeks ago. For him, he can actually shoot a pistol accurately again. He was at the point that his front sight post was just a blur, and he believes having an RDS on his pistol is helping keep him in the game that much longer.

For me, it's being able to keep all of my focus on the target. Makes accurately shooting a moving target much, much easier.

I like that coin on the far right.

As do I, brother.

GTF425
07-13-20, 18:38
Pretty impressive failure

Chalk it up to my being an 11B.

Lock a grunt in a padded room with a bowling ball and come back in a few days. It'll either be broken, missing, or pregnant.

markm
07-13-20, 19:55
Absolutely.

I still run a 20 year old G22, and you guys want me to get modern and ...... Actually PRACTICE??? :mad:

GTF425
07-14-20, 06:49
Shoot the irons without the glass there and see what kind of shift the glass causes versus bare irons.

I'll zero it up with a B-8 for proof while waiting on the sight to come back, then I'll compare it after the fact. Given the curved glass of the RMR, I'm sure there will be some undue effect on POI, but I've never shot it on paper without the dot installed. Good idea, man.

Ranger86
07-14-20, 19:51
I still run a 20 year old G22, and you guys want me to get modern and ...... Actually PRACTICE??? :mad:Nice, I still love my 1993 G22 and carry it everyday.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
07-19-20, 09:45
Holosun bois reading this thread like

"HOW MANY ROUNDS?!?!?"

jpmuscle
07-19-20, 09:52
Holosun bois reading this thread like

"HOW MANY ROUNDS?!?!?"

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200719/0c41c2df858dc28d9c255ed6217ed5be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
07-19-20, 11:37
OP - you may want to reach out to member GJM here. He has a lot of rounds through RMR's as well. You gents comparing notes would be very useful, I think.

Thanks for the data points, and stay safe.

signal4l
07-19-20, 13:17
I was not a fan of putting red dots on pistols until I got some trigger time with them.

I bought a Gen 5 G19 MOS, aftermarket plate and an RMR. I have about twenty-five hundred rounds through it and it finally got the hang of it. It's definitely an adjustment to maintain a target focus. I do believe they make you a better pistol shooter. I can watch the dot migrate low and left when I mess up my trigger pull. My (almost) 50 year old eyes do better with a dot than with irons.

I don't believe dot sights are for everyone. It will definitely require practice to get a shooter to transition from years of using irons. My PD is issuing GEN 5 G17 with the MOS slide cut. We will be rolling out the electronic sites within a year. it will be interesting to see how this process plays out. We have about 70 officers with varying skill levels. Some of them would find a way to break a crowbar. Others will actually practice on their own time and put some effort into the process.

Hopefully we choose the RMR optic. Despite the OP's problem with the glass, they seem to be a solid choice.

GTF425
07-20-20, 10:50
Hopefully we choose the RMR optic. Despite the OP's problem with the glass, they seem to be a solid choice.

I think I am the only person to have ever had the glass physically shoot out of the optic. I'm not sure what epoxy is used to seat it, however I have no concerns as I've used RMRs for almost 12 years in various roles and have never had a problem with one. My Agency authorizes red dots for our pistols, and I will continue to use an RMR without hesitation.

If it helps prove how much I trust the RMR; I bought another RM09 after this happened and am having a G45 slide milled for it. I trust them, I just happened to have an incredible failure that I wasn't sure anyone else has experienced. If my electronics had simply died, I wouldn't have even made a post. That was far more likely than having the glass commit suicide.

I managed to break the operating rod on a brand new M240L during its first range trip. I seem to have interesting failures with equipment that never make sense, they just happen.

GTF425
07-20-20, 10:50
OP - you may want to reach out to member GJM here. He has a lot of rounds through RMR's as well. You gents comparing notes would be very useful, I think.

Thanks for the data points, and stay safe.

Copy, thank you.

*ETA: I received an RA number from Trijicon, their customer service has been great. I'll update how the entire process went once it wraps up.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-20-20, 13:28
I have somewhere around 7k rds through my RMR equipped handgun, never had an issue. I know it isn't a whole lot, but it's been very reliable for me. I have a week long, 1k plus roundcount course next week, and I'll be using my P320/RMR combo. I'll report back if there are any issues, but I'd be very surprised if there are.

