PDA

View Full Version : School status

Krazykarl
07-17-20, 07:18
The high school principal at my daughter's private catholic school finally released the much anticipated decision on the upcoming 2020/2021 school year. We will be open for live instruction with mandatory masks and still undecided on spectators at sporting events. The public school system has banned spectators at all sporting events. The principal has reserved the right to follow Governor Holcomb's recommendations for modification of the reopening plan with a hybrid approach of virtual instruction if needed. In other words, he receives too much state money through vouchers to ignore the governor.

My children are all exhibiting various signs of depression and or anxiety from school being closed down from last season. I have impressed upon the principal's of both the high school and my boy's grade school how essential it is that they remain open to preserve the mental health of this generation. The mental health of my children and their peers has been damaged by a reaction to a disease that does not adversely effect THEIR health.

How are your schools preparing for your children's instruction??

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-17-20, 07:50
Both my kids private schools are going back to life teaching. The grade school can keep kids in fairly small 20 kid cohorts. Not sure how the high school is going to try to group people. The problem is as soon as someone in the cohort group test positive or comes down with Covid you’re going to have to have everyone stay home for 14 days. I could rapidly see where it’s yo-yoing back-and-forth between online and in school. Frankly they just need to have the kids go to school and if the kids sick he doesn’t come to school, and kids go to school until they’re sick. It’s going to spread among kids, and will just have to quarantine from our elderly relatives.

chuckman
07-17-20, 07:54
We homeschool, so this virus has not affected our schooling operations one bit (much to the dismay of our kids). That said, three local systems are going to start the year with totally online, for at least 9 weeks, and go from there.

Krazykarl
07-17-20, 07:59
We found that e-learning last year was a colossal failure in our household as schools were caught unprepared. It showed. My children have a very poor reception to even the threat of e-learning. I am trying to imagine how they are going to enforce masks and/or faceshields on children like my youngest Kindergartener.

JoshNC
07-18-20, 19:46
Private school. Going back full time in-person with masks. Hallelujah.

Belmont31R
07-18-20, 19:59
I'm kind of undecided only because my wife is starting nursing school, and we are going to be relying on her mom to help with the kids. Her mom is 59 and isn't in the best of health but not lingering on death.

Our district is offering optional in person or online but we also have a 5 year old that is supposed to start kindergarten this year.

If you keep them home you might as well homeschool because our kids did online to end the year from spring break on and it was a ****ing nightmare where we had to keep on top of them to get assignments done but there's no way for parents to 'co-learn' with the kids. We only get assignment grades after the fact. Teens will be teens and say they did everything then a week later we get an email saying half their assignments were incomplete. Turned into a constant battle with threats you can't really do shit about because everyone was grounded pretty much as it was.

For us I don't think keeping them cooped up is whats best for them. My daughter going into K has not been in a store or with other people besides the MIL for 4 months now and we can only tolerate this shit for so long before you just have to say **** it and take our chances. My wife is going to be doing clinicals and going forward its just a matter of time before we get it or what we think is we already had this in Feb.

jpmuscle
07-18-20, 20:00
Home schooling is the answer you seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averageman
07-18-20, 20:06
My Son's class schedule was good to go, they are slowly whittling down the number of on campus classes as time goes by though

prepare
07-18-20, 20:31
Albemarle county Virginia will not open in spite of overwhelming majority of students surveyed wanting to return. Democrat states are choosing politics over whats best for the people. No surprise there.

mrbieler
07-18-20, 20:32
Los Angeles Unified and San Diego Unified have announced they will start 100% remote learning in the fall. My wife's smaller district will follow suit, as will most of the districts in the area.

The big issue on the return to classroom is the teachers and fear over teacher safety. It's an older demographic in many areas and those with health concerns are at risk. The schools don't have the budgets to keep things sanitary with a couple hundred kids running around. Most schools don't have HVAC systems that can be upgraded to needed levels either.

My son is going back to college New York on the 9th. School starts on the 24th, but he has to quarantine for 14 days before classes begin. As an athelete, it's monitored so he really can't do much about that. Supposedly a mix of in person and online. They are starting early, will have no holiday breaks, and all the kids will be sent home at Thanksgiving. Finals to be held remote in early December. He plays a spring sport so the team plans to work out and practice this fall. Small groups, keeping distance. Mostly crossfit style as there will be no gym access. I'm not happy, but it helps him focus and playing Division 1 lacrosse is his motivation right now. Trying to remain positive that things will improve by years end.

Honu
07-18-20, 20:39
Homeschool do not send your kids to indoctrination crap YOU be in charge of what they hear learn etc... not someone else

The old joke for me about private schools was always the kids that get kicked out of public for being so bad end up in private !!!

Krazykarl
07-18-20, 20:58
My wife is a professor at a local university. She is the only one in her department committed to live teaching. Every one else is virtual only. She is being ostracized by some of her peers. The students seem excited about returning and actually getting something out of their tuition/debt. I am proud of her.

My children are still daily asking about the start of school and being with their friends. Socialization and emotional / mental well being are essential and must not be sacrificed for a disease that bears little impact on our youth based on scientific and medical reports. Glad to hear that there is some return to whatever normal may be like for fall 2020.

Rogue556
07-18-20, 21:01
Home schooling is the answer you seek.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThis is the way.

My wife and I have already started home schooling our two year old and four year old.

I understand some people are in a position where both spouses are working and home school isn't an option for that situation. I honestly believe though that if someone finds their household in that position they should look at scaling back their lifestyle (dramatically so, if necessary) and allow one parent to stay home while the other is the sole breadwinner. Buying cheaper vehicles, cutting out pointless bills, and not pushing the limits of ones means goes a long way toward achieving this goal.

I couldn't imagine dropping my children off to a government indoctrination center where these psychopaths and their offspring have any chance of poisoning my children's minds. Not to mention with all of the anti LEO lunacy there is now talk of limiting or outright doing away with RSO's and school security.

Of course, it's completely fine to waste half the school district's money on football stadiums and other pointless crap to keep up with a status quo that doesn't matter.

YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

prepare
07-18-20, 21:04
Its for the children...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/north-carolina-teachers-union-demands-benefits-for-illegal-immigrants-before-returning-to-school?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mjk

Diamondback
07-18-20, 21:10
The school my aunt volunteers at is thinking about a split schedule next year, something like:
Monday/Wednesday: 1/2 of each class on-site, other half virtual
Tuesday/Thursday: Halves reversed
Friday: Everybody virtual

jpmuscle
07-18-20, 21:15
This is the way.

My wife and I have already started home schooling our two year old and four year old.

I understand some people are in a position where both spouses are working and home school isn't an option for that situation. I honestly believe though that if someone finds their household in that position they should look at scaling back their lifestyle (dramatically so, if necessary) and allow one parent to stay home while the other is the sole breadwinner. Buying cheaper vehicles, cutting out pointless bills, and not pushing the limits of ones means goes a long way toward achieving this goal.

I couldn't imagine dropping my children off to a government indoctrination center where these psychopaths and their offspring have any chance of poisoning my children's minds. Not to mention with all of the anti LEO lunacy there is now talk of limiting or outright doing away with RSO's and school security.

Of course, it's completely fine to waste half the school district's money on football stadiums and other pointless crap to keep up with a status quo that doesn't matter.

YMMV.

I hear ya.

You’re still in NoVa right?

In any case what’s F’ed about all of this is that teachers are pushing for this nonsense because they’re “scared” to go back to work and get infected. Like gtfoh.

If you can go to Walmart or wherever you can sure as hell go to the classroom and teach. All I ever see is teachers demanding more money because they deserve it and their “essential”. Now here we are and they are in many areas refusing to do their jobs, but still want to get paid full salaries.

It’s not like folks are going to be getting a break on property or school taxes.

jbjh
07-18-20, 22:14
Los Angeles Unified and San Diego Unified have announced they will start 100% remote learning in the fall. My wife's smaller district will follow suit, as will most of the districts in the area.

The big issue on the return to classroom is the teachers and fear over teacher safety. It's an older demographic in many areas and those with health concerns are at risk. The schools don't have the budgets to keep things sanitary with a couple hundred kids running around. Most schools don't have HVAC systems that can be upgraded to needed levels either.

I’m in the same boat in my part of LA (for those not from here, there are several separate, incorporated cities that have their own school systems in Los Angeles county).

With the help of my sister, who is a great teacher, we did ok with the switch over to remote. My oldest was able to bring her grades up across the board (middle school isn’t easy). We had to slow my youngest down and exceed the requirements of 4th grade, not just bang it out.

Ended up getting a whiteboard and writing the day’s assignments down, and checking off as we go.

Luckily, my job lets me be very involved with this (my ex couldn’t supervise this on a bet with her new job). So the girls came over every day and banged it out from 9-5. It was hard work for everyone, but the great thing was we got to spend a lot of time together and got to know each other better than we have in a long time.

I hate this so much, but I’ll take every good thing that comes out of it.

Sent from 80ms in the future

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-18-20, 23:23
If you’re going to go to virtual school is going to have to give you a white list of sites of the kids need, so you can lock down the Internet to on the sites Needed during the day. Teachers have to be a lot more clear on what assignments are and when they are due.

We should have standardized classes across the district, and then put the teaching part of the class on TV. Reruns on YouTube if you want. At least get the basics done that way. Have the kids in Email in answers, hell mail them worksheets and have them send them back into the teachers for grading. I’m tired of this being a pandemic but No one is going to actually do anything besides the absolute minimum to deal with it.

So parents have to work, kids have to stay home, who the hell‘s gonna watch him during the day? We’re keeping the kids home to take the teachers, but we’re gonna be having the grandparents come over and watch the kids. Not to be harsh, but I’d really much rather sacrifice a bunch of public school teachers than grandparents.

The iOS talk to text function sucks donkey Dick. Except for bad language.

SteyrAUG
07-19-20, 01:04
No matter what does or does not happen in schools, day cares are the actual large threat.

People who go to work can't leave young children unsupervised (it's illegal among other things) and often they can't afford better options or don't have a supporting family. Day care age children are basically walking petri dishes and most day cares don't have any workable plans for isolated sub groups of children and honestly once one kid is positive it is almost impossible to isolate at a day care facility.

Anyone who has the means to keep their day care age children at home would be wise to do it. Because if you put them in gen pop with the rest of the snot boogers they might come home with more than a severe flu strain this time.

Working families, especially single parent working families, are going to be at serious risk of this and honestly many have from the beginning.

Belmont31R
07-19-20, 01:18
No matter what does or does not happen in schools, day cares are the actual large threat.

People who go to work can't leave young children unsupervised (it's illegal among other things) and often they can't afford better options or don't have a supporting family. Day care age children are basically walking petri dishes and most day cares don't have any workable plans for isolated sub groups of children and honestly once one kid is positive it is almost impossible to isolate at a day care facility.

Anyone who has the means to keep their day care age children at home would be wise to do it. Because if you put them in gen pop with the rest of the snot boogers they might come home with more than a severe flu strain this time.

Working families, especially single parent working families, are going to be at serious risk of this and honestly many have from the beginning.

My employer put people 65+ or with medical issues on short term disability. Those with child care issues could take random unpaid days off or time off. They also wanted to spread the remaining work force around so they gave running bonuses to people to work different shifts so a bunch of day shift went to nights and got 30% pay boosts.

All those benefits ended a couple of weeks ago but now we're back to peak infections and hospitalization rates are going back up.

They also suspended benefits like 401k matching and profit sharing bonuses.

No idea what they'll do with the increased infections and those people they paid to go to nights with us just returned back to days lmao

At this point I just want someone to say go back to work and take precautions but there's nothing we can do about it this point. These up and down stats and what the working pop should do are absurd. They put in temp scanners but it took 2 days for people to figure out you can manipulate the readings based on how far away you stand from the the machine. Stand a foot too close and it'll read 100-101. On the dot 98. Two high readings and you get two weeks paid off hahaha.

AndyLate
07-19-20, 08:13
If school is distance learning only, single parents and working spouses will still need to decide between sending kids to daycare (if that is an option), losing income, or leaving the kids unsupervised.

We can/are working from home, but can my company really expect that a husband and wife who are both employees to be productive with young school children at home?

If we are distance learning, let's go all the way, lay off a ton of teachers, and spend the money on AI and interactive learning. Lets NEVER return to the classroom.

