PDA

View Full Version : Recommend DIY Security System

prepare
07-25-20, 06:54
Any members in the business and/or user recommendations?

Looking to upgrade; Perimeter security for early warning- motion detection and cameras as well as indoor with user friendly interface.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-25-20, 07:12
I have ARLO2s and they are good for what has happened, not what IS happening. Solar Panels have made the cameras maintenance free for two years and they have saved my ass twice by recording interactions with people on my property, but they are two slow to see what is happening NOW let alone 2-way communicate. It seems to be a common complaint.

Worried the DNC is coming after you for outing Warren as VP? ;)

prepare
07-25-20, 08:08
I have ARLO2s and they are good for what has happened, not what IS happening. Solar Panels have made the cameras maintenance free for two years and they have saved my ass twice by recording interactions with people on my property, but they are two slow to see what is happening NOW let alone 2-way communicate. It seems to be a common complaint.

Worried the DNC is coming after you for outing Warren as VP? ;)

Thanks for the info.
No Just upgrading.

Mozart
07-25-20, 08:41
I run 3 Nest cams and a dozen or so cheap amazon window alarms. Also a sign out front, says surveillance and wireless alarm system active. Oh, and I planted rose bushes under the low-laying windows that someone could climb through without a ladder; good luck getting prickled or spending the time cutting rose bushes before making entry.

Adrenaline_6
07-25-20, 21:19
I cant really recommend you a DIY system. I'm in the business though and those in the business don't deal with DIY stuff. Sorry.

Reliable and more importantly accurate perimeter defense is costly. The thing is, you can do it cheap, but once you start getting frequent false alarms, it will be eventually ignored and just bring frustration and lots of wasted time.

grizzlyblake
07-25-20, 21:44
I’ve been using a simplisafe system at my house for a few years. Zero false alarms. Very simple to set up and totally customizable. It was a few hundred bucks to buy and like $15/mo for the monitoring. No contract and you own the equipment. I don’t have their cameras, just sensors on all the doors, windows, and glass break and smoke detectors. It’s all wireless. Takes maybe an hour to install and activate.

I would highly recommend it. It’s WiFi and cellular backup with battery backup for loss of power.

ColtSeavers
07-25-20, 21:55
Dog(s).

Dachsund, holy shit you'll know when something's on your property.
Beagle if you have stairs.
You're going to want at least one large dog that can actually handle business to go along with either.

Chow Chow is a great all in one package deal, get one or two of those and there'll be nothing living on your property, but it needs a cooler or cold climate.

ETA: Anyone that tells you mastif or cane corso without confirming your dog training ability is wrong.

Rogue556
07-25-20, 22:13
I cant really recommend you a DIY system. I'm in the business though and those in the business don't deal with DIY stuff. Sorry.

Reliable and more importantly accurate perimeter defense is costly. The thing is, you can do it cheap, but once you start getting frequent false alarms, it will be eventually ignored and just bring frustration and lots of wasted time.Would you consider a hard wired system more reliable or less prone to outside attacks compared to the typical wifi setups most are running these days?

I've been wanting to setup something for our home. We have a tough time with reliable internet as it is, so some of the internet based features are of little importance for me. I'm also trying to figure out how we'd get a reliable feed from our drive entrance to the house (which is about 200m away). The only way I figure we could do that is bury a line and run it along side the road leading to our house, but I admittedly know nothing of security systems.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Adrenaline_6
07-26-20, 20:19
Would you consider a hard wired system more reliable or less prone to outside attacks compared to the typical wifi setups most are running these days?

I've been wanting to setup something for our home. We have a tough time with reliable internet as it is, so some of the internet based features are of little importance for me. I'm also trying to figure out how we'd get a reliable feed from our drive entrance to the house (which is about 200m away). The only way I figure we could do that is bury a line and run it along side the road leading to our house, but I admittedly know nothing of security systems.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

If you can wire it, wire it. Wireless is great for quick installs and lower labor, but you can't supervise it with an end of line resistor like you can with wire.

I'm not sure if they have since encrypted and fixed the Simplisafe product yet, but they could be jammed with a simple garage door opener at one time. Since there was no real 2 way comm between the transmitter and receiver, the transmitter (door, motion, etc) doesn't know if the receiver (alarm panel) ever got the signal or not. When the garage door opener transmitter button is held down which is on the same frequency as the alarm transmitter, it jams the alarm receiver from ever getting it. So if you open the door at the same time that you hit the garage door opener, the alarm panel never gets the open door signal and never goes into alarm. The transmitter never knows the receiver never got it, so it will never retransmit until it is closed and opened again.

More modern wireless products like DSC use the 900Mhz spectrum and is encrypted spread spectrum also. The free air range is about a mile and will also adjust its gain according to the signal the receiver is getting to maximize battery life, which on average is rated at 7 years on a CR123.