PDA

View Full Version : LMT 1st Build!

XXXBadd DaddyXXX
11-27-08, 21:13
Does anybody know if you can buy stripped lowers from LMT as well as the Complete Uppers? I am starting my first build after the new year and am doing my homework now. Afer hearing so much praise for LMT and the cost benefit, I'm sold. I would however Like to have a matching Upper and Lower.

If not; could you suggest what lower and parts I should use? I am confident that I can build the lower as I have dismantled and reassembled my current AR several times (all but the extension tube.)

Also; Is it really worth it to buy the upgraded bolt and bolt carrier from LMT or just stick with their stock assembly.

One more thing, am I correct that the federal tax does not apply when purchasing the disassembled weapon parts?

Thanx for your help!::p

Gunrider
11-27-08, 21:22
They don't sell stripped lowers -- just complete Defender lowers ($539 with SOPMOD buttstock)

cpekz
11-27-08, 21:42
Good luck with your build. I don't think LMT sells stripped lowers but I could be wrong. Any forged lower you find will suit you well as long as it is within specs, so just use a reputable brand.
I used a CMT parts kit for my last build and I was very satisfied with it. I've heard many good things about it from other people as well. I've also heard good things about Grant's parts kits since you can decide what to have in it and what to leave out. I have no experience with other kits such as RRA, DPMS, etc.
It's pretty easy to assemble a lower so you shouldn't have much trouble doing it, just have some sort of guide to help you with the assembly as you go along. You can find online guides on TOS. I'm not sure if they have anything on this forum.
I say stick with a normal M16 carrier instead of the enhanced version, IMHO it isn't needed. LMT makes a good standard BCG. Your other options include the mil-contract carriers from LaRue, or ion-bonded ones from BCM.
Yes, there is no excise tax unless you buy a full rifle.
LMT is definitely the way to go. If you can find a complete rifle or a separated upper and lower (preferred) for a decent price, I say go with it! Unless you're dead set on rolling your own like me, of course :D

Flipside
11-27-08, 21:44
I had considered building my own setup as well, but the LIFETIME warranty on a complete rifle proved to be too hard to resist...

XXXBadd DaddyXXX
11-27-08, 21:51
Thanx for the information guys.

As I have been reading; I want to make sure that I get a mil spec lower and extention tube w/stock, any suggestions?

cpekz
11-27-08, 21:59
Thanx for the information guys.

As I have been reading; I want to make sure that I get a mil spec lower and extention tube w/stock, any suggestions?

LMT and Noveske are your best bets for complete lowers, if you can find them. You can easily find a mil-spec tube and stock from any of the vendors if you build your own. In terms of stripped lowers, any one you choose should be a good to go. Some manufacturers tend to have tolerances on the tighter side.

XXXBadd DaddyXXX
11-27-08, 22:32
LMT and Noveske are your best bets for complete lowers, if you can find them. You can easily find a mil-spec tube and stock from any of the vendors if you build your own. In terms of stripped lowers, any one you choose should be a good to go. Some manufacturers tend to have tolerances on the tighter side.

I just checked the website for Noveske. They show a stripped lower in the AR Products section but only the stripped upper is shown for sale w/price (out of stock of course!):confused: