PDA

View Full Version : 223/556 Ammo Shortage. Can You Buy Ammo Where You Live?

Dr. Bullseye
07-20-20, 13:10
In California there has been no 223/556 ammo for a month. There may be some steel out there but it is even rare. My gun store tells me it is everywhere. They say it may be a year until this ammo returns. I check in Arizona and they have no ammo either. Dipping into my stockpile is something I do not want to do for practice. What is the situation where you live?

MountainRaven
07-20-20, 13:14
The halflife of 9mm and 223/5.56mm (and most other service weapon-type ammunition, including buckshot and slugs for shotguns) on the shelf is extremely short, here.

It can be found. It tends to be more expensive than usual (prices pushing back up to what they were 6-7 years ago). But you have to show up within a couple of days of it being put on the shelf. And that's with purchase limits put in place by the stores.

Circle_10
07-20-20, 13:21
I almost never buy .223/5.56 in stores, so I dunno what the shelves look like but I’m guessing the local shops are pretty cleaned out.
The online retailers I use are pretty cleaned out, and when stuff does come into stock the price is high.

Same situation with 9mm.

I’ve severely curtailed my rifle shooting as a result but don’t have the luxury of being able to do that with handgun. I’m really trying to get better and stay better with a pistol and in order to do that I need to shoot regularly, like *at least* 50-100 rounds per week.

TBAR_94
07-20-20, 13:33
I've had a tough time finding bulk ammo near me, whereas 6 months ago I could find XM193 and M855 bulk cans everywhere. A lot of the smaller shops have ammo, but it's 50rd boxes and if you don't show up early you have to wait in line.

Biggy
07-20-20, 13:51
Ammo prices are going up in my area and not much out there in the way of 9mm, 5.56 and .223 either.

Colt Carson
07-20-20, 14:11
At my LGS they told me I could either buy one 20 round box, or one 1,000 round case. I didn’t need ammunition though.

Eurodriver
07-20-20, 14:16
Ammo was incredibly cheap and plentiful for all of 2018 and 2019.

Who needs ammo now and why?

markm
07-20-20, 14:27

Ammo and Clips!! I only get 'em in panic buys!

07-20-20, 14:42
At my LGS they told me I could either buy one 20 round box, or one 1,000 round case. I didn’t need ammunition though.

Yeah, last time I went to a store, thats what they told me. So I bought a case of XM193 for like $330, which is silly.

We’re reloading with bulk powder and I have a stash that can be best described as “deep”, but it won’t last forever. I still grab a little here and there.

Circle_10
07-20-20, 15:09

I’m mostly buying range ammo to avoid having to dip into my reserves these days

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-20-20, 15:18
I haven't bought ammo in a brick and mortar store for a long time. Ammo has been cheap and plentiful online for a long time. Unless a person is new to shooting, there is no reason to be caught with your pants down.

In the future, order it in cases, stack it deep, and ride these panic waves out like a boss.

The_War_Wagon
07-20-20, 15:19
Two (2) 820rd. cans of M855 on stripper clips at the local Dunham's Sporting Goods last week.

$499 EACH. :eek:

They had, maybe, 200rds. of Tula (don't shoot it - didn't check the price), and one (1) box of Hornady V-Max 50gr. @... $25.99!

The dedicated gunshops (Dunham's has a gunshop - pistols & long arms both)... have NONE! :eek:

Makes me glad I'm sitting on my stash already!

MountainRaven
07-20-20, 15:23

Need is a strong word. I have plenty. I just wish I had plenty more.

Alex V
07-20-20, 15:26
I would say look online but being in Cali you would need to go through an FFL. Otherwise there are still some "okay" prices online. Im good to go for a while since prices were good running up to this, but still, if I see something that's not insanely overpriced, Ill grab it.

AndyLate
07-20-20, 15:28
I don't "need" ammo but I cannot shoot for months without re-supply or reloading.

Last time I looked, there is a little 5.56/223 locally, but prices are way up.

It's just time for me to crank up the press.

Andy

Beat Trash
07-20-20, 15:55
I’m good to go. But I was curious so I went to three of the larger stores in my area over the weekend. No 5.56 in stock. No 9mm FMJ. No 12 ga OO Buck.

ACE31
07-20-20, 16:25
Local stores are sold out or have very small inventories with a one box per customer limit. Folks things won't settle down till after January 2021. If you did not buy cheap and stack deep by now, you are royally screwed.

RHINOWSO
07-20-20, 16:34
It's definitely a 'weird' rush on weapons and ammo, but not things like magazines.

This points me to lots of new buyers who only think of weapons and ammo, but not so much to all the other things you need.

I have plenty but still placed some significant backorders, as I imagine it will be some time before any can be had easily.

Dr. Bullseye
07-20-20, 16:39

Well, nobody ever accused me of being smart.

magister
07-20-20, 17:24
I haven't bought ammo in a brick and mortar store for a long time. Ammo has been cheap and plentiful online for a long time. Unless a person is new to shooting, there is no reason to be caught with your pants down.

In the future, order it in cases, stack it deep, and ride these panic waves out like a boss.

This. My rule for the past few years is to buy monthly and when I shoot the rule is to replace what I shot by double the amount fired. It’d be nice if there was no shortage, but I’m in good shape.

markm
07-20-20, 18:18
Well, nobody ever accused me of being smart.

In fairness. After EVERY one of the last 4 or 5 panics, I made the assumption that time it would never happen again. Retarded liberalism has sold so astounding amounts of guns an ammo.

Diamondback
07-20-20, 18:37
Around here Where Moss Grows Between Ears As Well As On Trees, all I'm seeing where anybody has anything is crappy "Brown Box Guy" no-name 55gr .223 reloads, crappy commercial 55gr .223's, occasionally some PMC and various M193's--for some reason gunshoptards around here think M855 is "the good stuff." *snort*

a9862
07-20-20, 19:05
I’ve just accepted that ammo won’t be cheap, so my expectations aren’t returning to what the costs use to be. If bulk brass case 55 grain .223 is costing 38 cents per round, so be it. Expensive ammo is better than no ammo, but I’ll admit in fortunate enough financial situation to say that.

The_War_Wagon
07-20-20, 19:13
I have plenty but still placed some significant backorders, as I imagine it will be some time before any can be had easily.

Surfing ammo sites on June 30, I noticed stuff drying up quickly, I found a couple of decent deals (nowhere NEAR .28/rd. Wolf Gold of late last year, but affordable, at least) - 1,000rds of Privi M193 for $417 delivered, so I ordered it. Surfing over to GA Arms, I saw they had a thousand rds. of 62gr. reloads for $404 delivered, so I ordered that!

