PDA

View Full Version : Spare AR Storage in House

grizzlyblake
07-17-20, 08:09
I have a spare BCM that I would like to squirrel away in the house. Ideally I would like to kit it with 20 Aluminum mags and 1k XM193. My house is on a poured concrete basement, half of which is finished and the other half is unfinished and used for storage. I would like to put this stuff in the storage side of the basement.

Is it safe to store the rifle and mags in a humid basement environment? If so, what prep (oil, etc.) should be done to the gun, and should it be stored in an airtight container or in a fabric case?

I understand the brass ammo is more prone to issues in the humidity, but is there a safe way to store a case of Federal XM193 in a basement environment?

Red*Lion
07-17-20, 08:28
Hard case with silica packets. I have most of my firearms and ammo kept in my basement without any problems.

robbins290
07-17-20, 09:30
I agree with Red Lion, look up DRY/DRY packets on amazon. I recharge mine every 6 moths. They been working for years. I have a set up with ammo and gear in a huge ammo can. Never had a issue. Not a spot on rust and i even vacuum sealed the ammo with a couple packets in there with the loaded mags.

markm
07-17-20, 11:31
Ammo cans with good (not cracked) lid gaskets for the ammo.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-17-20, 14:01
Ammo cans with good (not cracked) lid gaskets for the ammo.

This. Costco had brand new ammo cans, a small one and a large, for $20 for the pair a few years ago. I bought three pairs. They all passed my unscientific submersion test of putting them in a cooler and leaving it submerged for a couple hours.

GH41
07-17-20, 17:12
I would have to ask how accessible it will be while stored?? If easy to get to I wouldn't do anything more than wet everything steel down with a quality CLP like Break-free and check it every 6 months. I wouldn't worry about the magazines. Ammo.. I would buy it in battle packs most of the European manufacturers sell it in. 200 rounds in a sealed heavy vinyl pack with handles.

markm
07-17-20, 17:42
This. Costco had brand new ammo cans, a small one and a large, for $20 for the pair a few years ago. I bought three pairs. They all passed my unscientific submersion test of putting them in a cooler and leaving it submerged for a couple hours.

We got some of those. I could just tell they were excellent, spec cans.

flenna
07-17-20, 20:07
Might be a good idea to keep them out of sight in case Punch Drunk Joe gets elected as he wants all AR's and "high capacity" magazines to be declared NFA items. Registration and $200 tax per magazine and rifle.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/07/17/washpost-joe-bidens-gun-control-terrible-for-working-class-firearm-owners/

ubet
07-17-20, 22:30
Might be a good idea to keep them out of sight in case Punch Drunk Joe gets elected as he wants all AR's and "high capacity" magazines to be declared NFA items. Registration and $200 tax per magazine and rifle.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/07/17/washpost-joe-bidens-gun-control-terrible-for-working-class-firearm-owners/

Gawd I pray that idiot doesn't get elected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slater
07-18-20, 09:30
You could always go old school and pack it in Cosmolene. Effective but a bit messy and takes a while to clean off :D

RHINOWSO
07-18-20, 10:40
You really need to ID the reason you are doing this. Is it a contingency for theft, fire, confiscation? Other reasons could be accessibility to a firearm if you can't get to your primary safe.

Going about it as your are, I only see anti-theft as a reason that fits your current tact.

There are numerous ways to accomplish these very different goals, but I think it's important that you ID what you are trying to do first, so you can do it right and not figure out that your actions didn't accomplish what you real goals are

Averageman
07-18-20, 12:44
A couple of years ago while doing kitchen upgrades, I got granite counter tops and new tile back splash.
During the process I discovered due to the kitchen lay out being as it is, there are three square yards of dead space behind the wall that separates the kitchen and the foyer/hall way.
A small door now leads from a lower kitchen cabinet to that dead space. No hinge, it just pulls out with the lid from and old frying pan.

Stickman
07-18-20, 22:29
If you don’t have hidden doors or false walls, they are things to consider for a variety of reasons, and those reasons have nothing to do with legality of items.

grizzlyblake
07-19-20, 07:35
You really need to ID the reason you are doing this. Is it a contingency for theft, fire, confiscation? Other reasons could be accessibility to a firearm if you can't get to your primary safe.

Going about it as your are, I only see anti-theft as a reason that fits your current tact.

