PDA

View Full Version : So will Teachers strike ?

Averageman
07-29-20, 18:43
So it seems Teachers may strike rather than return to the classroom, it would appear that the Union is behind them.
Hmmmm, I hope they don't do this, but I believe they should be fired if they do.
Grocery clerks, Truckers, Doctors, Law Enforcement. Factory workers.
So why should Teachers be exempt?

Diamondback
07-29-20, 18:48
I say go PATCO on 'em if they do.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-29-20, 18:56
Someone needs to follow some young and dumb teachers on the weekend and get them doing stupid stuff. Finding out some that were arrested/detained in the riots would be good too. I do feel for them. With my job I can stay home. With my wife’s job decidedly not and she goes and deals with Covid. In the middle are the grocery store workers and others the deal with general public all the time. I just don’t get why they think they are so special.

With some of the older and at risk ones, sure let them work from home or give them some time off. That would be cheaper than all of this.

The real strategic play is a point out if they don’t want to do in school teaching, they don’t need all of those physical locations, they don’t need all of those teachers, you could radically reduce the number of educators needed to teach kids if you want to and totally online forum like they want. Same thing or even more with college. They’ve already proven that that will be done.

We got our kids private schools plans for the fall. I think it all hinges on the word exposed. If one kid gets it in a class does that mean the whole class has to stay home? What about in high schools were you have some more mixing of classes. All it would take would be one case and all of a sudden a quarter of the kids are “exposed” and you have them studying from home. Then you wait 14 days? If they don’t have a fever can I come back? Or are we going to make them go and get a useless test. And who’s cost, especially for public schools.

The standard I heard was that there should be no new Covid cases for 14 days in the whole county before schools can start. Yeah go **** yourself. I’ll not only support, I’ll join BLM, if they can stop shooting each other for 14 days in Chicago.

jpmuscle
07-29-20, 18:59
Everyone wants to be considered essential until it’s time to do essential employee things.

They don’t want to go back to work? Neat. Furlough with no pay and refunds for property and school taxes back to property owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-29-20, 19:02
So they are going to strike so they don’t have to show up for work, because we won’t let them not show up for work.

Averageman
07-29-20, 19:04
I live across from a High School.
No school essentially since Christmas break. As of this Monday, the sports teams were having practice, the grounds were finally back to standard and Coaches were on hand.

BoringGuy45
07-29-20, 19:05
Our school is planning on going back, and most of the teachers want to.

SteyrAUG
07-29-20, 19:06
Remember the air traffic controllers and Reagan?

Well...

Diamondback
07-29-20, 19:30
Remember the air traffic controllers and Reagan?

Well...

GMTA... :D (post #2)

Mozart
07-29-20, 19:38
Everyone wants to be considered essential until it’s time to do essential employee things.

They don’t want to go back to work? Neat. Furlough with no pay and refunds for property and school taxes back to property owners.

I love you

TomMcC
07-29-20, 22:07
Home schooling might become a bigger thing. At least you can better control what is taught.

ColtSeavers
07-29-20, 22:19
School district here just made the decision to open back up thankfully.

Dr. Bullseye
07-29-20, 22:44
Do you guys know what they teach in public schools now? They teach slavery. Then they teach more slavery. Then more slavery. No other subjects to speak of, only slavery.

There is nothing more worthless than a public school teacher. They are ALL either incompetent, burnt out, or complicit with this curriculum. No matter which they should be fired. All fired. Then, reorganize everything if you even want to keep your kids in that school. All teachers should have a B.S. in Science to teach anything and even then they should be tested before hired.

The very idea a teacher should be paid something comparable to an engineer is just plain crazy. Believe me, they would do the same job for $1000.00 a month. In fact, that ought to be their base salary with bonus for students achieving test scores beyond the mean, median and mode. But even then they should only be paid for the actual months they teach.

SteyrAUG
07-29-20, 22:59
Home schooling might become a bigger thing. At least you can better control what is taught.

I think I might start a home school course for kids.

They will learn some actual, sometimes inconvenient history. Supported science. Math. And just about everything you ever wanted to know about ninja. I will also spend an entire hour devoted to independent and critical thinking skills.

I think there is a lot of money out there just waiting for me.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-30-20, 07:39
It would be interesting if the teachers union gambit to keep people from going back to work because they have to stay home with her kids, that’s hurting the economy and hurting trumps chances for reelection, actually open up the door to more and more people rejecting public education and demanding that they be able to take their money to the school of their choice.

Denver public schools are out until the election. Every time I look at the I HME data I just don’t see where all of the end of the world projections are coming from.

Arik
07-30-20, 08:44
As of mid July the largest two districts here, Philadelphia and Bucks Co, will be reopening. However, as far as I understand it they will offer a hybrid and a home schooling option. Not sure how that's going to work but I don't have kids so it's not something I pay attention to

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

chuckman
07-30-20, 08:53

There is a store about 30 minutes from us that caters to the homeschool crowd, they sell curricula and supplies. My wife goes about twice a year, sells the stuff the kids grow out of, pick up new curricula for the upcoming year. She went on Monday, said it was bursting at the seams, a lot of people who have not homeschooled but planning to start. She said strangers would come up to her (and other women, and the workers) asking "do you homeschool already? I need advice on XXXXXX...." There is some great material coming out of this for a for-real paper....

chuckman
07-30-20, 08:54

They will learn some actual, sometimes inconvenient history. Supported science. Math. And just about everything you ever wanted to know about ninja. I will also spend an entire hour devoted to independent and critical thinking skills.

There is a market. You just gotta find your niche, your 'thing.'

TomMcC
07-30-20, 09:53

Most of the HS curricula I'm familiar with is Christian oriented, but there could be a good market for more secular material, if that's what you were aiming at.

Adrenaline_6
07-30-20, 10:05

Good on you. I hope you succeed.

jesuvuah
07-30-20, 10:06
My wife and i have been homeschooling all along. Part of it was because I was working swing shifts, and also because we did not want the liberal indoctrination.

People i know used to mock us for homeschooling, now they are begging us for help and i cant help but find it laughable

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

chuckman
07-30-20, 10:23
My wife and i have been homeschooling all along. Part of it was because I was working swing shifts, and also because we did not want the liberal indoctrination.

People i know used to mock us for homeschooling, now they are begging us for help and i cant help but find it laughable

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Just don't laugh AT them. I tell my wife this is the perfect storm, the perfect opportunity, to welcome people into the homeschooling family. We welcome them the right way, they will (homeschool) forever. If we treat them contemptuously, we'll turn them away.

But I agree...I think to myself, "oh, now you want my opinion...."

jpmuscle
07-30-20, 10:25
Which is why you have some states trying to outlaw the practice all together.

2020 is the year we learned teachers are in fact non-essential.

TomMcC
07-30-20, 10:29
Which is why you have some states trying to outlaw the practice all together.

2020 is the year we learned teachers are in fact non-essential.

The main reason many in my church moved to Idaho is because it's probably the most hands off state for homeschooling. Even though California is pretty left, they left us pretty much alone.

glocktogo
07-30-20, 10:56
Another thing you'll start seeing is teaching co-ops. Families in the same neighborhood banding together and having one parent home-school for 3-5 families, possibly even swapping off duties from time to time. That will still allow most to have 2 parents working to cover costs. Everyone doing this should not have to pay school taxes.

When school districts start loosing more than a few dollars here and there, the monolith might eventually move.

Grand58742
07-30-20, 11:05

Are the H&K worship services optional at your home school?

chuckman
07-30-20, 11:11
The main reason many in my church moved to Idaho is because it's probably the most hands off state for homeschooling. Even though California is pretty left, they left us pretty much alone.

North Carolina is also pretty homeschool-friendly; of course, all it takes is a few state legislators to retire and some pro-public school/anti-HS take their place, and it could change. This could happen. NC is purple, with the urban areas getting more liberal by the day. We have 10 years to get our youngest out, we see it as a race with the state. But the existing HS regulations are pretty friendly.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-30-20, 12:10
We have home schooled our daughter the last two years. She is about to be in the 7th grade and are staying with it but moving to Liberty University Online home school this coming school year. It is still self paced, but a little more structured and once in high school they offer a ton of dual credits. We will continue to teach extra history, Spanish, and music lessons on top of Liberty.

chuckman
07-30-20, 12:12
We have home schooled our daughter the last two years. She is about to be in the 7th grade and are staying with it but moving to Liberty University Online home school this coming school year. It is still self paced, but a little more structured and once in high school they offer a ton of dual credits. We will continue to teach extra history, Spanish, and music lessons on top of Liberty.

Great idea. We did this with our son starting when he was 15. After two semesters he took the ACT and did well enough to go anywhere, so we graduated him early, now he's taking classes online at the community college and will transfer to Duke or somewhere else.

grizzlyblake
07-30-20, 13:55
Another thing you'll start seeing is teaching co-ops. Families in the same neighborhood banding together and having one parent home-school for 3-5 families, possibly even swapping off duties from time to time. That will still allow most to have 2 parents working to cover costs. Everyone doing this should not have to pay school taxes.

When school districts start loosing more than a few dollars here and there, the monolith might eventually move.

That will never happen.

If anything you will be hit with an extra tax for the priviledge of being allowed to home school.

Grand58742
07-30-20, 15:08
One thing I think was important this past spring with school closures was parents suddenly coming to the realization their babies weren't as golden as they thought. Bad students are sometimes yours.

As I heard on one radio morning show on the way to work, "after having to keep up with my kid's schoolwork the past two months, teachers are criminally underpaid."

Now, I don't support this movement to strike for remote schools, but I do think some adaptations can be made to curriculum this year.

rocsteady
07-30-20, 15:18
Funny how my whole adult life I've been told that teachers were more essential than air, especially when they were taking more and more of my money in taxes to pay for these indispensable people and the service they provide that we cannot possibly survive without. Now, there's a bit of discomfort and all of a sudden everything can be done without them? So which is it and where's my tax refund for the services not rendered this past school year?

JediGuy
07-30-20, 16:20
Teachers are essential, and public schools are essential.
I’m saying this as a hard right, despise public sector unions and disagree with their legality, near-libertarian, grew up in the woods as a fundamentalist, preacher’s kid homeschool graduate.

I joke about it a bit, and I loved being homeschooled besides not being on a basketball team, but it is not for everyone.