NEXT morning - both sites were EMPTY. Now it took 8 days to get my Privi (AIM is JUST across the state line from PA - I usually get it in TWO days from them); it took 18 days to get my GA Arms ammo - last time I bought from them, it was 4 days, as I recall.

Nonetheless, I got 2k MORE ammo, than I had three weeks ago, at a nominally decent price. I doubt I'll get THIS good a deal again until AFTER the first of the year - if Trump WINS!

hotrodder636
07-20-20, 19:14

He’s right you know... ^^^

That said, nothing wrong with picking more to add to the stash here and there.

DG23
07-20-20, 19:28
In California there has been no 223/556 ammo for a month. There may be some steel out there but it is even rare. My gun store tells me it is everywhere. They say it may be a year until this ammo returns. I check in Arizona and they have no ammo either. Dipping into my stockpile is something I do not want to do for practice. What is the situation where you live?

Last trip I made to Sportsmans Warehouse near me I had much more than they did so left it for someone else to buy. :)

Have enough factory ammo + reloading supplies / components to last for several years for everything I shoot.

R0CKETMAN
07-20-20, 19:43
“Today’s panic buying” is a different animal than years past. Civil unrest, pandemic, and a gun grabbing democratic nominee has created the perfect storm.

Your best bet would be to ship to neighboring state and drive. Prolly .45-.50 cents I’m thinking.

markm
07-20-20, 20:06
Civil unrest, pandemic

These two are massively over propagandized. Civil unrest? Ok... a little pocket here and there in shithole left leaning areas. But ABSOLUTELY not the case for 99% of the rest of the country.

And the Pandemic would be better classified as a NONdemic. We have 140k cases in AZ. 100k of which are (conservatively estimating) FAKE ass false positives. Political positives, and Hospital cash in positives to get the government payouts.

Anyway... back on the topic of ammo panic.

Caduceus
07-20-20, 20:43

Some of us have sig others that limit how much we can stockpile.

I'm good on 223 and 22, decent on the rest.

grizzman
07-20-20, 20:57
Disregard.

taliv
07-20-20, 21:13
i'm kinda surprised 22lr is so easy to come by these days. pretty much the opposite of last banic.

i'm in pretty good shape, but i'd like a LOT more of course.

about the only problem i have is while I have a ridiculous amount of 9mm components, it was all bought for pistols and is 115g blasting ammo or expensive factory SD ammo (mostly hornady critical duty). but... i recently fell in love with a suppressed 9mm cz scorpion and now i need 147g, which i bought 12000 of today lol but still.

i found a local store that had a bunch of cool 7.62x39 guns. a super cool bren from cz and galil pistols, and a couple AKs, but since they're rounds i've never shot and i figured i had little chance of finding cheap russian surplus ammo in stock anywhere, i passed

militarymoron
07-20-20, 22:14
I always thought that a 'stockpile' or 'stash' amount should be enough to support training/plinking/range trips for a while before it reaches uncomfortably low 'reserve' levels. Just out of curiosity, and hypothetically if ammo supplies dried up, what would be the bare minimum amount of ammo you would keep, and not dip into for anything other than an emergency? That answer is going to be different for everyone, I'm guessing. I'd feel very uncomfortable if I had less than 5k each of .223 and 9mm to last through the apocalypse. That's a pretty low number by many standards.

taliv
07-20-20, 22:58
I always thought that a 'stockpile' or 'stash' amount should be enough to support training/plinking/range trips for a while before it reaches uncomfortably low 'reserve' levels. Just out of curiosity, and hypothetically if ammo supplies dried up, what would be the bare minimum amount of ammo you would keep, and not dip into for anything other than an emergency? That answer is going to be different for everyone, I'm guessing. I'd feel very uncomfortable if I had less than 5k each of .223 and 9mm to last through the apocalypse. That's a pretty low number by many standards.

when it comes to bare minimum for emergencies only, i'd say about 1000. that's 10 mags of 30 in each of 3 different locations. plus a few to check zero

maybe more, if you're the sort who is going to pass out ammo to every neighbor and relative who show up when the shooting starts asking to borrow a gun

seems like a stack of 5k in one spot might be good for barter if we go cashless, but it seems highly unlikely you could shoot that many in an apocalypse unless no one is shooting back.

VIP3R 237
07-20-20, 23:01
Locally i can’t find .22lr, 9mm is available but nothing under $10 a box. 5.56 is hard to find but .223 is plentiful.

Glenn54
07-20-20, 23:44
I found 300 rounds of 556 brass for $170.09 about a week ago. Local FFL.

Alpha-17
07-21-20, 07:54
Ammo is available if scarce. Best places locally to buy are not the big box stores, but small local shops, who still have it in spades.

ST911
07-21-20, 08:19
There's a difference between not being able to find ammo, and not being able to find the ammo you want and/or at the price you want. If you're out or nearly so, there are options online and scattered in local retailers to maintain some subsistence. I just checked several online vendors and found various quantities of several popular calibers. There is no excuse to have nothing.

3ACR_Scout
07-21-20, 09:53

The Army has moved us four times in the last four years - TX to VA to PA to MI. It's no fun moving thousands of rounds of ammo cross country, since the movers can't ship it. I've had to limit myself to a few thousand rounds each of 5.56 and 9mm, plus a few other calibers. I've been trying to maintain an adequate stock of HD ammo while buying enough for a year of range use each time I've moved. This past spring, I was looking at ammo prices going up and wanted to order more, but with the impending move, I had hoped that prices wouldn't get too crazy before June. Unfortunately, they've really spiked in the past two months, so I'm stuck with the likelihood of paying about 60% more than I would have back in March. I just ordered a case of 7.62x39, which is at least still around the $.30/round price range after tax and shipping.

robbins290
07-21-20, 10:06

For some of us that shoot a couple thousand rounds a month. Does not take long to deplete the stock pile. I am close to half of what i had a year ago. and not knowing how long it will last.

TonyAngel
07-21-20, 11:07
Until just recently, I’ve been doing well just hitting the Academy stores. I travel a radius of about 150 miles for work so I hit the stores when i can.

Until two weeks ago, I was getting brass 5.56/.223 for about .34 a round, steel monarch for .25 a round and brass 124gr 9mm for .19 a round.

It is dry now and their online prices are reflecting an increase.

R0CKETMAN
07-21-20, 13:56
There's a difference between not being able to find ammo, and not being able to find the ammo you want and/or at the price you want. If you're out or nearly so, there are options online and scattered in local retailers to maintain some subsistence. I just checked several online vendors and found various quantities of several popular calibers. There is no excuse to have nothing.

