PDA

View Full Version : Troy vs MI BUIS as primary sights

grizzlyblake
08-18-20, 06:46
Which sights would you recommend for a spare rifle that will be set up and zeroed as irons only, to potentially wear an optic in the future?

The irons will be left in the up position and would be pressed into service if needed.

Are the Troys durable enough in the up/locked position to handle impacts, or would the non-locking MI Combat sights be a better option as they will fold on impact, but would theoretically not break?

1986s4
08-18-20, 08:16
I haze zero experience with the Troy. I shoot irons only and my favorite is the DD A1a iron sight. It's a A1 windage only but has an A2 flip aperture. It does not fold down, very rugged.

omegajb
08-18-20, 08:27
I have several Troy flip up sights and a fixed front sight and they are solid and highly recommend them.

I don't have any experience with MI sights.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

R0CKETMAN
08-18-20, 08:53
I’d run the Troy fixed or DD

Renegade04
08-18-20, 08:59
It would be a toss-up. Troy sights work very well. I have had a set for several years. I also have two ARs with the MI Combat Rifle Sights and I am impressed with these as well. The MI sights, when folded, lay flatter than the Troys. This is good when you decide to get the optic and do not need the sights up until needed. The price on the MI Combat Rifle Sights makes them a really good buy. Usually, the Troy BattlesSights run a few bucks more, but can be found on sale every once in a while making them more affordable. Both sights are constructed well. Again, the choice would be a toss-up.

js8588
08-18-20, 09:00
Personally I'd recommend the Magpul Pros. Thinner front sight post, durable nitrided steel construction, & solid lockup on the pic rail.

Tony617
08-18-20, 09:54
I have Troy flip up battle sights and I really like them. I was lucky and bough a few sets when they were on sale since when they are not on sale the price was a bit higher. I have no experience with the MI sights.

Saber329
08-18-20, 10:42
I have the Magpul Pros and the DD A1 or A1.5 (or something like that). Both sights are well-made and solid.

RUTGERS95
08-18-20, 11:42
I won't ever use Troy so the choice for me would be obvious. the MI sights are pretty good, durable, reviews are good, hold adjustments well, nitride and I believe the sight post is narrower. That said, I like the ARMs sights

Disciple
08-18-20, 14:22
I won't ever use Troy

Why not?

meanmotorscooter
08-18-20, 14:44
UTG MNT-957 Rear (https://extreemtactical.com/utg-mnt-957-accu-sync-spring-loaded-ar15-flip-up-rear-sight-black/)

UTG MNT-757 Front (https://extreemtactical.com/utg-mnt-757-accu-sync-spring-loaded-ar15-flip-up-front-sight-black/)

Sry0fcr
08-18-20, 14:54
I’d run the Troy fixed or DD

+1 except that Scalarworks fixed sights are works of art. Flip-ups on an irons only gun don't sit right with me...

titsonritz
08-18-20, 15:43
As true back up sight I prefer the Magpul Pros, (the older version without the elevation adjustment) because they are nice and slim, completely unobtrusive and blend well with the receiver. For a primary rear sight I use Scalarworks PEAK or LMT L8A.

js8588
08-18-20, 15:44
UTG MNT-957 Rear (https://extreemtactical.com/utg-mnt-957-accu-sync-spring-loaded-ar15-flip-up-rear-sight-black/)

UTG MNT-757 Front (https://extreemtactical.com/utg-mnt-757-accu-sync-spring-loaded-ar15-flip-up-front-sight-black/)

Friends don't let friends buy UTG

Glock9mm1990
08-18-20, 16:03
I run ether Troy or KAC flip up sights.

GH41
08-18-20, 17:09
Why not?

He is making a statement based on Troy's hiring of a person he doesn't like.

Renegade04
08-18-20, 17:09
I have the Magpul Pros and the DD A1 or A1.5 (or something like that). Both sights are well-made and solid.

MAGPUL PROs are another really good option. They are my other "go-to" BUISs.

MontanaMarine
08-18-20, 17:18
I've got a Troy fixed rear on one of my pistol uppers. No complaints.

https://i.imgur.com/Ri3WK3E.jpg

vicious_cb
08-18-20, 21:02
Which sights would you recommend for a spare rifle that will be set up and zeroed as irons only, to potentially wear an optic in the future?

The irons will be left in the up position and would be pressed into service if needed.

Are the Troys durable enough in the up/locked position to handle impacts, or would the non-locking MI Combat sights be a better option as they will fold on impact, but would theoretically not break?

IMHO iron sights, particularly folding ones are BY FAR less durable than a quality optic like an Aimpoint. As a sample size of one Ive had Troys fail on me when the locking detents spontaneously fell out of the sight making it flop down after every shot. In contrast Ive never had a problem with the H-1, T-1, T-2, Trijicons, Nightforce, Vortex optics Ive owned.

If you want to run irons as a primary I would get a carry handle or the fixed LMTs or DDs. One good drop with a folding sight in the up position and its done. I dont care if designed of fold on impact, Im not trusting it to stay zeroed. While Ive personally thrown a rifle with a H-1 7ft onto a wooden deck that landed on the optic and it still stayed zeroed. Im sure dudes like Euro have done far more abusive testing of Aimpoints than I have but from my experience and testing I would not run a folding BUIS as a primary. They are just too fragile.

Disciple
08-18-20, 21:07
Friends don't let friends buy UTG

I got a UTG MT-754X as a prop for an experimental build just to see how everything fit up and the machining is surprisingly good, in line with my MBUS Pro rear, but of course without the difficulty of a folding mechanism. (My own gun has a FSB so I don't have a removable front sight.) I paid $13 including shipping, it's not made in China, the post adjusts properly, and the mount feels solid at 35 inch pounds. I think I'm going to run it for a while as a training implement. It won't be a surprise if the mount cracks and it falls off but until then how can I complain?

kyjd75
08-21-20, 18:29
I like the Troys, and have several sets of them on several of my rifles.

1986s4
08-22-20, 12:21
IMHO iron sights, particularly folding ones are BY FAR less durable than a quality optic like an Aimpoint. As a sample size of one Ive had Troys fail on me when the locking detents spontaneously fell out of the sight making it flop down after every shot. In contrast Ive never had a problem with the H-1, T-1, T-2, Trijicons, Nightforce, Vortex optics Ive owned.

If you want to run irons as a primary I would get a carry handle or the fixed LMTs or DDs. One good drop with a folding sight in the up position and its done. I dont care if designed of fold on impact, Im not trusting it to stay zeroed. While Ive personally thrown a rifle with a H-1 7ft onto a wooden deck that landed on the optic and it still stayed zeroed. Im sure dudes like Euro have done far more abusive testing of Aimpoints than I have but from my experience and testing I would not run a folding BUIS as a primary. They are just too fragile.

I think the rail section would break off before the DD sight broke.

maximus83
08-22-20, 12:43
Troy on most rifles, and DD fixed rear on one that has FSB.

Recently decided to try the MBUS Pro adjustable sight (https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/sights/mbus-pro/mbus-pro-lr-adjustable-sight-rear.html) on one rifle, just mounted but haven't tested yet.

maximus83
08-22-20, 12:44
For a primary rear sight I use Scalarworks PEAK

What do you like about the Scalarworks compared to others you've tried? Interested in that design...

seb5
08-22-20, 18:22
OP, You said your plan is to run irons and maybe an optic in the future. If it will wear an optic with magnification then you're better off just going with a folder. If your eventual plans include an RDS then go with a fixed set. FWIW, I used Troys for years, maybe longer and I've never had issues, but I've had 1 Aimpoimt T-1 fail in the rain over many years and tens of thousands of rounds. My later builds generally get Magpul Pro's. FWIW the DD fixed rear is hard to beat in my opinion.

Red*Lion
08-22-20, 19:32
I like Midwest Industries flip-up irons. Aero Precision flip-up irons are pretty good as well. Also can't go wrong with Magpul or DD fixed irons.

masakari
08-23-20, 06:58
If this rifle will be irons only for a while, fixed sights are the best. I recommend Scalar Works or Daniel Defense, but there are other quality options. These will work just fine if you plan on eventually getting a non-magnified optic on a lower 1/3 mount.

However, if you want sights to fold for use with a magnified optic later, then I would only recommend sights that lock securely in the deployed position. Of those, my definitive favorites are LWRC Skirmish Sights. They are vaguely similar to Troy, but a much better rear aperture design.

https://www.okshooters.com/data/MetaMirrorCache/i983.photobucket.com_albums_ae320_promiseofwars_FullSizeRender_12_zpse088c2b9.jpg

titsonritz
08-23-20, 19:33
What do you like about the Scalarworks compared to others you've tried? Interested in that design...

I like how streamed lined and snag free they are and find that helps them work well with an Aimpoint Micro. They light weight but strong. The aperture and front post are sized just right for fast accurate shooting if using as stand alone sights, I like the tool-less adjustments and for mounting/removing. The machining is absolutely first class.