I work, even though my wife has the more lucrative degree, and she was very clear when dating that homeschooling was not an option with her. After getting to know her, I agreed...that’s the right decision... It simply is not effectively done by many people, including those who think they are doing an amazing job. Secondly, there are costs to homeschooling when it comes to social integration, though those can be partially mitigated by co-ops, etc. For many, that tradeoff is rightfully worthwhile.

All that to say that teachers should be required to work or accept unpaid furlough and possible replacement. Great time to be a young teacher, now with the possibility of lucrative positions once stubbornly held by grumpy old people.

Now, if we want to talk about non-essential, let’s start examine secondary and collegiate administrators...

Diamondback
07-30-20, 17:42
Now, if we want to talk about non-essential, let’s start examine secondary and collegiate administrators...

Not to mention top-heavy Education Admin... my high-school had FOUR principals, the HMFIC and one for each of three classes of about 600 kids. And then at Head Office you have more layers of Directors, Deputy Directors, Assistant Directors, Deputy Assistant Directors etc. than an Amway pyramid scheme...

07-30-20, 17:58
The anti-education bent of many in this forum continues to disappoint and disgust me. I guarantee it doesn’t get us a single inch with the anti-gun enemy.

Diamondback
07-30-20, 18:02
The anti-education bent of many in this forum continues to disappoint and disgust me. I guarantee it doesn’t get us a single inch with the anti-gun enemy.

There's anti-education and there's anti-Big Ed Complex. The problem is mostly in the bureaucracy at school districts, state/Fed Ed Depts and the NEA and its state affiliates.

We need to spend our Ed dollars SMARTER, not spend MORE. And a big chunk of any increase should be directly targeted to those at the front lines, not the Clerks-and-Jerks REMFs with the big fancy desks and big fancy titles.

SteyrAUG
07-30-20, 18:03
Good on you. I hope you succeed.

Ok kids, put your books away, grab your ARs and meet me on the firing line. It's time for recess.

SteyrAUG
07-30-20, 18:04
Are the H&K worship services optional at your home school?

It's an extra curricular.

Diamondback
07-30-20, 18:06
Ok kids, put your books away, grab your ARs and meet me on the firing line. It's time for recess.

But what if my kid wants to rock an M1 Carbine? :P LOL

TomMcC
07-31-20, 00:21

Wouldn't that be a hoot? I'm not sure they're allowed to play dodge ball these days.

Honu
07-31-20, 00:37
One of our co-ops has about 300+ kids we meet weekly (in hold for now) at a church have great class options with so many kids and parents that can teach very unique things
There is no shortage of social activities

Actually one of the courses was shooting the NRA also stepped up and helped we had donated rifles and ammo and kids went to the range !
Another was archery

Our state has ESA where you can get some funds to help with homeschool etc... the left are fighting to take it away and the dems want it all gone and forced public for indoctrination of course

My daughter at 16 is now starting her college credits along with finishing up her HS but she takes on after her mother for being scholastic thank goodness :)

SteyrAUG
07-31-20, 01:53
But what if my kid wants to rock an M1 Carbine? :P LOL

We will do that when we get to the history of Carbine Williams and against when we get into Small Arms of WWII 101. And any kid who can bring me a genuine original para carbine gets an automatic pass and will be exempt from the requirement of naming ALL the manufacturers who produced the M1 carbine.

I guarantee this knowledge will be "as useful" in the real world as anything they ever did with a protractor.

DG23
07-31-20, 18:58

Had one son that we home schooled that took to the challenge really well.

When he was in the 8 to 10yr old range the general house rule was 'no video games or sponge bob kid type shows after something like 5 pm'. Extra TV time could be had most times if he wanted it but it had to be worked for and earned.

Long story short - He walks up one day with his pen and paper and asks if he can do some home school stuff for some TV time. He had been working on long division stuff recently so I gave him one problem to do for one hour of TV time. 'What is the 12th digit to the right of the decimal place in Pi?'

I figured he would go work out the 'approximation' of Pi longhand ( 22 / 7 = 3.142857142857143 ) to get his answer but instead he just stood there for a few seconds thinking about it before spitting out the answer. Damned if he didn't nail it...

Averageman
08-06-20, 17:53
Well it appears that they will oppose reopening as much as possible.
I believe it's being done as a political weapon to hurt the current administration.

AndyLate
08-06-20, 18:38
They are justifying the very school choice, home schooling, and private schools they have battled for years.

SteyrAUG
08-06-20, 21:17
They are justifying the very school choice, home schooling, and private schools they have battled for years.

Maybe it's a time to demand vouchers.

Averageman
08-06-20, 21:27
Maybe it's a time to demand vouchers.
This is going to be a political weapon of the left, the quicker someone says "Voucher" the better off we will be.
I still pay school taxes, so I hope I get a voucher to gift someone who wants out of a school system that is indoctrinating rather than Teaching.
This was the final straw for me. The Teachers Unions now appear to have chosen a different side.

Dr. Bullseye
08-06-20, 21:34
So, if the teachers strike, do we get a property tax rebate?

Pappabear
08-06-20, 21:37
I'm so sick of these teachers holding children hostage. Its disgusting and its all political pushing to MAKE AMERICA WORSE AGAIN and I hate them for it. I hope people put their children in Private schools and they all lose their jobs. Liberal pieces of sht, the entire education Sytem. Nothing is in favor of Christian conservative views. NOTHING.

PB

Pappabear
08-06-20, 21:39
Had one son that we home schooled that took to the challenge really well.

When he was in the 8 to 10yr old range the general house rule was 'no video games or sponge bob kid type shows after something like 5 pm'. Extra TV time could be had most times if he wanted it but it had to be worked for and earned.

Long story short - He walks up one day with his pen and paper and asks if he can do some home school stuff for some TV time. He had been working on long division stuff recently so I gave him one problem to do for one hour of TV time. 'What is the 12th digit to the right of the decimal place in Pi?'

I figured he would go work out the 'approximation' of Pi longhand ( 22 / 7 = 3.142857142857143 ) to get his answer but instead he just stood there for a few seconds thinking about it before spitting out the answer. Damned if he didn't nail it...

Impressive, wish you were teaching our kids. I guess your a genius and your kid is a genius, what do you do for work my I ask?

PB

Grand58742
08-06-20, 21:58
Apparently, Georgia had a "die in" today where the students protested going back to college.

The most asked question was "why don't you just not enroll?"

AKDoug
08-06-20, 22:07
My daughter-in-law is a teacher. Today was her first day of meetings for this school year. She says it was a total cluster and the leadership failure at the administrative level is compounded now by these current challenges. She's only in her second year of teaching and I only give her five more years before she quits. She works in our business in the summers and I can tell that she is slowly coming around to the fact that making decisions for yourself is far more enjoyable than participating in the craziness that is a public school system.

AndyLate
08-06-20, 22:33
Silver lining - we won't have to care about teachers spending their own money for school supplies for a semester. Of course, the same parents who put their kids' education after fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs are effectively the teacher's aides now.

Andy

Averageman
08-07-20, 06:16
Silver lining - we won't have to care about teachers spending their own money for school supplies for a semester. Of course, the same parents who put their kids' education after fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs are effectively the teacher's aides now.

Andy

A lot of good people are going to have difficulty with this.
The learning curve should have been overcome by now, but I am willing to bet it hasn't in many cases.
The very people setting the standard have essentially abdicated all responsibility, so it's up to the parents now.
I would be very concerned that your local school board doesn't have a plan worked out after having 9 months to come up with contingencies.
Some sort of Private institution with more money coming out of pocket seems the only way if you truly value your kids education.

chuckman
08-07-20, 08:04
Some sort of Private institution with more money coming out of pocket seems the only way if you truly value your kids education.

NC private school tuition (per child, average $9,755): https://www.privateschoolreview.com/tuition-stats/north-carolina

Our fall 2020 homeschool expenses for 4 kids: $400

Our savings $38,000.

Averageman
08-07-20, 08:19
NC private school tuition (per child, average $9,755): https://www.privateschoolreview.com/tuition-stats/north-carolina

Our fall 2020 homeschool expenses for 4 kids: $400

Our savings $38,000.

There are a few single parents who have to work full time that, that scenario just won't work for though.

chuckman
08-07-20, 08:25
There are a few single parents who have to work full time that, that scenario just won't work for though.

If they are single parents, then how will private tuition work? Or, why could they not do HS at night? Or during the weekend? (Provided childcare is cheaper).

Granted homeschool may not work for everyone, but for most people who claim it won't work, it's because they just don't want it to work.

CRAMBONE
08-07-20, 08:28
My wife isn’t striking, infact she was chomping at the bit to get back into the classroom and they started back yesterday. She works at a small private school, our children go to the same school. They have implemented mandatory masks and social distancing standards. Her administration has stated multiple times that the current guidelines are serious and they will enforce them. The administration is nervous because public school has been delayed until September and “all eyes are on them”.

fledge
08-07-20, 09:00

The exception doesn’t prove the rule. Imagine a community that focused on helping find solutions for the exceptions than just accept the damaging status quo for all. We’ve normalized the govt assistance of public education. And that is what must be examined. Communities find better solutions than bureaucrats, if we are willing to put in the work.

My wife isn’t striking, infact she was chomping at the bit to get back into the classroom and they started back yesterday. She works at a small private school, our children go to the same school. They have implemented mandatory masks and social distancing standards. Her administration has stated multiple times that the current guidelines are serious and they will enforce them. The administration is nervous because public school has been delayed until September and “all eyes are on them”.

Sounds like Normandy. I hope they succeed.

Seriously, someone has to start taking the lead. The perpetual hot potato for various interests is cowardice in disguise.

AndyLate
08-07-20, 09:05
A lot of good people are going to have difficulty with this.
The learning curve should have been overcome by now, but I am willing to bet it hasn't in many cases.
The very people setting the standard have essentially abdicated all responsibility, so it's up to the parents now.
I would be very concerned that your local school board doesn't have a plan worked out after having 9 months to come up with contingencies.

Private schooling is far too expensive for the majority of people without a voucher equal in value to the public school expense per child.

The public teacher's union and the public school adminitators have had a choke hold on the US parents long enough. I feel that both (as institutions) have openly thrown the kids under the bus to support the Democratic party. I also feel that they have overplayed their hand and have created an opportunity for change.

We, the public, have poured ridiculous and ever increasing sums of money into public schools while the metrics show our country's quality of education slipping away.

