PDA

View Full Version : Austin Defunds the Police, the Governor fights back.

Averageman
08-20-20, 11:23
http://https://www.newsweek.com/city-austin-says-it-will-continue-defund-police-despite-texas-governors-tax-threat-1526128
The city of Austin said it is "committed to continue" defunding the police despite Texas Governor Greg Abbott's threat to freeze property tax in the city.he city of Austin said it is "committed to continue" defunding the police despite Texas Governor Greg Abbott's threat to freeze property tax in the city.

"Today, a group of all-white members of our state government, including Governor Greg Abbott, attacked the Black Lives Matter movement," Council Member Greg Casar said in a Tuesday statement. "Gov. Abbott could have held a press conference to express his support for the George Floyd Act. Instead, he held a press conference to fear-monger and lie in order to distract from the fact that 10,000 Texans have now died from COVID-19."

Abbott announced a proposal that would freeze the property taxes of any city that is considering diverting funds from local law enforcement.
"Cities that endanger residents by reducing law enforcement should not then be able to turn around and go back and get more property tax dollars from those same residents whose lives the city just endangered," the governor said at a news conference.

Sounds common sense to me. I do however wonder how Greg Casar gets away with his anti-White diatribes and is never called out?

Esq.
08-20-20, 13:16
http://https://www.newsweek.com/city-austin-says-it-will-continue-defund-police-despite-texas-governors-tax-threat-1526128
The city of Austin said it is "committed to continue" defunding the police despite Texas Governor Greg Abbott's threat to freeze property tax in the city.he city of Austin said it is "committed to continue" defunding the police despite Texas Governor Greg Abbott's threat to freeze property tax in the city.

"Today, a group of all-white members of our state government, including Governor Greg Abbott, attacked the Black Lives Matter movement," Council Member Greg Casar said in a Tuesday statement. "Gov. Abbott could have held a press conference to express his support for the George Floyd Act. Instead, he held a press conference to fear-monger and lie in order to distract from the fact that 10,000 Texans have now died from COVID-19."

Abbott announced a proposal that would freeze the property taxes of any city that is considering diverting funds from local law enforcement.
"Cities that endanger residents by reducing law enforcement should not then be able to turn around and go back and get more property tax dollars from those same residents whose lives the city just endangered," the governor said at a news conference.

Sounds common sense to me. I do however wonder how Greg Casar gets away with his anti-White diatribes and is never called out?

They are going to find that if they don't fund the police, that many, many more crimes are going to become Death Penalty crimes here in Texas.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-20-20, 14:32
They are going to find that if they don't fund the police, that many, many more crimes are going to become Death Penalty crimes here in Texas.

That was my thinking as well.

Pappabear
08-20-20, 14:41
It’s fun insane. In Texas for the love of God. I do admit weirdo Austin, but shit. God Bless the Gov

PB

Diamondback
08-20-20, 15:43
And given how high TX property taxes are IIRC, that's a pretty serious threat.

WickedWillis
08-20-20, 16:49
Sounds like Abbott was a good elect.

Lefty223
08-20-20, 18:29
^^^ This! ^^^

But dayum, sounds I’m not the only surprised that this happened ... in Texas? Jysus ... I was going to move there, but work for biotech drug companies and am told the only ‘drug’ companies there are meth houses!

ColtSeavers
08-20-20, 18:54
Preaching to the chior but...

Next time you see signs that say "Keep [insert city here] Weird", start fighting back, because this is the end result.

Ironman8
08-21-20, 10:31

Meh...he's allowing/supporting mask orders punishable by fines...F him. Not so sure there's been much done to improve carry laws here either. Somebody else is getting my vote next election.

WickedWillis
08-21-20, 10:34
Meh...he's allowing/supporting mask orders punishable by fines...F him. Not so sure there's been much done to improve carry laws here either. Somebody else is getting my vote next election.

So, not all good. I get that.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-21-20, 11:48

Agreed. Plus he still has bars shut down here. Eff Abbott.

cspackler
08-22-20, 08:23
Wow. Another empty threat from our liberal turd gov pretending to be our friend.
They never raise property taxes through legislation anyway - every year the county tells us our house is worth 20% more so taxes on it go up by the max 10%.

There has been one small addition to my tax over the last decade for community college funding in hays county. I pay double the tax I did back then.

I'm just glad I decided to live 500m outside the travis county/Austin border. At least I can feel slightly more separation from racist commies like casar.