PDA

View Full Version : Need a recommendation for a builder

dlrflyer
07-14-20, 13:44
I have a full Mega MATEN builder set and I’m short on time and tools. Any recommendations for a builder experienced with AR-10’s? I know with out a set standard like AR-15’s, there are many pitfalls in building these.

Red*Lion
07-14-20, 15:16
AR's in .308 are more widely common in parts and standards than in the past. With that said, you still have the Armalite type and the DPMS type. DPMS is the far more common type. If you have built any AR15's in the past, you should be able to tackle a build in .308.
By the way, only Armalites are really "AR10s" and anything else are AR .308's.

JediGuy
07-14-20, 16:16
I’ve heard great things about Citizen Arms.

everready73
07-15-20, 09:09
John Thomas at Retro Arms Works would be worth contacting. He has done several things for me and all work is exceptional. I have recommended to several others here that have been impressed as well

If you contact him he replies very fast usually

https://retroarmsworks.com/

usmc51
07-15-20, 10:45
Not sure where you're located, or if that matters to you, but I would recommend Aquilla Custom Gun Works in Bend, NC. I've seen about a dozen of his AR builds, and the accuracy testing. The owner, Ryan, is a buddy of mine and former instructor. His Facebook is more updated than his website, I believe, and you can check out a lot of his work there.

kyjd75
07-18-20, 04:29
John Thomas at Retro Arms Works would be worth contacting. He has done several things for me and all work is exceptional. I have recommended to several others here that have been impressed as well

If you contact him he replies very fast usually

https://retroarmsworks.com/

I also recommend John Thomas. He has worked on several rifles for me, from simply Pin and Welds to cutting and re-threading barrels. Each time his work has been literally "perfect." Fast service and reasonable pricing. He would be a good choice for you.

TMS951
07-18-20, 13:05
I think the money is better spent on the tools than a smiths time.

As to time you’re looking at 2 hours tops. It’s not that difficult to do it. Watch some your tube videos and get a book, you’ll be all set.

It may seeem daunting if you’ve never done it, but you’ll find to be enjoyable and not that difficult.

jpmuscle
07-18-20, 13:24
I think the money is better spent on the tools than a smiths time.

As to time you’re looking at 2 hours tops. It’s not that difficult to do it. Watch some your tube videos and get a book, you’ll be all set.

It may seeem daunting if you’ve never done it, but you’ll find to be enjoyable and not that difficult.

This. You’re way better off buying the correct tools and a vise in the long run.

Assembling and AR is not difficult at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlrflyer
07-19-20, 05:56
Thanks everyone, I will chew on your answers.