PDA

View Full Version : NV 850nm vs 940 nm

Dr. Bullseye
07-28-20, 18:07
New to NV question.

It is said 940nm illuminators are harder to see with the naked eye than 850nm. The question is with NV is 940nm any harder or easier to see than 850nm?

WS6
07-29-20, 04:19
New to NV question.

It is said 940nm illuminators are harder to see with the naked eye than 850nm. The question is with NV is 940nm any harder or easier to see than 850nm?

Yes, it is reduced notably. If you're trying to illuminate more covertly and don't have SWIR, then go laser like MAWL, NGAL, etc.

Dr. Bullseye
07-29-20, 22:34
Yes, it is reduced notably. If you're trying to illuminate more covertly and don't have SWIR, then go laser like MAWL, NGAL, etc.

I know this is going to seem stupid but what is SWIR?

Ironman8
07-30-20, 06:51
Aren’t you the one that said NV wasn’t needed and all that was needed was some kind of tritium front sight on your irons only rifle?

Dr. Bullseye
07-30-20, 12:47
Aren’t you the one that said NV wasn’t needed and all that was needed was some kind of tritium front sight on your irons only rifle?

I don't remember saying that nor do I have tritium front sights now. I am not sure I ever confused a point of aim which is the tritium for NV.

WS6
08-06-20, 04:56

Are you really gonna throw shade at circa 2008 me?:p
(Seriously, I remember running hundreds of feet of extension cord and setting up automotive shop lights near a clearing to plug in rapidly to try to hunt coyotes as a 20 year old back in 05ish. Wow. Blast from the past memory lane!)

That aside, SWIR...1064nm. Short Wave InfraRed. MAWL CLAD. For a different game than you're likely trying to get into.

Redsoxnation
02-18-22, 13:10
The CLAD is an entirely different animal. I have had one for some time now.