You do know the OPs in Cali right?

ST911
07-21-20, 14:49
You do know the OPs in Cali right?

Wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but resourceful friends in Cali do advise that what I wrote is still true for them.

nightchief
07-21-20, 16:43

Folks who do a lot of shooting?

ColtSeavers
07-21-20, 19:41
Yes, I can buy ammo for about anything I shoot where I live.

However, it is ammo that I am not particularly fond of at prices I am equally not particularly fond of.

R0CKETMAN
07-21-20, 20:19
Wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but resourceful friends in Cali do advise that what I wrote is still true for them.

Yeah having to go through an FFL for online ammo is crazy.

Gtorq21
07-23-20, 08:17
Do you guys think this is a phase or the new standard in pricing

3ACR_Scout
07-23-20, 08:42
I think it all depends on what happens in November. After Sandy Hook in December 2012, prices shot up and availability plummeted because of the proposed assault weapons ban. The ammo prices now look identical to what I remember from the summer of 2013, which I think was also the time period when there was talk about banning M855 as "armor piercing" ammo. The difference that someone else mentioned was that .22 LR was completely sold out everywhere, which hasn't been the case this time around (probably because people see more of a personal security threat these days). If I recall correctly, it took at least a year for prices to return back to some semblance of normalcy (e.g. 5.56 at about $.30 / round). I don't think prices on some calibers have really returned back to pre-2013 prices, such as 7.62x39 - I think there was a lot more surplus ammo available prior to that panic, but I'm not too knowledgeable about AK pricing.

With the current political situation and the impending election, I think it's unlikely that ammo prices will return back to last year's level in the next year, if ever (depending on what happens this fall).

JediGuy
07-23-20, 08:51
It all depends on November.
Realistically, companies will use this as an opportunity to increase their pricing, and it will not generally go all the way back down to where it was over the past year.
However, if there is no threat of a ban (ie, Republicans retain control at least one house of Congress) but not the presidency, it will stay high. If Republicans retail the presidency and one house, the prices will fall quickly, with $0.32 becoming the new average good price for 5.56/.223 FMJ and anything $.30 or less being exceptionally good prices.
I’m just guessing.

Mercs
07-23-20, 09:05
Ammo producers are eyeing 9mm and 223/556 as the main sources of profit, so they have ramped up production and will be manufacturing those by the boatload for some time. Sure you will pay more, but can still find it available. 22LR and some other calibers however, once gone, they will not be back in any sufficient quantity for a looooong time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
07-23-20, 10:24
Folks who do a lot of shooting?

Lol

Nobody here shoots their guns.

They just post pics and discuss meaningless specs

robbins290
07-23-20, 11:13
Euro, i noticed that also,

07-23-20, 11:17
Lol

If I knew how to post a pic, I’d try to contest that....

vicious_cb
07-23-20, 12:53
Lol

Exactly, I dont even own guns. Im just here for the lolz.;)

Big brother is always watching.

R0CKETMAN
07-23-20, 13:00

This will last longer than the “Obama” periods. Many new gun owners compounded by some feeling like for the first time they themselves are their first line of defense.

Lol

My “neighbors” would take exception to that comment[emoji23][emoji2325]

Zane1844
07-23-20, 13:04
SGammo has Wolf Gold for $476 shipped.

I've decided to stop shooting as much and not buy 5.56 until the panic slows. I just got into 6.5CM so I'll mainly be shooting that since prices seem almost normal and supply is plentiful, and since I go through a lot less of it.

ACE31
07-23-20, 15:53
It all depends on November.
Realistically, companies will use this as an opportunity to increase their pricing, and it will not generally go all the way back down to where it was over the past year.
However, if there is no threat of a ban (ie, Republicans retain control at least one house of Congress) but not the presidency, it will stay high. If Republicans retail the presidency and one house, the prices will fall quickly, with $0.32 becoming the new average good price for 5.56/.223 FMJ and anything $.30 or less being exceptionally good prices.
I’m just guessing.

^^Totally agree^^

RHINOWSO
07-23-20, 18:45
The Army has moved us four times in the last four years - TX to VA to PA to MI. It's no fun moving thousands of rounds of ammo cross country, since the movers can't ship it....
Comeon man, all I hear are lots of excuses. ;)

Penske Rental Trucks and partial DITY moves FTW!!!! :D :D :D

VIP3R 237
07-23-20, 22:46

New standard. We’ve been lucky to not see an increase in ammo cost for a few years but now the cost of materials across the board is up. It might go down slightly but I’d wager that we will never see sub .30/rd new brass case 5.56 again

Arik
07-24-20, 00:05
I stop going to stores when panic start. I have no interest in trying to find parking, standing in lines, being crammed in with everyone looking for the same thing and now with C19 there are lines out the door people having to wait outside for hours. No thanks. I'll look online and if I don't see what I want at the price I'm willing to pay I'll just wait longer.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

GHMann
07-24-20, 09:52
After the Sandy Hook "Ban everything" shortage, I stocked up and kept it at a comfortable level. Now I'm sitting here with all this ammo, but am loathe to shoot it. What if a democrat wins the White House and I'm unable to replace it? Or they require a background check for every purchase? Or they tax it at 50%? Things like that keep going through my head. I haven't been to the range since June.

AndyLate
07-24-20, 10:12
I'm waiting for some useful idiot in Washington to draft a law restricting monthly purchases to prevent ammo shortages.

ubet
07-24-20, 14:42
I'm waiting for some useful idiot in Washington to draft a law restricting monthly purchases to prevent and ammo shortages

Stop saying shit like that. It might give them ideas

spence
07-25-20, 00:07
I don't shoot much rifle, but the recent events convinced me to buy an AR kit, so I started watching rifle ammo. Picked up a couple half cases of M855 local at .42/round. SG had M193 for about the same and grabbed a half case of it at the same price. Most of it, when you find it, is around .50/round.

I do shoot a lot of pistol. I don't even bother looking online as I won't pay those prices. Occasionally the farm store or Academy will have some 9, and prices aren't horrid, but only a couple boxes can be purchased. The smaller local stores have been the best luck, prices are steadily rising, but still significantly cheaper than online. They haven't had the limits, so it's not a huge deal to buy half a case. .25-.28 cents a round out the door has been about it.

I've got the ammo I'll work out of for now, and that with which I'll avoid dipping into unless it gets really bad. As of now, I'll pay that .25-.28, but if it goes much higher might have to reconsider how much shooting I'm doing.