07-20-20, 13:35
I think I am the only person to have ever had the glass physically shoot out of the optic. I'm not sure what epoxy is used to seat it, however I have no concerns as I've used RMRs for almost 12 years in various roles and have never had a problem with one. My Agency authorizes red dots for our pistols, and I will continue to use an RMR without hesitation.

If it helps prove how much I trust the RMR; I bought another RM09 after this happened and am having a G45 slide milled for it. I trust them, I just happened to have an incredible failure that I wasn't sure anyone else has experienced. If my electronics had simply died, I wouldn't have even made a post. That was far more likely than having the glass commit suicide.

I managed to break the operating rod on a brand new M240L during its first range trip. I seem to have interesting failures with equipment that never make sense, they just happen.

Def not the first to have that failure mode. Lol at breaking a 240. You do seem to have genuinely awful luck.

Some of the guys in my county are using DPP, which I cautioned against, but it seems to be working so far.

yoni
07-20-20, 15:21
GTF425 I am impressed that you broke an brand new M240L, in Israel they have been in use forever and almost never break.

My claim to fame is I broke an open bolt mini Uzi, while teaching an International anti terror class.

Pappabear
07-20-20, 17:01
GTF425 I am impressed that you broke an brand new M240L, in Israel they have been in use forever and almost never break.

My claim to fame is I broke an open bolt mini Uzi, while teaching an International anti terror class.

Well I can’t top that shit, well done.

But I do love me some RDS on anything everything. I run one on a Legion X5 for competition with Holosun with zero issues. And a Sig 320 compact to carry with RDS. I’ll never go back with my fckd up eyes.

PB

Eurodriver
07-20-20, 17:34

This is impressive. Uzis are notoriously reliable.

GTF425
07-20-20, 18:00

It was an anomaly, for sure. I never had any major problems with 240s apart from deadlining that brand new Lima. Our problem children were always the SAWs.

If anyone wants a laugh- I was the gun team leader AG'ing my gunner running tables with the brand new Lima. I rotated on to the gun to qual, and during the transition firing, the operating rod broke. So we got to be the gun team still humping the 240B while every other team had the lighter 240L. And yes; my gunner made sure I knew it was still a Bravo by constantly bitching about it every jump and FTX.

GTF425
07-20-20, 18:02
Def not the first to have that failure mode.

I just want to be special. :(

You do seem to have genuinely awful luck.

This wedding is horseshit.

yoni
07-20-20, 18:51
My failure with the open bolt Uzi was in front of an international class of cops. I racked the bolt back on an open bolt mini Uzi, and with my finger out of the trigger guard, which was being filmed so I had proof of finger out of the guard it ripped through a full mag of ammo on full auto.

07-20-20, 18:58
Lolz.

GTF425
08-13-20, 17:11
Repaired RMR arrived today. I received an RA# within 24 hours of requesting one, and it took about 3 weeks total from when the sight arrived at Trijicon that it was back on my doorstep.

Leuthas
08-13-20, 18:06
Did they actually repair it? I honestly would have expected them (knowing Trijicon) to replace it. Good on them either way.

GTF425
08-13-20, 18:10
Did they actually repair it? I honestly would have expected them (knowing Trijicon) to replace it. Good on them either way.

Yes. It was sent in without the glass and has a brand new lens.

And they cleaned off all of the clear nail polish, etc. I'm sure it went through a full QC process before shipping back and trust it to keep ticking.

I'm going to laugh if it's within an inch of being zeroed.

*ETA- if anyone from Trijicon read this; thanks.

WickedWillis
08-13-20, 18:34

And they cleaned off all of the clear nail polish, etc. I'm sure it went through a full QC process before shipping back and trust it to keep ticking.

I too am a little surprised they didn't just give you a new optic.

They took care of me a few months ago when I was having flickering issues on my type 1. I have no issues with their CS at all.

TheTick
08-16-20, 17:51

Did you zero yet? I'm curious...

GTF425
08-17-20, 11:31
Did you zero yet? I'm curious...

Not yet.

I have an idea what you're curious about. I have put it back on my slide and it appears very close to zeroed. I zero RMRs at 25y, so I'll be sure to post the first 5 round group on a B8 before making any adjustments.