PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Mark 6 1-6 or NF nx8 1-8?

Twilk73
08-20-20, 23:15
I don't need 8x this is an 11.3" sbr. I'm torn between these two optics. Most important thing is eye box/1x style feeling and daylight bright red dot. Right now I'm leaning towards the nightforce but I feel like the mark 6 is the better option for my needs. Anyone have experience with both or similar please chime in. I'm new to lpvo's but I've been reading a lot. So hot me with it?.

Zane1844
08-21-20, 02:13
I had both. I liked the MK6 better, mainly due to the reticle and the glass looked nicer.

For an SBR I'd look at the Razor or Khales though, since 1x will be the most important function.

WS6
08-21-20, 02:48
I don't need 8x this is an 11.3" sbr. I'm torn between these two optics. Most important thing is eye box/1x style feeling and daylight bright red dot. Right now I'm leaning towards the nightforce but I feel like the mark 6 is the better option for my needs. Anyone have experience with both or similar please chime in. I'm new to lpvo's but I've been reading a lot. So hot me with it?.

I have owned both. I prefer the NX8. The downside is that the NX8 has a slightly smaller eyebox coupled with a larger "occular ring" occluded area. The upside is that t he NX8 has no "flickering illumination" issues and the reticle is very usable without battery, even.

The NX8 is cheaper, smaller, and at LEAST as tough.

I sold my MK6, have an NX8, and am not looking for another MK6.

*MK6 glass is better, as noted, but it's not night and day. More like 2020 Camaro vs. Mustang instead of 2001 Camaro vs Mustang, lol!

maximus83
08-21-20, 10:51
I'd skip both of those and get either a Vortex Razor Gen 2e 1-6, or the Gen 3 1-10x.

Both are decent optics, but both have their issues and IMO the Razors are better all-around choices for the $$.

Twilk73
08-21-20, 10:54
I'd skip both of those and get either a Vortex Razor Gen 2e 1-6, or the Gen 3 1-10x.

Both are decent optics, but both have their issues and IMO the Razors are better all-around choices for the $$.

The razors look great spec wise but vortex needs to put them on a diet. Really the reason I'm looking at these two optics is because their relatively light weight compared to others and they are both still good brands with good duality.

maximus83
08-21-20, 11:10
Agree I'd love to see those razors at around 18-19 oz tops. But to do that, without compromising optics or reliability, they'd probably have to increase price a lot.

RHINOWSO
08-21-20, 11:32
Unless you have extremely poor fundamentals, there is nothing wrong with the NX8. I returned a Razor-E and bought 2 NX8s.

I have a PST 1-6 (80% of the razor) and it's nice for the price, but at $1300-ish +/- the -E was a disappointment.

HKGuns
08-21-20, 12:25
I'm very happy with my Leupy 1-6.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p371852401-5.jpg

maximus83
08-21-20, 12:42
I'm very happy with my Leupy 1-6.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p371852401-5.jpg

What reticle do you have on your MK6?

HKGuns
08-21-20, 12:47
Had to check the box, which indicates Illuminated TMR-D.

maximus83
08-21-20, 12:53
Had to check the box, which indicates Illuminated TMR-D.

Nice, I love that reticle. Nice combination of clean/uncluttered view for holds and easy-to-pick up illuminated circle (https://www.leupold.com/reticles/reticle-tmr-d-illuminated-131).

Twilk73
08-21-20, 16:09
I just sighted in my kids 22 rifle. I put a leupold freedome 1.5-4x on it. I was only able to shoot out to 100 yards today but I also ran drills on the targets 7-50 yards. At 1.5x the retical is not hard to pick up. What sucks is the 1.57 mount. I feel like I need to really get my head down to get into the sight picture. Also the eye relief is fine but shooting at 4x with this lpvo is not like shooting a 4x leupold hamr. The hamr is way easier to pick up and shoot at close range. It probably helps that the field of view is so big.

So what's preferred 1.7 or 1.93 mount height? I think I'll try a 1.7". Grand thumb says that's the height he likes plus I think i just need a little more height. Also is 1x going to be even easier to pick up than 1.5x I know the answer is yes but is it way easier or hardly noticeable?

