PDA

View Full Version : Novice needs must have spare parts list and AR manual recommendation

DMTJAGER
08-17-20, 14:39
Novice AR-15 owner in need of some help. Before I even bought my first AR-15 I amassed all the AR-15 specific cleaning tools I would EVER need and keep my AR-15's like all my firearms well cleaned and very well maintained.

I also put off for to long acquiring a good supply of spare parts for my AR's and now I need a list of what are the must have spare parts or part kits for my AR's to insure in the event of a part failure I can keep my AR's up and running. I have searched here and on the web for AR-15 spare parts kits but none really broke them down into the essential must have parts from the non essential parts.

I already own both a USGI AR-15 manual and the Complete AR-15 manual by Walt Kuleck so unless someone can recommend a better AR-15 manual(s) I should be good there.

Thanks as the help is much appreciated

opngrnd
08-17-20, 14:44
What is your budget? I generally recommend a spare BCG at a minimum.

Diamondback
08-17-20, 14:53
If you have budget, add Patrick Sweeney's "Gunsmithing the AR15" books, starting with "Bench Manual." Gun Digest throws out some sweetheart deals on 'em every now and then.

DMTJAGER
08-17-20, 15:36
What is your budget? I generally recommend a spare BCG at a minimum.

My budget is what ever is required to ensure my three AR's will continue to function. That is not to say my budget is limitless as it is not, but I what I need is the information to ensure I get the most spare parts for my money as can be done. In other words is it smarter money to buy say two complete BCG's and one bolt and extractor or two bolt/extractors and one BCG?

My initial thoughts were buy at least two complete pin sets, two complete spring sets and two complete BCG's but I do not posses the knowledge to know if this is the best expenditure of money on spare parts or should I select a different combination of parts for the same money that in the end will give me more critical parts vs my previous list of two each iof pins, springs and BCG's.

Hence coming here for advice on what is the best for the $$$ combination of spare parts to buy. When ever I buy a new firearm I make it a point to buy all moving or high wear parts that could fail and render the firearm inoperable. This is relatively simple for bolt and lever action rifles and even for my semi-auto HG's. And my bolt and lever action guns don not experience any where near the level of use for its moving parts as does my AR's. For my bolt and lever guns I simply bought either entire bolts or all replaceable parts for their bolts, doing this for all moving parts for my AR's would be quite expensive. But my AR's are a different platform and have far more parts then any of my other guns and are subject by the nature of their design and function to expose their parts to a much higher rate of wear than my non semi-auto rifles.

In 39 years of owning and shooting rifles, shotguns, and HG's I have had only 3 firearms experience a part fail (one was my fault) and only one require a trip back to the factory. Pretty good track record considering I've can not tell you how many rounds I have fired from them all but it's in the 10s of thousands each.
I had an extractor fail on my 870 Express first year I bought it and went back and has performed for the last 23 pheasant and turkey seasons flawlessly ever since
I had a firing pin on my Marlin 39 22lr brake from to much dry firing Marlin sent me a new one for free
Last was the spring for my ejector on my Savage 116 I bought and replaced myself.

So I know parts do fail and I don't want to be caught with an inoperable AR due to lack of parts.

GH41
08-17-20, 15:43
The best parts kit is a second and maybe a third rifle.

opngrnd
08-17-20, 16:20

This, but you can start simple. A spare BCG, springs and pins, and enough mags you'll never wear out is a good start. Eventually you'll buy a second AR, and you will probably never need more than that as a recreational shooter. I do ascribe to the "two is one and one is none" theory. Sionics Weapon Systems sells spare parts kits and BCGs, I'd start there.

DMTJAGER
08-17-20, 16:51

Were my original thoughts as well, but then I figured I'd rather not disable a functioning rifle to fix a malfunctioning one. I could be wrong but doesn't this Kind of defeat the purpose of buying a rifle VS buying parts?. Am I wrong in thinking having three functioning rifles and sufficient spare parts is better than long term disabling one rifle to fix another and end up with fewer functioning rifles?

JediGuy
08-17-20, 17:03
I’d grab an extra complete bolt, can pin, and firing pin or two, as long as you have a quality bolt carrier to begin with.
Then one or two complete small parts kits sans trigger. I ordered from Forward Controls Design.

This will allow you have backups, but then you also have a complete set of small parts if you decide to put together another rifle. Win-Win.

For reference material, Chris Bartocci’s book works just fine and goes on sale on Amazon occasionally.

markm
08-17-20, 17:20
A complete Lower Part Kit isn't bad. A spare bolt it good too. Action springs and gas tubes are cheap insurance as well.

Tony617
08-17-20, 20:57
I have some AR oops kit, spare gas rings, spare extractors, spare cam pins, a few firing pin retainers, and a few spare firing pins. I do have a few spare BCGs depending your budget so I can swap one out in an emergency.

sinister
08-17-20, 21:30
Bare minimum:

spare firing pin retaining pins;

extractors with springs and pins;

a spare bolt (complete, so all you have to do is drop it in and go back to work;

gas rings.

