PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce NSX 2.5 -10x 42

dpb1776
07-13-20, 19:31
Looking at one of these for a 20inch spr type rifle. Currently has a vx-r patrol rifle optic but looking to upgrade. I like the Nightforce for the glass clarity, elevation, zero stop etc plus I qualify for the discount. I will also be running an offset red dot on the rifle. Any other optics that have come on the market that would be a good choice? Looked at a Steiner TX5 3-15 also the Burris XTR 3-15 but they are a little on the bulky side. I did like the Burris 2-10 but they are no longer being made and plus had a really tight eyebox. Not really interested in FFP at 10 or under magnification. Thanks for any input

SomeOtherGuy
07-14-20, 19:58
I bought and returned one of those a few years ago - I wasn't impressed with the glass, the uneven illumination, or the pushbutton illumination control. I own other NF optics (full size NXS and SHV F1) and like the company in general, but just did not like that model.

EDIT: I recently tried an NX8 with the same pushbutton illumination ("Digillum") and on that scope it works fine. Not sure if my NXS Compact was funky or I just didn't play with it long enough. The other comments on the NXS stand. The NX8 is awesome though.

The XTRII is really good for its price, but much larger as you noted. Another option I would look at is the Sig Whiskey5 series, some of which are really inexpensive right now at Euro:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-WHISKEY5-Scope-3-15x52mm-30mm-SFP-Mrad-Milling-Hunter-Illum-Reticle-Le.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-Whiskey-5-2-10x42-30mm-Hellfire-Quadplex-Black.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-WHISKEY5-Scope-2-10x42mm-30mm-SFP-Mrad-Milling-Hunter-Illum-Reticle-01.aspx
and others at that site. I have the 3-15x both 42 and 52mm models, and they are very compact, have great glass, and seem very well built.

I would also consider the Vortex Razor HD LHT which is available with a mil or MOA system and with illumination, and look at any Leupold models that you might like (VX5/6 or Mark 5/6).

dpb1776
07-14-20, 23:38
Cool thank you for the feedback

everready73
07-15-20, 09:18
Meopta Optika 6 would be worth a look. They have 2.5-15x44 in SFP and get really good feedback . DarkLord of optics had some really positive things to say about them. They are priced lower than nightforce and a really good value

RKB Armory
07-15-20, 09:56
Burris is a good choice and value.

I would also consider a Riton X7 Conquer 3-18 . I've been pleasantly surprised by another X7 I've seen come through our shop.

dpb1776
07-15-20, 10:09
I have heard of those but never laid eyes on one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMT/556
07-15-20, 19:50
I really like my NF 2.5x10x32 (C478), small footprint and light. I don't use the illumination at all but notice it is a tick irregular. The scope has been solid though and one of my favorites. It's on my 18" gun.

Jsp10477
07-15-20, 21:58
We have 2 x42’s and 1 x32 on some MWS’s. They’ve been solid performers banging steel out to 800 yards. I like the 32’s illumination better. They will eventually be replaced with 4-16x42 ATACR’s.

dpb1776
07-15-20, 23:11
cool thank you for the feedback

davidjinks
07-16-20, 19:55
I’ve never seen a Nightforce with push button illumination, especially in the NXS line.

I bought and returned one of those a few years ago - I wasn't impressed with the glass, the uneven illumination, or the pushbutton illumination control. I own other NF optics (full size NXS and SHV F1) and like the company in general, but just did not like that model.

The XTRII is really good for its price, but much larger as you noted. Another option I would look at is the Sig Whiskey5 series, some of which are really inexpensive right now at Euro:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-WHISKEY5-Scope-3-15x52mm-30mm-SFP-Mrad-Milling-Hunter-Illum-Reticle-Le.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-Whiskey-5-2-10x42-30mm-Hellfire-Quadplex-Black.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-WHISKEY5-Scope-2-10x42mm-30mm-SFP-Mrad-Milling-Hunter-Illum-Reticle-01.aspx
and others at that site. I have the 3-15x both 42 and 52mm models, and they are very compact, have great glass, and seem very well built.

I would also consider the Vortex Razor HD LHT which is available with a mil or MOA system and with illumination, and look at any Leupold models that you might like (VX5/6 or Mark 5/6).

davidjinks
07-16-20, 19:58
My 2.5-10x24 was one of the best scopes I’d ever purchased. I know it’s not the model you’re asking about but it’s pretty close.

Looking at one of these for a 20inch spr type rifle. Currently has a vx-r patrol rifle optic but looking to upgrade. I like the Nightforce for the glass clarity, elevation, zero stop etc plus I qualify for the discount. I will also be running an offset red dot on the rifle. Any other optics that have come on the market that would be a good choice? Looked at a Steiner TX5 3-15 also the Burris XTR 3-15 but they are a little on the bulky side. I did like the Burris 2-10 but they are no longer being made and plus had a really tight eyebox. Not really interested in FFP at 10 or under magnification. Thanks for any input

dpb1776
07-16-20, 20:14
My 2.5-10x24 was one of the best scopes I’d ever purchased. I know it’s not the model you’re asking about but it’s pretty close.

I have heard those were really good

Leftie
07-16-20, 20:42
The Nightforce 2.5-10x42 is a fantastic optic, and I personally think it's one of the more versatile models available from NF. The adjustable parallax is a nice feature to have, and it performs great in a variety of lighting conditions. I haven't had a problem with the glass, and find it to be adequately sharp/clear. The eyebox is relatively forgiving as well at 10x, and it isn't bulky. It is built like a tank, though. The illumination feature is nice to have, but I don't really use it.

All in all, it's a really, really capable optic on an SPR -style rifle, and I like mine a lot. It isn't too much magnification, nor is it too little.

It's also worth noting that if you're not looking at FFP options or LPVOs like a 1-8 ATACR, or the new Vortex 1-10, then it is extremely hard to beat the NXS at the value/price point/reticle choices/performance, especially in SFP.

If I were building an 18" or 20" upper, I would certainly be looking at either of these two LPVO, given my uses. The only things that I am not a fan of on the ATACR and Vortex 1-10 are the fact that they lack an adjustable parallax, especially on the Vortex, given the magnification...

SomeOtherGuy
07-16-20, 20:52
I’ve never seen a Nightforce with push button illumination, especially in the NXS line.

Then you must be a time traveler?

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology/illumination

DigIllum™

DigIllum™ digital reticle illumination technology is available in select Nightforce riflescopes. As Nightforce’s premier illumination system, Digillum increases convenience and functionality in a single button control. Choose the appropriate illumination setting for your lighting conditions—either red or green, in five intensities from very dim to extremely bright. The illumination will turn off automatically after 1 hour or can be manually turned off to extend battery life. When illumination is turned back on, it defaults to your previously chosen setting, ensuring your night vision will not be adversely affected and that you’re instantly ready for a shot. Finally, Digillum is built into the side focus control, adding no additional width or extra knobs to the scope.

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/nxs/nxs-25-10x42-compact

Illumination DigIllum™

It is a pushbutton system, and IMHO it's mediocre (and very similar to the Leupold Firedot control, which is also mediocre). The older NXS system of pulling out the parallax knob wasn't great either, FWIW. Digillum offers multiple settings, but is clunky to use.

gunnerblue
07-16-20, 22:33
I love the 2.5-10x24/32/42 for lightweight rifles. For my own SPRish build I went with the ATACR 4-16X42. Similar footprint but with approx 50% more magnification. It comes with a weight penalty as well. The 4-14 SHV F1 is also excellent if on a budget and not minding overall size

dpb1776
07-17-20, 08:51
I am going to go with the Nightforce the combination of size and weight, versatility, FOV and eyebox seems hard to beat. Funny I didn't think I would want another SFP optic but after a couple of years of messing with FFP and SFP you learn shortcomings and advantages of both. Bolt guns and probably when I get a large frame AR I will probably go with a FFP optic with higher magnification. But on a smaller rifle I think I prefer SFP. The Leupold VX-R pro I am using has proven to be versatile the main problem is no zero stop and the reticle is very thick which hurts precision on long range targets. Trying to hit an 8 inch plate at 500 yards can prove challenging when it disappears when you put the cross hairs on it, the scope is a great hunting scope, the thick reticle does make it fast to get on target. Also not to mention but as crazy as things are getting I want a scope that is basically bomb proof, but that is another topic all together. Thank everyone for all the advice and feedback

LMT/556
07-17-20, 09:53
Check out the EE sections here, at TOS, and snipers hide. Second hand is a great way to try out scopes, and you might find something you want that's been DC'd.

davidjinks
07-18-20, 21:45
Thanks for the info. Like I said, I’ve never seen that before.

Then you must be a time traveler?

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology/illumination

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/nxs/nxs-25-10x42-compact

It is a pushbutton system, and IMHO it's mediocre (and very similar to the Leupold Firedot control, which is also mediocre). The older NXS system of pulling out the parallax knob wasn't great either, FWIW. Digillum offers multiple settings, but is clunky to use.

07-19-20, 08:03
I have quite a bit of time behind a X42

Damn good scope and is good at 10X.

I also have a lot behind the ATACR 4-16X42.

Awesome scope and my pick if budget allows.

Both top notch optics that hold up to heavy use.

