PDA

View Full Version : Quick question -- Larue rail improvements?

LOKNLOD
11-10-06, 18:38
Did LT add the spacer between the rail body and barrel nut when the QD sling sockets were added, or have they always been included? If it was added, what was the purpose? Looks like the barrel nut changed to accommodate the spacer as well.

Hoplophile
11-10-06, 21:34
Always been that way, so far as I know.

MudBug
11-10-06, 22:35
Always been that way, so far as I know.

Nope, I have an old 12" that doesn't have/use a spacer.

FALbert
11-11-06, 05:00
Nope, I have an old 12" that doesn't have/use a spacer.

I have never owned an ealier Larue rail. My only experience is with the current generation. How was the locking plate secured on the original models? On the new ones, the spacer is threaded for this purpose. Were the threads for the allen screws cut into the rail itself?

Robb Jensen
11-11-06, 05:38
I have never owned an ealier Larue rail. My only experience is with the current generation. How was the locking plate secured on the original models? On the new ones, the spacer is threaded for this purpose. Were the threads for the allen screws cut into the rail itself?

On the older Larue the locking screws threaded into the end cap of the rail (the end cap had the female threads).

The new ones have the plate. I'm not an engineer but I think the new way is a lot stronger and probably easier/cheaper to make. The plate is now secured by the indexing pins, the gas tube and the locking screws. I think this is much more rigid.

223Rem
11-12-06, 23:29
Could someone lay out the unassembled parts of the new LaRue Rails and take a pic to post here. I only own the older model and would like to see what I may be missing.

TIA

LOKNLOD
11-12-06, 23:43
Could someone lay out the unassembled parts of the new LaRue Rails and take a pic to post here. I only own the older model and would like to see what I may be missing.

TIA

There are some pretty good pics in the how-to instructions on LT's site.
Link (http://216.23.214.70/lt/handguards.html)