A voucher system would at least force change through competition, relieve overcrowded schools, and give teachers (who overwhelmingly got into teaching to help kids learn) the opportunity to shine.

In one year we went from year round school lunches and care packages of food being necessary to keep school kids from starving to death and federally funded after school activities being required for minority children to understand their cultures and improve their educational opportunities to "oh, the kids will dutifully sit in front of a computer all day and learn or we will all die."

How many of those teachers who fear instant death if they cross the threshold of a classroom are out demonstrating and shouting in crowds?

Andy

P.S. The majority of teachers are not callous or ignorant of the effect virtual schooling will have. Unfortunately, the minority who are protesting it are drowned out by the sheep they work with.

chuckman
08-07-20, 09:24
In one year we went from year round school lunches and care packages of food being necessary to keep school kids from starving to death and federally funded after school activities being required for minority children to understand their cultures and improve their educational opportunities to "oh, the kids will dutifully sit in front of a computer all day and learn or we will all die."

Smart teachers will see the handwriting in the wall (not in cursive, mind you) and start parlaying their specialty into a product that is portable, transportable, and easy to teach and learn, and tell the public school apparatus to "shove it". Anyone can teach the A-B-C and how to count; the real expertise is in curriculum development, writing objectives, and measuring outcomes.

BrigandTwoFour
08-07-20, 09:27
All of this is hitting at a strange time for me. I have a one year old and we've been talking about education. I'm not really a fan of public schooling for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is it's emphasis on standardized testing and removal of critical thought. I despise the "Play the game and pass" mentality.

I went to private school from 6th grade on, and it was a good experience. But private schools around me (Northern Virginia) are $30k+ per year, which just isn't going to happen, especially since we get by on only my income.

But since that means my wife is a stay at home (and I'm working remotely full time for the near future), I think there's an opportunity to take advantage of homeschooling. We're definitely leaning that route, and are doing our homework on the available curriculums and such to support it. With such an uptick in people electing to go this route in the last several months, I suspect there's going to be an explosion in available curriculum and teaching methods.

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 01:56
So it seems Teachers may strike rather than return to the classroom, it would appear that the Union is behind them.
Hmmmm, I hope they don't do this, but I believe they should be fired if they do.
Grocery clerks, Truckers, Doctors, Law Enforcement. Factory workers.
So why should Teachers be exempt?

I’m a public school teacher. I’ve not heard of anyone wanting to go on strike at least in my area. I find it odd that I have not heard of any of this at all until I read it on M4C.net. No sources cited. Is this for real? Sounds sensationalized, perhaps a political bent. Yes, I know that the education world has a left leaning bias. That make it a clear target for a political attack by the right. (Not saying it isn’t deserved, but I am saying it probably has more political motivation, rather than improving the educational system). I abhor politics.

I just read through this whole thread. Seems like the majority of posts are anti-teacher, anti-public education. It seems like public education is the right’s version of defund the police.

You hear some news stories of bad teachers, left wing indoctrination, etc., and now the whole system is corrupt. Kinda reminds me of how law enforcement as an institution is being treated right now.

Public education is not perfect, but don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

BTW, I love teaching. It is the best profession in the world.

AndyLate
08-11-20, 07:14
I’m a public school teacher. I’ve not heard of anyone wanting to go on strike at least in my area. I find it odd that I have not heard of any of this at all until I read it on M4C.net. No sources cited. Is this for real? Sounds sensationalized, perhaps a political bent. Yes, I know that the education world has a left leaning bias. That make it a clear target for a political attack by the right. (Not saying it isn’t deserved, but I am saying it probably has more political motivation, rather than improving the educational system). I abhor politics.

I just read through this whole thread. Seems like the majority of posts are anti-teacher, anti-public education. It seems like public education is the right’s version of defund the police.

You hear some news stories of bad teachers, left wing indoctrination, etc., and now the whole system is corrupt. Kinda reminds me of how law enforcement as an institution is being treated right now.

Public education is not perfect, but don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

Really? Never heard about possible strikes by teachers? Hopefully you don't teach Current Events https://www.google.com/search?q=teachers+threaten+to+strike&prmd=nvi&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiLx_vsjpPrAhXnc98KHb-SA_YQpwV6BAgLEBA&biw=360&bih=615#ip=1

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 07:49
Really? Never heard about possible strikes by teachers? Hopefully you don't teach Current Events https://www.google.com/search?q=teachers+threaten+to+strike&prmd=nvi&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiLx_vsjpPrAhXnc98KHb-SA_YQpwV6BAgLEBA&biw=360&bih=615#ip=1

Nope. Middle school Spanish teacher. I browsed through some of the articles that came up with the google search and it seems like most of the cases of teachers threatening strikes is far more localized than wide spread. In fact, look at the first article that comes up: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/b61d745e90ba4833835b028e62b2f623.jpg
Chicago. Things are already nuts there, so don’t use them as a litmus test for the rest of the nation. I’m pretty sure that in all the cases, the journalists are polling from a small sample source and everybody thinks that when the article says “teachers” that means “all teachers,” or “most of the nation’s teachers.”

AndyLate
08-11-20, 08:11
Nope. Middle school Spanish teacher. I browsed through some of the articles that came up with the google search and it seems like most of the cases of teachers threatening strikes is far more localized than wide spread. In fact, look at the first article that comes up: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/b61d745e90ba4833835b028e62b2f623.jpg
Chicago. Things are already nuts there, so don’t use them as a litmus test for the rest of the nation. I’m pretty sure that in all the cases, the journalists are polling from a small sample source and everybody thinks that when the article says “teachers” that means “all teachers,” or “most of the nation’s teachers.”

Theats of strikes are worldwide, but in truth teachers teach because they love teaching kids. Kind of like cops, it only takes a few bad apples to give people a false impression.

Andy

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 08:23
Theats of strikes are worldwide, but in truth teachers teach because they love teaching kids. Kind of like cops, it only takes a few bad apples to give people a false impression.

Andy

Thank you for recognizing this. The war on teachers is pretty real. There is concerted effort in this country to undermine many of its institutions like public education and police force. The MSM is sensationalizing small pockets of dysfunction in our country to sell advertising space/time. Most news headlines are pretty much clickbait.

jpmuscle
08-11-20, 10:25
Thank you for recognizing this. The war on teachers is pretty real. There is concerted effort in this country to undermine many of its institutions like public education and police force. The MSM is sensationalizing small pockets of dysfunction in our country to sell advertising space/time. Most news headlines are pretty much clickbait.

Well considering the continual effort to revamp curriculums; diminish if not completely eliminate education on civics, government, and history in general all the while emphasizing and promoting alternative lifestyles, gender fluidity, the fallacy that is systemic racism, and reducing academic standards to foster inclusivity and ameliorate “inequality” I’d say a lot of that angst to undermine and oppose is warranted.

No doubt public educators have a challenging gig but to suggest the quality of education over hasn’t been steadily declining despite more and more money, technology, etc being pumped into districts (wonder where all that’s going) I’d argue is incorrect.

TomMcC
08-11-20, 10:36
"War on teachers"? Teachers have been complicit in the making of little leftist since John Dewey.

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 11:41
Well considering the continual effort to revamp curriculums; diminish if not completely eliminate education on civics, government, and history in general all the while emphasizing and promoting alternative lifestyles, gender fluidity, the fallacy that is systemic racism, and reducing academic standards to foster inclusivity and ameliorate “inequality” I’d say a lot of that angst to undermine and oppose is warranted.

No doubt public educators have a challenging gig but to suggest the quality of education over hasn’t been steadily declining despite more and more money, technology, etc being pumped into districts (wonder where all that’s going) I’d argue is incorrect.

I would agree with you on much of what you have listed here. There is far too much ideology being injected into schools, there is a lot of wasted spending on tech and programs.

There is a lot of money to be made on education and businesses with the help of politicians are keen to capitalize. Manufacture a problem. Have a ready made solution to the problem you can sell. Laugh your way all the way to the bank.

Again I will say it. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. The solution to bad public schools is not eliminating public schools. It’s better public schools.

But in reality are American public schools really that bad? Not really. If you control for poverty, American students do as well or better than the rest of the world.

Protecting Students Against the Effects of Poverty: Libraries

Stephen Krashen

New England Reading Association Journal

Despite the current interest in school "reform," and despite the current movement to radically change schools and teaching, there is no evidence that school itself needs to change dramatically. There is no evidence that teachers these days are worse than they were in the past, that parents these days are more irresponsible than they were in the past, or that students these days are lazier than they were in the past.
Can schools improve? Of course. Nearly all educators work for improvement all the time. But we do not need "reform." We do not need radical changes in the structure of school, in teacher evaluation, teacher education, etc.
The main evidence for the claim that our schools have failed is the fact that American students have not done especially well on international tests of math and science. Studies show, however, that American students from well-funded schools who come from high- income families outscore nearly all other countries on these kinds of tests (Payne and Biddle, 1999; Bracey, 2009; Martin, 2009). The mediocre overall scores are because the US has a very high percentage of children in poverty, over 20%, compared to Denmark's 3% (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_chi_pov-economy-child-poverty. (1)
Our educational system has been successful; the problem is poverty.

You can read the rest here:

http://www.sdkrashen.com/content/articles/protecting_students.pdf

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 11:47
"War on teachers"? Teachers have been complicit in the making of little leftist since John Dewey.

I wish we had this much influence. Most of the time I try to get my kids to do anything, or think a certain way, all I get is rebellious attitudes. Maybe you’re thinking of professors at the university level.

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 12:04
I find this data interesting:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/85596caaff0bd90724d0f45a6d611fc5.jpg

Also:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200811/b25cf20d9051d091bbe2dafc38929dc5.jpg

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/08/23/490380129/americans-like-their-schools-just-fine-but-not-yours

TomMcC
08-11-20, 12:16
I wish we had this much influence. Most of the time I try to get my kids to do anything, or think a certain way, all I get is rebellious attitudes. Maybe you’re thinking of professors at the university level.

So for instance, sex education at even kindergarten, hasn't had anything to do with the rise of promiscuity, teen pregnancies, sexting, things of that nature? Teaching kids about evolution hasn't had an effect on their outlook? They've just been brushing that off?

chuckman
08-11-20, 12:40
Public education, like so many ideas from the good idea fairy known as the government, has experienced mission creep and loss of span of control. Is it local? Is it state? Is it federal? Does it need it's own cabinet-level department? Why is it funded via so many avenues (including the pernicious state lotteries, which often deflect funds to other projects)? Why is administration so top heavy? Why does it have to have such powerful lobbies and unions? If it really is about 'the child,' why do they throw lawyers at the government every time vouchers are suggested, at the detriment of a child in a failing school system?

Public education has become a money pit, and if it was private, it's a bad investment. It has become the tail wagging the dog, unions enabled to protect bad actors.

I get that there are good teachers (as in teachers who teach well, as well as teachers who are good people). It's not their fault the system is what it is.

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 12:44
So for instance, sex education at even kindergarten, hasn't had anything to do with the rise of promiscuity, teen pregnancies, sexting, things of that nature? Teaching kids about evolution hasn't had an effect on their outlook? They've just been brushing that off?

I would say no. I don’t have any data on this, but I would venture that these are secular reactions in response to a growing, preexisting problem. Sex education came after the rise of promiscuity and the increase of STDs, namely the AIDS crisis.

In the case of evolution, I can name one case, Jeffery Dahmer, who actually said, “If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then—then what's the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges?,” Dahmer told Stone Phillips during a Dateline NBC conversation. "That's how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all just came from the slime. When we, when we died, you know, that was it, there is nothing.”

But this is a small sample.

On the other hand, who really has the power? Politicians? No. Teachers? No. Parents? No. According to Andrew Fletcher:

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”

It’s the radio, TV, internet. It’s pop culture.

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey, teachers, leave them kids alone
All in all it's just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

Pink Floyd was probably far more influential in our nation’s distrust of its educational system.

Think of the other song lyrics kids are listening to these days. How about the Black Eyed Peas?

They say I'm really sexy
The boys they wanna sex me
They always standin' next to me
Always dancin' next to me
Tryin' a feel my hump hump
Lookin' at my lump lump

(And this is pretty tame)

TomMcC
08-11-20, 13:14
I would say no. I don’t have any data on this, but I would venture that these are secular reactions in response to a growing, preexisting problem. Sex education came after the rise of promiscuity and the increase of STDs, namely the AIDS crisis.

In the case of evolution, I can name one case, Jeffery Dahmer, who actually said, “If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then—then what's the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges?,” Dahmer told Stone Phillips during a Dateline NBC conversation. "That's how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all just came from the slime. When we, when we died, you know, that was it, there is nothing.”

But this is a small sample.

On the other hand, who really has the power? Politicians? No. Teachers? No. Parents? No. According to Andrew Fletcher:

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”

It’s the radio, TV, internet. It’s pop culture.

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey, teachers, leave them kids alone
All in all it's just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

Pink Floyd was probably far more influential in our nation’s distrust of its educational system.

Think of the other song lyrics kids are listening to these days. How about the Black Eyed Peas?

They say I'm really sexy
The boys they wanna sex me
They always standin' next to me
Always dancin' next to me
Tryin' a feel my hump hump
Lookin' at my lump lump

(And this is pretty tame)

If the schools and teachers really have no effect, then why do you do it?

So the institution of sex ed had no real agenda other than "we'll just help the little boys and girls stay healthy"? I think chuckman is much closer to the truth.

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 14:22
If the schools and teachers really have no effect, then why do you do it?

So the institution of sex ed had no real agenda other than "we'll just help the little boys and girls stay healthy"? I think chuckman is much closer to the truth.

Effect on what? I never said I nor my colleagues were bad at teaching our respective content areas. I am quite successful at teaching kids Spanish, which I enjoy immensely.

I’m not a health teacher nor am I necessarily contracted to instill moral values in my students. My own philosophy is that my job is to teach students how to think, not what to think.

However, I do want what I believe is best for my kids, so when Amare asked me if you can get an STD from having oral sex, I am quite frank, open and honest with him and the class and I don’t shy away from answering such topics. I’m hoping this kid made good choices in light of getting the straight truth. Last time I saw the girl he was “dating” at the time, she was pregnant (but not by him).

TomMcC
08-11-20, 14:59
Effect on what? I never said I nor my colleagues were bad at teaching our respective content areas. I am quite successful at teaching kids Spanish, which I enjoy immensely.

I’m not a health teacher nor am I necessarily contracted to instill moral values in my students. My own philosophy is that my job is to teach students how to think, not what to think.

However, I do want what I believe is best for my kids, so when Amare asked me if you can get an STD from having oral sex, I am quite frank, open and honest with him and the class and I don’t shy away from answering such topics. I’m hoping this kid made good choices in light of getting the straight truth. Last time I saw the girl he was “dating” at the time, she was pregnant (but not by him).

I'm a little confused now. So, teachers are effective at teaching 2+2=4, but aren't really effective at teaching anything related to morality? So things like the truth that homosexually, or sex outside of marriage are really ok or that climate change and molecules to man evolution are just some of the ineffective subjects that are taught? So, zero tolerance policies that punish a 6 yr old boy for making a finger gun are ineffective. Or teaching 5,6, and 7 year olds about anything at all about sex are really not about what is moral or not?

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 15:35
I'm a little confused now. So, teachers are effective at teaching 2+2=4, but aren't really effective at teaching anything related to morality? So things like the truth that homosexually, or sex outside of marriage are really ok or that climate change and molecules to man evolution are just some of the ineffective subjects that are taught? So, zero tolerance policies that punish a 6 yr old boy for making a finger gun are ineffective. Or teaching 5,6, and 7 year olds about anything at all about sex are really not about what is moral or not?

I think it’s far more complicated than the way you are caricaturing it. Tom, you and I agree on most things theologically, but I can’t just walk into my classroom and start preaching the gospel (at least overtly).

We’re talking public schools. The public is coming in. The American public is no longer a homogeneous Protestant-ish, English speaking society with largely American patriotic values. I have no say in who I teach. You have to come to terms with this regardless of whether you like it or not.

Yes, my profession is filled with extremely frustrating things like 6 YO boys getting punished for finger guns. It gets worse, man, but I don’t feel like writing it all down. I would say that most teachers are appalled by such ridiculousness, but nobody wants to listen to the teachers. It’s a top down system. It sucks. But by in large it’s not the teachers’ fault. We make do with what we’re given. Those that can’t hack it, leave.

TomMcC
08-11-20, 15:37
When it comes to culture being an important influencer of children...I agree. So then I will ask are schools immune to culture? Do teachers bring to class their attitudes and views about life and culture to the class room? If

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-11-20, 16:48
My wife is a career teacher, she's also a closet libertarian who knows that she'd be ostracized and even let go if her political beliefs are exposed.

Her district had a townhall livestreamed last night. The lefty rabble-rouser teacher from her school had to be physically removed from the meeting, and many other teachers spoke on how they are the "sacrificial lambs", are being killed by COVID, etc etc. She absolutely cannot stand her whiny coworkers and is just ready to get back to work. Sadly, they are doing everything they can to prevent that.

When COVID hit, teachers cried and cried about how they are "essential workers" but that no one views them as such. Suddenly, when they become essential workers, they are crying even harder about how they deserve to stay home, get paid the same for half the work, etc. Bunch of damn babies.

Honu
08-11-20, 17:06
%90 of teachers or more are far left and not teaching what they should be but what they want/feel most of which are lies about sexes about science about political issues about history etc.. math for the most part is math but the muslims invented algebra lie is being taught of course

even if %10 of cops are bad that is still the opposite of what you are saying

show me where the conservative riots are happening over getting rid of schools ? again opposite of what you are saying is happening

education system is a mess and it has created today's mess that is why you see so many pulling out and homeschooling which oddly like you are against anyone standing up it seems !

I am not saying YOU are a bad teacher but the fact you say this is like the defund LEO movement shows sadly a ignorance or bias view that seems to be what teachers do ? compare two things not alike then call them alike to make your side the victim

HEY KIDS did you know there are 87 dif sexes !!!! we only teach REAL SCIENCE remember man made climate change is REAL and now go have sex with each other experiment with each other
(as is being taught in many grade schools today)

good recent example of teachers and I am sure you agree this guy should be fired and any and all education lic be pulled for ever just watch the first part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPJ1s3fLoY&t=163s

cancel culture brought to you buy school system

is it more colleges ? maybe but what is the prep for college :) AHHHHH see the root issue its get them ready for college in the k-12 public education system indoctrinate them all the way

because if they were PREPPED PROPERLY for college and taught real facts issues etc.. they would not be a minion as they are today

glad you love it hope what you are teaching is good and not saying get out but the system needs to change big time as its failing by proof of what we are seeing today

Averageman
08-11-20, 17:44
When it comes to culture being an important influencer of children...I agree. So then I will ask are schools immune to culture? Do teachers bring to class their attitudes and views about life and culture to the class room? If

Yes they do.
They have Unions that back candidates and donate money to Democrats.
Maybe they don't all have left leaning views, but having done the job, I have seen the stuff go on, and oh does it go on.
When I left the job to no small degree because of the Liberal bias on the job.
I still had a kid in school and when my Son got a lesser grade for choosing Andrew Jackson as his favorite President, that was the limit for me.
Saying it isn't so, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't so.

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 17:52

Absolutely teachers bring in their own attitudes and views about life and culture. How can they not? I do. Barring the most extreme examples, I would argue that it is quite healthy for your children to be around teachers of an array of backgrounds, assuming the parents are proactive and involved in their child’s education so that they can counteract any of the nonsense that they may encounter. School should prepare students for life’s challenges. They need to be able to deal with people they don’t necessarily agree with as adults. I would even argue that it’s healthy for students to have a few bad teachers along the way. How many of us have and it prepared us to deal with incompetent bosses and supervisors?

Shielding your child from everyone that has an opposing viewpoint is at the heart of cancel culture, isn’t it?

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 18:06
Yes they do.
They have Unions that back candidates and donate money to Democrats.
Maybe they don't all have left leaning views, but having done the job, I have seen the stuff go on, and oh does it go on.
When I left the job to no small degree because of the Liberal bias on the job.
I still had a kid in school and when my Son got a lesser grade for choosing Andrew Jackson as his favorite President, that was the limit for me.
Saying it isn't so, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't so.

That’s rough man. I’m sorry you left. We had a teacher in my school that announced during one of his classes something to the effect that “If you support Trump, you’re an idiot.” My principal, even though I’m pretty sure is a Democrat, dealt with the situation quite fairly.

Averageman
08-11-20, 18:13
I'm not sorry, best decision I ever made when it comes to working in a bad environment.

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 18:16
I'm not sorry, best decision I ever made when it comes to working in a bad environment.

Not that you should be, but I’m sorry whenever I see good teachers leave the profession.

TomMcC
08-11-20, 21:29
Absolutely teachers bring in their own attitudes and views about life and culture. How can they not? I do. Barring the most extreme examples, I would argue that it is quite healthy for your children to be around teachers of an array of backgrounds, assuming the parents are proactive and involved in their child’s education so that they can counteract any of the nonsense that they may encounter. School should prepare students for life’s challenges. They need to be able to deal with people they don’t necessarily agree with as adults. I would even argue that it’s healthy for students to have a few bad teachers along the way. How many of us have and it prepared us to deal with incompetent bosses and supervisors?

Shielding your child from everyone that has an opposing viewpoint is at the heart of cancel culture, isn’t it?

Shielding my child depends on their age and my view of their ability to handle disagreeable people. My children were homeschooled by their mother, but if for instance they were in a public school and age 5, and a teacher wanted to teach them something about sex, I would be highly inclined to do more than just shield them. Introduction to adults and their sometimes vile ideas just scandalizes children IMO. I was put here to teach them a different way and to, so to speak, ease them into a hostile world.

Cold/Bore
08-11-20, 21:53
Shielding my child depends on their age and my view of their ability to handle disagreeable people. My children were homeschooled by their mother, but if for instance they were in a public school and age 5, and a teacher wanted to teach them something about sex, I would be highly inclined to do more than just shield them. Introduction to adults and their sometimes vile ideas just scandalizes children IMO. I was put here to teach them a different way and to, so to speak, ease them into a hostile world.

I agree wholeheartedly. I would also do the same if my five year old was in the same situation.

Honestly, though, both my wife and I are far more inclined to want to shield our child from the other students in the class than the teacher. My wife was a kindergarten and first grade teacher for a number of years here before we had our son. It’s appalling to hear about how some parents are raising their kids. She would see bad behavior spread from from these kids to normal, well adjusted and socialized students like a virus. Not to mention how poorly the admin would handle these kids and practically let them get away with murder.

We are seriously considering homeschooling our own kid not to keep him away from bad teachers but the bad apples in class. A lot will depend on what school we can get him into.

Averageman
08-12-20, 07:42
https://www.westernjournal.com/teacher-worries-parents-might-find-teaching-children-hiding/http://
We know at least one teacher is bothered by virtual learning, as classroom activities conducted online now can bring unexpected or unwanted audience members, some of whom are parents.
In one volley of Twitter posts, Matthew R. Kay, a teacher at the Science Leadership Academy, a magnet public high school in Philadelphia, demonstrated why so many parents have reservations about sending their children to schools.
“So, this fall, virtual class discussions will have many potential spectators – parents, siblings, etc. – in the same room. We’ll never be quite sure who is overhearing the discourse. What does this do for our equity/inclusion work?” Kay wrote on Twitter.
“How much have students depended on the (somewhat) secure barriers of our physical classrooms to encourage vulnerability? How many of us have installed some version of “what happens here stays here” to help this?” he continued.
“While conversations about race are in my wheelhouse, and remain a concern in this no-walls environment – I am most intrigued by the damage that ‘helicopter/snowplow’ parents can do in honest conversations about gender/sexuality…”
“And while ‘conservative’ parents are my chief concern – I know that the damage can come from the left too. If we are engaged in the messy work of destabilizing a kids racism or homophobia or transphobia – how much do we want their classmates’ parents piling on?” he concluded.
A biography for Kay describes him as a “proud product of Philadelphia’s public schools and a founding teacher at Science Leadership Academy.” Kay also speaks to middle and high school students and “deeply believes in the importance of earnest and mindful classroom conversations about race.”

Cold/Bore
08-12-20, 08:23
https://www.westernjournal.com/teacher-worries-parents-might-find-teaching-children-hiding/http://
We know at least one teacher is bothered by virtual learning, as classroom activities conducted online now can bring unexpected or unwanted audience members, some of whom are parents.
In one volley of Twitter posts, Matthew R. Kay, a teacher at the Science Leadership Academy, a magnet public high school in Philadelphia, demonstrated why so many parents have reservations about sending their children to schools.
“So, this fall, virtual class discussions will have many potential spectators – parents, siblings, etc. – in the same room. We’ll never be quite sure who is overhearing the discourse. What does this do for our equity/inclusion work?” Kay wrote on Twitter.
“How much have students depended on the (somewhat) secure barriers of our physical classrooms to encourage vulnerability? How many of us have installed some version of “what happens here stays here” to help this?” he continued.
“While conversations about race are in my wheelhouse, and remain a concern in this no-walls environment – I am most intrigued by the damage that ‘helicopter/snowplow’ parents can do in honest conversations about gender/sexuality…”
“And while ‘conservative’ parents are my chief concern – I know that the damage can come from the left too. If we are engaged in the messy work of destabilizing a kids racism or homophobia or transphobia – how much do we want their classmates’ parents piling on?” he concluded.
A biography for Kay describes him as a “proud product of Philadelphia’s public schools and a founding teacher at Science Leadership Academy.” Kay also speaks to middle and high school students and “deeply believes in the importance of earnest and mindful classroom conversations about race.”

Reading an article like this, even though it says “we know of at least one teacher...” I can understand why people get the impression that 90% of teachers are left wing nut jobs.

I can give you an example of at least one colleague who swings left who things the whole gender fluidity issue is bunk. Is that enough to counteract this example and restore your faith in our public school teachers. Probably not. The MSM carries so much weight, even though we’re seeing such a small sample size.

I don’t necessarily want to downplay any of you personal experiences but I’m not seeing any legitimate data being posted by those skeptical of public school teachers to warrant their feelings of mistrust. Sample sizes of one like in this case don’t warrant throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Averageman
08-12-20, 08:37
Well I offered a couple of personal experiences my Son and I had at our local High School and this is considered a very conservative area.
So, I'm a bit perplexed as to how you've missed out on Teachers saying they aren't going back to teach until after Covid-19 or now the "Liberal Bias" that a lot of Teachers bring to the Classroom.
I'm watching the News as I write and I'm seeing a Georgia High School that's now worried about Covid-19 after reopening. The Picture shown with the story shows a crowded hallway, students elbow to elbow and not a mask in sight. Wonder why this happens? Do you think because the Teachers and the Union don't hate Trump and don"t want to reopen, maybe they just stir the petrie plate and they will be home until Christmas and be headed home until then by Friday?
We were a much better Country when we kept the sex ed, racial harmony and sexual orientation out of the classroom and taught STEM, that's what got us to the Moon after all

Averageman
08-12-20, 09:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6GUOCeLwfc
The objective?

Whiskey_Bravo
08-12-20, 09:48
I’m a public school teacher. I’ve not heard of anyone wanting to go on strike at least in my area. I find it odd that I have not heard of any of this at all until I read it on M4C.net. No sources cited. Is this for real?

Short of you not watching the news or viewing any news online for the past couple of months I find it very hard to believe this is the first you have heard of it.

All from July, first stories that come up if you google teachers threaten to strike.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/28/americas-second-largest-teachers-union-threatens-to-strike-if-safety-measures-are-inadequate/#40f186754bd5

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/28/aft-strikes-school-reopening-384133

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/teacher-union-strike-threat-coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/us/teacher-union-school-reopening-coronavirus.html

https://www.reformaustin.org/coronavirus/texas-teachers-union-may-strike-covid-19-precautions/

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/teachers-back-to-school-protests.html

Cold/Bore
08-12-20, 10:02
Short of you not watching the news or viewing any news online for the past couple of months I find it very hard to believe this is the first you have heard of it.

All from July, first stories that come up if you google teachers threaten to strike.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/28/americas-second-largest-teachers-union-threatens-to-strike-if-safety-measures-are-inadequate/#40f186754bd5

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/28/aft-strikes-school-reopening-384133

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/teacher-union-strike-threat-coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/us/teacher-union-school-reopening-coronavirus.html

https://www.reformaustin.org/coronavirus/texas-teachers-union-may-strike-covid-19-precautions/

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/teachers-back-to-school-protests.html

This is exactly the case. I don’t watch TV. But being that I work in education this leads me to believe that the news you’re watching is distorted. They’re cherry picking the sources for the most dramatic stories. They have to sell you a story. The more outrageous, the better.

It’s all about making money and selling advertising space.

There is a saying: “There there’s no truth in news and no news in truth.”

Averageman
08-12-20, 10:22
This is exactly the case. I don’t watch TV. But being that I work in education this leads me to believe that the news you’re watching is distorted. They’re cherry picking the sources for the most dramatic stories. They have to sell you a story. The more outrageous, the better.

I'm hoping you stay informed somehow, that's kind of important, otherwise you get a distorted blinders on kind of world view. Denying what all of us are seeing and coming in to this thread blind doesn't look real good for you.
That's like saying I don't read, but I'm pretty sure Shakespeare was a talent less hack and really only in it for the money isn't it?

Whiskey_Bravo
08-12-20, 10:32

So you don't keep up with any current events because everything is distorted so you don't believe it? I listed sources from everything from Fox to New York publications to Forbes. You asked for sources and I provided multiple from different major news organizations and then you say sources don't count. Ok.

flenna
08-12-20, 10:39
Simple- no workee no payee.

Cold/Bore
08-12-20, 10:55
So you don't keep up with any current events because everything is distorted so you don't believe it? I listed sources from everything from Fox to New York publications to Forbes. You asked for sources and I provided multiple from different major news organizations and then you say sources don't count. Ok.

Please don’t treat me like a straw man. I said I don’t watch TV. I never said I don’t keep up with current events.

I did not ask for sources, I asked for data. For example, could you cite some polls or studies that show that “x% of the nation’s public teacher say that they want to strike because of Covid 19.”

My bottom line is, in my opinion, reality does not align with what is being portrayed in the news.

Averageman
08-12-20, 11:35
And your sources are?

Cold/Bore
08-12-20, 11:53
And your sources are?

I did post some data to support my position on some things I was challenged on earlier. What would you like to see?

