PDA

View Full Version : ACOG TA-11E

mmike87
11-28-08, 19:02
I have an ACOG TA-11E (.308 BDC) on an FAL currently.

I've never used an ACOG on an M4gery before, and would like to give it a whirl. I had read somewhere that the .308 BDC was "close enough" for some 5.56 loads.

If anyone can point me in the direction of that info, I'd appreciate it. I may just not worry about it since where I shoot I can't go out very far, anyway so no BDC is really necessary. If I like it on the the 5.56 rifle, I can't afford another ACOG for quite some time.

Thanks.

Damascus
12-03-08, 11:03
You shouldn't worry about those BDC lines anyways, because their never spot on perfect... what I do (if you have a large enough range) is set up targets at 100m, 150, 200, etc.. all the way out as far as you can, then zero the scope (depending on the scope, I zero my TA01NSN at 100m), then start shooting at the further targets, in 50m intervals (or 25 if you really wanna get it right), and take note of how much the bullet drops, then just memorize it... for example, with my load, if I am shooting at a target 300m away, I know to aim a tad low, because for my load, my 300m mark actually is dead on at 340m... So, I just have to memorize, rather than 300 - 400 - 500 - 600 etc, I use 350 - 450 - 525, etc, rounded off to the nearest 25 or 50m...
Everyone has their own rituals and methods, but this is what works for me. My ACOG is set up for a 14.5" M4 shooting 62gr. M855 - but I am using a 16" shooting 69gr. BTHPs, so after 200m, it shoots a lot flatter than what it's set up for, so I "re-memorized" the distances for those lines.
It sounds very time consuming, but it only took me about 4 hours and 75 rounds to do this perfectly.

mmike87
12-08-08, 19:15
You shouldn't worry about those BDC lines anyways, because their never spot on perfect... what I do (if you have a large enough range) is set up targets at 100m, 150, 200, etc.. all the way out as far as you can, then zero the scope (depending on the scope, I zero my TA01NSN at 100m), then start shooting at the further targets, in 50m intervals (or 25 if you really wanna get it right), and take note of how much the bullet drops, then just memorize it... for example, with my load, if I am shooting at a target 300m away, I know to aim a tad low, because for my load, my 300m mark actually is dead on at 340m... So, I just have to memorize, rather than 300 - 400 - 500 - 600 etc, I use 350 - 450 - 525, etc, rounded off to the nearest 25 or 50m...
Everyone has their own rituals and methods, but this is what works for me. My ACOG is set up for a 14.5" M4 shooting 62gr. M855 - but I am using a 16" shooting 69gr. BTHPs, so after 200m, it shoots a lot flatter than what it's set up for, so I "re-memorized" the distances for those lines.
It sounds very time consuming, but it only took me about 4 hours and 75 rounds to do this perfectly.

OK, thanks for idea. I can only shoot out to 300 yards at my range anyway, so I could only go out that far. I don't want to get a new ACOG - I don't shoot the FAL much wiht the cost of .308 ammo and want the ACOG to get more use.

Time consuming? Who's keeping track of time at the range? :)

Savior 6
12-08-08, 20:04
mmike87, I had thought about using the TA-11E for my 16" DSA because I am very fond of ACOGs. How well does this set-up work for you and what type of FAL do you have? Thanks for any info, it would help me out alot.

mmike87
12-09-08, 06:52
mmike87, I had thought about using the TA-11E for my 16" DSA because I am very fond of ACOGs. How well does this set-up work for you and what type of FAL do you have? Thanks for any info, it would help me out alot.

I just slapped the TA11E on the AR last week and have not yet been to the range.

I have what I suspect is a ban-era DSA FAL (it has the integral muzzel break machined into the barrel). I bought it second hand from someone's collection, but it was unfired. It's a real nice rifle. I had to put the SAW grip on it in order for me to be able to easily work the safety, but that was a cheap upgrade and well worth it.

However, I had to use a cheek riser for the FAL to use the ACOG, as it sits too high for a good cheek weld. I am going to try and shoot the FAL the way God intended - with irons - for a while and see how I like that.