ViniVidivici
07-25-20, 01:16
I'm waiting for some useful idiot in Washington to draft a law restricting monthly purchases to prevent ammo shortages.

Hey now, the retards-that-be in our beloved WA already have enough bad ideas!

Circle_10
07-25-20, 05:42
I guess my big mistake was shooting so much .223/5.56 when I should have just been stockpiling it. Particularly since the fall of 2017 since I’ve been able to hit the range pretty much weekly I’ve been going through a ton of .223/5.56 - possibly like 15k of it- because I was tired of being a lousy shooter. Only in like May of this year did I finally start to put the brakes on things due to what was going on with the ammo situation. This past Wednesday was the first time I’d fired an AR in a month, I took one of my 20” iron-sighted guns to the range and put 100 rounds of Federal .223 through it.

So unfortunately as a result of my shooting habits I don’t have the reserves that I’d like. On the plus side I’m a much better shooter than I once was. (I was also like 60lbs heavier pre-2017 so I was a bad shot and a doughy piece of shit. Not a good combo)

I’ve been logging a ton of involuntary OT at my job of late so I have considered biting the bullet (har har) and just paying inflated prices for 2- or 3k of M193, when I can get it, just to build my stocks up a bit. Generally I refuse to massively overpay for ammo but a year from now I can envision myself wishing I had the extra munitions and regretting that I didn’t get more when, even with the high prices, it was at least financially feasible for me to do so.
I loathe my job with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns, but the extra cash makes me more willing to jump at things that I want/need even if I have to pay a bit more.

flenna
07-25-20, 07:16
I guess my big mistake was shooting so much .223/5.56 when I should have just been stockpiling it.

That’s what happened to me. With my range being 75 yards from my back door I was shooting a lot more than I was buying. I still have a decent supply but am not shooting near as much as I have been.

ViniVidivici
07-25-20, 10:50
Yeah I've slowed down a little too due to the shortages.

We always have that magic number, an amount we won't go under, no matter what.

Mercs
07-25-20, 12:51
Boy I’m sure glad I have a few nice 7.62x39 rifles

RHINOWSO
07-25-20, 13:16
Stop saying shit like that. It might give them ideas
Your head is in the sand if you don't think they've already thought of that.

Circle_10
07-25-20, 14:11

I have a bunch of AKs, in both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39, but at this point AKs are little more than range toys I go and blast with a few times a year when I feel like slumming.
When I shoulder one to shoot half the time my thumb instinctively tries to flick a safety off.

Straight Shooter
07-25-20, 15:47
Your head is in the sand if you don't think they've already thought of that.

Right. Those mothers have ideas WE aint even thought of yet. Theyve planned this for 50 years. Or more.

R0CKETMAN
07-26-20, 06:22

Yep reminds me I need to add a RDS to an AK and run it more.

RHINOWSO
07-26-20, 10:28
Right. Those mothers have ideas WE aint even thought of yet. Theyve planned this for 50 years. Or more.
Ammo Tax per round, ammunition purchase limitations, ammo storage requirements, arsenal / weapons taxes... all have been mentioned before and all will be mentioned again.

Colt Carson
07-26-20, 12:20
Don’t forget to have adequate spare parts on hand also. I remember after Sandy Hook I couldn’t even find something simple like a spare firing pin.

ColtSeavers
07-26-20, 12:31
Don’t forget to have adequate spare parts on hand also. I remember after Sandy Hook I couldn’t even find something simple like a spare firing pin.

Been keeping an eye on parts because my BIL wants to clone one of my builds, and decided to do so now instead of about a month or so ago. Parts are going at a good pace now. People are also figuring out they need magazines as well.

AndyLate
07-26-20, 14:16
Been keeping an eye on parts because my BIL wants to clone one of my builds, and decided to do so now instead of about a month or so ago. Parts are going at a good pace now. People are also figuring out they need magazines as well.

I'm stunned mags are still plentiful.

I went to the outdoor/public range today. There were fewer ARs than I remember seeing in 10 years.

ColtSeavers
07-26-20, 18:14
I'm stunned mags are still plentiful.

I went to the outdoor/public range today. There were fewer ARs than I remember seeing in 10 years.

Mags here don't last too long, about a day, two max as people check daily on the way to or home from work.

I don't judge what people truly own based on what I see at ranges as out here, there's plenty of outdoor space to uze as a range and I can tell you exactly what you'll see for guns based on what official range you go to. People tend to segregate themselves.

AndyLate
07-26-20, 20:32
Mags here don't last too long, about a day, two max as people check daily on the way to or home from work.

I don't judge what people truly own based on what I see at ranges as out here, there's plenty of outdoor space to uze as a range and I can tell you exactly what you'll see for guns based on what official range you go to. People tend to segregate themselves.

I use this range a lot and there are a lot less people shooting ARs because ammo is pretty thin here, not because they don't own them.

Granted, it's also ridiculously humid/hot this weekend.

Andy

czgunner
07-26-20, 22:21
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but having a .22 LR conversion is a great training tool.
No ammo to speak of up in the liberal PNW where Portland and Seattle are “burning”.

Zane1844
07-26-20, 23:49
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but having a .22 LR conversion is a great training tool.
No ammo to speak of up in the liberal PNW where Portland and Seattle are “burning”.

It's our "Summer of Love." The leadership of this state is completely insane.

I was talking to a friend saying how, this time next year, shooting might just be a memory.

TonyAngel
07-27-20, 17:32
With ammo availability in 5.56/.223 and 9mm being what it is, I've ordered the parts to build an upper in 7.62x39. I've done most of my shopping at Academy because they haven't inflated their prices like everyone else has. The last couple of times I went in, they had very little, if any, 5.56 and 9mm, but had quite a bit of 7.62 and loads of shotgun ammo. I'm also still seeing 7.62 online for around .25 a round. That's half the cost of 5.56.

I'm gonna quit running through my stock pile and start practicing with 7.62.

czgunner
07-27-20, 17:56
Yeah, good time to dust off my VZ-58.

Boss Hogg
07-29-20, 09:27
Let's say you bought 5.56 and 9mm at 2018-2019 prices.....like M193 for 24 cents a round and 115 grain for 14 cents. Awesome. But......you actually shoot and aren't a neckbeard profiteer.

You now have the following choices:
1) Sit on your stash and really work on that dryfire. Yawn.
2) Keep up on your normal training and go through your stash, and pay current market pricing to replenish your stash
3) Sell some of the ammo at a gain and hope prices come back down

It's not a great situation for people who actually shoot.

JediGuy
07-29-20, 09:36
It's not a great situation for people who actually shoot.

This is about it.

I’ve got enough for very limited 9mm practice and moderately regular 5.56/.223 practice with one carbine class. So will have to pay current prices or dip into emergency reserve. Will not do the latter.

3ACR_Scout
07-29-20, 09:48
I would say that there's another option which is also unpleasant:

4) Continue training, perhaps with reduced frequency, depleting your stash and hoping that you can hold out on replenishing until prices come back down.

The past two years have been pretty busy for me, so I haven't gotten to shoot as often as I'd like anyway, but for the past few months, I've also been conscious of the fact that as I'm shooting, I'm depleting ammo that will be much more expensive to replace.

Comeon man, all I hear are lots of excuses. ;)

Penske Rental Trucks and partial DITY moves FTW!!!! :D :D :D
Ha! I actually towed a small U-Haul on this move, the first time I've done that, because I was concerned about us hitting our weight limit, needed to move the "gear" that I've accumulated in the last couple years (buying more while having less opportunities to use it), and I wanted to minimize what personal items the movers handled during these strange times.

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the trailer again on our next move - we ended up waiting two weeks for our HHG to be delivered, despite requesting and being ready for a door-to-door. I also have a better idea of how much I can tow in a U-Haul, so I'll be able to move a larger stash next time.

Esq.
07-30-20, 09:06
I had pistol and carbine classes in June. I went to the ammo locker and pulled out the next cans for use as I had shot up the last cans of each in preparation for the class. The 9mm was Winchester White Box. Purchased at Walmart, 2004, $7/50. The 5.56 was IMI .223, purchased 2005, $4.25/20.

Each year I purchase an entire years worth of practice and class ammo. When it's cheap, I buy more. Right now, based on the tags on the most recent pulls, I have 15 years, minimum worth of full power ammo for practices and classes. If I supplement that with reloading and .22 practice I'm sure I can stretch it 20 years. I'll be in my 70's then. My goal was essentially a lifetime supply, I'm a little light but we'll see what happens.....My life may end up much shorter than anticipated....

DG23
07-30-20, 20:21
Right now, based on the tags on the most recent pulls, I have 15 years, minimum worth of full power ammo for practices and classes. If I supplement that with reloading and .22 practice I'm sure I can stretch it 20 years.

I like your style! Go big or go home!

While I cant claim to be anywhere near as well supplied as you are I know for a fact that I have enough factory fodder laid back to ruin more than a couple of rifle barrels before running out of ammo.

This last year when the black friday sales were everywhere - I laid in spare barrels. LOL! :)

Mercs
07-30-20, 20:26
I thought we had another few years of cheap gear and ammo ahead of us. I get so nostalgic already just thinking about how they couldn’t give the stuff away, just as recent as last Christmas

R0CKETMAN
07-31-20, 05:19
Recoilweb’s recent article on the topic. Nothing new except for the “hoarding Ammo like toilet paper” psychological comparison.

Sounds like the perfect storm

https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the-ammo-gone-162059.html?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-recoilmagazine&utm_content=later-8967820&utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagram

Tx_Aggie
07-31-20, 08:38
I had pistol and carbine classes in June. I went to the ammo locker and pulled out the next cans for use as I had shot up the last cans of each in preparation for the class. The 9mm was Winchester White Box. Purchased at Walmart, 2004, $7/50. The 5.56 was IMI .223, purchased 2005, $4.25/20.

Each year I purchase an entire years worth of practice and class ammo. When it's cheap, I buy more. Right now, based on the tags on the most recent pulls, I have 15 years, minimum worth of full power ammo for practices and classes. If I supplement that with reloading and .22 practice I'm sure I can stretch it 20 years. I'll be in my 70's then. My goal was essentially a lifetime supply, I'm a little light but we'll see what happens.....My life may end up much shorter than anticipated....

How much 9mm and 5.56 do you shoot in a year, between practice and classes?

Mercs
07-31-20, 08:40

Will you be my dad?

Biggy
08-03-20, 22:58
IMHO, the price of 5.56/.223 and 9mm ammo especially, will gradually go up between now and Nov. 3rd. If Trump were to loose, and I do not think he will, the price of 5.56/.223 and 9mm especially will probably go through the roof and rival prices after Sandy Hook and Newtown. If Trump wins prices will gradually go down, but it could very well take close to a year before we would see pre- COVID and George Floyd prices again, if ever. After Trump in 2024, who knows.

TonyAngel
08-04-20, 12:02
I ran into an Academy in Denham Springs LA yesterday. Small town. They had loads of barnaul steel cased ammo. Got 1k each of .223 for .27 a round and 7.62x39 for .25 a round. .223 was in spam cans. 124gr blazer brass 9mm was 10.99 a box.

judgecrater
08-04-20, 16:18

Well exactly. A year ago I recommended to my friends, "Buy lots of guns and ammo now, it will never be cheaper. An election is coming and you know what that means." Some listened, some did not.

stephen48
08-04-20, 16:54
No ammo any where in Michigan. It's been gone since March. The price is doubled in cost. Reload powder and primers are scarce also. Are there middle men hoarding ammo for a better price?

Terp
08-04-20, 17:29
To be honest, I am glad blue-states are completely out of ammo. I hope they never get another box of it.

Diamondback
08-04-20, 17:40
To be honest, I am glad blue-states are completely out of ammo. I hope they never get another box of it.

All it takes is one overpopulated city to ruin your state's entire day... carve out Everett to Olympia and Portland to Eugene along the I-5 Corridor, and WA and OR instantly flip Red.

But you do you, and after the Brain Eating Zombies overrun our defenses and come at you next don't expect me to shed any tears for you either.

biker70
08-04-20, 17:59
It took time but I kept looking and was able to get 5.56 and 9mm online from Lucky Gunner I was also at the LGS yesterday and noticed they had both 5.56 and some 9mm here in Georgia my supply is good to go for now.

Terp
08-04-20, 18:53
All it takes is one overpopulated city to ruin your state's entire day... carve out Everett to Olympia and Portland to Eugene along the I-5 Corridor, and WA and OR instantly flip Red.

But you do you, and after the Brain Eating Zombies overrun our defenses and come at you next don't expect me to shed any tears for you either.

Your blue-state ilk can have all those hellholes you named in the land of fruits and nuts. In fact, run the Great Wall of America north and south rather than east and west and wall all those blue-state commies out. Hell, sell Kaliforniastan to the Russians and we're still better off without them.

Voodoochild
08-04-20, 19:52
Could have sworn this was a thread about ammo not bitching at each other!!

R0CKETMAN
08-04-20, 20:06
Could have sworn this was a thread about ammo not bitching at each other!!

Back on “bitching about ammo” topic..

Crackheads in GA be like .75 plus shipping[emoji23]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200805/432e48c3d07d382d5e71792b67b5eff9.plist

Evel Baldgui
08-04-20, 20:07
All I'm able to see online from various sources is wolf 9mm for $400/ 1k case for practice, and 9mm 'defense ammo' from some manufactures at .95/rd. Also, $1.00 per rd of 5.56/.223 is average from what I've noted on ammoseek.

FlaDon
08-04-20, 21:15

Everyone needs ammo now if they keep using what they have. But if you didn't stock up when you could, well that was just poor planning.

Frank_white
08-04-20, 21:48
Last 2 shows I went to in Eastern Pa were PMC $425 a case of 223 $450 a case of 556 on July 18 then on July 25 it went up to $525 and $550 same sellers.

9mm went from $350 a case to $425 for pmc 124gr between both weekends. It’s freaking nuts! People
were buying it. There was a lot of self defense 9mm Ammo but for .80cents to $1 a round for 147gr hst’s or ranger t series

Local shops limiting to one box of 9mm 115gr PPU for $22 and one box of 20 pmc xtac 62gr for a dollar a round.

opngrnd
08-04-20, 22:01
I can buy 5.56 most places I go right now. Not so much with 9mm.

blade_68
08-04-20, 23:33
A few hours ago I seen no pistol ammo in Academy near me, match 223/5.56 and 308 was all and out of 22LR again. I'm good for now myself on ammo heck I have 250 rnds of fmj 9mm setting next to me. And a few loaded magazines of 5.56 under bed🤔 actually I don't even know how much I have. Last year I did think about buying "the can (35-36 k) "of 5.56 but didn't have a way to move it or store it. I have started clearing off my reloading bench to get back to work at reloading. Thinking of a new progressive press for 223 /5.56 to save some time. All I have buying lately is 30 carbine and 350 legend. Heck I thought about building a storage building for ammo storage.

FlaDon
08-05-20, 06:55
A few hours ago I seen no pistol ammo in Academy near me, match 223/5.56 and 308 was all and out of 22LR again. I'm good for now myself on ammo heck I have 250 rnds of fmj 9mm setting next to me. And a few loaded magazines of 5.56 under bed�� actually I don't even know how much I have. Last year I did think about buying "the can (35-36 k) "of 5.56 but didn't have a way to move it or store it. I have started clearing off my reloading bench to get back to work at reloading. Thinking of a new progressive press for 223 /5.56 to save some time. All I have buying lately is 30 carbine and 350 legend. Heck I thought about building a storage building for ammo storage.

The only one that I'm a little light on is the .32-20WCF. It is sometimes hard to find even when things aren't like currently as Winchester only seems to produce it once a year. .30-06, well there is over 500 rounds of it at my feet in the living room. And half of it is AP and the other half is in bandoleers and clips ready to drop in. The rifle for it sits at my knee and is as old as I am. Barrel in it was even made the same month as I was born.

tanksoldier
08-05-20, 13:25
My department is having a tough time finding training ammo.

We have enough for several training sessions, but practice is to buy as we use it otherwise we'll eventually run out.

Manufacturer has told our ammo guy it will be at least 3 months before they can fill our order.

Pappabear
08-05-20, 14:52
I buy ammo and reloading supplies year round except when panic makes it insane. And I buy more than I shoot.

PB

rcoe
08-07-20, 09:11
Shops here are still getting both ammo and reloading supplies in, just need to catch them at the right time.

Milspec78
08-07-20, 11:36
I haven’t bought any loaded ammo in about 5 years,been reloading.it is quite laborious (only 5.56 case prep),but rewarding and I can load decent quality 62gr 5.56 for 17 cents a piece.
Don’t play their game,learn to do it yourself!!!

Pappabear
08-07-20, 12:45
I haven’t bought any loaded ammo in about 5 years,been reloading.it is quite laborious (only 5.56 case prep),but rewarding and I can load decent quality 62gr 5.56 for 17 cents a piece.
Don’t play their game,learn to do it yourself!!!

We don’t even load ball 55 grain shit anymore with those 62 gr BTHP bullets so cheap. And we can fly those out to 750 easy peezy. And if we want to slap steel up close, so be it.

PB

Gallo Pazzesco
08-07-20, 14:21
We went to PSA yesterday, their main store in Columbia, SC, just to see what they had in stock. Line out the door as usual, in the middle of a weekday, and they had no ammo. Has very few carbines. Plenty of bolties. A decent selection of handguns but not as many as usual.

No ammo. No personal defense, no target ammo, no nothing except the usual hunting caliber boltie stuff like .270, 25-06, .240, etc.

We're already stocked up and loaded for whatever because I started prepping heavily back in the 90s after the AWB was passed and I've been obsessed with it every since. Plus I reload like a mad man (as everyone who has seen the pics of my reloading room will attest-to) ... but yesterday was a shocker. It's far more dire than it was when Obango was elected.

What was really an eye opener for my brother, son and I were the number of blacks standing in line and buying firearms yesterday. We'd never seen it like that before but my youngest Son, who recently turned 21 and bought his first handgun and already has his CWP tells me, every time he has been there looking for ammo since the Floyd thing went down ... he said he's seeing a lot of blacks every time he goes.

A lot of the blacks I saw appeared to be fine upstanding citizens ... several were wearing MAGA hats and t shirts. But there were some thug types there as well ... pants down around their asses in wife beaters and definitely not very social; I guess that's the way to put it. Heavy loud vulgarities, ebonics, grab assing, trying to intimidate with looks, etc.

Anyways, it's an observational perspective that several others noticed as well.

Thing is ... buy all the guns you want -- there's no ammo to be had. It's sketchy at best.

R0CKETMAN
08-07-20, 19:34
What was really an eye opener for my brother, son and I were the number of blacks standing in line and buying firearms yesterday. We'd never seen it like that before but my youngest Son, who recently turned 21 and bought his first handgun and already has his CWP tells me, every time he has been there looking for ammo since the Floyd thing went down ... he said he's seeing a lot of blacks every time he goes.

A lot of the blacks I saw appeared to be fine upstanding citizens ... several were wearing MAGA hats and t shirts. But there were some thug types there as well ... pants down around their asses in wife beaters and definitely not very social; I guess that's the way to put it. Heavy loud vulgarities, ebonics, grab assing, trying to intimidate with looks, etc.

Anyways, it's an observational perspective that several others noticed as well.

Quite the myopic observation

ColtSeavers
08-07-20, 20:04

Wtf...