AndyLate
08-17-20, 21:45
Bare minimum:

spare firing pin retaining pins;

extractors with springs and pins;

a spare bolt (complete, so all you have to do is drop it in and go back to work;

gas rings.

IMHO, a spare cam pin, firing pin and retaining pin, and agree with the rest of your list.

SA80Dan
08-17-20, 22:26

I find if you collect too many spare parts, they do eventually become follow on spare rifles 😁 And the process begins again...OP if you want to avoid this phenomenon, I'd limit yourself to the basics as others have mentioned - spare bolt and cam pin, extractors/ejector, firing pins, assortment of springs (trigger, buffer, extractor /ejector) and gas rings.

ColtSeavers
08-17-20, 22:59
BCG
LPK
Crush washer
End plate (if you stake them)

GH41
08-19-20, 14:03
Were my original thoughts as well, but then I figured I'd rather not disable a functioning rifle to fix a malfunctioning one. I could be wrong but doesn't this Kind of defeat the purpose of buying a rifle VS buying parts?. Am I wrong in thinking having three functioning rifles and sufficient spare parts is better than long term disabling one rifle to fix another and end up with fewer functioning rifles?

You wouldn't rob parts from a functioning rifle. You would have a functioning rife to use while rounding up what you need to fix the other one. My point is without knowing what will brake how do you know what to plan for. Then there are the little things that you are as likely to lose as break. I don't think there is a single part that if lost of broken wouldn't render the rifle useless as we know it.

Colt Carson
08-19-20, 21:05
Kudos to you for preparing now. I remember back around 2013 (I think) when ammo was sold out and I couldn’t even find a spare firing pin online. Some of my spare parts are: firing pin and retainers, spare BCM bolt, gas rings, buffer, bolt cam pins, mil-spec charging handle, gas tube, and these springs... hammer, trigger, buffer (action), ejector, and extractor with inserts. And don’t forget plenty of quality magazines and ammo.

26 Inf
08-19-20, 23:31
The easy button:

AR15 Survival Kit: https://cmmginc.com/product/parts-kit-ar15-survival-kit/ - $65.00

ToolCraft C-158 BCG: https://www.primaryarms.com/toolcraft-556-nato-complete-m16-bolt-carrier-group-nitride - $79.99

I'd buy the complete BCG rather than just a spare bolt because there are other things than the bolt that can go wrong. In an austere environment, yep a bolt is something you can more easily carry, but if you buy a spare BCG you can carry that bolt in your spares when you are operating operationally. Plus, if something like a leaking gas key sidelines your rifle, you have the spare bolt carrier to replace it.

I'd also get a gas tube and a spare buffer spring.

When I buy something and have it shipped I generally throw in some spare parts, packets like the folowing don't break the bank, a lot of folks have them. I use Aero's as an example because I bought a couple when I ordered my Atlas Rail. When buying parts, if you can, buy from the same vendor, even if somethings are a little high, you usually make out on shipping from one place instead of several.

AR15/M4E1 Field Repair Kit - https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-m4e1-field-repair-kit $15.00

AR15/M5 Fix-It Kit - https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-fix-it-kit - $13.00

This was also a throw on to the order item whenever I order from Brownell's, now I have enough on hand:

Colt Extractor Spring: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/extractor-parts/extractor-springs/ar15a4-extractor-spring-assembly-prod4840.aspx

I also use these to build up spares:

KNS Precision’s Turned Lower Parts Kit - https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/kns-precisions-turned-lower-parts-kit/ - $20.00

IIRC, Duffy recommended me to the KNS selector detents, so that is where I got started with KNS. Also this is handy as heck when you start building:

KNS Hammer Cage - https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/hammer-cage/ - $25.00

It doesn't take long until you will have enough parts on hand to take off building.

Disciple
08-20-20, 08:45
The easy button:

AR15 Survival Kit: https://cmmginc.com/product/parts-kit-ar15-survival-kit/ - $65.00

I didn't anticipate the take-down and pivot pins. I don't have spares for those. How often are they lost?

mlberry
08-20-20, 09:29
I should think never.

Colt Carson
08-20-20, 09:53
I have a CMMG in .45acp which is fun for the steel plate range, but it’s not up to the quality of my other guns. I like to get my spare parts from Bravo Company, Midway or Brownells.

HeruMew
08-20-20, 10:04
If you have budget, add Patrick Sweeney's "Gunsmithing the AR15" books, starting with "Bench Manual." Gun Digest throws out some sweetheart deals on 'em every now and then.

I loved Pat's Vol 1, and Vol 2, while not as "technical" really deep dives into the history and functionality of the AR. He did a great job writing, illustrating, etc those books.

DMTJAGER
08-20-20, 11:03
Thanks to all for the replies they are of immeasurable value. I have one last question. I feel that buying at least two complete BCG's along with other parts is an excellent idea as it would allow me to get a malfunctioning rifle back up and running asap.

Special thanks to 26inf for not just recommending which parts but links where to buy. I did buy everything you recommended except the BCG
Unfortunately PA was out of BCG's so could someone please recommend a good BCG in the sub $140 price range before I go spend a couple hundred $$$'s on BCG's And what is the AR-15 communities opinion of titanium nitrite and boron nitrite coated BCG's? Are they better than standard nitrite coated BCG's and therefore worth the extra $$$?

Colt Carson
08-20-20, 11:16
[QUOTE=DMTJAGER;2875560]Thanks to all for the replies they are of immeasurable value. I have one last question. I feel that buying at least two complete BCG's along with other parts is an excellent idea as it would allow me to get a malfunctioning rifle back up and running asap.

Special thanks to 26inf for not just recommending which parts but links where to buy. I did buy everything you recommended except the BCG
Unfortunately PA was out of BCG's so could someone please recommend a good BCG in the sub $200 price range before I go spend a couple hundred $$$'s on BCG's And what is the AR-15 communities opinion of titanium nitrite and boron nitrite coated BCG's? Are they better than standard nitrite coated BCG's and therefore worth the extra $$$?[/https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-auto/

Colt Carson
08-20-20, 11:18
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-auto/

DMTJAGER
08-20-20, 11:22
Thanks for the suggestion Colt Carson but I erred and meant under $140 each for the BCG

Been looking at these:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/toolcraft-logo-d-premium-5-56-nickel-boron-bcg-with-carpenter-158-bolt-5165449729.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/toolcraft-logo-d-premium-5-56-nickel-boron-bcg-with-carpenter-158-bolt-5165449729.html

https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft_5-56_nato_black_nitride_bolt_carrier_group/

Diamondback
08-20-20, 11:25
Look up Toolcraft black-nitrides at ArmorAlly.com.

https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft_5-56_nato_black_nitride_bolt_carrier_group/

I got mine when they had C158's for around $90-100, but these should slide in right about your budget if they're in stock.

DMTJAGER
08-20-20, 11:37
Look up Toolcraft black-nitrides at ArmorAlly.com.

I got mine when they had C158's for around $90-100, but these should slide in right about your budget if they're in stock.

Thank you they are one of the three suppliers of Toolcraft BCG's I am considering buying from. If you could answer a question for me please,
Is their any advantage to a Nickle Boron coated BCG VS a standard nitrite coated one? I can buy a Toolcraft Nickle Boron coated BCG for the same price as Nitrite.

Never mind I just read a excellent N/B VS nitrite BCG and decided to stay with the nitrite.

Tony617
08-20-20, 13:48
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-auto/

This primary BCG in my AR and a spare BCM BCG as well. These are costly so I bought a few Toolcraft BCGs since they are cheaper and will use them as spares.

Definitely buy replacement gas rings. I had to place the gas rings on my factory built AR and I have shot over 4000 rounds with it. I suppose I could have waited since I was not having any issues with bolt short stoking or anything. It passed the first two tests but failed the test where you stand it on end and the bolt compressed.

https://youtu.be/OROZ9XQQ4s0

26 Inf
08-20-20, 16:43
I didn't anticipate the take-down and pivot pins. I don't have spares for those. How often are they lost?

Virtually never, but you'll need them for the next build. Let me explain that - I haven't used a complete lower parts kit in quite a while - I have been using LaRue MBT's as fire control groups, I use B5 Type 23 grips, I install an ambi-safety, an aftermarket enhanced bolt catch, and generally an ambi-mag release.

So, there are quite a few pieces in a standard, or even minus, LPK that I don't use. I've found that with something along the lines of the Aero AR15/M5 Fix-It Kit, and the KNS Precision’s Turned Lower Parts Kit, I have more than enough parts to put together a lower - with the aftermarket trigger, safety, bolt catch, mag-release and grip that I usually install.

I figure if you are going to start replacing springs, etc, the next step is building. It's like making babies, a fun, fairly easy activity that can easily get out of hand.

Diamondback
08-20-20, 16:50
What 26 said. They're like Lay's potato chips, ya can't eat just one--hell, I don't even LIKE AR's (the weapons of WW2 are more my thing, AR's are pure utility) and I've already built three and a half over about six years.

HeruMew
08-20-20, 17:50
Virtually never, but you'll need them for the next build. Let me explain that - I haven't used a complete lower parts kit in quite a while - I have been using LaRue MBT's as fire control groups, I use B5 Type 23 grips, I install an ambi-safety, an aftermarket enhanced bolt catch, and generally an ambi-mag release.

So, there are quite a few pieces in a standard, or even minus, LPK that I don't use. I've found that with something along the lines of the Aero AR15/M5 Fix-It Kit, and the KNS Precision’s Turned Lower Parts Kit, I have more than enough parts to put together a lower - with the aftermarket trigger, safety, bolt catch, mag-release and grip that I usually install.

I figure if you are going to start replacing springs, etc, the next step is building. It's like making babies, a fun, fairly easy activity that can easily get out of hand.

One of the most sound pieces of advice here. For sure. Great input on the thread overall 26.

What 26 said. They're like Lay's potato chips, ya can't eat just one--hell, I don't even LIKE AR's (the weapons of WW2 are more my thing, AR's are pure utility) and I've already built three and a half over about six years.

If that's the case, I must be half way through the bag.

I have put together far more ARs than I am willing to admit to this board... Or my wife.

Disciple
08-20-20, 20:34

:laugh: