PDA

View Full Version : Rogers super stock

Ehgbyf
07-15-20, 20:46
Are these good to go. I have a new 11.5 colt 6943 coming and was thinking of putting one on it.

minuteman1636
07-15-20, 20:54
Rogers Super Stocs come on factory Colt rifles for a period of time. They haven't been used for many years. They were Colt branded and can be found for sale pretty often.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Stickman
07-15-20, 23:05
Colt stopped using them for a reason. They did not get rave reviews, and were typically replaced ASAP when they reached the buyer / owner. Notice that you never see them in pics.

minuteman1636
07-15-20, 23:07
Colt stopped using them for a reason. They did not get rave reviews, and were typically replaced ASAP when they reached the buyer / owner. Notice that you never see them in pics.You make a great point that I failed to mention. I think the only reason people buy them (Colt branded) are to have as part of their collection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SBRSarge
07-16-20, 01:19
I actually kind of like them. I first saw one on a factory Wilson Combat rifle and ended up using a few on my builds.

Lately though, I like the Hogue stock.

Ehgbyf
07-16-20, 07:10
I have a new colt on the way and I don’t like their collapsible stock. What are your favorites that are sub $100?

A little cheek weld is nice. I will be using a carry handle rear sight and a flip up colt front sight on a 11.5 barrel.

Thanks for your help

GTF425
07-16-20, 07:27
B5 SOPMOD.

ETA: Threads were merged- this was originally posted in a threat titled "Favorite stocks under $100", for context.

jimmyheadgear
07-16-20, 07:32
I love them. They're lighter than Magpul stuff and they fit very tightly on the buffer tubes so there's no rattle.

Circle_10
07-16-20, 07:43
I still make extensive use of the old style CAR stock. The actual Colt N1s are pricey nowadays as they are highly sought-after by collectors and cloners but copies are available from places like M&A Parts and Brownells for like $25-$40, possibly less if you check the used parts bins of your local gun shops.

https://i.imgur.com/gO9ewMz.jpg

I just kinda like them. Are they going to be everyone’s cup of tea? No, but they are compact, light and relatively sleek.

That being said, I’m working on a Recce build and for that I’m going to use a BCM stock as I think its a better choice for that purpose.

Ehgbyf
07-16-20, 07:45
Thanks I am looking for a little more cheekweld

Circle_10
07-16-20, 07:50
Did two threads get merged? I thought I posted in a thread about favorite stocks under $100.

jsbhike
07-16-20, 08:01
They did fairly well.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/

Sample of 1 each, but the SuperStoc lock worked much better than the Magpul STR for me even after tweaking the Magpul.

RHINOWSO
07-16-20, 08:43
I'm all BCM for stocks.

They lockup like a bank vault on LMT and BCM A5 REs.

wetidlerjr
07-16-20, 10:18
Did two threads get merged? I thought I posted in a thread about favorite stocks under $100.

B5 SOPMOD.

ETA: Threads were merged- this was originally posted in a threat titled "Favorite stocks under $100", for context.

:meeting:

feraldog
07-16-20, 10:44
i suspect colt stopped using them after a few complaints of the metal QD sling mount pulling off. not an issue i ever had.

i like the colt/rogers. using them on a number of builds.

note that they make both commercial and milspec tube sizes.

FYI - removing the rubber pad, it makes it one of the lightest around, comparable to the MFT BattleLink "L"-shaped stock, and only beat by the N1 Fiberlite.

markm
07-16-20, 10:54
Although I'm a function over fashion guy... I do have to pass on the Rogers stock on looks alone. It's beyond unsightly.

JediGuy
07-16-20, 11:01
It’s not light, but the Magpul SL-S has a great cheek weld (for me). Best stock available, in my opinion.

But, I’m also using an M4 waffle stock on a carbine to save some weight. Any “rattle” doesn’t actually bother me. The only downside is that there is not a QD point, and the IWC Mount-N-Slot QD socket doesn’t not work with either Colt contract or LMT M4 stocks. I did like the Magpul SL, which is probably the best all around compromise.

