PDA

View Full Version : Used BCM Upper, Good Deal?

Esq.
08-05-20, 09:11
Bought a 14.7 BCM upper (no bolt or ch) at the gunshow last weekend. It has the KMR rail, ELW, Key Mod....It's lightly used- rifling sharp, chamber clean, gauges a 1.5 or so....Paid $500. I thought that was fair. The Key Mod is in disfavor but I don't tend to move stuff around a lot. I'll put a good light, sling socket on it etc...and LEAVE it there forever....

This will just be a spare upper. I thought with everything going on that was a decent deal.....

At the same show I sold two "pieces parts" uppers for $350 apiece. Both had chrome lined 1/9 Bushmaster barrels, one a 14.5 and the other a 16" M4 type, no bolt or Ch included, standard CAR type handguards. Both had probably 1000-1500 rounds on them. One was built on a BCM blem upper and the other on a "mystery" upper I got in a trade...They were "backups" that I had swapped on and off various lowers for years. Seemed like a good time to upgrade....

signal4l
08-05-20, 09:55
If all parts are original BCM you did fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about key mod versus mlok. Like you, all I attach to my uppers is a light and a sling mount. Key mod works fine

Esq.
08-05-20, 10:19
If all parts are original BCM you did fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about key mod versus mlok. Like you, all I attach to my uppers is a light and a sling mount. Key mod works fine

I know the guy I bought it from and it's all BCM- only reason he was selling is because he bought a new Centurion upper to replace it. I bought it, went home and got my two "beater" uppers and walked around the show taking offers. Ended up with $200 in my pocket and the BCM upper so it worked out I thought.

Glock18j
08-06-20, 07:28
BCM has been my go to since 2012. Not a bad deal at all.

Esq.
08-06-20, 09:36
BCM has been my go to since 2012. Not a bad deal at all.

I own two complete rifles and half a dozen of their uppers. They all run well. Just wasn't sure what the "value" of a lightly
used, good quality, upper might be right now...

LMT/556
08-10-20, 16:56
Just wasn't sure what the "value" of a lightly
used, good quality, upper might be right now...
$500, you just set the bar...

Esq.
08-10-20, 17:08
$500, you just set the bar...

Lol, true enough. Considering that i got $350 out of my no name uppers I thought i did really well....The Bcm is much nicer/better quality than the stuff i got rid of

DG23
08-19-20, 22:31
Lol, true enough. Considering that i got $350 out of my no name uppers I thought i did really well....The Bcm is much nicer/better quality than the stuff i got rid of

How did the no name stuff shoot for you as compared to what you just bought?

Pappabear
08-19-20, 22:43
BCM is quality kit. Should be good with your purchase.

PB

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-19-20, 23:29
Who sells uppers with out BCG and CH? I could understand if it was new, but being used? BCGs are one of the few things that BCM has in stock.

vicious_cb
08-20-20, 02:23
I would also confirm its actually a factory BCM. AFAIK BCM doesnt make 14.7" barrels only 14.5" although there maybe some variations in length they would never advertise their barrels as 14.7". I would look at the barrel markings to make sure.

Esq.
08-20-20, 07:00
Who sells uppers with out BCG and CH? I could understand if it was new, but being used? BCGs are one of the few things that BCM has in stock.

I bought it from a good friend, i know its history. He wanted to keep his bolt as a spare--he replaced this upper with a new Centurion with bolt.

I have a good pile of new bolts so it wasnt a big deal for me. I grabbed a Toolcraft bolt and a spare Vortex 1-8 I had and took it to the range. It shoots pretty well, about 3.5" at 200 yards using some 50 grain Federal gray tip ammo that i am using up.

I'm pretty happy with it as a spare.

Esq.
08-20-20, 07:07
How did the no name stuff shoot for you as compared to what you just bought?

Thats a good question. I may be the complete exception but i have always had good luck with BM barrels, they last a long time and are pretty accurate.

The old uppers were ugly but reliable and reasonably accurate--5" or better with M193 at 200 yards.

Main thing was they were getting long in the tooth, no rails, lots of rounds- the barrels were used when I bought them.... With the panic on I saw an opportunity to turn $200 uppers into $350 uppers. Seemed like a good call.

DG23
08-20-20, 20:24
Thats a good question. I may be the complete exception but i have always had good luck with BM barrels, they last a long time and are pretty accurate.

The old uppers were ugly but reliable and reasonably accurate--5" or better with M193 at 200 yards.

Main thing was they were getting long in the tooth, no rails, lots of rounds- the barrels were used when I bought them.... With the panic on I saw an opportunity to turn $200 uppers into $350 uppers. Seemed like a good call.

Very good call in my opinion. Especially if they had a high round count as you say...

Heck, Last year around black friday I bought 3 new barrels I did not need. The price was right and that 'is' a part that will wear out in time.