PDA

View Full Version : New DDM4V11 Procedures

a9862
07-20-20, 18:45
Does DD put any lube in their DDM4s before shipping out? I bit the bullet and got a DDM4V11 while it was in stock. This is my first new AR in about 7 years so I’m eager to try it. The internals look like it’s got only a very very slight bit of oil on it (just the bolt, it seems). Not exactly bone dry but not what I call well lubed either.

Is a DDM4 good to go right out of the box without any wipe or oiling? The store told me to not oil or lube it for the first 100 rounds (with decent brass ammo) in order to let the gun break in while dry-ish and also “burn off” the factory grease. Is there any merit to this suggestion? Would there be any undue wear and tear firing a DD right out of the box?

One thing I’ll note is the new DD Grip N Rip charging handle feels pretty gritty and tight, more so than other charging handles that I’ve used.

JulyAZ
07-20-20, 18:51
I would clean it, inspect it, lube it then go wild.

But that’s me, in reality you should be able to run it as is. Still though at least lube it then go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MegademiC
07-20-20, 19:00
Parkerizing is rough and i would not worry about it until a few hundred rounds and about 100 “rackings”. That should smooth it up. I always clean and lube new guns, but nothing “wrong” with firing it out of the box. But you cant blame the manufacture if they put preservative on it, or its dry, and it doesnt run out the box.

TomMcC
07-20-20, 19:03
Gun stores say the whackiest things. I would do the same as JulyAz said. A light cleaning, snake the bore, lube it and shoot it.

R0CKETMAN
07-20-20, 19:46
Lube it like an 80yr old hooker. Solid gun you bought there. You did good.

Colt Carson
07-20-20, 20:29
Does DD put any lube in their DDM4s before shipping out? I bit the bullet and got a DDM4V11 while it was in stock. This is my first new AR in about 7 years so I’m eager to try it. The internals look like it’s got only a very very slight bit of oil on it (just the bolt, it seems). Not exactly bone dry but not what I call well lubed either.

Is a DDM4 good to go right out of the box without any wipe or oiling? The store told me to not oil or lube it for the first 100 rounds (with decent brass ammo) in order to let the gun break in while dry-ish and also “burn off” the factory grease. Is there any merit to this suggestion? Would there be any undue wear and tear firing a DD right out of the box?

One thing I’ll note is the new DD Grip N Rip charging handle feels pretty gritty and tight, more so than other charging handles that I’ve used.
That sounds like crappy advice from the gun store. The barrel could be damaged if fired with enough grease in it. There could also be metal shavings in the gun. I always field strip, wipe down and clean, and lube generously when about to shoot a new gun. Seems to me many new guns are either over-lubed or dry, or both in different spots.

boss_hawg
07-20-20, 20:44
Assume that your local gun store worker doesn't know what the hell they're talking about until proven differently.

If it were my gun, I'd lightly lube the carrier and bolt, charging handle spine, and pull/push a bore snake, Otis ripcord, rod with brush end, etc. down the bore to get any shavings or preservative out of it before the first range trip.

I would be willing to bet DD test fired so that last bit may be unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

grizzman
07-20-20, 20:52
Firing it without lubrication will definitely speed up the wear-in process.

Lube is optional, right?

Seriously........do not trust a single thing that this person tells you.

SiGfever
07-20-20, 21:04
Lube it like an 80yr old hooker. Solid gun you bought there. You did good.

Truer words were never spoken!

a9862
07-20-20, 21:52
Came back from the range after 50 rounds of Fiocchi 55 grain .223, the gun worked just fine without any malfunction. Looks like DDM4 will definitely shoot just fine right out of the box. I’ll field strip and clean before the next range trip but it’s an interesting test, though not surprising since DD is pretty well trusted.

JulyAZ
07-20-20, 21:54
Came back from the range after 50 rounds of Fiocchi 55 grain, the gun worked just fine without issue. Looks like DDM4 will definitely shoot just fine right out of the box. I’ll field strip and clean before the next range trip but it’s an interesting test, though not surprising since DD is pretty well trusted.

Lmao.

Then why ask the question to begin with?

You should’ve went straight from the gun store to the range on thier Advice.

grizzman
07-20-20, 21:59
If you don't keep a bottle of lube in your range bag, now's the time to start.

It doesn't even matter what type it is. If it's intended for guns (or even synthetic motor oil) it will work while adding almost no weight and taking up very little space.

Colt Carson
07-20-20, 22:45
Came back from the range after 50 rounds of Fiocchi 55 grain .223, the gun worked just fine without any malfunction. Looks like DDM4 will definitely shoot just fine right out of the box. I’ll field strip and clean before the next range trip but it’s an interesting test, though not surprising since DD is pretty well trusted.
LOL!!

a9862
07-20-20, 23:15
Lmao.

Then why ask the question to begin with?

You should’ve went straight from the gun store to the range on thier Advice.

Morbidly curious to see if the weapon will run out of the box, because I’ve heard of reports from years back of weapons that wouldn’t run right out of the box. But I won’t be shooting 100 to 200 rounds like the guy suggested.

Anyways, I just stripped and cleaned, but this does show that at least for a DD, shooting right out of the box is fine. I did at least check the bore and barrel to make sure it was unobstructed.

Eazyeach
07-21-20, 08:28
Kill this thread. It’s useless. Just a unique way to say “ I bought a Daniel Defense ,tell me I made a great choice. “

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-21-20, 09:24
Why are you worried about if an ar15 will run dry out of the box? It's not designed to. You have to do your part with proper maintenance and lubrication....