PDA

View Full Version : Spray paint over factory Cerakote finish

icyplanetnhc
07-29-20, 12:56
Hi all,

I've recently acquired a DDM4V7 with the factory Cerakote finish. I picked up the rifle with this finish since it was the only one in stock at the time. I'm not particularly fond of the bronze hue of the finish (I believe it's their Mil-Spec+ color), and I would like to apply a rattlecan spray paint job over the rifle. However, after some cursory searching, it appears that most spray paints do not seem to adhere well to Cerakote.

Does anyone here have any insight or experience on spray painting over Cerakote? Which type would work the best, i.e. enamel vs epoxy vs acrylic? Are there any recommended brands? Common recommendations include Krylon, Aluma-Hyde II, but I haven't found much results from people applying them over Cerakote. I understand that proper degreasing is necessary for any kind of finish to stick, but I would rather not damage or sand the factory finish in order to preserve its protective properties. I know that a rattle can spray paint job tends to wear through hard use, but having it wear off unduly quickly is also undesirable.

EDIT: I ended up using Aluma-Hyde II, although I do wish the colors have more contrast.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52875626027_fd2d6cee88_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52876586305_a002c41a8c_z.jpg

turnburglar
07-29-20, 13:55
Just try it, and if the spray paint doesn't work the way you want it too; just use citristrip or aircraft cleaner to remove it.

EDIT: the only brands of spray paint I use is krylon or rusteloeum. I like the colors I can get Rust Satin in. Krylon only seems to have the most basic of hues. Spray painting guns is very much an art, and takes a lot of practice to get good at, but over thinking it in the beginning won't make the results any better. I have sprayed over a dozen guns at this point. In fact I have one rifle that has probably been painted 6 times.

Here's a good video that covers many of the nuances of painting a rifle:

https://youtu.be/YDgD4d-552o

Here's how you slam bam thank you ma'm:

https://youtu.be/YUBGq9Xz_Jc

GH41
07-29-20, 15:35
Nothing in a spray can is going to be very durable. Why not have it cerakoted the color you want?

Leonidas24
07-29-20, 15:55
Krylon and Aervoe both work fairly well over cerakote. As long as you apply a matte clear coat finish to it afterward it should hold up for a while; and, when it wears off it's not difficult to touch it up.

VIP3R 237
07-29-20, 17:17
Krylon and Aervoe both work fairly well over cerakote. As long as you apply a matte clear coat finish to it afterward it should hold up for a while; and, when it wears off it's not difficult to touch it up.

The clear is essential as Cerakote is not a good primer haha. Spray paint adheres poorly to cerakote and in most instances I can scrape it off with a fingernail. A clear helps with durability

R0CKETMAN
07-29-20, 19:56
Strip parts and send it off for a pro “re-cera” if it’s a “keeper”

icyplanetnhc
07-29-20, 20:10
This rifle is definitely a keeper, and re-Cerakote is an option, but it's an expensive one especially for aesthetic purposes, which is why I'm inquiring about cheaper DIY rattlecans that may adhere to the existing factory Cerakote. The factory Cerakote finish was not my preferred color, but at the time it was the only model in stock at the local shop.

Aside from that, I feel that a DIY rattlecan finish adds more personal character. Below is what the rifle currently looks like. The optic mount in particular sticks out like a sore thumb.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=63262&d=1596071552

26 Inf
07-29-20, 22:09
Would painting the optic mount and light work? I kinda like the color.

MistWolf
07-29-20, 23:03
You can get a lot of mileage out of painting just the furniture.

R0CKETMAN
07-30-20, 05:15
This rifle is definitely a keeper, and re-Cerakote is an option, but it's an expensive one especially for aesthetic purposes, which is why I'm inquiring about cheaper DIY rattlecans that may adhere to the existing factory Cerakote. The factory Cerakote finish was not my preferred color, but at the time it was the only model in stock at the local shop.

Aside from that, I feel that a DIY rattlecan finish adds more personal character. Below is what the rifle currently looks like. The optic mount in particular sticks out like a sore thumb.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=63262&d=1596071552

I dig that brown...

Rough it wish sandpaper??

JediGuy
07-30-20, 06:29
Would painting the optic mount and light work? I kinda like the color.

I’m with this guy.

Beat Trash
07-30-20, 11:51
My son has that exact rifle. Different color furniture and a couple of MagPul rail covers helps break up the color.

Vegas
07-30-20, 11:57
I like that color personally. Why not live with it for a bit and see if it grows on you? Cheap option [emoji4]

grizzlyblake
07-30-20, 13:09
Functionally the rifle is best as is.

Aesthetically, it kind of matches the "50 shades of FDE" that seems popular on social media.

If this is just an exercise in aesthetic customization do it right and have the whole gun professionally cerakoted in whatever color or pattern tickles your fancy.

My personal advice is to leave it alone and not dick up a fine rifle.

nick84
07-30-20, 13:15
Gonna join some others and say that I kinda dig that color. But if you're sure it's not for you, that's cool.

