PDA

View Full Version : let's talk .22 handguns! P22 vs ruger MK vs Sig mosquito....

skyugo
11-27-08, 12:47
i was dead set on a walther p22 due to its centerfire style operation and appearance...
seems ruger MK's are pretty close to the same price point and generally regarded as much better quality...

what do you guys shoot when you want to do it on the cheap? I think i my get a .22 conversion kit for my g19 at some point, but right now i'd like to own a complete second handgun.

Robb Jensen
11-27-08, 12:54
If you're going to shoot more than 1K rounds of .22 through per year through it I HIGHLY recommend a Ruger or Browning.

skyugo
11-27-08, 13:08
If you're going to shoot more than 1K rounds of .22 through per year through it I HIGHLY recommend a Ruger or Browning.

i've put 1300 somethign rounds through my 9 in a month. so i'm guessing a brick a week of .22 isn't out of the question.. :D

in this political climate i'm thinking there's not much point in buying any sub-par firearms...

Robb Jensen
11-27-08, 13:11
i've put 1300 somethign rounds through my 9 in a month. so i'm guessing a brick a week of .22 isn't out of the question.. :D

in this political climate i'm thinking there's not much point in buying any sub-par firearms...

I have 18K+ rounds through my Ruger 22/45 and 6K rounds through a MKIII 22/45 w/TacSol upper.

skyugo
11-27-08, 13:24
I have 18K+ rounds through my Ruger 22/45 and 6K rounds through a MKIII 22/45 w/TacSol upper.

very nice...
those guns are just as customizable as the ruger 10/22 as well. i do enjoy my 10/22. :D

seems like the general internet consensus is that the buckmark is very nice too, but the ruger is a bit easier (no tools) to field strip once you get the hang of it, and also will probably last longer. the MKIII has a mag safety and some other extra crap right? i'm kinda looking for a MKI or II online right now...

Alpha Sierra
11-27-08, 13:27
Smith & Wesson Model 18

NoBody
11-27-08, 13:37
Deleted.

skyugo
11-27-08, 13:45
My son has a Walther P22 and loves it (including the laser). It's more accurate than he is and has never had any problem with any of the 22LR he feeds it. Personally, I don't care for all of the safeties or it's takedown. But like I said, it accurate and reliable....plus it fits his young hands. FYI: He has about 2,000 rounds fired.

Never used the Ruger, but I had offered to buy it for my son. He chose the P22 over the Ruger because it fit his smaller hands, lighter weight, had a laser, and looked "modern." Ah, kids... ;)

my friend back in NY has a P22. we used to run BRICKS through that thing once all the 223 and 9mm was used up :D
they're defintely cool. the volume of shooting i intend to do though, i feel like i'll be happier with a ruger. I've heard of some of the P22's running into problems after 5-6k rounds. i guess a lot of it's fixed, but the MK's are an old proven design. I may still buy a p22, but i'm thinking ruger first.

NoBody
11-27-08, 13:52
Deleted.

skyugo
11-27-08, 14:29
Personally, I would have bought the Ruger since it fits an adults have and is built like a Noveske...oops, I mean a tank. The P22 is way too small for my hands, but I don't think either is a bad choice. But my boy love that P22!

yeah that little p22 would be a great way to get your kids shooting a handgun. being so light it's got a little bit of recoil to it as well, great way to get accustomed to the feel of shooting a 9mm or 40 automatic later on.

WallaS
11-27-08, 14:50
I had a Ruger MkII Government model and found it to be an excellent gun, but a bit on the heavy side of anything but range work. Currently I have a Beretta Bobcat and a Glock G22 conversion. Both are a lot of fun to shoot. The G22 conversion is great fun and helps in practice cost.

No.6
11-27-08, 15:19
Is SIG still having problems with the Mosquito?

AwaySooner
11-27-08, 15:25
I have the new P22, have quite a few problems with it, I use CCI Mini-mag and it'll failed to fed on the last round after 200rds or so. It's a PITA to take it apart to clean and put it together. You need a little stick to press the slide spring in order to assemble. It's cheaply made as well, my slide is all worn with bare metal exposing inside the rail after few hundred rounds. I initially thought that I want a DA/SA gun for practice because that's what I carry, but turns out the P22 does not have a decocker, you need to turn on the safety, press the trigger and release the hammer in order to put it back to DA with a loaded gun, not practical at all if you want to practice DA for say a hundred times. I'll be happy to get rid of my POS.

