PDA

View Full Version : LPVO height, lower 1/3 (1.7") vs. 1.93"

a9862
07-24-20, 02:22
I tried the standard 1.54" scope mount, but I returned it since I had to scrunch my neck way too much. I've been looking at taller mounts and the Badger 1.7" mount looked very enticing, but I'm not sure if that will be tall enough compared to a 1.93" especially if I wear a gas mask or during quick 3-gun shooting. On the other hand, I've read reports of 1.93" being uncomfortably tall for some, especially when shooting prone, but also not getting a good cheek weld in general. Unfortunately these mounts are quite expensive, so trying them out is pretty difficult. I'm not a very big person, at 5' 9" with average neck height, so I'm wondering what people's experiences with taller mounts are.

omegajb
07-24-20, 07:55
That's a tough question to answer since everyone is different. You could experiment with a rail riser and see if what height you like before buying an expensive mount.

Something like this might help your decision. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2130306216

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

RKB Armory
07-24-20, 09:42
I agree this is tough to answer for anyone else.

In light of the gas mask requirement, I would think you'll be happier with the 1.93" option. That information comes from my SWAG manual.

omegajb
07-24-20, 10:33
I forgot to address the gas mask.

I feel like if you found a mount that works with the mak, it might not be comfortable shooting without the mask.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JediGuy
07-24-20, 10:37
I don’t mean to be too incredibly snarky, but who buys a LPVO weapon mount specifically to allow for usage while wearing a gas mask?
I get the end of days approach, but... with a LPVO?

That said, I’m intrigued by the 1.7” height. I love the lower 1/3 with RDS, so I’d like to get one of these to see how it works for me.

ap1220
07-24-20, 10:44
One of the considerations I made was what position the majority of my shooting is in. Since the majority is standing or kneeling and not in the prone, I made the switch to the 1.93" mount. I can still shoot in the prone, and to be honest I don't find it all that more difficult. I wouldn't want to do it all day, but it is still a very usable shooting position.
For what it's worth, I'm only 5'7 but I still maintain a pretty good cheek weld.

There are a couple of threads about this topic that have some great information from more well versed in the high mount heights than myself. I've used 1.54", lower 1/3rd and now the 1.93" but so far, I've had no negative impacts shooting yet with one.

Here's one of the links:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?213949-LPVO-and-TALL-Scope-Mount-Options

taliv
07-24-20, 10:53
i'm 6'5" and only had my 1.93" mount with NF1-8 for a month or so, but so far, i'm in love. much more comfortable. no problems in prone.

i can't speak to BUIS, but my peq15 was visible at 1x and annoying me enough that i moved it to the side.

a9862
07-24-20, 21:47
1.7" height is basically the same height as Eotech EXPS height which is 1.75", I think. I think it also depends on the stock used. Maybe a SOPMOD style stock works well with a 1.93", but a skinnier stock like a Magpul SL or regular BCM Gunfighter would make it easier for the cheek to ride a bit lower. I might end up getting a spacer to try out a high mount, because I don't see many 1.93" mounts at the range for me to try out and these mounts are expensive.

07-25-20, 04:47
1.93. Its not like you can cowitness, and 1.93 is a meaningful change if 1.54 isn’t working for you.

Walker_Texasranger
07-27-20, 15:28
I don’t mean to be too incredibly snarky, but who buys a LPVO weapon mount specifically to allow for usage while wearing a gas mask?
I get the end of days approach, but... with a LPVO?

That said, I’m intrigued by the 1.7” height. I love the lower 1/3 with RDS, so I’d like to get one of these to see how it works for me.

The Instagram commandos who are making a living on getting people to buy them with cool marketing.

I personally don’t understand the tall LPVO mounts. Lower 1/3 makes sense with a red dot where you have unlimited eye relieve and FOV but on an LPVO I don’t see how you’ll get a great sight picture with a chin weld. Could just be me but I know most 3 gun guys get their scopes as low as possible.

vicious_cb
07-27-20, 18:51
The Instagram commandos who are making a living on getting people to buy them with cool marketing.

I personally don’t understand the tall LPVO mounts. Lower 1/3 makes sense with a red dot where you have unlimited eye relieve and FOV but on an LPVO I don’t see how you’ll get a great sight picture with a chin weld. Could just be me but I know most 3 gun guys get their scopes as low as possible.

3 gun is not a good comparison of what you should be using for personal defense.

Walker_Texasranger
07-27-20, 19:35
3 gun is not a good comparison of what you should be using for personal defense.

Eh, for some things yea. But for shooting fast and accurate, competition shooting is usually THE benchmark on how to do it right.

07-28-20, 06:50

Even with 1.9” mounts, we’re not talking about chinwelds, and if you are, I would suggest you try one. We’re talking about ~ 0.4” higher than absolute.

GTF425
07-28-20, 07:10
Geissele 1.54" vs LaRue 1.93". Both are 30mm tubes.

