PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a light 1-6 for an AR.

ScottsBad
08-09-20, 16:53
I'm looking for an LPVO for one of my ARs. I really don't need more than 6X. This will be an interim optic in the $900-1200 range. Ruggedness is a higher priority than daylight bright reticle. In fact, I usually don't use illumination except in lower light situations.

At 18oz. the Trijicon Creed 1-6x looks promising. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

maximus83
08-09-20, 17:23
I was looking at those myself, a new line from Trijicon looks interesting.

As far as a proven performer in your specs and price range, about 3oz heavier, I have to recommend the Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6. It's been the nicest LPVO I've owned, although frankly my older Leupy 1.5-5x20 MK IV tactical has better glass, and is lighter. But you can't get those Leupy scopes anymore, and they're not a true 1x on the low end.

If you try the Triji, post pics and review here, would love to hear how that turns out.

vandal5
08-09-20, 17:34
May want to check out this thread.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?218064-Optics-and-Mounts-weight-thread

Not just 1-6 in there but a lot of scope mount combos to use as a reference point.

ABNAK
08-09-20, 17:34

As far as a proven performer in your specs and price range, about 3oz heavier, I have to recommend the Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6. It's been the nicest LPVO I've owned, although frankly my older Leupy 1.5-5x20 MK IV tactical has better glass, and is lighter. But you can't get those Leupy scopes anymore, and they're not a true 1x on the low end.

If you try the Triji, post pics and review here, would love to hear how that turns out.

That is what I've been eyeing up as my first foray into LPVO's.

Wake27
08-09-20, 17:43
Razor is the gold standard. If the rest of the gun is light, it’s worth the weight penalty to get a razor for its features. If you have to have a lighter one, the Steiner P4Xi is a little lighter or you could up your budget and get a Khales.

I did a 4.5 mile run n gun yesterday with my Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omegajb
08-09-20, 18:00
Do you want first of second focal plane? The Trijicon is second which might not be what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ABNAK
08-09-20, 18:10
Do you want first of second focal plane? The Trijicon is second which might not be what you're looking for.

The way I look at it the SFP should suffice for most of my needs and/or desires. In the 1x mode it's basically a CQB-type sight anyway, so the BDC not being "to scale" isn't an issue. If/when I need a more precise shot I'll dial up to 6x and use the BDC.

maximus83
08-09-20, 18:14

The Trijicon Credo is available as both SFP and FFP.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/cr624-c-2900023

Jsp10477
08-09-20, 18:45
Opposed to Bushnell? If this fits your needs, it’s priced quite reasonably. The FDE version is the same price.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Bushnell-SMRS-1-65x24-ILL-CQ-BDC-Riflescope-ET71624.aspx

FlyingHunter
08-09-20, 19:40
Not sure about the weight, but my Leupold VX6 1x6 has been a great LPVO for multiple uses on multiple platforms. Worth a look for your needs. Good luck.

Straight Shooter
08-09-20, 19:53
Not sure about the weight, but my Leupold VX6 1x6 has been a great LPVO for multiple uses on multiple platforms. Worth a look for your needs. Good luck.

FH- youve been gone awhile havent you? Good to see you back.

Disciple
08-09-20, 20:53
Have you seen this list? https://sageratsafaris.com/master-list-of-illuminated-variable-1x-rifle-scopes/

ap1220
08-09-20, 21:33
Perhaps a bit above your price range listed (but worth it if you can one used), is the Leupold Mk6 1-6x.

ScottsBad
08-10-20, 13:00
May want to check out this thread.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?218064-Optics-and-Mounts-weight-thread

Not just 1-6 in there but a lot of scope mount combos to use as a reference point.

Yeah, thanks for this. I wish I could get a list of mount and scope weights individually. Looks like Scaler Works is pretty light, but expensive.

ScottsBad
08-10-20, 13:07

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider it. Don't know if I want to give up the 3oz and extra cash. This is supposed to be an interim scope until I decide exactly what I want, but maybe the superior glass would be worth it. Price wise it starts getting closer to the 1-10 too. Hmmm

ScottsBad
08-10-20, 13:10
Razor is the gold standard. If the rest of the gun is light, it’s worth the weight penalty to get a razor for its features. If you have to have a lighter one, the Steiner P4Xi is a little lighter or you could up your budget and get a Khales.

I did a 4.5 mile run n gun yesterday with my Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will consider that, what mount are you all using with your Razors?

ScottsBad
08-10-20, 13:14

The Trijicon Creed 1-6 comes in either FFP or SFP. Razor 1-6 is SFP.

I'm not sure FFP is needed in a 1-6 LPVO. Whereas I would want FFP 1-8 or 1-10.

ScottsBad
08-10-20, 13:22
Opposed to Bushnell? If this fits your needs, it’s priced quite reasonably. The FDE version is the same price.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Bushnell-SMRS-1-65x24-ILL-CQ-BDC-Riflescope-ET71624.aspx

I'm not opposed to any scope that performs well. I see what I can find out.

ScottsBad
08-10-20, 13:24

Good scope but discontinued I believe.

ScottsBad
08-10-20, 13:26
Have you seen this list? https://sageratsafaris.com/master-list-of-illuminated-variable-1x-rifle-scopes/

Thanks, I'll study it.

ScottsBad
08-10-20, 13:43
Perhaps a bit above your price range listed (but worth it if you can one used), is the Leupold Mk6 1-6x.

The Mk6, NX8, or Razor 1-10 would be my choices if I wanted to spend that much for an AR optic right now. Right now, I want to buy something that isn't complete garbage, but lets me decide if I want a LPVO instead of my Aimpoints on my Go-To rifles. I've had decent luck with my Trijicon stuff, and I'm not into Primary Arms or cheap Vortex scopes. I will consider the Razor 1-6 E model for sure.

If I could get a good price on a Mk6 that was only driven to the church on Sundays by a little old lady, I'd go for it.

SA80Dan
08-12-20, 22:48
If you just want to try the concept out, why not give the Viper PST gen 2 a go? Substantially cheaper than the razor 1-6; asides from slightly inferior glass functionally the same and similar tank-like build.... nothing at all like the cheaper vortex strike eagle. Razor nor Viper are what you'd call light though.

titsonritz
08-13-20, 01:17
If I could get a good price on a Mk6 that was only driven to the church on Sundays by a little old lady, I'd go for it.

I sent you a PM

TehLlama
08-14-20, 14:43
I'm not sure FFP is needed in a 1-6 LPVO. Whereas I would want FFP 1-8 or 1-10.

Honestly, depends on your viewpoint of utility of BDC's at 4x zoom. Coming from TA31RCO's, I find that to be a broadly more useful combination, and since the real figure of merit on my pricier builds was weight > cost, I went with a FFP option (Mk6), and I'm still quite happy with that choice overall.

Practically, the best argument for the Vortex is that the low entry cost and relatively well retained resale value makes it a great option to test the waters... otherwise, jump up to the Trijicon or Leupold and make it a 'buy once cry once' thing, since it is an optic that does everything, provided you don't mind the weight and the fact that tubes aren't quite as fast as red dots up close

bruin
08-14-20, 16:11
From personal experience I can recommend the Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x as a dark horse option. SFP, 17.4 oz, about $1k used pre-pandemic but hard to find. Compared to the Razor HD-IIE, it's about 3oz lighter, longer (since it has a built-in sunshade), and the outer ring doesn't disappear when looking through it. Illumination is easily visible to me in desert-like daylight conditions. I can't speak on durability since relatively few are out there, but Meopta has quite a bit of experience making military-grade scopes. Made in the Czech Republic, and the glass is excellent.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Brahmzy
08-15-20, 07:43

That’s a pretty awesome list! Thanks!

Disciple
08-15-20, 10:59
Thank the author, https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?102975-SageRatSafaris

It must have been a lot of work.

Joe Mamma
08-15-20, 20:13

Does anyone have experience with or any thoughts on the Vanguard RS IV 1-4x24 or RS VI 1-6x24 scope with the German #4 illuminated reticle?

I don't see much discussion about them at all. But I was very impressed with a Vanguard spotting scope (Endeavor HD 20-60x82) which outperformed a Vortex spotting scope that cost 50% more.

Joe Mamma

masakari
08-15-20, 22:14
My highest recommendation would be a used Trijicon TR24 1-4x. Fantastic optic, adjustable fiber optic illumination, affordable, and lightweight (under 15oz).

If you don't need more than 4x and want something light, these are perfect.

m24shooter
08-16-20, 09:23
My highest recommendation would be a used Trijicon TR24 1-4x. Fantastic optic, adjustable fiber optic illumination, affordable, and lightweight (under 15oz).

If you don't need more than 4x and want something light, these are perfect.
Agreed. Love mine. Very clear glass. You're not going to be doing a lot of ranging with the triangle post reticle, but it is a great LPVO.

masakari
08-16-20, 09:35
Agreed. Love mine. Very clear glass. You're not going to be doing a lot of ranging with the triangle post reticle, but it is a great LPVO.

That's my problem with the Accupoint line; nothing with a BDC or usable ranging reticle. The 1-6x Mil/MOA is close, but they bungled the reticle with just a tiny dot. Should have added a segmented circle around it or something. Missed opportunity for sure.
The triangle TR24 is still the most versatile, though it's limited to 300ish yards due to the lack of ranging.

Trijicon has been disappointing me for a while now with fairly poor design choices. All they need to do is take a few minutes to listen to the customers, but they seem to just crank out optics that consistently miss the mark. Not by a lot, but by enough that they underperform other options.

I say that as a Trijicon fanboy, with their optics on all of my rifles. For now.

GCF
08-30-20, 13:58

Great / comprehensive list. Thanks for providing.

Amazing how few listed, are actually assembled in the United States.