I appreciate all the feedback this far.

maximus83
08-21-20, 16:18
Also is 1x going to be even easier to pick up than 1.5x I know the answer is yes but is it way easier or hardly noticeable?

Not a high speed guy :cool: here, so take with a grain of salt and wait for one of the real operators to stop by. But until they get here....

I have a Leupy Mk IV 1.5-5x20 (this one (https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/mark-4-mr-t-1-5-5x20mm)), which was considered cool 5 or 6 years ago until "daytime visible reticle" became a hard requirement. Still like the glass and still use it on one of my rifles. You could use this as an HD gun for sure, it's pretty fast on target, but I'm noticeably faster on target with a straight Aimpoint T1/T2, and with my Vortex Razor 1-6, which is a true 1X. I'd say stick with the true 1X, in this day and age, there's no reason to settle for less. FWIW.

Disciple
08-21-20, 17:29
I just sighted in my kids 22 rifle. I put a leupold freedome 1.5-4x on it. I was only able to shoot out to 100 yards today but I also ran drills on the targets 7-50 yards. At 1.5x the retical is not hard to pick up. What sucks is the 1.57 mount. I feel like I need to really get my head down to get into the sight picture.

Isn't 1.57" already higher than standard irons? Are you sure a kid especially wants greater sight height than that?

Twilk73
08-21-20, 18:43
Isn't 1.57" already higher than standard irons? Are you sure a kid especially wants greater sight height than that?

No a kid probably doesn't. Im looking to get a lpvo for my rifle and I'm talking about getting a higher mount for that. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

dpb1776
08-24-20, 23:28
I have been looking at the same two optics. Have checked both out at the range and at a local shop. I decided on the MK6. I like the Nightforce but the size of the reticle when magnified kind of through me off. Despite the extra magnification on the Nightforce I liked the FOV on the Leupold better at max. I'm putting a 2.5-10 Nightforce on my SPR what I find strange is I like the SFP on that one but decided on first focal on the 1-6 granted I also will be running a offset sight with 2.5-10. The Razor is nice but as others mentioned it is a tank. But I don't think you could go wrong with either both have there advantages.

Twilk73
08-25-20, 20:19
I have been looking at the same two optics. Have checked both out at the range and at a local shop. I decided on the MK6. I like the Nightforce but the size of the reticle when magnified kind of through me off. Despite the extra magnification on the Nightforce I liked the FOV on the Leupold better at max. I'm putting a 2.5-10 Nightforce on my SPR what I find strange is I like the SFP on that one but decided on first focal on the 1-6 granted I also will be running a offset sight with 2.5-10. The Razor is nice but as others mentioned it is a tank. But I don't think you could go wrong with either both have there advantages.

I think the field of view is deceiving. If the leupold was an 8x it would have a fov similar to the NF. I'm leaning on the NF right now im not interested in sub moa and my longest range right now is 500 yards. My reason for wanting ffp is the zero remains the same on all magnifications.

Sadly I'm just trying to extrapolate as much information as possible so that I can spend as little as possible. So I am thankful for all this info.

grizzman
08-25-20, 20:45
. My reason for wanting ffp is the zero remains the same on all magnifications.

Do you mean the reticle subtensions remain the same, and you typed it wrong?

Twilk73
08-25-20, 21:15
Do you mean the reticle subtensions remain the same, and you typed it wrong?

Yes, this is what I ment. Im new to all of this.

dpb1776
08-25-20, 23:00
I think the field of view is deceiving. If the leupold was an 8x it would have a fov similar to the NF. I'm leaning on the NF right now im not interested in sub moa and my longest range right now is 500 yards. My reason for wanting ffp is the zero remains the same on all magnifications.

Sadly I'm just trying to extrapolate as much information as possible so that I can spend as little as possible. So I am thankful for all this info.

I sort of misspoke what I was trying to say I agree the field of view would be narrower, what I meant to imply was the Nightforce reticle grew to much and obscures some of the targets, what I liked about the Leupold was the ability to be more precise at range past 400 yards, range I belong to goes to 1250 yards so I can defiantly let the gun stretch it’s legs. Nothing wrong with trying to get the best value for your hard earned money trust me brother I do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk