PDA

View Full Version : Strike Industries charging handle

Disciple
08-07-20, 22:46
I have a Strike Industries extended latch 7075-T6 charging handle. It runs smoother than the unmarked standard CH I had before and I like the extended latch. However I've just discovered the poor reputation SI has on this forum. I guess a charging handle seemed like a simple enough item so I didn't think to check before buying it. Is there anything known wrong with this one specific product? I won't be buying more from SI but I like this one better than what I had.

Eurodriver
08-08-20, 04:29
I know a guy who bought a subtier part and his rifle failed TEXAN STYLE just this week.

I’d throw it away and buy a BCM, but I’m wasteful like that.

I’m sure you’ll be fine.

docsherm
08-08-20, 11:12
I have a Strike Industries extended latch 7075-T6 charging handle. It runs smoother than the unmarked standard CH I had before and I like the extended latch. However I've just discovered the poor reputation SI has on this forum. I guess a charging handle seemed like a simple enough item so I didn't think to check before buying it. Is there anything known wrong with this one specific product? I won't be buying more from SI but I like this one better than what I had.

Use it. If it breaks get a better one. Look at Vltor or the Radian Raptor. I have both and they are rock solid.

ColtSeavers
08-08-20, 12:29
It'll be fine. It's a 7075 charging handle. The extended latch is the weak point on it same as it would be on any other extended latch standard charging handle. While Strike Industries may make some things some people find distasteful, they also make some pretty decent things too. And Taiwan is not China.

As mentioned above though, if you're looking for a better charging handle, pony up for a better charging handle (like the Raptor) and skip the half measures (extended latch alone).

Disciple
08-08-20, 16:37
The extended latch is the weak point on it same as it would be on any other extended latch standard charging handle.

Regarding that SI claims "latch force transmitted through body." Is that BS?

ColtSeavers
08-08-20, 17:07
Regarding that SI claims "latch force transmitted through body." Is that BS?

Not exactly, and to be completely forthright, I was not exactly clear either.

Their extended latch will work as advertised, as they've designed it to make contact with the T of the charging handle itself to try and alleviate additional stress on the standard sized roll pin holding it in place, as that's a known point of failure on standard charging handles, and is exacerbated with most extended latches. However, now you've got a higher chance of pinching or getting something caught between the latch and the T of the handle.

So, it's a rather smart design to make up for the standard roll pin's weakness, but at a slight cost elsewhere.

Disciple
08-08-20, 17:08
Thank you.

js8588
08-10-20, 14:38
It's fine. Just avoid their (and for that matter everyone else's) "latchless" charging handle.

Straight Shooter
08-11-20, 07:58
It's fine. Just avoid their (and for that matter everyone else's) "latchless" charging handle.

Ive seen those. Can you elaborate on why not to use them?

Disciple
08-11-20, 19:08
Ive seen those. Can you elaborate on why not to use them?

Pardon me jumping in. SI at least says: "Not rated for suppressors and /or full auto fire. Not for use on SBRs or pistol length barrels (<14.5")" This implies that the detent doesn't hold nearly as well as a regular latch. Also I there are reports of the leaf spring breaking or weakening, and unlike a sheared latch roll pin there doesn't appear to be a simple repair.

Straight Shooter
08-11-20, 20:22
Pardon me jumping in. SI at least says: "Not rated for suppressors and /or full auto fire. Not for use on SBRs or pistol length barrels (<14.5")" This implies that the detent doesn't hold nearly as well as a regular latch. Also I there are reports of the leaf spring breaking or weakening, and unlike a sheared latch roll pin there doesn't appear to be a simple repair.

Thanks for that info....anyone else has any Id like to hear it.

ColtSeavers
08-11-20, 20:53
Also I there are reports of the leaf spring breaking or weakening, and unlike a sheared latch roll pin there doesn't appear to be a simple repair.

That leaf spring looks far easier to replace and deal with than a sheared roll pin and splayed charging handle.

https://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Strike_Industries_SI_Phantom_Latchless_Ambidextrous_Ambi_AR_Charging_Handle_DefenseReview.com_DR_22.jpg

jackblack73
08-11-20, 21:51
I personally wouldn't want that leaf spring rubbing on and wearing down my receiver.

ColtSeavers
08-11-20, 22:41
I personally wouldn't want that leaf spring rubbing on and wearing down my receiver.

As opposed to a latch rubbing off the outside of it?

Straight Shooter
08-12-20, 09:25
Ive seen a rifles with the area where the latch locks onto very worn..even Vickers has a video of him shooting and the Ch keeps unlocking and moving. So- my question is this: When that area, where the latch locks onto becomes very worn, how is that repaired?

Hammer_Man
08-12-20, 09:50
Strike Industries is a form over function, gimmicky parts manufacturer. On top of that most of their stuff is made over seas. If you want a quality charging handle with a large extended latch look at BCM.

js8588
08-12-20, 13:37

This is exactly why & it's a problem with all "latchless" designs.

Duffy
08-14-20, 17:37
Conventional CH's latch wears the rear of the latch pocket on the upper (the butt stock side) as it goes in, but never on its way out (since the latch is rotated out of the pocket when the user pulls on the latch and the CH back). With a latchless, it wears on both sides of the pocket and there isn't any way to stop the wear, only reduce it, so it was just a matter of time and before the pocket's edge is worn down gradually to nothing.