Just Krylon that bitch. And I wouldn't personally put a coat over it either. Just spray it, let it dry, touch it up as needed and you can always strip it easily and re-do it later if you want.

icyplanetnhc
07-30-20, 16:26
The color of the carpet somewhat affects the perspective of the finish's color, here it is against a white wall background. I'm personally more fond of a lighter shade of coyote tan, but I suppose the bronze/brown color is acceptable. The best approach may be to rattlecan the furniture and see how that turns out. I must say, I'm still not fond of the optic mount's contrast with the rifle's brown color, but I hesitate to spray paint that piece due to not wanting to mess up the precise tolerances of the machining.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=63275&d=1596144486

JediGuy
07-30-20, 16:29
I’d see if anyone on the EE would trade before painting anything.

icyplanetnhc
07-30-20, 16:36
I’d see if anyone on the EE would trade before painting anything.

This rifle is a keeper and I'm not inclined to trade, as I have already modified the rifle internally to a non-factory configuration to my preferences, including a Surefire Warcomp CTN and Geissele SD-C. I'm overall very satisfied with the rifle, with the color of the finish being my only gripe, and it's not really that severe. At least, not enough for me to want to spend the money to re-Cerakote.

JediGuy
07-30-20, 16:57
I just meant the optic mount and flashlight, or furniture.

grizzlyblake
07-30-20, 17:07
Dude. The rifle looks great the way it is. Leave it.

R0CKETMAN
07-30-20, 19:39
The color of the carpet somewhat affects the perspective of the finish's color, here it is against a white wall background. I'm personally more fond of a lighter shade of coyote tan, but I suppose the bronze/brown color is acceptable. The best approach may be to rattlecan the furniture and see how that turns out. I must say, I'm still not fond of the optic mount's contrast with the rifle's brown color, but I hesitate to spray paint that piece due to not wanting to mess up the precise tolerances of the machining.

Color looks even more badass...

Sounds like you just need to sell it and go black

icyplanetnhc
07-30-20, 20:59
Color looks even more badass...

Sounds like you just need to sell it and go black

No, this rifle is a keeper. To be fair, a black optic mount would perhaps better fit a bronze/black two-tone theme (minus the Scout Light).

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-31-20, 07:49
Why not spend your money on a quality light mount and tape switch so your light isn't 6 inches back on your rail? Color combos are much less important than massive barrel and rail shadow....

Stickman
08-02-20, 12:19
Hi all,

I've recently acquired a DDM4V7 with the factory Cerakote finish. I picked up the rifle with this finish since it was the only one in stock at the time. I'm not particularly fond of the bronze hue of the finish (I believe it's their Mil-Spec+ color), and I would like to apply a rattlecan spray paint job over the rifle. However, after some cursory searching, it appears that most spray paints do not seem to adhere well to Cerakote.

Does anyone here have any insight or experience on spray painting over Cerakote? Which type would work the best, i.e. enamel vs epoxy vs acrylic? Are there any recommended brands? Common recommendations include Krylon, Aluma-Hyde II, but I haven't found much results from people applying them over Cerakote. I understand that proper degreasing is necessary for any kind of finish to stick, but I would rather not damage or sand the factory finish in order to preserve its protective properties. I know that a rattle can spray paint job tends to wear through hard use, but having it wear off unduly quickly is also undesirable.

Its fine.

Stickman
08-02-20, 12:21

Fix the light position, then spray some accent colors on it and you will be doing great! The color it is should make for a great base color.

sycotik
08-03-20, 20:01
DD brown (Mil Spec + I think is what they call it) with a Vortex razor is a perfect color combo in my opinion. I have a black G mount though on mine.

magister
08-03-20, 21:42
Fine rifle, OP. Nothing wrong with spraying over cerakote so far as I know. As previously mentioned, the light looks a little far back on your rail. Moving it closer to the muzzle should cut back on barrel shadow.

How’s it shooting for you?

Renegade0100
08-03-20, 22:28
Rifle is fine. If you still wanna rattle it, spray paint isn't going to hurt anything. You can spray the Geissele mounts, etc no problem.

icyplanetnhc
08-04-20, 06:52
I've bought a Surefire SR07 remote switch that would allow me to move the light just in front of the rail. I'm not a very large person, so the light positioning was such that I am able to thumb the current end cap switch while thumb-over-bore gripping (or C-grip) the rifle. The LPVO mount is actually a Badger Ordnance Condition One mount at lower 1/3 cowitness height.

The rifle itself shoots very well, and with the Recce setup, it serves as my do-it-all weapon. The only additions left are an offset red dot sight and PEQ-15 once I save some additional funds, although admittedly, the latter is mainly for fun.

icyplanetnhc
07-08-22, 20:46
I ended up using Aluma-Hyde II, although I do wish the colors have more contrast.

I’m able to achieve 5-shot groups of around 0.7” extreme spread using the 69gr FGMM. Please excuse the un-zeroed optic.

Hammer_Man
07-10-22, 12:05
I ended up using Aluma-Hyde II, although I do wish the colors have more contrast.

I’m able to achieve 5-shot groups of around 0.7” extreme spread using the 69gr FGMM. Please excuse the un-zeroed optic.

Looks good! The great thing about spray paint is that you can touch it up when needed.