PDA

View Full Version : 1033 Program Rifles

Esq.
07-21-20, 11:38
Are they all A1s or have some A2s been released as well?

dlrflyer
07-24-20, 00:26
There are both in the system.

Stickman
07-24-20, 12:37
Last I knew there were M4s in the system, and that was back 10 years ago or so. It wasn't many, but from time to time they popped up.

Mrgunsngear
07-24-20, 19:52
FWIW https://www.dla.mil/DispositionServices/Offers/Reutilization/LawEnforcement/Weapons.aspx

Esq.
07-25-20, 08:33
Thanks guys. Just idle curiosity....One interesting thing to me is the "no modifications" rule. You can do things that are easily reversible of course like stocks etc....but I remember one of Patrick Sweeneys AR15 books where he was taking a bunch of 1033 A1s and shortening the barrels to 16.5"...That would seem to be a problem...

Circle_10
07-25-20, 09:29
Thanks guys. Just idle curiosity....One interesting thing to me is the "no modifications" rule. You can do things that are easily reversible of course like stocks etc....but I remember one of Patrick Sweeneys AR15 books where he was taking a bunch of 1033 A1s and shortening the barrels to 16.5"...That would seem to be a problem...

Was he actually shortening the A1 barrels or just replacing them with 16” barrels (and if indeed the former, was he opening up the gas ports?) I’m pretty sure swapping out the entire upper receiver group is ok on 1033 guns as well, provided the original upper is retained and can be reattached. Perhaps it’s the same way with just the barrels, provided somebody qualified is doing the modification?

EDIT: upon further reading, yeah I guess removing the barrel and replacing it is ok. Cutting them down is an obvious no-no.

Esq.
07-25-20, 11:59
Was he actually shortening the A1 barrels or just replacing them with 16” barrels (and if indeed the former, was he opening up the gas ports?) I’m pretty sure swapping out the entire upper receiver group is ok on 1033 guns as well, provided the original upper is retained and can be reattached. Perhaps it’s the same way with just the barrels, provided somebody qualified is doing the modification?

EDIT: upon further reading, yeah I guess removing the barrel and replacing it is ok. Cutting them down is an obvious no-no.

He was cutting them down. He made the point specifically that it had no effect on reliability or accuracy--cutting the chrome lining.....

ABNAK
07-25-20, 22:47
I have read that when the M-14's were being pulled out of Anniston for issue as SDM rifles (maybe 15 or so years ago?) that quite a few of the 1033 M-14's were recalled as well.

ST911
07-26-20, 08:56

Was he actually shortening the A1 barrels or just replacing them with 16” barrels (and if indeed the former, was he opening up the gas ports?) I’m pretty sure swapping out the entire upper receiver group is ok on 1033 guns as well, provided the original upper is retained and can be reattached. Perhaps it’s the same way with just the barrels, provided somebody qualified is doing the modification? EDIT: upon further reading, yeah I guess removing the barrel and replacing it is ok. Cutting them down is an obvious no-no.

He was cutting them down. He made the point specifically that it had no effect on reliability or accuracy--cutting the chrome lining.....

Despite regs a bunch of folks did that, with various levels of functionality. Lots of sloppy work chopping barrels and installing adjustable stock groups. Some folks did great work and the guns ran well. Some discussion here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?6920-Cutting-and-re-threading-a-chrome-lined-barrel

Unless you had a lot of guns or needed to pinch pennies, converting LESOs to a more modern configuration is mostly false economy.

scottryan
07-28-20, 09:20
There should be no reason why this program exists.

Sky high local property taxes can pay for LE rifles.

The DOD rifles should be sold to the citizens through the CMP, but of course they can't because they are MGs.

Esq.
07-28-20, 10:19
There should be no reason why this program exists.

Sky high local property taxes can pay for LE rifles.

The DOD rifles should be sold to the citizens through the CMP, but of course they can't because they are MGs.

Machine guns? Hell under recent ATF actions--dismissing several criminal cases, They may not even fit the definition of "receivers" at all!