I am willing to concede I am wrong. Perhaps far more public school teachers are worthless/public schools are absolute failures as is the general consensus here on this thread than I had originally thought.

Honestly, I was blindsided by all the hating on teachers by the members of this forum. It is quite disconcerting. I can certainly empathize with police officers who have been the public whipping boys of left wing media outlets.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-12-20, 13:13
Please don’t treat me like a straw man. I said I don’t watch TV. I never said I don’t keep up with current events.

I did not ask for sources, I asked for data. For example, could you cite some polls or studies that show that “x% of the nation’s public teacher say that they want to strike because of Covid 19.”

My bottom line is, in my opinion, reality does not align with what is being portrayed in the news.

No straw man. Great you don't watch TV, you are probably better off for it. The links I provided were from major online news publications, not TV segments. You don't need data or polls when there are articles stating that teachers unions are threatening to strike. If the union calls for a strike there is a very good chance that the majority of it's members will abide. History tells us that.

ddbtoth
08-12-20, 17:30
I have 5-6 teachers with medical issues that are allowed to work from home. Coincidentally they are also my weakest teachers. 25 others are back on campus, getting set up for virtual learning, which for the 1st 3 weeks of school, is all we can do. The at home teachers can’t do case management for the Spec Ed kids, so my teachers who are coming too school have to pick up their slack. When all this crap is over, my home based useless teachers come back after whatever time paid Vacation, and the teachers who are humping it will be exhausted for carrying their load. I lose more good staff 5his way, can’t get rid of the crap.

Cold/Bore
08-12-20, 19:48
I have 5-6 teachers with medical issues that are allowed to work from home. Coincidentally they are also my weakest teachers. 25 others are back on campus, getting set up for virtual learning, which for the 1st 3 weeks of school, is all we can do. The at home teachers can’t do case management for the Spec Ed kids, so my teachers who are coming too school have to pick up their slack. When all this crap is over, my home based useless teachers come back after whatever time paid Vacation, and the teachers who are humping it will be exhausted for carrying their load. I lose more good staff 5his way, can’t get rid of the crap.

That’s rough. You must be admin. I’ve always been curious at what exactly it would take to get rid of a bad teacher. In my State we no longer have tenure, but I don’t see the new system taking care of the riffraff.

Jellybean
08-13-20, 02:35

For some reason that link went to a completely different article.
I had to search for the article, so here is the link to the tweets from the article just in case it happens to anyone else;
https://archive.fo/Vgww5#selection-4115.168-4115.202

In case that disappears, here's a decent video overview of the actual tweets screenshotted.
Although there was also an interesting bit of commentary in there about how, absent the influence of the school system, some kids who had "transitioned" (genders) were over it and back to normal.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/d5W7UcQre4k/

On the same topic of school brainwashing and schools/teachers promoting leftist ideas in their 'curriculum', Sargon had a good overview of the BLM school documents that got leaked, if nobody here has heard of that yet.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/jyRjbK-yKSk/

Reading an article like this, even though it says “we know of at least one teacher...” I can understand why people get the impression that 90% of teachers are left wing nut jobs.

I can give you an example of at least one colleague who swings left who things the whole gender fluidity issue is bunk. Is that enough to counteract this example and restore your faith in our public school teachers. Probably not. The MSM carries so much weight, even though we’re seeing such a small sample size.

I don’t necessarily want to downplay any of you personal experiences but I’m not seeing any legitimate data being posted by those skeptical of public school teachers to warrant their feelings of mistrust. Sample sizes of one like in this case don’t warrant throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Fair enough. But maybe instead read that as "we know of at least one teacher...who mis-spoke and let the mask slip today..."

I can't claim to be an expert on this, but after watching this topic for years along with everything else, I've seen the increasing promotion of ideas like 'all teachers must be activists' and occasionally seeing screenshots people have taken of textbook content, news stories from various sites covering (and often lauding) the amazingly loony actions/ideas of some teachers, among other past stories/events. I also know a few people who are teachers; one who is just an "average middle of the road" type, one sort of center/right, and another who jumped off the cliff with the rest of the lefties. So I mean, I get your idea of it being a bit more of a mixed bag than news stories alone would seem to portray.
I think they may have gotten toasted on an old hard drive, but I used to save news articles here and there about this stuff, and it went back a few years. I will try to find the file and post a couple of the old stories, if I can.
But I guess my counter-point is, take the continuous news reports going back years, textbook leaks, and personal experiences over several years and multiply that by current events, and you can make a pretty solid guesstimate of what's going on. The 'legitimate data' IS out there, it's just in a lot smaller pieces and a lot less noticed because it's not "big news" unless it's something really crazy like these tweets.

Esq.
08-13-20, 08:12
In Texas they have been ordered back to classrooms. If they strike, don't show etc...they will probably get fired. There is already a strong Voucher movement in the state, teachers f Around on this and people will DEMAND that they be given the money and put in charge of their kids education. Kids will be schooled online, at small private and religious schools etc....Teachers better figure this out quick.

jpmuscle
08-13-20, 08:25

I’m convinced work from home Tehe-teach is the new government equivalent of teleworking... and an absolute scam.

chuckman
08-13-20, 08:27
Honestly, I was blindsided by all the hating on teachers by the members of this forum. It is quite disconcerting. I can certainly empathize with police officers who have been the public whipping boys of left wing media outlets.

I abhor the public education industry. But I like to think I can separate that from the teachers, and I try to not throw the baby out with the bath water. A million threads ago you compared the "bad teachers" (my words) with "bad cops" as a fraction of the profession. I think that is largely true; but I think that fraction makes the most noise and garners the most attention.

"Back in my day" I don't recall having any teachers pushing any specific agenda (or being punitive for any students' agenda). In college I had a couple, but there was a line they never crossed. I had some bad teachers; I mean, they just could not teach. And I had some exceptional teacher, inspiring and motivating. We homeschool, but my second oldest is now in college, and he has definitely had teachers pushing specific agendas.

Esq.
08-13-20, 08:35
I abhor the public education industry. But I like to think I can separate that from the teachers, and I try to not throw the baby out with the bath water. A million threads ago you compared the "bad teachers" (my words) with "bad cops" as a fraction of the profession. I think that is largely true; but I think that fraction makes the most noise and garners the most attention.

"Back in my day" I don't recall having any teachers pushing any specific agenda (or being punitive for any students' agenda). In college I had a couple, but there was a line they never crossed. I had some bad teachers; I mean, they just could not teach. And I had some exceptional teacher, inspiring and motivating. We homeschool, but my second oldest is now in college, and he has definitely had teachers pushing specific agendas.

I have two sons in college right now and there is no question that there are agenda driven "teachers". Since both of my sons had a private, religious school, k-5 experience and attended very conservative Middle and High Schools, along with involved parents etc... they see it for what it is.

My oldest was absolutely dead set on going to the most Liberal Public University in the state, we went round and round about it as he could have gone pretty much anywhere. He graduated from there in 3 years and if anything, it strengthened his convictions but it could have gone the other way. He got in trouble his Freshman year and nearly got disciplined by the University for a Young Conservatives bake sale that made Headlines in USA TODAY, proud of him. Would have sued the ever loving shit out of them and had National Think Tank Lawyers lined up to do it....which, I think they knew and let it slide for that very reason....

chuckman
08-13-20, 08:49
I have two sons in college right now and there is no question that there are agenda driven "teachers". Since both of my sons had a private, religious school, k-5 experience and attended very conservative Middle and High Schools, along with involved parents etc... they see it for what it is.

My oldest was absolutely dead set on going to the most Liberal Public University in the state, we went round and round about it as he could have gone pretty much anywhere. He graduated from there in 3 years and if anything, it strengthened his convictions but it could have gone the other way. He got in trouble his Freshman year and nearly got disciplined by the University for a Young Conservatives bake sale that made Headlines in USA TODAY, proud of him. Would have sued the ever loving shit out of them and had National Think Tank Lawyers lined up to do it....which, I think they knew and let it slide for that very reason....

Our stipulation for college is that they have to live at home and commute. We have three options within 40 miles: Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State. State is generally more conservative, but not by much. My second oldest is doing his gen ed at the local community college and will transfer to one of those three (at 15 scored well enough on the ACT to go anywhere). He's extremely conservative, but he is mouthy. We're working on that. I can absolutely see him getting in trouble.

Esq.
08-13-20, 09:01
Our stipulation for college is that they have to live at home and commute. We have three options within 40 miles: Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State. State is generally more conservative, but not by much. My second oldest is doing his gen ed at the local community college and will transfer to one of those three (at 15 scored well enough on the ACT to go anywhere). He's extremely conservative, but he is mouthy. We're working on that. I can absolutely see him getting in trouble.

Lol, describes my youngest to a TEE- smart, conservative, irreverent and MOUTHY as Hell!

There's "trouble" and then theirs TROUBLE. I was proud of my oldest for standing up for what he believed in and we would have backed him until our guts fell out! We contacted a national conservative think tank known for suing schools over Campus Free Speech issues etc....right away and they were willing to take the case. The University blinked.....

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/us/university-bake-sale-trnd/index.html

chuckman
08-13-20, 09:20
Lol, describes my youngest to a TEE- smart, conservative, irreverent and MOUTHY as Hell!

There's "trouble" and then theirs TROUBLE. I was proud of my oldest for standing up for what he believed in and we would have backed him until our guts fell out! We contacted a national conservative think tank known for suing schools over Campus Free Speech issues etc....right away and they were willing to take the case. The University blinked.....

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/us/university-bake-sale-trnd/index.html

I just read that article, that is awesome! Talk about logic and emotion butting heads....

Cold/Bore
08-13-20, 09:39

I also abhor the education industry. We spend more money in the US on education than any nation in the world. A lot of it has to go to companies leaching off the industry.

I’m not going to sit around and complain about not getting paid enough. I do recognize that I work about 185 days a year. Most of you working stiffs do about 260, that’s a 30% difference. I work 30% less time than a professional with a similar education and probably make 30% less money. However, if adjusted for inflation teacher salaries in my state have been steadily declining since the 90s. I don’t have the exact figures but it is really significant.

Where is all the money going? I would suggest teacher quality is declining because it is getting harder and harder to attract people into the profession. There is hard data on this. I anticipate a the teacher shortage crisis to only get worse.

BTW, for me to teach Spanish here is what I need: whiteboard, laser pointer and a classroom. No expensive textbooks are need nor costly tech. I am the textbook. I create 95% of all my materials.