I probably should add that instructor-led classroom and computer-based training development and distance learning system planning and deployment is what I do (US and foreign military).

Andy

JoshNC
07-19-20, 10:24
I really want to like the idea of home schooling. However, I have yet to meet an adult who was home schooled that I would consider to have normal social interactions. There is real merit to social interactions with peers in a school setting.

Krazykarl
07-19-20, 10:40
I really want to like the idea of home schooling. However, I have yet to meet an adult who was home schooled that I would consider to have normal social interactions. There is real merit to social interactions with peers.

AMEN!!

jpmuscle
07-19-20, 10:41
I really want to like the idea of home schooling. However, I have yet to meet an adult who was home schooled that I would consider to have normal social interactions. There is real merit to social interactions with peers.

My cousins home school. But what they do is partner up with another dozen or so families in the neighborhood to share the workload and bring specialized knowledge from their professional lives into the learning environment. There’s an attorney, psychologist, chem engineer. They networked out of their church originally if I remember correctly. They’ve been doing it for 5-6 years now I believe.

Obviously not feasible for everyone depending on circumstances but I find the idea of a neighborhood based framework particularly intriguing. Especially during the more formative years of childhood development.

AndyLate
07-19-20, 11:06
Church, sports teams, summer camp, boy scouts (I know, I know); there are opportunities to socialize kids outside the school. Schools continue to be more and more transparently Marxist, so the value of socialization becomes questionable.

Andy

Diamondback
07-19-20, 12:24
Church, sports teams, summer camp, boy scouts (I know, I know); there are opportunities to socialize kids outside the school. Schools continue to be more and more transparently Marxist, so the value of socialization becomes questionable.

Andy

Except for the whole Social Distancing BS where you can't gather without a government permission slip... ISTR there as a little thing about "Freedom of Assembly" in the First Amendment.

chuckman
07-19-20, 14:45
I really want to like the idea of home schooling. However, I have yet to meet an adult who was home schooled that I would consider to have normal social interactions. There is real merit to social interactions with peers in a school setting.

What, where they can talk to each other 5 minutes between classes, at lunch, and recess? "Traditionally" schooled kids get a nod to horizontal relationships, but suffer with vertical relationships. Homeschooled kids tend to excel with vertical relationships. There's a lot of data now, the whole "socialization" issue is largely a non-issue.

Diamondback
07-19-20, 14:59
What, where they can talk to each other 5 minutes between classes, at lunch, and recess? "Traditionally" schooled kids get a nod to horizontal relationships, but suffer with vertical relationships. Homeschooled kids tend to excel with vertical relationships. There's a lot of data now, the whole "socialization" issue is largely a non-issue.

I suspect this is part of why the Drafting/Engineering instructor at my high school liked to assign each of his third-year students 3-5 first-years to mentor, knowing that vertical relationships are how you preserve and spread "tribal knowledge."

That was almost a quarter century ago though...

titsonritz
07-19-20, 15:07
I thank God my kids are no longer in school.

chadbag
07-19-20, 17:20
My kids' school, a small charter school (6-12) is splitting classes in half and doing half of each class in-school and half at home, with rotating so you get about half your days in-school and half at home through online at the same time (ie, tuning in to class). Or something like that. They are a STEM based school and already had iPads for all kids, and all sorts of projectors, cameras, etc. and already heavily using online resources as part of their in-school classes so when they went to remote this past Spring it was not that big of a deal in terms of doing the classes / instruction. But the kids want to be with their friends and interact at school. I guess this was the compromise. They start 08/13 so needed to make a decision as school will be starting soon.

My son is a senior this coming year, and they do half-days anyway and are encouraged to do co-enrollment at the community college, which gives them really cheap classes. (If they don't do co-enrollment they have to stay at the school the whole day and do stuff -- they don't get a half day off to goof around). My daughter will be in 7th grade. We'll see how it works out.

As I understand it, the science says it is safe for the kids to return to school. Kids are least likely to be affected and according to some researchers in Germany, kids seem to be a block to the disease -- no case has been traced back to a child. As I understand it.

SteyrAUG
07-19-20, 17:37

I've seen home school groups work, where parents take kids to activities and they get social interaction with other home school kids, but that defeats the purpose of home schooling for isolation from other kids.

Rogue556
07-19-20, 18:14
I hear ya.

You’re still in NoVa right?

In any case what’s F’ed about all of this is that teachers are pushing for this nonsense because they’re “scared” to go back to work and get infected. Like gtfoh.

If you can go to Walmart or wherever you can sure as hell go to the classroom and teach. All I ever see is teachers demanding more money because they deserve it and their “essential”. Now here we are and they are in many areas refusing to do their jobs, but still want to get paid full salaries.

It’s not like folks are going to be getting a break on property or school taxes.

I'm actually located in NE Oklahoma.

Luckily our state is one of the few that requires no notice and has little regulation regarding home schooling. I've often pondered relocating somewhere else just to see what's out there, but honestly Oklahoma is a great place for raising children. We probably won't reconsider that until the kids are out of the house.

Ironically, I know a few people who were looking to start a career as school teachers here in Oklahoma. At the time, our state was refusing to increase wages for teachers and there were strikes as a result. These individuals I know were already complaining about the teacher salaries before they'd even been hired out of college. Not once did the idea of moving to a state with better wages or changing career fields ever cross their minds. That was the deciding factor for me. No way my kids would learn anything from people that stupid.

My cousins home school. But what they do is partner up with another dozen or so families in the neighborhood to share the workload and bring specialized knowledge from their professional lives into the learning environment. There’s an attorney, psychologist, chem engineer. They networked out of their church originally if I remember correctly. They’ve been doing it for 5-6 years now I believe.

Obviously not feasible for everyone depending on circumstances but I find the idea of a neighborhood based framework particularly intriguing. Especially during the more formative years of childhood development.

My wife actually does this with a few people. We are actually lucky in the fact that we know a few other couples that home school and are of a very similar mindset. It certainly makes life easier and allows for that needed face to face interaction, without throwing kids to the will of the lowest common denominator.

I think a lot of people (not all) make excuses for not home schooling, because they realize it requires a pretty substantial life change, and whether the admit it or not, they simply don't want to make that sacrifice. If we are going to right this ship though, it's going to take a few generations making better decisions about their families. Our kids are what will likely determine the fate of our nation, and at a time where there is so much at stake I personally think it's crazy to trust total strangers with our kids development. I mean hell, for a lot of children they spend more time with teachers than their own parents, which is a disgrace.

I know others have mentioned home schooling and the adverse effects it has on social interactions, but most of that information is outdated I believe. We now live in a world where people will text each other while they sit in the same room together. The idea that home schooling is bad for social interaction in contrast to everything else today, kinda seems silly.

Rogue556
07-19-20, 18:25
I've seen home school groups work, where parents take kids to activities and they get social interaction with other home school kids, but that defeats the purpose of home schooling for isolation from other kids.

(Edit: Reread your post and realize you were speaking about isolation as it pertains to the virus. My mistake.)

I think it's less about social isolation as a whole, and more about filtering what your children are exposed to based off of what you know of the people in that group. You can fine tune your childs exposure to the world, instead of letting the chips fall where they may.

At least that's how my wife and I look at it.

My four year old is actually on par with most seven and eight year old kids we know. She's been in ballet for two years now, and is great with social interaction. The same can be said with our two year old, who just finished her first year of ballet. I think your child gets out of home schooling what you the adult are willing to put into it. It definitely has to be a top priority.

CPM
07-19-20, 18:46
COVID-19 has a 99.X% recovery rate, if you believe the wildly inflated positive tests and death numbers. Let’s get on with our lives.

AndyLate
07-19-20, 22:58
Except for the whole Social Distancing BS where you can't gather without a government permission slip... ISTR there as a little thing about "Freedom of Assembly" in the First Amendment.

If you church people would just inform the police chief/sheriff/mayor/governor that there is a protest planned at the church, no one would say boo...

Diamondback
07-19-20, 23:27
If you church people would just inform the police chief/sheriff/mayor/governor that there is a protest planned at the church, no one would say boo...

*I'm* not a churchgoer but that is an excellent strategy... though it has to be a protest *they* approve of. *cough*BurnLootMurder*cough*Antifa*cough*

AKDoug
07-20-20, 01:07

Want to meet some? I can introduce you to a U.S. Army SF officer that's currently in med school, a lady that runs the public relations department for an oil company, a guy that ran a major telecommunications company before starting his own tech company. My wife who helps me run a multi-million dollar company and has her own side businesses (which require huge amounts of social interaction).. I could go on and on.

I've employed over a half dozen men and women that were home schooled. None of them work for me anymore because I was simply a stepping stone to their future. All of them came to me right out of high school and had far better communication skills and interactions with adults than any other 18 y.o.'s I ever hired. My experience is completely the opposite of yours.

Honu
07-20-20, 04:22
So all the young people that are doing what they are to our country today are the good ones :) OK got it
The every one gets a trophy everyone is triggered is from our public education today

I have met many homeschool adults that are truly adults unlike todays 25-35 year old children :)

Never met George Washington or John Adams or James Madison but they did alright by me
Alexander Graham Bell or Thomas Edison did a lot later on also the list goes on

Today’s indoctrination camps are not turning out good adults at all sadly

Parenting is lacking and the key of course and there is no way you can compete with what is being put in there head in todays schools

CPM
07-20-20, 12:48
As someone married to a public school science teacher in Texas, a teacher who knowingly married someone who signed up to be a grunt in 2006, I can assure you all that not all teachers are part of the government indoctrination programs. The most common complaint I hear are how unbelievably shitty and undisciplined the parents are.

Honu
07-20-20, 19:33
Agree not all but the majority are far left sadly
And yeah the parents are the problem cause they came out of the indoctrination public school teachings :) so that in itself tells you its the system they are the product of public school idiocy being taught
Seems the 90s or so was the big push for the idiocy to start and has gotten way worse

As someone married to a public school science teacher in Texas, a teacher who knowingly married someone who signed up to be a grunt in 2006, I can assure you all that not all teachers are part of the government indoctrination programs. The most common complaint I hear are how unbelievably shitty and undisciplined the parents are.

cdb
07-21-20, 08:34

Yup, it's a non-issue. There are fairly recent studies that show homeschooled kids are more socially competent than their peer average and more likely to succeed in careers that are highly dependent on social interaction.

fledge
07-21-20, 09:32
“Socialization” is more a leftist term to prod ignorant parents to keep kids in govt schools.

What it means exactly is intentionally vague like the term “racism” and “social contract.”

Kids, no matter the school, learn from their parents and families. Awkward parents make awkward kids, even if they kid goes to a public school.

In our experience, homeschooling has detoxed a lot of dysfunctional relationships BS learned from peer groups at public school who are prey to fashion, trends, and lord of the flies. And that’s not even the indoctrination part. Kids grow up emotionally immature today in these structures for a reason. And then the structures blame families.

Human beings are not designed to flourish in the machinations of institutionalism, divorced from their parents and the adult world. Of course if humans are just machines after all, which leftist ideology pushes on the philosophical level, we’d see different results these utopian institutions provide (“if only they had more money”).

While public school trains kids to survive on they kind of world, it doesn’t teach them to flourish. It’s the lowest denominator of our society, hardly the aim. There’s more to growing a mature man or woman than herd “education.”

That said, our society is habituated towards institutionalism so breaking that habit does cause immense stress on many. Then again, this forum isn’t too fond, in principle, on such dependency. “I’m prepped for civil unrest as long as the govt still gives my kid some babysitting socializing classroom time.”

chuckman
07-21-20, 09:39
Slight thread derail, but what astounds me--and I see this in other, 'conservative' friends--is that the people who clamor the loudest to get 'The State' out of personal affairs, out of healthcare, etc., are also very much onboard with the public education it-takes-a-village philosophy.* I guess we all have our blind spots.

*Not accusing anyone here of this....

Business_Casual
07-24-20, 07:02
If schools are 100% online, teachers could be put on a 1/1000 ratio. So we can fire thousands of teachers because class size is no longer an issue.

Vandal
07-24-20, 07:17
If schools are 100% online, teachers could be put on a 1/1000 ratio. So we can fire thousands of teachers because class size is no longer an issue.

I had a thought along the same line, if everything is online and we don't need teachers to be driving to schools, setting up classrooms, etc it's time to cut pay and teacher numbers.

Life's a Hillary
07-24-20, 09:17
How do you expect one teacher to help 1000 kindergarteners that need a lot more attention than a video lecture? Or how are they supposed to give special attention to the kid that falls behind? This isn’t college where the onus is completely on the student and you can have massive class sizes. Something like that for primary education would only serve to degrade an already poor public education system.

everready73
07-24-20, 09:51
How do you expect one teacher to help 1000 kindergarteners that need a lot more attention than a video lecture? Or how are they supposed to give special attention to the kid that falls behind? This isn’t college where the onus is completely on the student and you can have massive class sizes. Something like that for primary education would only serve to degrade an already poor public education system.

While i agree they could go to larger class sizes if online only, 1000 way to many. Teachers would have more time to grade work etc because not interacting wit the kids as much. They could probably double class size and still have the same results. That would still save a bunch of money for the districts.

Schools need to save money right now anyway possible. I know a few business managers and things are not good for a lot of schools right now, especially low income areas. Buying chromebooks for all the kids, making sure internet access is available, etc..

Life's a Hillary
07-24-20, 09:56
While i agree they could go to larger class sizes if online only, 1000 way to many. Teachers would have more time to grade work etc because not interacting wit the kids as much. They could probably double class size and still have the same results. That would still save a bunch of money for the districts.

Schools need to save money right now anyway possible. I know a few business managers and things are not good for a lot of schools right now, especially low income areas. Buying chromebooks for all the kids, making sure internet access is available, etc..

This will probably be controversial around here given the distaste for public education but I think we should be spending more money on education anyway, especially in those low income areas. We waste so much money I. government spending, creating a more educated population is the place I see it creating value. Not only would it help pull more people out of poverty but it would create more people that end up with higher paying jobs which leads to increased tax revenue. With technology moving closer and closer to automation it is imperative that we properly educate people for jobs of the future, not ones that will soon be replaced by a robot/computer.

Business_Casual
07-24-20, 10:13
This will probably be controversial around here given the distaste for public education but I think we should be spending more money on education anyway, especially in those low income areas. We waste so much money I. government spending, creating a more educated population is the place I see it creating value. Not only would it help pull more people out of poverty but it would create more people that end up with higher paying jobs which leads to increased tax revenue. With technology moving closer and closer to automation it is imperative that we properly educate people for jobs of the future, not ones that will soon be replaced by a robot/computer.

So the money we are spending is wasted and abused, so logically we should spend more money?

chadbag
07-24-20, 10:16

Just increase the commie-training and feel good classes? We need to provide for a better educated populace. Throwing more money at a politicized, corrupt, broken system is not the way to do that.

Life's a Hillary
07-24-20, 10:22
Just increase the commie-training and feel good classes? We need to provide for a better educated populace. Throwing more money at a politicized, corrupt, broken system is not the way to do that.

Yep, these are the responses I expected. I must have missed the commie classes when I was too busy taking things like calculus and physics in public high school which adequately prepared me to further my education in public college where I was taught by conservative and libertarian learning economics professors that turned into a high paying job that allows me to buy whatever guns I want.

Nah but you’re right, it’s all commie propaganda. There’s clearly no nuance needed here, all basically KGB run education in the US.

chadbag
07-24-20, 10:22
I may have mentioned this earlier, but my kids' charter school is splitting the classes in 2 -- A and B. A will meet IN SCHOOL on Mondays and Wednesdays and every other Friday. B meets Tuesdays and Thursdays and the opposite Fridays. When it is your day to NOT be in the school building, you are expected to attend the class live, through an online link. The idea is to reduce by half the number of kids in the school building ("social distancing") but still provide interactive and direct teaching. There is also the option, for those whose parents are worried, of 100% online. But unlike the end of this last school year, where they went virtual, and each teacher did it differently, this Fall they will have the regular school schedule and no matter if you are at home or in the school building, you are expected to attend the class "live". We'll see how it works out.