Pappabear
07-19-20, 08:40
I love the 2.5-10x24/32/42 for lightweight rifles. For my own SPRish build I went with the ATACR 4-16X42. Similar footprint but with approx 50% more magnification. It comes with a weight penalty as well. The 4-14 SHV F1 is also excellent if on a budget and not minding overall size

I think gunner nailed as did 17k, so let me add. Since your going to run a RDS offset, you don’t need the lower mag. The ATACR is compact but kind of heavy, so if price and weight discourage you. The SHV F1 is good to go. But the ATACR is my pick too.

PB

LMT/556
07-19-20, 10:23
I have the 4x16 ATACR also on a 6.5 Creedmore large frame AR and while it's maybe compact in the big scope world I would hardly call it compact on a small frame AR . It's hard to beat the 2.5x10x32 NSX in weight and footprint.

RHINOWSO
07-19-20, 14:47
The adjustable parallax on the more recent NSX 2.5-10x42 is awesome. The x24 has the compact form factor down pat but once I start pushing the distance out with it, that feature is sorely missed.

Pappabear
07-20-20, 09:13
The adjustable parallax on the more recent NSX 2.5-10x42 is awesome. The x24 has the compact form factor down pat but once I start pushing the distance out with it, that feature is sorely missed.

I had one of 2.5-10 and couldn’t agree more, no parallax knob made me cra cra.

PB

Leftie
08-05-20, 20:10
I had one of 2.5-10 and couldn’t agree more, no parallax knob made me cra cra.

PB

Agree as well. The adjustable parallax is very, very useful at distance.

everready73
08-06-20, 09:17
Nightforce just announced a new NX 8 2.5-20x50 yesterday that might be worth a look. FFP and SFP versions

It is compact at 12 inches. Weight is about 28oz

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/nx8#pm%3A%7B%22limit%22%3A0%7D

Leftie
08-06-20, 17:48
Nightforce just announced a new NX 8 2.5-20x50 yesterday that might be worth a look. FFP and SFP versions

Depending on your uses, this is an interesting optic, but the exit pupil at 20x is TINY.

Bimmer
08-06-20, 20:59
Depending on your uses, this is an interesting optic, but the exit pupil at 20x is TINY.

2.5mm, right?

That's smallish, but not extremely small... It would be a hair bigger than the 2.5-10x24 at 20x (2.4mm), and about the same as any 16x scope with a 42mm lens (2.6mm).

Now, the 4-32x50 NX8? That's going to be a tiny pupil at max magnification...

dpb1776
08-06-20, 21:23
I looked at those but still going with the 2.5 -10. I want the rifle fast 200 yards and under and the compact just seems to hit all the buttons. I actually got a chance to get behind one and I like it. Glass not a super big difference with the Leupold. But huge difference in eye box, FOV and thinner reticle to get a little more precise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maximus83
08-19-20, 21:09

I believe those have been out for a while, unless they're introducing a new twist on their existing line.

I have the NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 FFP, which I got last year when they came out. Great scope for a DMR-type setup where you want relatively more range.

SomeOtherGuy
08-20-20, 13:58
I believe those have been out for a while, unless they're introducing a new twist on their existing line.

I have the NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 FFP, which I got last year when they came out. Great scope for a DMR-type setup where you want relatively more range.

The FFP have been out since last year and were simply the "NX8", now they have come out with a SFP series to replace the SFP NXS and so the NX8 line now has F1 and SFP models. Given the pricing and the 8:1 zoom ratio, I don't think the SFP series is really necessary or going to sell very well. The FFP models are great.

maximus83
08-20-20, 14:26
The FFP have been out since last year and were simply the "NX8", now they have come out with a SFP series to replace the SFP NXS and so the NX8 line now has F1 and SFP models. Given the pricing and the 8:1 zoom ratio, I don't think the SFP series is really necessary or going to sell very well. The FFP models are great.

Adding those for the hunting guys.

SageRatSafaris
08-20-20, 14:29
FWIW, here's a list of scopes similar to the NXS 2.5-10x42 (https://sageratsafaris.com/rifle-scopes-comparable-to-the-nightforce-nxs-2-5-10x42/). Just a random coincidence that a user on SnipersHide asked the same question as you did a few months ago.

All scopes that meet the following:

Min mag <= 3X
Max mag >= 9X
Length <= 13" (NF 2.5-10 is 11.9")
Weight <= 25 oz (NF 2.5-10 is 20.5 oz)
Illuminated
Adjustable parallax

abso
08-28-20, 18:23
I had one one a while back, the glass was pretty mediocre for the price. There was actually a bunch of chromatic aberration which was unfortunate. Nightforce didn't care and I eventually sold it. Push button illumination was also funky and the illuminagion was uneven on the reticle.

I pretty much only buy vortex scopes at this point. The Razor/PST Gen II are solid imo

davidjinks
10-07-20, 18:42
That was weird!