AndyLate
08-07-20, 20:17

Except it's really not. Perhaps not the most politically correct way to refer to our melanin blessed neighbors, but the observation is solid. A ton of people with a range of skin colors who don't fit the mold of the normal gun store customer are arming themselves.

We should be concerned what it means for our country - folks on both sides of the political spectrum are panicking because they feel our society's collapse is emminent.

Andy

Gallo Pazzesco
08-07-20, 20:19
Whereas your observation, obviously, is one dictated by political correctness, dishonesty, hypocrisy and mendacity. Your mere use of the words "myopic observation" would suggest that only your mind is smaller that your dick.

What you attempted to do with your standard libprog cuck one liner reply was project your marxist socialist sensibilities, lay some kind of white guilt trip, which I am absolutely immune-to but more than willing to engage with when it comes to SJWs such as you. I related an actual observational fact. I have zero animus towards anyone except white guilt cucks such as yourself.

Your signature tells even more about you. Bones heal? I've broken 17 of them in my time, many at Bragg, a few in Vicenza, a few in construction, maybe a couple in sports. The only bones you've broken is some dude breaking his boner off up in your ponderosa with you moaning for more. Chicks (you spelled it wrong) dig scars? I've had almost 400 stitches ... almost half of those to my face. But you're right, they absolutely do dig them - it's been like a recipe for scoring patooty in my experience. Ducks on a pond. Especially when my buddies are sitting around telling the girls how I got them. Whereas you have none except those self inflicted by yourself during your manic depressive episodes when your momma forgot to give you your drugs for a couple of days.

Pain goes away? This one exposes you for the fricking poser that you are.

You've never suffered real pain boy. Otherwise you would know that it only gets worse the older you get, especially when the barometric pressure drops and storms roll in. And keep ****ing with people and one day you'll run across the wrong person and he'll show you what true pain is all about .... boy.

So, by all means, play your word games.

tanksoldier
08-07-20, 21:15

Just the opposite.

Voodoochild
08-07-20, 21:37
This is a discussion about ammo availability not bitching at each other. I know it's 2020 and people have gone crazy but that's no excuse to not act like adults. Take your bitching and moaning to PM.

3ACR_Scout
08-12-20, 09:54
No ammo any where in Michigan. It's been gone since March. The price is doubled in cost. Reload powder and primers are scarce also. Are there middle men hoarding ammo for a better price?
I just moved to Michigan and haven't explored much yet, but I stopped by the closest Dunham's Sports a couple times just to check things out ammo-wise. When I was living in PA, they ran some pretty good sales that brought prices down to a competitive level, and certainly good enough for the convenience of stopping by the store on the way home to grab a few boxes. It was just kind of interesting at the one here in Michigan, they had just received an ammo shipment that morning that was still sitting on a big pallet in the sporting goods section. It had dozens of cases of 12 ga shells, including some (either Federal or Winchester) that were labeled as "defensive" rounds. There was a single empty cardboard box sitting on top of the stack of 12 ga ammo that was labeled as holding four 100-round boxes of American Eagle .223 FMJ. I guess that's all they got in that shipment - 400 rounds of .223 - unless someone had snatched up a whole case or two. One thing that I thought was interesting is that I haven't seen any signs in Dunham's limiting how many boxes you can purchase. They have a handful of .22LR, and 7.62x39 pops up in small quantities (seen some 2 out of 3 times I've been by), but the AK stuff is $.50/round. Tons of 12 ga on the shelves and lots of hunting rifle calibers. Some expensive Hornady Critical Defense .45 in stock yesterday.

I also stopped by a local indoor range / training center (CQT) that has quite a few rental guns. Like all rental places (that I've been to), they require that you buy the ammo from them that will be shot in those guns. They told me that since they haven't been able to get ammo, their rental program has essentially shut down, with the exception of some .22LR guns. That was a second order effect of the shortage that I hadn't really thought about.

08-12-20, 19:48
Don’t play their game,learn to do it yourself!!! yeah, we’re loading 62gr for about 18c a pop. Trimming brass sucks though. So tedious.

opngrnd
08-12-20, 20:06
yeah, we’re loading 62gr for about 18c a pop. Trimming brass sucks though. So tedious.

What's the load data for this?

m1a_scoutguy
08-12-20, 20:11
yeah, we’re loading 62gr for about 18c a pop. Trimming brass sucks though. So tedious.

I still hate trimming but this little bugger opens up a whole new world in the trimming brass dept !! And yea,I haven't done the math,but I'm about in the same area with 55grn FMJ bullets. Maybe even less,I have some bullets that I have had forEVER !!! I've loaded about 2K in the last few weeks and didn't even make a dent in my supply of components ! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbgKTXSazUo

08-12-20, 20:52
What's the load data for this?
25.4 grains
WC846
Hornady 62 gr FMJ
CCI 41

opngrnd
08-12-20, 21:46
25.4 grains
WC846
Hornady 62 gr FMJ
CCI 41

Thank you.

9X19mm
08-12-20, 22:13
Went to two of the largest lgs & ranges... both were dry. Just odd ball calibers that no one wants.

Good news is both ranges were empty. Yay me. Had the place almost to myself.

pag23
08-13-20, 19:16
Picked up 200 rounds (most allowed at lgs) of AE xm855FL 62 grain for 95 bucks...

opngrnd
08-13-20, 19:31
Picked up 200 rounds (most allowed at lgs) of AE xm855FL 62 grain for 95 bucks...

That's a steal these days!

I was fortunate to be able to grab 900 bullets and enough powder for them this afternoon. I've been lucky to stay on track lately through decently stocked LGSs and good relationships with them.

08-13-20, 21:31
25.4 grains
WC846
Hornady 62 gr FMJ
CCI 41

Thank you.

You’re welcome. I should have mentioned earlier that this is a bulk surplus powder, so you have to work it up.

ColtSeavers
08-13-20, 23:52
Wolf 5.56 is going to 60 cents a round right now. Dayum...

opngrnd
08-14-20, 00:05
Wolf 5.56 is going to 60 cents a round right now. Dayum...

So at this point, who is making the profit? Wolf? SGammo? A middle man?

ColtSeavers
08-14-20, 00:22
So at this point, who is making the profit? Wolf? SGammo? A middle man?

My understanding is the same people that always have, the raw material providers. As in, the raw materials have gone up in price due to demand, and that dominoes into higher prices all throughout the manufacturing and supply process and ultimately gets burdened on the consumer, which is just how it works.

I mean, no ammunition company is going to continue to manufacture m855 and sell it for $0.20 a round when the components cost them $0.30 a round, as an example.
No one is going to sell m855 for $0.30 a round when their cost to buy it is $0.50, as an example.