There are numerous ways to accomplish these very different goals, but I think it's important that you ID what you are trying to do first, so you can do it right and not figure out that your actions didn't accomplish what you real goals are

Yes, theft primarily.

I don't have a safe. I only have two ARs and two G19s.

One G19 is with me all day, the other is home in a spot where my stay-at-home-mom wife can access it.

Both ARs sit on a shelf in the master walk-in closet. All cases of ammo and mags are stacked on the closet floor.

The idea was to get one kitted and put away where it wouldn't be an easy target for a burglary.

We live in a small single entrance subdivision in a rural area and I have never heard of a home invasion/burglary my whole time here, but of course it's always a possibility. Next door neighbor is a cop who works night shift with a stay-at-home-mom wife, across the street are nosy retirees who are home full time. House is on a corner lot.

I've looked at small safes, particularly the SecureIt quick access two-rifle locker, but they're relatively slow to open and the lock mechanism is noisy. I don't really like it but maybe it's the best option, especially considering I have a two year old son and one month old son.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product/fast-box-model-47-vertical-bundle/

AndyLate
07-19-20, 08:27
If you don’t have hidden doors or false walls, they are things to consider for a variety of reasons, and those reasons have nothing to do with legality of items.

I have never agreed with you more.

OP - unless you are burying the rifle or building an enclosed space into the home with no access, simply oiling the metal and monthly inspection is adequate. ARs are pretty corrosion resistant. Ammo will outlast you by simply storing in ammo cans with silica gel packs, as long as the storage area is cool. Remove cardboard packaging and wear gloves to pack the ammo.

Andy

brummetk
07-19-20, 08:32
... I don't have a safe. I only have two ARs and two G19s.
... The idea was to get one [AR] kitted and put away where it wouldn't be an easy target for a burglary.

Are you "handy"? Find a corner in the unfinished basement, and build a closet out of cinder blocks, with a steel-framed, key-locking, steel door. Put a key nearby, high enough that the boys won't find it anytime soon. You could even fill the cinder blocks with concrete and angle-iron, but be aware that the ceiling would be a weak spot. Won't stop a pro, but should keep opportunistic burglars and the kids out.

Skyviking
07-19-20, 13:09
You wilt never be able to hide guns from kids or burglars except through dumb luck. Buy a good safe and keep your firearms there. When your children start asking you about guns, educate them. Whenever they ask to see your guns, show them and educate them about The Four Rules, dangers and Responsibilities of gun ownership/handling. Take them shooting when they get old enough (about 6 is the right age). This eliminates the “Forbidden Mystery” and curiosity factors and they will eventually become “gun proof”. My son (8 at the time) was at a friend’s house when his buddy showed him his Dad’s loaded Glock 19. Kid had no clue. My son took the gun, cleared it, put it back where it was, and told his friend to go tell his mom that “we found a gun while we were playing and maybe you should put it up...’. Dad later called me and said it had been loaded and thanked me for teaching my son and wanted me to teach him and his family.

DG23
07-19-20, 13:27
Yes, theft primarily.

I don't have a safe. I only have two ARs and two G19s.

Have not used my clothes dryer to dry clothes in years since I started hanging stuff up to dry.

If I was not into line drying or did plan to use one frequently I would buy a good one and stick it out in the garage someplace.

Fairly confident that if anybody was to break into my home they are NOT going to look there first.

Hopefully, if I ever do get broken into, the thief is smart enough to shut the door behind himself on his way out. If the girls get outside I cant see a thief being able to run far.

https://i.imgur.com/DxKKXJh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3wQlXk3.jpg

Dog on right may not look it but is right at 100lbs of 'get off my lawn'.

DG23
07-19-20, 13:31
When your children start asking you about guns, educate them. Whenever they ask to see your guns, show them and educate them about The Four Rules, dangers and Responsibilities of gun ownership/handling. Take them shooting when they get old enough (about 6 is the right age). This eliminates the “Forbidden Mystery” and curiosity factors and they will eventually become “gun proof”.

Excellent post and very much agree with the part above.

Icedaddy56
07-19-20, 13:51
Keep it simple. Put in a dehumidifier for the guns. Either a room or safe. Ammo cans with moisture absorbers.

ddbtoth
07-19-20, 14:29
Gawd I pray that idiot doesn't get elected.