Different for the sake of being different is meaningless. Some excel at this, their warning should be not rated for duty, defense and any serious use.

ColtSeavers
08-14-20, 18:44
Conventional CH's latch wears the rear of the latch pocket on the upper (the butt stock side) as it goes in, but never on its way out (since the latch is rotated out of the pocket when the user pulls on the latch and the CH back). With a latchless, it wears on both sides of the pocket and there isn't any way to stop the wear, only reduce it, so it was just a matter of time and before the pocket's edge is worn down gradually to nothing.

Different for the sake of being different is meaningless. Some excel at this, their warning should be not rated for duty, defense and any serious use.

I think you're confusing one of those ball bearing detent latchless charging handles with the Strike Industries leaf spring latchless charging handle that interfaces with the charging handle insertion recesses(?) inside the upper receiver?

Disciple
08-14-20, 20:42
That leaf spring looks far easier to replace and deal with than a sheared roll pin and splayed charging handle.

Is a replacement available? Making one does not seem trivial.

Duffy
08-14-20, 21:12
I was lol, but steel on aluminum, whether inside or out of the upper receiver, steel is still going to win, so my assessment stands :)

I think you're confusing one of those ball bearing detent latchless charging handles with the Strike Industries leaf spring latchless charging handle that interfaces with the charging handle insertion recesses(?) inside the upper receiver?

ColtSeavers
08-14-20, 21:20
Is a replacement available? Making one does not seem trivial.

No idea if a replacement spring is available, i was only commenting on which of the two I'd rather try to replace.

For all I know, the cost of the replacement spring might be close enough to simply chuck the charging handle and grab a new one, which is exactly the same thing I'd do for a sheared roll pin and splayed T regardless of replacement parts cost.

ColtSeavers
08-14-20, 21:22
I was lol, but steel on aluminum, whether inside or out of the upper receiver, steel is still going to win, so my assessment stands :)

https://i.imgflip.com/1xdxip.jpg

Disciple
08-14-20, 22:23

Returning to the original subject the SI handle I have uses an aluminum latch. Is that wise or foolish?

Duffy
08-14-20, 23:23
Extended latches were a thing back in early 2000s, some of them were over correction even then. A long lever has more mechanical advantage, you may not wear an egg shape on the latch around the roll pin, but with a long lever, you're a lot more likely to. If you mortar your AR, the long latch would seem to help in accessibility but you'd be stressing the latch a great deal more. The roll pin itself is strong enough, the aluminum around it isn't when the user is able to exert a lot of torque on it from force amplification.

The extended latch also digs into backs and catches on gear. Depending on where you pull, long latches can encourage the user to pull it side ways, whereas a short latch's direction rearward is a lot closer to being parallel to the body of the CH and the bore. I'd rather have short latches, and ours (ACF) has short latches for reasons mentioned above.

Stick to known reputable, US made brands. USGI/TDP spec will serve you well. Leave the Stroke CH in the bin :)

Disciple
08-15-20, 10:51
Are you able to use "blade" manipulation with the short latches, or do you disparage that method?

Duffy
08-15-20, 13:11
With the short latches, they might be harder to access for some and that's the trade off, there is rarely a perfect design without comprimises, it's a matter of whether the benefits outweigh the shortcomings.

With short handles, they give up ease of access which I consider a non-issue because military CH has been like this for decades. What you get from it far outweighs whatever real or perceived compromises of the short handle/latch: less stress on the latch around the roll pin, less pulling it at an angle, forward assist clearance on the right side (since you're pulling it from a spot very close to the main body of the CH, your finger has a much better chance of clearing the FA's rim if you use the right latch/handle), won't dig into your back when you sling it.

I've used magnified scopes with standard CH, never did see the draw of extended latches. Given the issues it can introduce, it's not something I want.

Users can use any method they are comfortable with, either blading or pinching, I don't think there's a wrong way :) It's harder to blade with short latches, pinch is easier and what Jeff Gonzales teaches, I use what he taught to this day :)

artoter
08-15-20, 14:19
I put a Radian Raptor CH on mine, and the size of it is perfect for me, but then I'm not in the Marines anymore, and am not lugging around gear. I don't know if I would have liked it as much in that situation...the standard latch worked just fine.

js8588
08-15-20, 19:22
FWIW (not much) I just picked up one of PRIs new ambi "gas buster" charging handles. Absolutely perfect to my eyes. I'll be swapping out all of my Geisseles for these.

vicious_cb
08-15-20, 23:03
FWIW (not much) I just picked up one of PRIs new ambi "gas buster" charging handles. Absolutely perfect to my eyes. I'll be swapping out all of my Geisseles for these.

I hope its better than the original gas buster. As FCD stated above "extended" latches like the PRI big latch gas buster was notorious for shearing roll pins. It was to the point where I was doing roll pin replacement as preventative maintenance.

Jellybean
08-16-20, 16:43

Like some others mentioned, might as well use it for now. I would find a BCM Gunfighter CH to replace it with at some point.
Seriously, unless you want an ambi CH, just get a Mod 4 Gunfighter like everyone else.