PDA

View Full Version : Gen 5 Glock 17 Concealed Carry Holster Options

Firefox
08-07-20, 15:45
Gents,

I have a somewhat odd RFI- I am looking for a IWB holster for a gen 5 Glock 17 that after repeated holstering/unholstering will not mar the finish on the gun. The Glock I am considering carrying, on limited occasions, was given to me as a going away gift. It has laser engravings on the slide which contribute to its sentimental value that I'd like to protect as much as possible in addition to keeping a weapon like this in great shape. From experience with my EDC gun's holster, kydex will mar the finish over time and as I understand it from research leather will do the same. I've been told kydex holsters with a felt-like material on the inside provide better protection, but this is the first I've heard of anything like this. If anyone on this forum has better insight than I and can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

davidjinks
08-07-20, 18:20
Every holster you use will mar the finish whether it’s kydex or leather. Some do it less than others.

For a solid IWB holster that will be very comfortable to wear, conform to your body, and conceal the weapon well, I recommend Milt Sparks VM II with an S4C mag pouch (Or D4C if you want 2 spares)

Gents,

I have a somewhat odd RFI- I am looking for a IWB holster for a gen 5 Glock 17 that after repeated holstering/unholstering will not mar the finish on the gun. The Glock I am considering carrying, on limited occasions, was given to me as a going away gift. It has laser engravings on the slide which contribute to its sentimental value that I'd like to protect as much as possible in addition to keeping a weapon like this in great shape. From experience with my EDC gun's holster, kydex will mar the finish over time and as I understand it from research leather will do the same. I've been told kydex holsters with a felt-like material on the inside provide better protection, but this is the first I've heard of anything like this. If anyone on this forum has better insight than I and can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

pag23
08-08-20, 17:42
Personally I would put the G17 away if you are that concerned about the finish...and get another one.

I have a Blue Line LLC IWB for my Glock, it wears on the slide but really only in a few minor spots and is really not that noticeable, it is a great holster. Kydex is easy to clean and wipe it down from sweat after a day of carrying, but the VM2 is an awesome holster.

RHINOWSO
08-08-20, 21:42
Either stop caring about it or buy a different weapon to carry.

PracticalRifleman
08-09-20, 19:50
Why are you carrying a gun?

Is it for self-defense?

What happens if you have to use it?

Yes, the precious sentimental pistol who’s finish you are concerned with may end up in the fight for your very life. It may get marred up on the process. It is going to get marred up training, as you should be training.

Then you have the conflict which you must defend yourself and it gets confiscated. It’s in others’ hands and maybe or maybe isn’t “preserved” for the unknown amount of time they keep it before they, it ever, release it back to you.

I think it’s time to re-evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBAR_94
08-09-20, 20:14
I've found smooth leather that's well boned to your gun is pretty easy on finish. I have a couple of Alessi holsters that I've carried blued guns that have only minimal wear, and bluing is definitely more fragile than Glock finish. You may get a little rubbing on the corners around the the muzzle, but I have an engraved 1911 I've carried in leather IWB and shoulder rigs that's got very little wear. I don't have any experience with the new Ritchie holsters, but I know they have a direct lineage to Alessi--this is what I use: http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100002/stakeout. If you want to spend some money, I think horse hide or shark skin would also be gentle on a finish, but I haven't used one so I can't suggest a maker.

My opinion only, but I also appreciate carrying guns that have a sentimental value to me. If I have to use one, even if I never get it back being a live is a good trade off in my book.

Firefox
08-09-20, 22:52
Why are you carrying a gun?

Is it for self-defense?

What happens if you have to use it?

Yes, the precious sentimental pistol who’s finish you are concerned with may end up in the fight for your very life. It may get marred up on the process. It is going to get marred up training, as you should be training.

Then you have the conflict which you must defend yourself and it gets confiscated. It’s in others’ hands and maybe or maybe isn’t “preserved” for the unknown amount of time they keep it before they, it ever, release it back to you.

I think it’s time to re-evaluate.

To provide some additional context, I carry a Glock 19 for both professional and personal use. I train extensively and put several thousand rounds a year through those guns in a variety of settings. I feel comfortable enough with my current proficiency to carry and employ a Glock 17 for self defense should the need arise.

If I have to use my weapon then ya, it’s go time. At that point I could care less if anything gets marred or the weapon gets confiscated by police after the fact. Not worth my life. Until that point, I’m entertaining the plausibility of carrying my 17, for the few times I’d carry it over my 19, while protecting it from unnecessary wear and tear being a unique weapon.

From the group, I appreciate your input and the recommendations on the variety of holsters- I will look into them. Knowing that I’ll have to accept some wear from any holster is a great fact going forward.

KWSRStorm
08-11-20, 16:43
If you are worried about slide wear, get an extra gun or a different upper. Could easily get an oem upper on gunbroker. Your carry gun is a tool, last thing you should worry about is scratching it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Alaskapopo
08-11-20, 20:58
Every holster you use will mar the finish whether it’s kydex or leather. Some do it less than others.

For a solid IWB holster that will be very comfortable to wear, conform to your body, and conceal the weapon well, I recommend Milt Sparks VM II with an S4C mag pouch (Or D4C if you want 2 spares)

I like this Versa max as well. But I would strongly recommend you consider using the 17 as a range toy of home defense and get something like the 48 with Shield mags as a concealed carry piece. Much smaller and only 2 less rounds.

davidjinks
08-14-20, 19:11
I’m not the OP...however, he was specifically asking about a Glock 17. There’s nothing wrong carrying one, they’re fairly easy to conceal. I carry mine all day and never had a problem.

I like this Versa max as well. But I would strongly recommend you consider using the 17 as a range toy of home defense and get something like the 48 with Shield mags as a concealed carry piece. Much smaller and only 2 less rounds.

Alaskapopo
09-21-20, 07:54
I’m not the OP...however, he was specifically asking about a Glock 17. There’s nothing wrong carrying one, they’re fairly easy to conceal. I carry mine all day and never had a problem.

The 17 is a full
Size service pistol. There is a reason more
Compact Glocks came out almost
Immediately. Can they be concealed sure but not easily especially in warmer climates.

signal4l
09-21-20, 08:38
Take a look at Tenicor holsters. Very durable, well made.

I can't help you with your concerns regarding finish. All holsters will wear the finish

signal4l
09-21-20, 08:39
Delete. Accidental double tap

ViniVidivici
09-21-20, 11:28
Finish wear on a pistol you carry alot is a badge of honor.

Accept it. Hell, it's impossible NOT to put wear on a serious "working gun" if you're doing the amount and frequency of draw reps and shooting it takes ti remain profficient.

CPM
09-22-20, 06:17
OP- I totally get what you mean. Leather is where it’s at, and what was already mentioned is the best. Or the MS Summer Carry.

To provide you with some minor context, I am a duck hunter and I was given a PRISTINE 1903 Ithaca SxS from someone very important to me. I shoot it regardless of weather or location. Pouring rain, lugging it through the woods, etc... I know(because he’s told me) that’s what the person who gave it to me would want. He wants me to use it as much as possible and have experiences, not oogle it at home. He could care less about the finish, and when I say it’s perfect, I mean perfect.

LDM
09-24-20, 12:01
Check out Garrett Industires holsters.
Leather lined Kydex.

SFree
09-26-20, 12:37
SOB Tactical, John “Shrek” McFee and the Glock Condom holster...

ShipWreck
09-28-20, 14:18
As others said - you WILL wear ANY gun if you carry it in a holster. And, the Glock finish now is not as tough as it once was... When it comes to wearing via holster.

As others have said - if it matters to you, I wouldn't carry it at all

norcalAF
10-13-20, 09:28
If you want to keep the gun and keep it pristine, then put it in the safe and buy yourself a second Glock for carry. Even if you carry it gingerly and don't put a mark on it, in the event that you have to use it in defense, it could be confiscated temporarily during the course of the investigation, and I can guarantee the PD will not handle it as delicately as you would like.

03Infantry415
12-14-20, 20:39
If you've considered appendix carry check out Phlster holsters. I can easily carry a G17 with a RDS in a t-shirt with no problem. Thats all going to depend on your comfort level and size.

TAZ
12-15-20, 09:49
I love JM Custom Kydex holsters, but they do wear the finish. For leather my choice was always Milt Sparks VM2. Very comfy to say the least.

Unfortunately, if to carry regularly and more importantly train regularly out if the holster, even the leather will wear your finish. Not as fast as kydex, but it will wear eventually.

Even on my kydex rigs the majority of the holster wear is focused around the nose. If your customizations are higher up on the slide it may not really be an issue. Id still go leather though just in case since it seems the customizations are important to you.

robbins290
12-15-20, 10:02
I have been using crossbreed holsters for a while now. Great products.

ViniVidivici
12-15-20, 12:01
Holster wear on a "working gun" is not detriment, it is a badge of honor.

StreetSurvival
12-24-20, 14:34
Want the best look no further than Tenicor Holsters. Shooters in the know, know!

.XL
12-26-20, 12:03
https://www.highnoonholsters.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?multiselect_manufacturer=2737&gun_model_multiselect=3797&wfc_material=3820&wfc_position=3825&x=159&y=12

twm134
12-28-20, 19:30
I agree with what most others have said about the wear on the firearm, however:

The Vanguard from Raven Concealment would minimize wear from the holster but you will still get some wear from your clothes.

Also there was a holster, OTW, that Dave Spaulding designed a while ago that specifically made the kydex large enough to not touch the handgun in order to preserve the finish. Don't remember who made it.