As 1168 said- it's far from a chinweld with a 1.93".

https://imgur.com/yolMVR0.jpg

https://imgur.com/ltLgU8C.jpg

Wake27
07-28-20, 09:06
Pretty sure I’ve posted the same exact thing in at least two other threads here but I moved away from 1.93 because it took a little extra time for me to find the proper cheek weld from the prone when on the timer. That may not have been enough by itself but the Badger C1 had the modularity that I wanted and was lighter so pairing that with my preferred height for red dots made sense. The 1.7 is easily the best for me. 1.93 wasn’t bad but 1.54 was terrible. None of this has been in pro mask though and I agree that if a reasonable amount of time will be spent in one behind the gun, I wouldn’t even bother with an LPVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorinInTheWoods
07-28-20, 20:48
I like the idea of 1.7 for scope height. I don’t mind normal 1.50-1.54 heights but it would be nice to not have so much of your LA5 in your field of view. I understand the high mounts if all you do is passive aiming and you wear a mask a lot but I agree a lot of these POG’s turned insta operators tout high mounts but they don’t actually need them and these ass clowns also only shoot paper at under 10 yds. No sense in getting something for a purpose that you do 5% of the time or not even at all. I have limited time with the high mounts but your offset is now more pronounced and sometimes a murder hole or a gap in a barricade could be out of use with these high mounts. 1.93 isn’t crazy high but dudes with 2.04 mounts are definitely crazy. I also would be interested to see what these mounts turn your holds into at distance. Also for passive aiming ****ing put your nod over your non dominant eye and your red dot will merge with the night vision, the VCOG 1-8 works with pvs 31’s aiming passively and that’s a 1.54 height.

vicious_cb
07-29-20, 01:51
Even with 1.9” mounts, we’re not talking about chinwelds, and if you are, I would suggest you try one. We’re talking about ~ 0.4” higher than absolute.

It seems like the people s*it talking 1.94 mounts have no experience with tall mounts. Ive probably been shooting 1.94 RDS's for 8+ years and Ive experienced none of these so called negative effects. 1.54 is all you need if shoot off the bench all day :rolleyes:

titsonritz
07-29-20, 03:00

I would suggest trying one before knocking it. My LPVO sits in a Scalarworks 1.93" mount, it will remain there and I don't have an Instagram account so have no clue what the "commandos" are slinging.

titsonritz
07-29-20, 03:03
It seems like the people s*it talking 1.94 mounts have no experience with tall mounts. Ive probably been shooting 1.94 RDS's for 8+ years and Ive experienced none of these so called negative effects. 1.54 is all you need if shoot off the bench all day :rolleyes:

Exactly right. My SPR (mostly shot prone) has a 1.54" mount, all my other LPVO mounts are 1.93" my RDS mounts are 1/3 co-witness but intend to try 1.93" on my next purchase.

Walker_Texasranger
07-29-20, 06:15
I would suggest trying one before knocking it. My LPVO sits in a Scalarworks 1.93" mount, it will remain there and I don't have an Instagram account so have no clue what the "commandos" are slinging.

Maybe I will. I have a scalarworks 1.57 LPVO Mount and didn’t consider a 1.93 because even with my lower 1/3 T2 Mount I have a pretty loose cheek weld. And then I’ll try them both for a bit and see what I can use better.

taliv
07-29-20, 11:00
fwiw, i believe how you hold the gun has a lot more affect on the cheek/chin weld than the height of the mount

if you use what i'll call a traditional style 1950s bladed stance with the butt in your shoulder pocket, yeah, you will have to tilt your head and then be lucky to get your cheek on it and probably resort to putting your chin on it with a 1.93. if you are accustomed to a CMP/HP style smushed cheek weld where you rest the weight of your head on the stock, then 1.93 will be uncomfortable and impractical

however, the farther you bring the stock inboard to your sternum as modern shooting stances are want to do, the closer your head will be to the gun. and unless you're bill 'the jaw' cowher, your bottom of your head is rounded so as the stock moves in, the tangent of your head gets lower and lower until ultimately the butt is centered directly under your chin. at which point, you can still raise your head to a more natural position and still firmly touch the stock with your chin.

my own position typically has the stock (usually a magpul UBR) beside the jawbone. not on my "chin" exactly, and definitely not up in my cheek like i shoot an A2 service rifle.

CubeWarrior
07-30-20, 19:50
I run the 1.57 Scalarworks with an NX8 -- I'm compressed a bit standing up, but I'm not hunting for the reticle when prone or (gasp) shooting from the bench. I'm running a pistol 14.5" with an SBA3 pistol brace -- if I was shooting with a SOPMOD, I'd definitely rather have the 1.93 height. I'm 6'4".

vicious_cb
07-31-20, 20:15
How in the hell is a 1/3 cowitness a chin weld? With a 1/3 mount my stock weld is just under my cheek bone and Im not exactly Brad Pitt with high cheekbones. With a 1.94 mount my stock weld is above the corner of my mouth. You can literally debunk the bulls*it in 30 seconds.

Walker_Texasranger
07-31-20, 20:27
How in the hell is a 1/3 cowitness a chin weld? With a 1/3 mount my stock weld is just under my cheek bone and Im not exactly Brad Pitt with high cheekbones. With a 1.94 mount my stock weld is above the corner of my mouth. You can literally debunk the bulls*it in 30 seconds.

Sounds like you really like that mouth weld.

vicious_cb
07-31-20, 20:36
Sounds like you really like that mouth weld.

Allows me to slay bodies better, good to go!