PDA

View Full Version : Question about EOTech Sights

earthworm94
11-27-08, 19:52
Is there a constant on mode for the 552 model? I use my AR as an HD weapon and I would to have it constantly on so it's ready whenever I pick up the weapon and don't have to fumble with buttons.

The battery life is 1000 hrs so that means it will last about 5 weeks and I don't mind doing the PM of replacing the batteries every month.

I do like the less clutter design of the EOTech and it can be mounted without any additional hardware.

NoBody
11-27-08, 20:04
Deleted.

MisterWilson
11-27-08, 20:19
That's precisely why I sold my Eotech. I want something that you can be SURE is on what you need it. With the Eotech, every time I turned it on I had to doublecheck to insure it was actually on - drove me nuts! They could have even fixed that problem with different style buttons, maybe something that clicked when you pressed them instead of those mushy, maybe - maybenot style ones they use currently.

Iraqgunz
11-28-08, 04:46
I would be more concerned about the ability to be able to operate your weapon more than turning the sight on/off.

That battery life is a claimed battery life. I can tell you from experience it seems much less and I have seen some that crapped after a few uses. Personally I would go for the Aimpoint, but more importantly I would ensure that I had a whitle light mounted on it before any other cool guy stuff.

Is there a constant on mode for the 552 model? I use my AR as an HD weapon and I would to have it constantly on so it's ready whenever I pick up the weapon and don't have to fumble with buttons.

The battery life is 1000 hrs so that means it will last about 5 weeks and I don't mind doing the PM of replacing the batteries every month.

I do like the less clutter design of the EOTech and it can be mounted without any additional hardware.

earthworm94
11-28-08, 17:43
I would be more concerned about the ability to be able to operate your weapon more than turning the sight on/off.

That battery life is a claimed battery life. I can tell you from experience it seems much less and I have seen some that crapped after a few uses. Personally I would go for the Aimpoint, but more importantly I would ensure that I had a whitle light mounted on it before any other cool guy stuff.

White light first? Why? I'm of course contemplating how to set it up as a HD rifle with cost-effectiveness in mind as the rifle was bought with money I don't have. Would a white light gives away my position way too easily? A laser or red dot allows me to take accurate shot without announcing my own position?

Iraqgunz
11-28-08, 17:53
Earthworm,

When you use a white light (weapon light) properly it will not give away your position per se. A laser or red dot sight will do nothing to aid you in positive target identification. IMHO a laser is basically worthless except for limited applications. Taking an accurate shot with iron sights shouldn't be an issue unless your house is the size of a football field. But, don't take my word for it, I am just an amateur.

White light first? Why? I'm of course contemplating how to set it up as a HD rifle with cost-effectiveness in mind as the rifle was bought with money I don't have. Would a white light gives away my position way too easily? A laser or red dot allows me to take accurate shot without announcing my own position?

NoBody
11-28-08, 17:55
Deleted.

RogerinTPA
11-28-08, 18:39
Don't you think you should identify what is in your house first (i.e., make sure you're not shooting your wife or child)? The white light allows you to ID you target while making it difficult to see you.

The EOTech or Aimpoint won't allow you to ID your target in the dark. The white light can and may prevent a tragic accident as well. Buy a mount and a Surefire G2 and you'll have an inexpensive set-up for your rifle. I'd also recommend some formal training courses as well.

Well said. It is not smart to shoot indiscriminately in the dark without IDing the threat and will only land you in jail if you do. Accidentally killing family members or guest, is not cool. The Flash Bulb technique, limits your exposure.

mattjmcd
11-30-08, 23:31
A honest to goodness HD rifle probably should have a light on it whether you plan on using it or not.

If you really like the EOTech, just run it and be done with it. My advice is to have a reliable BUIS and stow the rifle with the irons in the up position, just in case you get all fat-fingered under duress.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-01-08, 05:13
i use an Aimpoint Micro for my HD rifle.

but my trunk rifle has an EO on it. i figured i'd grab it and take a picture for you.

i've tried a lot of different EO configurations and the best one i've found for me is the LT ECOS-C (mount/riser) and LT BUIS. you will want a riser for sure, because lower 1/3 is the way to go. ARMS levers blow. the Accucam is garbage. the YHM mount works as a stop-gap, but is made cheaply and has no QD. the RRA Dominator is overpriced and is too limiting...also lacks QD.

a light is a must. i like the Streamlight TRL-1. its affordable, durable and bright enough for my purposes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/parabellum9x19mm/1201080603a.jpg

variablebinary
12-01-08, 10:13
I've gotten more married to Eotechs overtime and moved away from Aimpoints. As with any optic, its up to you to learn how to use it and train with it so it will be most effective when you need it.

I'm at a point now where turning on my Eotech is just part of the motion when shoulding my carbine. If this is a concern for you, than Aimpoint is the way to go. You have to choose what fits your needs the most.