Grand58742
08-13-20, 09:40
In Texas they have been ordered back to classrooms. If they strike, don't show etc...they will probably get fired. There is already a strong Voucher movement in the state, teachers f Around on this and people will DEMAND that they be given the money and put in charge of their kids education. Kids will be schooled online, at small private and religious schools etc....Teachers better figure this out quick.

Funny thing. Up here in OK a few of the school boards have talked about the whole "virtual" environment being "necessary for the safety of the children" and was supported by a lot of teachers. Same thing happened with a couple of the collegiate institutions as well.

Until they were reminded that virtual environment teaching requires less teachers and jobs would probably be lost as a result. They suddenly stopped pushing so hard on it.

ddbtoth
08-13-20, 17:46
I’ve been in Tx schools for over 30 years, and fully support this, as long as everyone who gets public money adheres to the same rules (especially regarding issues surrounding expulsion- charter schools and private school can and do run off the disruptive students, public schools can’t) and these kids are not there for the education, and they know there is little the districts can do about it. We have some of 5he best teachers money can buy, and they quit because no one controls the kids.

JediGuy
08-13-20, 22:49
I’ve never been sure why I see public school people complaining that private schools don’t have to take the “bad kids.” Limited first hand observation and strong second hand confirmation was that the worst kids got kicked out of the public schools and put into the local Catholic schools.

Averageman
08-14-20, 09:10
I’ve never been sure why I see public school people complaining that private schools don’t have to take the “bad kids.” Limited first hand observation and strong second hand confirmation was that the worst kids got kicked out of the public schools and put into the local Catholic schools.

Here in my little Central Texas town they use a thing called "in School Suspension" that way the trouble makers are shoved out in a trailer behind the school for 'X" amount of days and all work must be completed so the tactic is to wait until the last minute, then dump a couple of weeks worth of assignments to keep them in ISS another week or so.
When I taught I refused to call it ISS and instead refereed to it as "FFA" Future Felons of America. Literally you can look at the ISS kids to graduate to Huntsville Prison and that is No exaggeration. Graduation to Prison in four years or less.
Do they need the money so much that they are willing to ruin everyone else's education by warehousing these miscreants until they are forced through the system?

ddbtoth
08-14-20, 13:36
Here in my little Central Texas town they use a thing called "in School Suspension" that way the trouble makers are shoved out in a trailer behind the school for 'X" amount of days and all work must be completed so the tactic is to wait until the last minute, then dump a couple of weeks worth of assignments to keep them in ISS another week or so.
When I taught I refused to call it ISS and instead refereed to it as "FFA" Future Felons of America. Literally you can look at the ISS kids to graduate to Huntsville Prison and that is No exaggeration. Graduation to Prison in four years or less.
Do they need the money so much that they are willing to ruin everyone else's education by warehousing these miscreants until they are forced through the system?
Yes to the money- and yes to the lawyers that keep the FFA in school because they are "handicapped" (BTW- guess who pays for the parent's lawyers to keep the special snowflake in school?).
I am so glad to be at the point of retirement.

Cold/Bore
08-14-20, 14:16
Yes to the money- and yes to the lawyers that keep the FFA in school because they are "handicapped" (BTW- guess who pays for the parent's lawyers to keep the special snowflake in school?).
I am so glad to be at the point of retirement.

It’s fun to listen to the veteran teachers and administrators talk about how teaching used to be 25-30 years ago. Seemed like teaching was quite an enjoyable profession in comparison. I really don’t know any better. I started teaching in 2007. Things were already nutty.

The FFAs are really toxic to the learning environment and unfortunately, ISS is the only reasonable solution in the current system, but it is not in the best solution for anybody, especially for the troubled student. If we could “take the gloves off” and really deal with these kids like men, we could really turn lives around. All the red tape meant to protect children is a two edge sword that creates the future felons.

ndmiller
08-14-20, 16:39
Our schools are virtual and we weren't risking the kids on the zero plan in our area. Next county over opened was on the national news and is now shut down and virtual while everyone quarantines. Religious private schools went back this week and will be closed down by the end of next week I would think.

Parents are still sending their kids to school sick or while they await the results of a Covid test......DUH. Not the time to pump your kid with advil to get the fever down and send them to school.

ddbtoth
08-14-20, 19:37
It’s fun to listen to the veteran teachers and administrators talk about how teaching used to be 25-30 years ago. Seemed like teaching was quite an enjoyable profession in comparison. I really don’t know any better. I started teaching in 2007. Things were already nutty.

The FFAs are really toxic to the learning environment and unfortunately, ISS is the only reasonable solution in the current system, but it is not in the best solution for anybody, especially for the troubled student. If we could “take the gloves off” and really deal with these kids like men, we could really turn lives around. All the red tape meant to protect children is a two edge sword that creates the future felons.
One of my kids was killed this week- long history of discipline issues, attendance, no grades. Him and his buddy, who is still alive, but will be getting coloring books for All future Xmas, Stuck their noses in someone’s business and got lit up. Every single crappy poor black Cultural stereotype was in play. I knew these kids in third grade, and knew then they were done for. 15-16 years old, learning the real hard way.

Cold/Bore
08-14-20, 20:24
One of my kids was killed this week- long history of discipline issues, attendance, no grades. Him and his buddy, who is still alive, but will be getting coloring books for All future Xmas, Stuck their noses in someone’s business and got lit up. Every single crappy poor black Cultural stereotype was in play. I knew these kids in third grade, and knew then they were done for. 15-16 years old, learning the real hard way.

So sorry to hear that. I’ve lost 2 kids over the course of my professional career. Desmond was a great kid. Both parents were military. But, he was hanging out with with José, one of the worst kids I’ve ever had to deal with. In the park late at night, and José got them involved with the wrong people and Desmond got gunned down. José is now in jail (for other crimes).

I wish we could have gotten rid of José long before he could make friends with Desmond. Toxic students don’t just bring student achievement down.

The other kid was playing Russian roulette with his daddy’s revolver. Think he had issues with depression, but otherwise a nice kid.

The_War_Wagon
08-14-20, 20:59
Da' Union can't AFFORD to have kids being homeschooled, learning REAL science, REAL math, REAL history and the like - it'd be the end of the MIS-ejumakayshun monopoly!!! :eek:

Frankie, Tic-Tac, Three Fingers Vinnie and Rocco will get out there, and keep dem teachers IN-LINE... :big_boss:

https://i.ibb.co/P1Rp28q/da-UNION.jpg

Evel Baldgui
08-15-20, 13:25
I'm not a teacher in the Elem-HS category, and no longer have any children in a public school system, so no 'dog in this fight'. My wife is friendly with 3 teachers in our community. Two are elementary, the third is a middle school instructor. Granted a small sample, but the attitude most likely is quite prevalent. None wish to return to school. They all cite CoVid concerns, for themselves, not the students. I commented that workers at the local supermarket, Target, Walmart, Home Depot, auto dealerships, Urgent care centers, etc are all in daily contact with a larger number and greater variety of people, without issue, they had no counter to my comments. They are basically enjoying staying home doing the absolute minimal online contact with students while continuing to get full pay and benefits. Essentially just abusing the 'system' at taxpayer expense. My neice has two young elementary school age children who attend private school, same situation, they removed them and placed them in the public school; why bother paying 25-30k /yr for bs online 'teaching' without the benefits of in house instruction and the after school sporting and social events.
Let the teachers strike, let them stay home, let them be replaced entirely by specific home school specialized instructors. The hidden 'benefit' of covid may be bringing to light a revision of the education system and the elimination of a great number of indolent, ineffectual, 'teachurs'.

DG23
08-15-20, 19:37
Grandmother was a HS teacher in a city near here for many, many years. Learned quite a bit listening to her stories as I was growing up.

One story in particular that she had told us many times over the years barely made it into the news here recently and then talk of it seemed to quickly go away. School system caught passing kids that didn't really pass or do any of the work.

The way granny explained it years ago was that if she had to fail more than a certain number of kids for simply refusing to even try to do any of the work at all she would get a call to the principals office and chewed out about how she can't do that or else she is getting canned. Granny swore up and down that it was all about the money. (the school system not getting paid for failure)

Averageman
08-16-20, 12:45
http://https://news.trust.org/item/20200815014105-o3yue
An Arizona school district that ignored state safety guidelines and voted to begin in-person learning on Aug. 17 has had to cancel classes after staff said it was unsafe to return and called in sick.
Greater Phoenix's J.O. Combs Unified School District cancelled all instruction for Monday due to "insufficient staffing," days after its board disregarded state benchmarks on when students can safely return to classes during the pandemic.
The "sick out" underlined the difficulties in returning to in-person learning in the United States after schools in Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama closed this week as students and staff were infected with COVID-19 or forced to self-isolate from exposure.
"We have received an overwhelming response from staff indicating that they do not feel safe returning to classrooms with students," J.O. Combs District Superintendent Gregory Wyman said in a statement, adding that he did not know when in-person learning would resume.

I am not sure what to think of all of this, for folks that had Nine Months to come up with a plan, this seems to have fallen apart immediately.
Being that this is all happening weeks from an election, I have some opinions as to what this is and that's some pretty ugly thoughts.

Evel Baldgui
08-16-20, 15:04
An Arizona school district that ignored state safety guidelines and voted to begin in-person learning on Aug. 17 has had to cancel classes after staff said it was unsafe to return and called in sick.
Greater Phoenix's J.O. Combs Unified School District cancelled all instruction for Monday due to "insufficient staffing," days after its board disregarded state benchmarks on when students can safely return to classes during the pandemic.
The "sick out" underlined the difficulties in returning to in-person learning in the United States after schools in Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama closed this week as students and staff were infected with COVID-19 or forced to self-isolate from exposure.
"We have received an overwhelming response from staff indicating that they do not feel safe returning to classrooms with students," J.O. Combs District Superintendent Gregory Wyman said in a statement, adding that he did not know when in-person learning would resume.

I am not sure what to think of all of this, for folks that had Nine Months to come up with a plan, this seems to have fallen apart immediately.
Being that this is all happening weeks from an election, I have some opinions as to what this is and that's some pretty ugly thoughts.