These are strange times. Who the hell knows what these morons think they can get away with. That’s the real danger. People will get lit up, on all sides.

MStarmer
07-19-20, 15:21
If you only have a couple things maybe something like this would work. You can place it in a corner of the closet and bolt down to the floor and walls. I have real gun safes but I use one of these upstairs for quick access stuff. It's not going to stop anyone determined but they'll have to work a little for it. The owner of the company preaches "decentralized storage". They may get something but not all.
https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product/fast-box-model-47-vertical-bundle/

GHMann
07-24-20, 09:30
I have vacuum sealed an entire rifle using a Weston vacuum sealer and 12" wide food saver rolls. It's an old 1892 Winchester lever action, but should work for an AR. It also works well for ammo. That would provide total protection from humidity and corrosion.

AndyLate
07-24-20, 14:58
I have vacuum sealed an entire rifle using a Weston vacuum sealer and 12" wide food saver rolls. It's an old 1892 Winchester lever action, but should work for an AR. It also works well for ammo. That would provide total protection from humidity and corrosion.

It really is better to include oxygen absorber and silica packs inside the packaging.

Andy

1_click_off
07-25-20, 08:42

Did you wrap it in foam padding first? I would be concerned the stock would come out with a new checkering pattern in the finish from those bags. If it is the reinforced bags I am thinking of, or even creases in the bag for that matter it may imprint on the wood.

themonk
07-25-20, 08:56
I'm late to the party but if you haven't purchased anything yet - As stated above a newish ammo can with good seals for ammo and mags. For the rifle a anti-corrosion bag and you should be good to go.

Z-CORR bags got bought out by Bluguard who makes them now (https://www.bluguardvci.com/anti-corrosion-bags). Their bags work perfectly in my testing. I have used a bunch with no issues. My brother used one for a 1960 blued 870 in a nasty damp basement with no issues. I used a velcro one for a rifle that sat in the rafters of an outdoor shed for 3 years in hot and humid VA. Pulled it out and it was perfect. I would assume the vacuum seal one may be better but the velcro ones work just fine and are easy to seal / reseal.

JoshNC
07-25-20, 16:14
Is it an earthen floor or concrete? I would at a minimum put it where there is a concrete floor. Put a dehumidifier in the space that drains to the outside. The inexpensive ones made for a small room will work fine. A safe would be advisable, but at a minimum get a lockable cabinet. Put a lightbulb into the safe or cabinet to keep the space a few degrees warmer than the ambient temp. This keeps condensation from forming on the contents of the safe/cabinet by raising the temp above the dew point. Purchase VCI capsules off amazon, place one or two inside. These electrochemically prevent corrosion from forming in ferrous metals. And finally, you can buy some Evadry rechargeable desiccant dehumidifiers to place inside. I did exactly this in a former house with a partially finished basement. It works very well and is simple.

I strongly recommend buying a safe.

AndyLate
07-25-20, 19:05
Did you wrap it in foam padding first? I would be concerned the stock would come out with a new checkering pattern in the finish from those bags. If it is the reinforced bags I am thinking of, or even creases in the bag for that matter it may imprint on the wood.

It's been my experience that foam rubber breaks down way too easy to vacuum pack it with something I care about. I also don't believe you can pull enough vacuum with a home kit to damage hardwood.

Andy

JoshNC
07-26-20, 10:03
Unless you’re burying things or storing things in unforgiving locations, vacuum sealing seems way overboard. If one did vacuum seal, be sure to put some vci capsules inside. Short of full on doomsday prep burying things, just keep it simple.

BuzzinSATX
07-26-20, 10:19
Regardless what your solution, if you are going to not mess with the gun for a while and it’s in a damp environment, this stuff is made for long term storage and works pretty well:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/rust-prevention/rust-preventive-no-2--prod1124.aspx

Not a single solution. Spray it down and store it in a silicone sock or dry bag.

nick84
07-28-20, 19:33
A safe is probably the way to go, even if you're pretty sure your collection isn't expanding. A gun safe isn't quite as theft proof as most people think they are, but properly secured to a floor, especially in a corner or closet, and they will suffice. Sure, it's not anonymous or disguised like a false wall or something, but it's offers you some flexibility as well as built in room for dehumidifier and lights.