This is a small charter school, run outside the local school districts political reach (but still following state education standards and rules, being a "public school"). We'll see how they work it out and I don't know if a 200 student school, like this, would have an advantage over a 1000 or 1500 student (or bigger) school like many of the other standard public schools. But in this case you would not want to make the teacher/student ratio any higher as the teachers are just as involved with the students -- maybe more so as they have to juggle both in-person and virtual students simultaneously.

chadbag
07-24-20, 10:25
Yep, these are the responses I expected. I must have missed the commie classes when I was too busy taking things like calculus and physics in public high school which adequately prepared me to further my education in public college where I was taught by conservative and libertarian learning economics professors that turned into a high paying job that allows me to buy whatever guns I want.

Nah but you’re right, it’s all commie propaganda. There’s clearly no nuance needed here, all basically KGB run education in the US.

How long ago were you in school?

And while there are very possibly exceptions in schools and/or classes/teachers in schools, policy has to be made to fit the majority, and the majority education ends up with the snowflakes you see out rioting and burning, or marching for whatever cause is put in their heads.

The failure of the education system is the root cause of the issues we have going on right now.

Life's a Hillary
07-24-20, 10:40
How long ago were you in school?

And while there are very possibly exceptions in schools and/or classes/teachers in schools, policy has to be made to fit the majority, and the majority education ends up with the snowflakes you see out rioting and burning, or marching for whatever cause is put in their heads.

The failure of the education system is the root cause of the issues we have going on right now.

You’re right, the education system is a failure and it’s drastically underfunded. We rely on teachers, who don’t make dick in salary, to purchase their own supplies. You think anyone with a strong potential future is going to be a teacher? Absolutely not. Why would someone voluntarily take crap pay and all the BS that goes along with being a teacher when they could make good money with less hassle in the private sector? At least in college I learned from some of the brightest math, science, and economics minds I’ve ever been around because they get compensated much better. We don’t put a priority on education and it shows.

chadbag
07-24-20, 10:48
You’re right, the education system is a failure and it’s drastically underfunded. We rely on teachers, who don’t make dick in salary, to purchase their own supplies. You think anyone with a strong potential future is going to be a teacher? Absolutely not. Why would someone voluntarily take crap pay and all the BS that goes along with being a teacher when they could make good money with less hassle in the private sector? At least in college I learned from some of the brightest math, science, and economics minds I’ve ever been around because they get compensated much better. We don’t put a priority on education and it shows.

Throwing more money at the existing system will not solve the problems you mention. Probably make them worse. You need to fix the system before throwing more money at it.

And I am not sure when you were in HS or what colleges you went to, but many colleges and universities have even worse problems and are turning out useless graduates who can't think themselves out of a bag. Luckily, at the college/university level, really motivated students can get a good education despite a crappy system. And there are a much wider variety of teachers at the college/university level.

Life's a Hillary
07-24-20, 11:30
Throwing more money at the existing system will not solve the problems you mention. Probably make them worse. You need to fix the system before throwing more money at it.

And I am not sure when you were in HS or what colleges you went to, but many colleges and universities have even worse problems and are turning out useless graduates who can't think themselves out of a bag. Luckily, at the college/university level, really motivated students can get a good education despite a crappy system. And there are a much wider variety of teachers at the college/university level.

On this we agree. I don’t just mean to throw more money at the problem, it needs a total overhaul. Hell, you can watch season four of The Wire to see why that’s the case and that’s fictional television. However, I don’t have issues with the original comment I responded to that was about providing disadvantaged kids devices like chrome books and internet access so they can get their work done from home. We aren’t going to overhaul public education anytime soon but helping them those who can’t afford to connect to the basic internet with the ability to do so is a worthwhile cost. Also, it would provide kids with the ability to learn outside of the standard curriculum and motivated students could easily prepare themselves for a career or further education through that alone. Especially when a chrome book can cost less than some of the extremely overpriced text books that are constantly being bought for the “new edition”.

Business_Casual
07-24-20, 12:44
Common Core, anyone?

Diamondback
07-24-20, 13:39
And then there's these charming bits from the sick freaks running academia today...
https://www.redstate.com/sister-toldjah/2020/07/24/commentary-a-word-about-the-death-of-conservative-professor-mike-adams-and-the-lefts-reactions-to-it/

Makes me think I think I should dump the classroom and stick to the museum... more likely to find people who actually WANT to learn something there.