If the teaching staff do not feel safe returning to classrooms with students then they shouldn't feel safe going grocery shopping or running their daily errands. They are just indolent pricks as far as I'm concerned, perhaps their taxpayers don't feel safe wasting their tax dollars on bunch of leeches either.

Cold/Bore
08-16-20, 15:11

OMG this is sad. What a bunch of spineless cowards.

flenna
08-16-20, 15:18
I just wish I could recoup the taxes I paid for public schooling since I withdrew my kids from it 7 years ago. I had to run into town today and it was crowded- people in stores, restaurants, everywhere. But it is still too bad for public schools? Ok, so if schools are all going virtual then they only need a fraction of the teachers they have now, so let the layoffs begin. Newsflash- the Wuhan Flu is not going away and the only way forward is through herd immunity. Which does not happen by locking everyone in their homes.

Cold/Bore
08-16-20, 15:21
Let the teachers strike, let them stay home, let them be replaced entirely by specific home school specialized instructors. The hidden 'benefit' of covid may be bringing to light a revision of the education system and the elimination of a great number of indolent, ineffectual, 'teachurs'.

Unfortunately, “elimination of a great number of indolent, ineffectual, 'teachurs' “ is not possible when you have a nation wide teacher shortage.

“Job creation for public teachers nationwide has not kept up with growing student enrollment, resulting in a shortfall of 307,000 teaching jobs, according to the Economic Policy Institute.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/american-teacher-shortage-underpaid-overworked-teacher-strike

I’m afraid the teachers have too much leverage in this situation.

chuckman
08-17-20, 11:56
North Carolina's online education 'system' has crashed, just hours into the school year.....

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/nc-online-education-system-that-crashed-on-first-day-of-school-is-working-again-officials-say/19239370/

I am not attributing any judgment; a massive system put together so fast is likely going to have issues. I will say this: if NC's DOE tech people are like my institution's tech people, 90% of whom I believe were fired by Best Buy for incompetence, they are gonna have some headaches....

Averageman
08-17-20, 12:26
And I have to ask, "So they didn't see this coming?"
Come on, this is a political move, either that or everyone involved in North Carolina's Education System is incompetent and I can't see that being true.
They've had since Christmas break last year to wake up and smell the coffee. This should have been up and running after Spring Break and it needs to stay up and running from now on.

Cold/Bore
08-17-20, 13:03
North Carolina's online education 'system' has crashed, just hours into the school year.....

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/nc-online-education-system-that-crashed-on-first-day-of-school-is-working-again-officials-say/19239370/

I am not attributing any judgment; a massive system put together so fast is likely going to have issues. I will say this: if NC's DOE tech people are like my institution's tech people, 90% of whom I believe were fired by Best Buy for incompetence, they are gonna have some headaches....

I’m expecting this to happen next week when we start teaching in virtual classrooms. As soon as all the teachers in the building start live-streaming all at the same time, it’s bound to happen. They say they have enough bandwidth, but there are always problems when rolling out a new program. These are unprecedented times with unprecedented problems.

Averageman
08-17-20, 14:31
And there is no way these folks could have fired everything up and tested it before the first day of school?
It sounds like they're pretty confident that nobody will lose their jobs over all of this.

Cold/Bore
08-17-20, 14:54
And there is no way these folks could have fired everything up and tested it before the first day of school?
It sounds like they're pretty confident that nobody will lose their jobs over all of this.

You’d hope they would, right? But, I think that’s oversimplifying things. I’m not trying to defend these folks, but when you test a system out over the summer, and it’s just the professional IT guys testing it out, and it works great, you can’t assume that things are going to work great when the rest of the staff and students are using it. You just added a whole new set of variables into the equation, and a lot of people that don’t always know much about computer systems.

It’s not entirely different from fielding a new weapons system. Maybe it works great in the hands of the engineers and the top tier end users, but as soon as the rank and file grunts get their hands on it, the system that was once deemed bomb proof, starts falling apart.

Take this for an example: In my district, over the summer it was discovered that if you take a Ethernet cable and plug it in to the Ethernet jack and then take the other end and plug it into another jack, it shorts out the whole district network. I guess the IT guys had a hell of a time trying to figure out what was going on until someone discovered the looped connection. None of them had ever anticipated someone putting both ends into a jack. They’re professionals. Why would you ever do something like that? It serves no purpose. Then some bored administrator’s kid starts playing around with a loose end. Why? Who knows? He was bored, and then ZAP! Whole system is down and all the IT guys are searching for a virus or malware, the kind of things you’d expect to crash a network. I hope none of the students ever find out about this.

chuckman
08-18-20, 09:20
And I have to ask, "So they didn't see this coming?"
Come on, this is a political move, either that or everyone involved in North Carolina's Education System is incompetent and I can't see that being true.
They've had since Christmas break last year to wake up and smell the coffee. This should have been up and running after Spring Break and it needs to stay up and running from now on.

I agree. NC's education 'system' is a mess on a good day, and that they didn't start planning this and supporting the infrastructure, while unsurprising, is unfortunate. NC's colleges, too.

In contrast, as soon as I got back to working full-time in the office, our leadership told us to build a system in case this never goes away, and if we have to shut down 100%, when we come back it's a turn-key operation and we can go business-as-usual. We did that. We did that, the NC Dept of Public Safety does that (with regard to disaster planning), a lot of businesses do that. It's unfathomable that the state leadership could not forecast the possible need to have 100% virtual/online K-12 education; instead, it appears that they cobbled some things together in the hope that classes would be live/in-person, and appears they are surprised when Plan F didn't go as planned....

Averageman
08-18-20, 09:32
I agree. NC's education 'system' is a mess on a good day, and that they didn't start planning this and supporting the infrastructure, while unsurprising, is unfortunate. NC's colleges, too.

And yet we send our Children to these folks to be educated?

In contrast, as soon as I got back to working full-time in the office, our leadership told us to build a system in case this never goes away, and if we have to shut down 100%, when we come back it's a turn-key operation and we can go business-as-usual. We did that. We did that, the NC Dept of Public Safety does that (with regard to disaster planning), a lot of businesses do that. It's unfathomable that the state leadership could not forecast the possible need to have 100% virtual/online K-12 education; instead, it appears that they cobbled some things together in the hope that classes would be live/in-person, and appears they are surprised when Plan F didn't go as planned....

Having worked in the .mil system and as a Private Contracting system I'm pretty sure not having multiple contingency plans on hand and available was not only not acceptable you might find yourself adrift and without a position or a job and facing an awful lot of professional ridicule.
And yet year after year we watch our Public Education system flounder and well, we are willing to accept that.
This is absolutely unacceptable and NO ONE is willing to tackle the problem.

chuckman
08-18-20, 09:50
Having worked in the .mil system and as a Private Contracting system I'm pretty sure not having multiple contingency plans on hand and available was not only not acceptable you might find yourself adrift and without a position or a job and facing an awful lot of professional ridicule.
And yet year after year we watch our Public Education system flounder and well, we are willing to accept that.

I have made no bones that we homeschool, and I have little but disdain for the public education boondoggle. I agree with you. A lot of businesses and organizations get it 'right', and even some .gov organizations get it 'right,' but not them. It's as if they have planned for it to not work, and have a concession speech that says "we tried...".

To wit: UNC-Chapel Hill had 140 positive cases of COVID within a week; they are sending all students back home, and going online.

Averageman
08-18-20, 10:03
I have made no bones that we homeschool, and I have little but disdain for the public education boondoggle. I agree with you. A lot of businesses and organizations get it 'right', and even some .gov organizations get it 'right,' but not them. It's as if they have planned for it to not work, and have a concession speech that says "we tried...".

To wit: UNC-Chapel Hill had 140 positive cases of COVID within a week; they are sending all students back home, and going online.

Are they sending all of that money home with the Students or at least a rebate? I know, I'm laughing at that thought too. I cut a check a couple of weeks ago for my Sons College, I will be highly pissed if he doesn't receive his money's worth in education.
This has gone too far and with the Teachers Union coming out for Biden, you have to begin to question their motives at some point.
If you are a member of the Class of 2021, just how much school did you actually attend your Junior and Senior Year and will it be accredited?

Averageman
08-20-20, 10:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQVVWl5BUEk

For all of those who are denying this is happening, well, here you go. The Teachers Union is avidly Socialist Progressives and are using this strike as a political tool.

Grand58742
08-20-20, 12:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQVVWl5BUEk

For all of those who are denying this is happening, well, here you go. The Teachers Union is avidly Socialist Progressives and are using this strike as a political tool.

On a side note, I'd crawl across five miles of burning sand to drink Martha's bath water.

glocktogo
08-20-20, 14:35

To be fair, nothing they've ever done was critical enough to merit contingency plans or emergency backups. After all, it's just your kids, right? :rolleyes:

ghideon
08-21-20, 03:48
You’d hope they would, right? But, I think that’s oversimplifying things. I’m not trying to defend these folks, but when you test a system out over the summer, and it’s just the professional IT guys testing it out, and it works great, you can’t assume that things are going to work great when the rest of the staff and students are using it. You just added a whole new set of variables into the equation, and a lot of people that don’t always know much about computer systems.

It’s not entirely different from fielding a new weapons system. Maybe it works great in the hands of the engineers and the top tier end users, but as soon as the rank and file grunts get their hands on it, the system that was once deemed bomb proof, starts falling apart.

Take this for an example: In my district, over the summer it was discovered that if you take a Ethernet cable and plug it in to the Ethernet jack and then take the other end and plug it into another jack, it shorts out the whole district network. I guess the IT guys had a hell of a time trying to figure out what was going on until someone discovered the looped connection. None of them had ever anticipated someone putting both ends into a jack. They’re professionals. Why would you ever do something like that? It serves no purpose. Then some bored administrator’s kid starts playing around with a loose end. Why? Who knows? He was bored, and then ZAP! Whole system is down and all the IT guys are searching for a virus or malware, the kind of things you’d expect to crash a network. I hope none of the students ever find out about this.

Ah yes. The classic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switching_loop. Professionals are predictable, amateurs are dangerous.

It should only wreck the layer 2 segment has the switching loop, but this being a school they probably didn't have the time/money to design a proper fault tolerant network.

The same can be said of the remote learning effort. Tried to use a bunch of cloud solutions to lower the cost/barrier to entry, threw in some local consulting perhaps, along with whatever .edu software providers are out there and delivered something that didn't scale well. I can only hope the consultants didn't make too much money off of this fiasco.