Dave L.
11-27-08, 15:52
I have a P22 and I run it hard. I love it. I shot a Opossum with it at 70 yards on the 3rd shot- I laughed my ass off.

The reason I bought it is to get my girlfriend into guns. She loved it, now she wants a Glock, and I still love to shoot the P22.

exitinyourhead
11-27-08, 16:06
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/exitinyourhead/Firearms/BB-3.jpg

I have about 2k through this with few hickups (a handfull of failure to ejects early on that were probably ammo related.) It's accurate but VERY heavy. I wouldn't recommend it for teaching children how to shoot due to the weight. The grip angle is comfortable. I had to get that top rail machined in order to accept the Picatinny Burris mount. The rail is no where near Picatinny spec in regaurd to distance between cross grooves or the width,depth,shape of them (i bought it because i was told it was.) It was a 40 dollar fix at the machine shop and then a little paint but something to keep in mind.

Northwoods
11-27-08, 23:10
I have a browning buckmark (camper), it is very nice and i havent had any problems with it at all.

Olav
11-27-08, 23:24
I like the S&W Model 41. I've got about 5K rounds through it.

I like to shoot the small water bottles at 100 yards with it.

It's rock solid.

Don Robison
11-27-08, 23:36
Another vote for the Ruger MkII. I've got one I bought in 1985 with 5.5" bull barrel. It has gotten 5-6 bricks of whatever ammo is on sale every year since I bought it. It just keeps chugging along. I've used it for rabbit and squirrel hunting in MI and WA state, and it always goes along for a "camp gun" you just can't have much more fun and still keep your clothes. If I needed another .22 and couldn't find a MkII my next choice would be a Browning Buckmark.

Honu
11-28-08, 15:03
I will get a ruger most likely to replace my old 22 pistols

I wish I kept my old high standard military trophy that thing was amazing

chadbag
11-28-08, 15:52
i was dead set on a walther p22 due to its centerfire style operation and appearance...
seems ruger MK's are pretty close to the same price point and generally regarded as much better quality...

what do you guys shoot when you want to do it on the cheap? I think i my get a .22 conversion kit for my g19 at some point, but right now i'd like to own a complete second handgun.

I want a walther with suppressor but if you can only have one I would probably get the Ruger. Solid and well built, good value, and a larger aftermarket parts scene as well.

I have a Ruger Mk2 22/45 blued bull barrel. Really nice and fun. I don't shoot it a lot but I should. I just don't get out enough (self employed and all that)

lindertw
11-28-08, 18:39
I've got a Ruger MKIII 22/45 w/5.5" bull barrel and I like it a lot. It can be tweaked to your hearts content and it's built like a tank.

My daughter started shooting with me this summer and she's sort of taken it over. I was close to getting her a Tac-Sol upper for it as the bull barrel is kind of heavy, but she's getting very good shooting it standing/unsupported. I think I'll put the $ I would've spent on the Tac-Sol and get us a 10/22 :cool:

trukreltrog
11-28-08, 19:47
If your only going to get one, buy the Ruger or Browning. I don't think the Mosquito and P22 are tough enough for the long haul, but they are a lot of fun to shoot.
I like the feel of the Mosquito, except for the double action trigger pull. But I don't think they are made out of the best materials.
The Mosquito is pretty quite suppressed though. You could always get both. :D
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/trukreltrog/DSCI0259.jpg

Paul45
11-28-08, 20:04
I have all 3 mentioned plus a number of others. The P22 is a different TYPE of gun than the Ruger or the Browning. It is small, light, easy to carry. The Browning and Ruger are bigger, heavier, etc. They serve different rolls. They question is what do you call high volume shooting and what are you going to shoot? They are like tools - each has a purpose. You can do the same things with all of them but each is better at different tasks. .22's are great guns. You NEED more than one. As a minimum, you should get one of each type of action, - single shot - revolver single action, revolver double action - semi-auto single action, semi-auto double action, smei-auto D/A only - the you can get different frame sizes, etc. There is no such thing as a single best .22 - you need at least 10 to 15 to really have some fun. THEY ARE ALL GOOD!

skyugo
11-28-08, 21:39
I have all 3 mentioned plus a number of others. The P22 is a different TYPE of gun than the Ruger or the Browning. It is small, light, easy to carry. The Browning and Ruger are bigger, heavier, etc. They serve different rolls. They question is what do you call high volume shooting and what are you going to shoot? They are like tools - each has a purpose. You can do the same things with all of them but each is better at different tasks. .22's are great guns. You NEED more than one. As a minimum, you should get one of each type of action, - single shot - revolver single action, revolver double action - semi-auto single action, semi-auto double action, smei-auto D/A only - the you can get different frame sizes, etc. There is no such thing as a single best .22 - you need at least 10 to 15 to really have some fun. THEY ARE ALL GOOD!

