PDA

View Full Version : Rem UMC 55gr or Fed AE 55gr?

jhs1969
11-28-08, 16:39
Plan on a little shooting with friends and family during Christmas break, picked up a small (200rds) box of Rem UMC 55gr fmj. I also have 440 rds of AE 55gr fmj on hand.

Which would be better between these two? For what reasons?

ST911
11-28-08, 16:57
Plan on a little shooting with friends and family during Christmas break, picked up a small (200rds) box of Rem UMC 55gr fmj. I also have 440 rds of AE 55gr fmj on hand. Which would be better between these two? For what reasons?

I think more of the Federal AE than the UMC.

Recreational shooting with friends and family is a low-stakes activity. What a great opportunity to expend the UMC and save the AE for something else.

markm
11-29-08, 09:25
I think more of the Federal AE than the UMC.

Recreational shooting with friends and family is a low-stakes activity. What a great opportunity to expend the UMC and save the AE for something else.

I couldn't agree more.

buckshot1220
11-29-08, 11:10
Shoot the UMC, save the AE.

jhs1969
11-29-08, 12:05
Thanks guys, that is what my feelings were. But I thought I remembered someone complaining about the AE a short while back and just wanted more input.
Thanks again;)

Apollo11
11-29-08, 12:21
Thanks guys, that is what my feelings were. But I thought I remembered someone complaining about the AE a short while back and just wanted more input.
Thanks again;)

I dont think there is anything wrong with the AE stuff, its just not 5.56, and is not sealed. I think it is a great round for plinking with. UMC and AE are both great for general shooting, I too would shoot the UMC first. A lot of folks say that AE is the bottom of the barrel, but it works really well for me.

markm
11-30-08, 10:03
A lot of folks say that AE is the bottom of the barrel, but it works really well for me.

I've heard one guy say that Fed claims it's their bottom line ammo. But I've never heard of a single problem with the ammo.

ST911
11-30-08, 12:57
A lot of folks say that AE is the bottom of the barrel, but it works really well for me.

I've heard one guy say that Fed claims it's their bottom line ammo. But I've never heard of a single problem with the ammo.

It's their entry level general purpose economy load, and all that goes with it.

Federal reps use words like "plinking...training...practice...etc". There's a reason for that, but it doesn't mean it's bad. It just is what it is.