PDA

View Full Version : Is illumination needed in a scope?

SoDak
11-27-08, 19:54
I've been kicking around the idea of putting together a close to medium range ar for varmits and the like. The biggest stumbling block I've run up against is that I don't know what to do for an optic. While I'd like to have illumination in a scope for low light shooting, it seems like that limits my optic choice and costs more than I can justify. It seems like leupold and burris and the like make some great non illuminated 1.5-5, 1-4, or even a fixed 4x for a price I can work with. I should note that I already have an m4 with an aimpoint and light on it for true nightime use. Am I limiting myself by purchasing a non illuminated optic?

Don Robison
11-27-08, 20:03
Am I limiting myself by purchasing a non illuminated optic?

Not if it's not needed. Buy the best optic you can afford with the features you need.

Dan Goodwin
11-28-08, 11:44
If night-hunting is legal for varmints in your state, put a light on your carbine? A Scout Light provides plenty of illumination when using a Leupold 1.5-5X in the dark.

In my state lights are only legal for 'coons and 'possum.

LettersFromEarth
11-28-08, 15:42
Get something with an illuminated reticle. You need it--TURN IT ON. You dont--LEAVE IT OFF. Its better to have it and not need it...;)

rljatl
11-28-08, 17:40
What is your budget? Check out the Swarovski Z6 series. Probably way too expensive, but they are top notch.

http://z6.swarovskioptik.com/?l=EN&DirectLink=Z6_Vollansicht