Nowski87
07-16-20, 12:50
I still make extensive use of the old style CAR stock. The actual Colt N1s are pricey nowadays as they are highly sought-after by collectors and cloners but copies are available from places like M&A Parts and Brownells for like $25-$40, possibly less if you check the used parts bins of your local gun shops.

https://i.imgur.com/gO9ewMz.jpg

I just kinda like them. Are they going to be everyone’s cup of tea? No, but they are compact, light and relatively sleek.

That being said, I’m working on a Recce build and for that I’m going to use a BCM stock as I think its a better choice for that purpose.

IF anyone is looking for Colt car stock Big Daddy Unlimited got a bunch in.

markm
07-16-20, 13:20
IF anyone is looking for Colt car stock Big Daddy Unlimited got a bunch in.

What is "Big Daddy"?

Ehgbyf
07-16-20, 13:29
Shark arms has some colt waffle stocks available as well.

Circle_10
07-16-20, 13:29
What is "Big Daddy"?

It’s like an online “members only” retailer where you can get gun stuff for discounted prices. I signed up for the .99 cent trial just to check it out but am unlikely to stay and pay the $9.95/month rate after that.
They do have Colt N1s listed for $75.99. They are apparently quite well used.

markm
07-16-20, 14:10
It’s like an online “members only” retailer where you can get gun stuff for discounted prices. I signed up for the .99 cent trial just to check it out but am unlikely to stay and pay the $9.95/month rate after that.

Yikes! Somehow all my N1s drifted off. I always say there must have been hundreds of them tossed out in L.E. Arms rooms when all the aftermarket stocks started rolling out in the 90s.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-16-20, 14:30
I'm a fan of the LMT/B5 SOPMOD or B5 Bravo. The Bravo is a little thinner with less cheek weld and no storage.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-16-20, 14:31

I did the 30 day trial as well, anything I needed was out of stock or easily found elsewhere for the same price or less.

26 Inf
07-16-20, 14:32
Reply on the Rogers stock: I have one which I've used extensively.

The pros: locks up tight, no rattle; lightweight; good ergonomically designed butt pad (my opinion).

The cons: has a 'loop' on top to keep to sling buckle from riding up and over if you use the around the tube method (butt ugly IMO, I cut them off with a linoleum blade and sand smooth); QD attachment point is mounted too low IMO and the sling slot for the around the buttpad mount is also too low IMO.

It also isn't going to give you wider shoulders for cheekweld if that's what you want - something I prefer.

All things considered, if the QD and sling slot positioned that low doesn't bother you, it is a very, very, solid stock for, generally, under $40.00.

My preferences for a solid stock under $100.00:

1) TI-7 - https://www.wmdguns.com/ar-15-m16-ti-7-buttstock-black.html ($75.00) this stock has the shoulder width I prefer; the butt/recoil pad is perfectly shaped, and the QD socket is located properly; it also has storage tubes; downside - no slot for sling to go through for the around the butt/recoil pad mount. I have a couple.

2) Magpul SL https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/stocks/ar15-m4-m16-sr25-m110-ar10/moe-sl-carbine-stock-mil-spec.html?mp_global_color=118 ($59.95) nice shoulders, nicely shaped butt/recoil pad; biggest drawback, IMO, is the lack of the ability to run the sling around the butt/recoil pad. Not an issue if you use QD mounts. I have a couple.

3) B5 Bravo - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021690933 ($58.00) nice shoulders, butt/recoil pad is shorter which may not suit all; biggest drawback, IMO, is the lack of the ability to run the sling around the butt/recoil pad. Not an issue if you use QD mounts. I have one.

1986s4
07-16-20, 20:04
My sample of stocks is quite low, I have a Colt CAR stock, LMT waffle stock, Colt Waffle and my newish Rogers stock. I like the Rogers best by a good margin. I don't attach my sling to the stock so the QD mount and top slot doesn't bother me.