see.. this is why no matter how much money i make i'm still broke. ;)

1_click_off
11-29-08, 17:49
I have a Ruger MkII stainless, several K rounds through it. Only issue is it does not like Remington ammo. No slam on Remington, the gun just doesn't like it...... The green lube they put on it makes it get sticky, start to get a build up after 2 or 3 clips and FTF. Feed it almost anything else and it performs like a rockstar........Super accurate, fun, and can shoot all day dirt cheap. BTW I have had it since around 88 and still shoots perfect......

skyugo
11-29-08, 22:47
I have a Ruger MkII stainless, several K rounds through it. Only issue is it does not like Remington ammo. No slam on Remington, the gun just doesn't like it...... The green lube they put on it makes it get sticky, start to get a build up after 2 or 3 clips and FTF. Feed it almost anything else and it performs like a rockstar........Super accurate, fun, and can shoot all day dirt cheap. BTW I have had it since around 88 and still shoots perfect......

i haven't found many 22's that like remington honestly. i try to avoid buying it. :o

i'm big on federal and CCI.

Northwoods
11-30-08, 10:20
My buckmark:

http://newnorth.net/~Lklncr/temp/buckmark.jpg

Northwoods
11-30-08, 10:21
i haven't found many 22's that like remington honestly. i try to avoid buying it. :o

i'm big on federal and CCI.

My remington 522 viper jammed all the time on thundercats lol

I found the best bang for the buck to be winchester 500 paks:)

austinN4
11-30-08, 10:48
Love my Buck Mark Practical URX - it is way more accurate than I am capable of. http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=448

ra2bach
12-01-08, 14:04
my primary .22 pistol is a High Standard Supermatic Citation that has well over 100K rds. through it and is still amazingly accurate. Its a fantastic pistol and I love the way it shoots, how easy it is to disassemble for cleaning, etc. but I'm afraid its beginning to show its age. My shooting friend calls it "gun crack", meaning shooting it is addicting.

I recently fired my friend's Browning Buckmark and a Ruger .22/45 side by side and I prefer the Browning for its magazine release. It also has a very nice trigger that is more similar to the M&P that I have than the Ruger.

Cohibra45
12-01-08, 14:23
Curious...why nobody mentioned the Colt Woodsman???

When I turned 16, my father took me to the local gunshop for my first pistol. The owner showed me three different 22s; a Ruger, a Browning Buckmark, and the Colt Woodsman target. The Ruger was $79, the Browning was $85 and the Colt was $100. I told my dad that I really like the Colt, but I guess I will have to get the Browning as it was $15 less. The owner spoke up and said that the Colt was actually on sale for 15% off and that was the deal!!!!!!!:D:D:D I also got an original Colt holster for the Woodsman for the out the door price of $100!!!:cool: As you can see, that was a while ago and I still have that Colt (with box and holster). It shoots great. I can (or could back in the day) shoot 10 shots in a Quarter size group at 50' indoor range. I use to use it for squirrel hunting...head shots only!!!

Take care and you can still find great deals on the Colts on GunBroker.com. They are considered collectibles, so you can buy one, shoot the heck out of it and still get your money back if you decide to sell it later.;)

uscbigdawg
12-01-08, 14:41
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00572.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/uscbigdawg/DSC00570.jpg

Here's my 22. STI lower and Tactical Solutions upper. "10 round" magazines and all. They are awesome. Machined mag bodies from aluminum and go bang with pretty much everything. Brazos trigger job and I ordered with the rail and sights combo. For the rail, I have a C-More Railway to get it close to my Open gun.

Rich

No.6
12-02-08, 11:04
Rich,
Man am I glad you posted that picture of your 2011/2211 conversion! Don't know why I didn't think of that before. I was looking at getting a SIG Mosquito with a suppressor, but not any more.

drsal
12-02-08, 11:45
Is SIG still having problems with the Mosquito?

The mosquito is as the name implies, a useless annoyance. If you want a good paperweigh get the sig. I went through THREE of them. I followed sig's recs on lube, ammo, etc , they are worthless jamming pieces of garbage and the manufacturers molds for these should be destroyed. A totally useless pos gun.