VIP3R 237
08-14-20, 00:33
My distributor costs has gone up across the board. IF it was in stock I can’t buy new brass cases 223/556 for under .35 a shot. Primers and powder costs have gone up as well.

My understanding is the same people that always have, the raw material providers. As in, the raw materials have gone up in price due to demand, and that dominoes into higher prices all throughout the manufacturing and supply process and ultimately gets burdened on the consumer, which is just how it works.

I mean, no ammunition company is going to continue to manufacture m855 and sell it for $0.20 a round when the components cost them $0.30 a round, as an example.
No one is going to sell m855 for $0.30 a round when their cost to buy it is $0.50, as an example.

Milspec78
08-22-20, 05:45
Try the “worlds finest trimmer” it really made a difference in my own process time!

08-22-20, 09:12
I still hate trimming but this little bugger opens up a whole new world in the trimming brass dept !! And yea,I haven't done the math,but I'm about in the same area with 55grn FMJ bullets. Maybe even less,I have some bullets that I have had forEVER !!! I've loaded about 2K in the last few weeks and didn't even make a dent in my supply of components ! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbgKTXSazUo

Try the “worlds finest trimmer” it really made a difference in my own process time!

Currently using the Frankfort Arsenal trim and prep center and a Dillon case gauge. It works; I just have a 5.56 brass backlog measured in 5gal buckets.

My buddy has a Dillon trimming thingy on backorder that he feels will help us greatly.

I will bring up those trimmer suggestions to our group today.

Coal Dragger
08-22-20, 13:23
Scored 1K small rifle primers a couple of days ago at a Sportsman’s Warehouse. Ammo for .223 was limited, no 9mm to be had. Most other stuff in stock though.

Coal Dragger
08-22-20, 13:33
Currently using the Frankfort Arsenal trim and prep center and a Dillon case gauge. It works; I just have a 5.56 brass backlog measured in 5gal buckets.

My buddy has a Dillon trimming thingy on backorder that he feels will help us greatly.

I will bring up those trimmer suggestions to our group today.

Dillon RT1500 and a Dillon full length resizing and trimming die is the answer you seek.

Combine this with a stainless steel wet tumbler to knock all trimming flashing off the case on final wash and a neck expander mandrel die that does the same on the inside diameter plus uniforms neck tension.

Set up the RT1500 and size trim die on a progressive press, run a universal decapping die on the same tool head. Bonus if you have a case feeder. The RT1500 will also require a shop vac to be running creating vacuum on the manifold around the top of the size/trim die to remove shaved brass.

Once you get the die adjusted to bump the shoulder to spec with your case gauge, and secure it very very well on the tool head, adjust the cutter to trim the neck to maximum allowable length. This is because expanding the neck with the mandrel will shrink it a smidge.

Once it’s all set up you can laugh maniacally (slight exaggeration) as you chew through brass prep at the rate of 400-500+ pieces of brass per hour.

kyjd75
08-22-20, 18:04
I usually buy my ammo online (SGAmmo.com). That being said, recently I have bought some 5.56, 9mm and .45 ACP at the Kentucky Gun Co. in Bardstown, Ky. They have a nice indoor range, and they have had a lot of ammo available for sale. A little more expensive than online, and quantities are limited to a degree, but not outrageous. Whenever I go there to shoot, I usually buy some ammo on my way out after I have finished shooting.

andre3k
08-23-20, 14:30
My distributor costs has gone up across the board. IF it was in stock I can’t buy new brass cases 223/556 for under .35 a shot. Primers and powder costs have gone up as well.What distributor are you using? That's not what I'm seeing at Crow, Grafs or Zanders. No primers are in stock but the listed prices are about the same as pre-covid prices.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ViniVidivici
08-23-20, 19:15
No doubt. Biggest issue I'm having with components is availability, not overpricing.

I walked into Sportsmans Whorehouse in Puyallup WA the other day, continuing the search.....low and behold a whole row of 1,000 unit boxes of Federal small pistol magnum primers.

Did some cartwheels and left with 2,000.

Went back the next day and got 1,000 more. Boxes were 23.99 ea. Have shot plenty, good as anything else.

Still looking for small rifle. Pays to reload, now more than ever.

opngrnd
08-23-20, 21:21
No doubt. Biggest issue I'm having with components is availability, not overpricing.

I walked into Sportsmans Whorehouse in Puyallup WA the other day, continuing the search.....low and behold a whole row of 1,000 unit boxes of Federal small pistol magnum primers.

Did some cartwheels and left with 2,000.

Went back the next day and got 1,000 more. Boxes were 23.99 ea. Have shot plenty, good as anything else.

Still looking for small rifle. Pays to reload, now more than ever.

What do you use small pistol magnum primers for?

Coal Dragger
08-23-20, 22:57
They’ll light off any small pistol primer case. Dimensions are identical to a regular small pistol primer. Just need to work loads up gradually with the hotter primer.

opngrnd
08-23-20, 23:22
They’ll light off any small pistol primer case. Dimensions are identical to a regular small pistol primer. Just need to work loads up gradually with the hotter primer.

No issues with the harder primer cups failing to seal and etching the "chamber face" of the slide?

Coal Dragger
08-24-20, 00:07
Not in my experience. The primer pockets should be more than tight enough to provide an adequate seal. Etching of the breech face just happens over time and high round count with pretty much any centerfire weapon.

08-24-20, 04:47
We’ve also switched to magnum primers for 9mm. All I can say about them so far is they go bang. If I find anything strange long term, I’ll share that.

opngrnd
08-24-20, 07:47
Not in my experience. The primer pockets should be more than tight enough to provide an adequate seal. Etching of the breech face just happens over time and high round count with pretty much any centerfire weapon.

We’ve also switched to magnum primers for 9mm. All I can say about them so far is they go bang. If I find anything strange long term, I’ll share that.

Good info to know. Now I feel silly for passing them up the last few times I've seen them.

ViniVidivici
08-24-20, 08:33
Yeah, usin' 'em in my staple training loads in 9mm. Same charge and bullet weight, no real difference.

Been usin' 'em interchangeably for years.

Same for rifle. I'm lookin' for small rifle, if I find SR magnum, I'm grabbin' 'em just the same.

sdacbob
08-24-20, 20:33
Want to see some ridicules prices, go to Gunbroker and look up .380 ammo. 50 ROUNDS Federal Premium®.380 HST® TACTICAL 99 Grain JHP Tactical HST
Price $79.99 / 200rds Speer Gold Dot .380acp 90gr GDHP 23606GD Current Bid $306.00