PDA

View Full Version : Anti seize for suppressor QD mounts

MrHandsome
07-26-20, 11:04
I have a surefire mini2 and holy ?!@& does that get stuck on there. I’ve read to use anti seize on the interface. There are many types, silver, copper, aluminum, non metallic, etc. Any reason so use any specific type or reason not to use any specific type?

opngrnd
07-26-20, 11:56
I have a surefire mini2 and holy ?!@& does that get stuck on there. I’ve read to use anti seize on the interface. There are many types, silver, copper, aluminum, non metallic, etc. Any reason so use any specific type or reason not to use any specific type?

It helps to remove SF cans while they are still hot. I use a little grease, but I'm not sure it matters much.

SiGfever
07-26-20, 15:04
For high heat Nickel works well.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-anti-seize/permatex-nickel-anti-seize-lubricant/?locale=en_us

SeriousStudent
07-26-20, 16:00
I've also used a small bottle of Fireclean that I keep in a range bag with good effect.

MrHandsome
07-26-20, 17:46
I just tried the copper anti seize but then it dawned on my that I also use copper cleaner on my rifle. Does this just reintroduce copper into my system? I bought some silver anti seize too just in case copper was a poor option my behalf.

scooter22
07-27-20, 10:24
I have not found any reliable way to not have a SF can get stuck; I always have to shoot it off. I've determined that it must be an inherent feature of the sh!tty design.

kerplode
07-27-20, 12:58
I use Permatex nickel anti-seize on my saker trifecta. That mount is about the stickin'est MFer out there, but it comes of smooth as butter with the anti-seize.

You can get about a lifetime supply on Amazon for a <$20. That crap gets everywhere, though...Pack an old rag or some paper towels.

Zane1844
07-27-20, 13:45
I use Permatex nickel anti-seize on my saker trifecta. That mount is about the stickin'est MFer out there, but it comes of smooth as butter with the anti-seize.

You can get about a lifetime supply on Amazon for a <$20. That crap gets everywhere, though...Pack an old rag or some paper towels.

My Saker Trifecta works a lot better than my Surefire. It has never gotten stuck. I do use anti-seize on both.

themonk
07-27-20, 14:10
For high heat Nickel works well.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-anti-seize/permatex-nickel-anti-seize-lubricant/?locale=en_us

This. You can get it on amazon and this little bottle will last you a lifetime - https://amzn.to/3jMHE3N

MrHandsome
07-27-20, 14:21
How does nickel compare to the other types like silver and copper?

themonk
07-27-20, 14:27
How does nickel compare to the other types like silver and copper?

Heat - silver is 1600°F, copper is 1800°F, and nickel is 2400°F

MrHandsome
07-27-20, 14:32
Are they all safe to use on firearms or is there any metal anti seize I should stay away from. All have high enough heat tolerances.

themonk
07-27-20, 14:42
Are they all safe to use on firearms or is there any metal anti seize I should stay away from. All have high enough heat tolerances.

Never used silver. Copper is what is used on GLOCK slides. Anyone I have ever known uses nickel for suppressors.

nightchief
07-27-20, 14:58
I use this stuff on a SF 556-212 can:

But I also use ALG go juice which seems to work also

scottryan
07-28-20, 09:12
Thread Smart / Thread Logix 2300 deg F food grade on all silencer threads and interfaces.

I also smear this on baffles on take apart silencers.

It has no metal based content in it.

MrHandsome
07-28-20, 09:36
I now have 4 different types of anti seize based on your recommendations. Non-metallic, copper, nickel and silver. I’ll test each over the coming months and see what holds up best.

gaucho1
07-28-20, 13:12
Thread Smart / Thread Logix 2300 deg F food grade on all silencer threads and interfaces.

I also smear this on baffles on take apart silencers.

It has no metal based content in it.

Does it create any smoke?

RustyIron
07-29-20, 08:36

You should definitely incorporate anti-seize into your routine firearm maintenance, as well as other mechanical projects that you work on. The benefits are even more substantial when working with exotic metals that are prone to galling: titanium, aluminum, stainless. There are few legitimate reasons to not use anti-seize. Cost is not one. A small jar will last most people a lifetime. Get the nickel. It might cost two dollars more, but you can amortize the two bucks over your remaining lifespan.