Rifleman_04
07-17-20, 18:41
What is "Big Daddy"?

A place to order from if you enjoy long wait times for shipping (15 days for things marked in stock) or not so great prices on most things even though you pay a subscription.

But hey all the cool guy you tubers and their weirdo followers say you should shop there.

Rifleman_04
07-17-20, 18:46
I think I have used almost every new stock that has come out in the last 15 years and I’ve settled on the super stock for my main carbines. Solid lock up like way better than anything magpul, light and isn’t silly wide on the cheek area. Even took a fair bit of abuse in that military times test for what that’s worth. I don’t drop my rifles anyway.

jsbhike
07-17-20, 19:21
Reply on the Rogers stock: I have one which I've used extensively.

The cons: has a 'loop' on top .

And sucks to the point of being ridiculous. Almost like Chinese made stuff where they stick something on for looks with no idea how it is to be used. Really odd considering everything else is fairly solidly built.

Opie
07-18-20, 01:04
I've been running two on my duty rifles for over 10 years and they have held up very well. No intention to change anything out.

Butch
07-19-20, 05:59
I have a Colt branded one that came on a 6940. It's a stock. I can say nothing good or bad about it.

Renegade04
07-19-20, 12:36
For a less than $100 carbine stock with a good cheekweld, I would recommend looking into the B5 SOPMOd Enhanced or the BCMGUNFIGHTER MOD 0 SOPMOD.

B5 SOPMOD Enhanced
https://i.imgur.com/FLUKTmn.jpg

BCMGUNFIGHTER MOD 0 SOPMOD
https://i.imgur.com/yiVHsDk.jpg

Core781
07-19-20, 12:52
They are exceptionally well made stocks. It's my opinion that folks do not like the visual appearance of them, due to the round lever hinge on both sides of the stock. In my opinion they are once of the best stocks you can get. I use a Colt Waffle Stock on my M4's, they are light, and bomb proof and came with them. To me a Roger's would be an upgrade over the Colt Waffle Stock. Aftermarket furniture can be junk versus Colt so beware. I would prefer to use Magpul myself due to low cost and availability. I use all Colt stocks and Gen. I SOPMOD for any scoped AR. If you have or can obtain a Colt or Non-Colt Roger's Stock enjoy an amazing stock, if you dont like it sell it to me for cheap!! LOL :p

ThomPorter
07-23-20, 14:54
Nope!!

Voodoochild.

markm
07-23-20, 18:05
It's my opinion that folks do not like the visual appearance of them

That is absolutely 100% my issue with them. I admit it. Sliding stocks don't to anything amazing enough to be that ugly.

Core781
07-23-20, 18:22
The Colt N1 is one of the best stocks in my opinion, however the newer Waffle stock is pretty decent for a lower cost alternative and it will hold up to more abuse and has a more aggressive texture. Despite the nostalgia of the Colt stocks the Magpul options are really so much more functional as far as sling options and comfort. I did find that I shoot faster with a Waffle stock due to the aggressive texture. I have used Magpuls with the thick butt pad and I found them to be very comfortable but slower to get a intuitive cheek weld. I use a SOPMOD type stock for long rifles, I like the smooth butt pad and the wide cheek rest on the stock.

Core781
07-23-20, 18:32
That is absolutely 100% my issue with them. I admit it. Sliding stocks don't to anything amazing enough to be that ugly.

Got to look cool 😎 for the ladies. My N1 is retro sexy. But the Waffle stock is faster and still looks good. The Rogers hinge violates the “if all else fails look good doing it” rule.. 😂🤣

Bret
07-24-20, 08:59
One came on my Colt LE6933. I like it enough that I bought four more when I found a deal for them at $25 each.

Circle_10
07-24-20, 09:17
Got to look cool �� for the ladies. My N1 is retro sexy. But the Waffle stock is faster and still looks good. The Rogers hinge violates the “if all else fails look good doing it” rule.. ����

Aesthetic preferences are a funny thing. I like the compact, relatively streamlined look of the N1/CAR style stock, but the “waffle” stock is one of my least favorite AR stocks from a visual standpoint. Has no bearing on actual practicality of course.

