PDA

View Full Version : Wideners Korean G19 Magazines

Submariner
11-28-08, 12:50
Has anyone tried the Korean-made G19 magazines from Wideners?

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8683&dir=625|709

Thoughts, comments?

Robb Jensen
11-28-08, 13:01

Thoughts, comments?

I ordered 2 of them from Copes, I'll let you know.

Iraqgunz
11-28-08, 13:26
Run far away. Some soldiers here in Iraq had acquired some for their "acquired" Glocks and they were crap. Some of the floorplates popped off while they were carrying them. I don't think they are worth any potential savings.

M4arc
11-28-08, 13:28

Thoughts, comments?

I bought five from Copes for $12 each just to try out and see what they were all about. First they appear to be almost identical to the Glock magazines with only a slight difference in the plastic. The KCI mags are a little smoother and not as soft as OEM mags but they appear to be very well built and the parts look interchangable.

The mag springs don't appear to be as stiff so you shouldn't have any trouble loading them by hand, without the Glock loader.

I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet because I've been down and out for the past couple of weeks but I'm hoping to hit the range on Sunday morning. At this point I would say they will make great range mags and I might even buy five more for training and practice.

M4arc
12-07-08, 08:15
I finally had a chance to run some rounds through the KCI mags this morning and my verdict is to save your money for OEM Glock mags.

I experienced several failures to feed with several of the magazines. I had FTF issues with three of the five. In addition I experienced some strange issues while loading them as well. One time a round stood straight up while in the mag body and another the rounds seemed to get hung up on something and when I went to unload it to see what the problem was 4-5 rounds fell right out onto the bench. :eek:

I also noticed that the plastic closest to the feed lips was crumbling...not being shaved off like I would expect anything metal rubs against plastic but crumbling into little soft plastic balls. Very strange.

All in all out of 75 rounds through all five magazines I experience about six FTFs from three of the magazines and a couple of goofy loading issues. The bottom line is buy used OEM magazines or save a little longer and buy new ones. If you do decide to buy some of these as range mags I think you'll get plenty of malfunction training.

Robb Jensen
12-07-08, 08:33
I got my two and took a really good look at them. They aren't the same quality as OEM Glock mags. The springs are way weaker. I plan to get two OEM Glock 19 rebuild kits (new followers, bases, inserts and springs) and modify the OEM Glock followers to fit the Korean mags better (they fit but drag a little) and just use them as range only mags.

mario
12-07-08, 08:43
Normally I avoid any non OEM parts/accessories but out of curiosity I tried some KCI mags and they have functioned perfectly. I've only shot about 1000 rounds thru 3 mags so my testing isn't conclusive but I'm optimistic that they will be a good alternative to factory mags.

Disclaimer: For defensive purposes I use nothing but Glock factory mags.

Iraqgunz
12-07-08, 10:06
I told you so, I told you so. :D Thanks for posting that info.

I finally had a chance to run some rounds through the KCI mags this morning and my verdict is to save your money for OEM Glock mags.

I experienced several failures to feed with several of the magazines. I had FTF issues with three of the five. In addition I experienced some strange issues while loading them as well. One time a round stood straight up while in the mag body and another the rounds seemed to get hung up on something and when I went to unload it to see what the problem was 4-5 rounds fell right out onto the bench. :eek:

I also noticed that the plastic closest to the feed lips was crumbling...not being shaved off like I would expect anything metal rubs against plastic but crumbling into little soft plastic balls. Very strange.

All in all out of 75 rounds through all five magazines I experience about six FTFs from three of the magazines and a couple of goofy loading issues. The bottom line is buy used OEM magazines or save a little longer and buy new ones. If you do decide to buy some of these as range mags I think you'll get plenty of malfunction training.

M4arc
12-07-08, 10:30
I told you so, I told you so. :D Thanks for posting that info.

Being a self proclaimed "mag whore" I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try them. Like I said, if you're looking for range mags they would be okay but I wouldn't trust them, especially since I had 6 or so failures in only 75 rounds.

But if you're looking for plenty of TAP-RACK-BANG training they should be good to go :D

skyugo
12-08-08, 22:33
wow i'll skip that..

some geniuses managed to make a mag that makes the G19 unreliable. :rolleyes:

Dave L.
12-10-08, 11:52
wow i'll skip that..

some geniuses managed to make a mag that makes the G19 unreliable. :rolleyes:

Which is odd coming from a country who makes 300K+ mile cars.

Gutshot John
12-10-08, 15:50
Seriously at $20-25/pop...how much cheaper do we want our magazines to be?

I don't see how saving a few bucks is worth it.