Core781
07-24-20, 11:51
Its really a interesting subject: gun aesthetics. Some of the most effective gun/gun furniture designs will fail due to appearance. I feel the Rogers Stock falls into this category. It’s a really good stock that just doesn’t excite folks in its appearance. I believe Magpul has it figured out and some other furniture companies like BCM, in making sexy stocks. I believe guns like the 1911 were viewed as ugly originally (as compared to Revolvers) but now after a hundred years of military use have a level of sexy nostalgia. I would be interested to see if the original users of the 1911 thought they were ugly or not? If we could find a military vet still alive who used the first 1911?

Stickman
07-24-20, 12:42
For a less than $100 carbine stock with a good cheekweld, I would recommend looking into the B5 SOPMOd Enhanced or the BCMGUNFIGHTER MOD 0 SOPMOD.

B5 SOPMOD Enhanced
https://i.imgur.com/FLUKTmn.jpg

BCMGUNFIGHTER MOD 0 SOPMOD
https://i.imgur.com/yiVHsDk.jpg

You nailed it, verbage, pictures... you did it all!

Read his post twice, because its the same thing I was going to say and do. :D

Core781
07-24-20, 17:24
Im a fan of the SOPMOD. I feel it’s too bulky for a 14.5” or less barrel. I might use it on an 16-18”. I have talked with a bunch of high speed folks who really like the B5 Bravo stock as an alternative to the SOPMOD. I have a gen1 B5 SOPMOD without the QD attachment on a SPR and I love it.

markm
07-24-20, 18:33
Im a fan of the SOPMOD. I feel it’s too bulky for a 14.5” or less barrel.

I've run the SOPMOD and several guns and taken it off due to bulk. But oddly enough, I love it on my 10.5" ranch gun.

https://i.imgur.com/oShM011.jpg

JediGuy
07-24-20, 21:40
But oddly enough, I love it on my 10.5" ranch gun.

Haven’t rolled with any SOPMODs, but I’ve got an SL-S on the 12.5/11.5. Just took one off the 16” and went back to a waffle.
So apparently the oddness isn’t too odd.

P2Vaircrewman
07-25-20, 09:35
I find the M4 with a long freefloat rail ugly no matter what stock it has. It looks unbalanced. The old Car 15 was more balanced looking.

Ehgbyf
07-26-20, 09:54
I find the M4 with a long freefloat rail ugly no matter what stock it has. It looks unbalanced. The old Car 15 was more balanced looking.

I hope I like it. It will be the 1st monolithic upper I own.

If it does not work out o do have a brand new 11.5 colt upper with the fbi barrel I could put on it. It just has the kas military surplus rails on it.

Core781
07-26-20, 10:46
I have a chopped SOCOM to 10” pistol and it’s pretty hefty on the front end. If I SBRd it, I’d probably need to SOPMOD it to balance it out or a Bravo Stock anyway. Running a Maxim PDW Brace which is pretty hefty on the backend which balances it out. Doing an HRT build next, pretty heavy on the front end, probably look for a Waffle style or Magpul MOE look alike Brace. Id SBR it but I am constantly traveling and living in a border area which makes the SBR pointless from a legal perspective. I would like to see BATFE de regulate their tyrannical stronghold over SBRs and just recognize all SBRs as rifles. I don’t recall the Second Amendment or Article VI giving the government permission to regulate arms? If anyone can cite where it says in the US Constitution where government can regulate arms, I’d be happy to prove you wrong..

Ehgbyf
07-26-20, 10:55
I run a surefire 556 suppressor on my 11.5 guns and that helps balance it out.

I agree about the bullshit rules about crossing state lines. Pain in the butt.

AndyLate
07-26-20, 16:00

For pure asthetics, give me a 16" midlength or an 11.5" carbine with FSB, but we are drifting the thread.