PDA

View Full Version : Well That Sucked...

SteyrAUG
08-24-20, 14:41
Left Florida for Iowa so I wouldn't have to do hurricanes anymore.

Didn't even know these were a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_2020_Midwest_derecho

So there I was Monday morning looking at 99-100 mph winds thinking "this seems so familiar." Thankfully it was only a 30 minute event vs. a 12 hour event, but still managed to drop most of the trees in my yard onto my roof and deck.

Might be the most significant storm damage I've experienced despite 30 years in South Florida.

https://media.tegna-media.com/assets/WOI/images/59886903-9f89-41a3-a4f9-6b3f628284a8/59886903-9f89-41a3-a4f9-6b3f628284a8_1920x1080.jpg

Impressively we had power back up in 4 days despite the fact that they had to rehang a lot of lines in town, I heard 90% lost power.

Cedar Rapids got hit even harder with winds up to 126 mph.

Nice part of small town Iowa, everyone with a chain saw out clearing trees from the road, people I didn't even know from around the block pulling logs out of the way with 4 wheelers.

My yard is mostly cleared up, have electric and got the internet last night. Now it's just time to suffer the insurance claims process.

just a scout
08-24-20, 14:50
Illinois and Chicago suburbs got the crap smashed out of us. Joliet had trees, fences and utility poles down everywhere. Even the complete roof off a house sitting in an intersection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BoringGuy45
08-24-20, 14:54
Why Iowa? Now you have to deal with tornadoes.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-24-20, 15:00

This. You just traded one that gives you a multi day warning to instant storms with 200+ mph winds.

SteyrAUG
08-24-20, 15:04

Tornadoes you get some warning and it's typically a short event.

In Florida you have to prep for everyone Cat 3+ that "might" land in South Florida which is almost all of them, all season long. Too much work.

Also when we took the July 19 tornado in town (F3), half the town was still up. Gas stations were open, Wal Mart was open, hardware store was open and many food options. After a hurricane NOTHING is open and it's county wide or multiple county wide.

My friends who got hit hard by the July tornado simply camped out at my house (food, showers, electricity, etc.) until their place was a little more up and running.

SteyrAUG
08-24-20, 15:06
This. You just traded one that gives you a multi day warning to instant storms with 200+ mph winds.

Family is originally from here. I lived here and went to school here for years. Nicer people generally. Calmer life.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-24-20, 15:22
Family is originally from here. I lived here and went to school here for years. Nicer people generally. Calmer life.

Well that makes more sense. Hate that you are having to deal with it but glad you are safe.

FlyingHunter
08-24-20, 16:57

Well wishes for you and your family.

SteyrAUG
08-24-20, 17:21
Well that makes more sense. Hate that you are having to deal with it but glad you are safe.

Even with freak storms like derechos and the potential for tornado's, the town has a pretty good track record and it's only taken one significant hit in the past 40 years or so, which is a lot better than the track record for storms in south florida, we even got tornados and one year a pretty robust one dropped a lot of debris in my yard.

So it's still been a trade up all things considered.

Well wishes for you and your family.

Thanks, but we are doing better than most. Clean up, some repairs and a lot of insurance claims challenges, but I've been through worse in Florida.

About the only thing I miss is really good pizza.

_Stormin_
08-24-20, 19:10
The pizza is easy enough to make on your own. You just need a stone for the oven. :-)

Glad to read that everyone is well through the storm.

BoringGuy45
08-24-20, 19:24
Thanks, but we are doing better than most. Clean up, some repairs and a lot of insurance claims challenges, but I've been through worse in Florida.

Get yourself an Ooni Pro pizza oven. They're about $500 and with a little practice you can make professional quality pies. We got one a couple weeks ago and we haven't felt the need to order pizza since!

jbjh
08-24-20, 19:29
Even with freak storms like derechos and the potential for tornado's, the town has a pretty good track record and it's only taken one significant hit in the past 40 years or so, which is a lot better than the track record for storms in south florida, we even got tornados and one year a pretty robust one dropped a lot of debris in my yard.

So it's still been a trade up all things considered.

Glad you and the fam are OK.

As for pizza, anytime you can get the cool space temp above 500 without directly torching the dough, you’re in business!

Sent from 80ms in the future

Averageman
08-24-20, 19:36
There is a heck of a lot of corn being plowed under today

Bulletdog
08-24-20, 21:53
I spent a couple of months in and around DesMoines in winter of 2006. Amazing place. Some of the nicest and most genuine people I've ever met. Courteous, friendly. helpful, kind, etc... Every one was like that every where I went. I figured there must be an A-hole somewhere in DesMoines... That's when I realized: If you don't know who the A-hole in the state is, well...

I seriously considered selling everything here and moving there permanently. I'd be able to build some deluxe winter accommodations for the animals, and live like a king. Wifey wasn't going for it though, so here I sit. But hey! Looks like we'll be able to buy more standard capacity mags soon!

If you want to get away from all that crazy weather, come here to SoCal. Best weather on the entire planet. No bugs. Only one type of venomous snake and only in the country areas. Just ignore the lunatic criminals running the state and stay away from San Fran. That's what we do. When King Newsom is on the TV I just say "Lalalalalalalalalalal" as I quickly change the channel. The rest of the place is filled with decent people who still think sensibly, though not as sensibly as Iowans. I'll kick my Marxist tenant off my ranch property and you can live on a beautiful hilltop overlooking an uninhabited valley. My private shooting range is fully equipped and just 15 minutes away. You can demonstrate proper katana technique on all the pumpkins every November. I can tune up your dog's protection training... What? No? I think I can hear you laughing from here. Or is that gasping in horror?

SteyrAUG
08-24-20, 23:51
The pizza is easy enough to make on your own. You just need a stone for the oven. :-)

Glad to read that everyone is well through the storm.

I make a good pizza, I just don't have easy access to Grande cheese, I'm too lazy to make my own sauce and I don't have a Baker's Pride oven.

SteyrAUG
08-24-20, 23:55
Get yourself an Ooni Pro pizza oven. They're about $500 and with a little practice you can make professional quality pies. We got one a couple weeks ago and we haven't felt the need to order pizza since!

Now THAT looks interesting. Might need one for the deck when it's finally rebuilt.

Bantee
08-25-20, 00:32
I live 20 min south of Des Moines, & we got whacked pretty good as well.
I was fortunate, & was only without power for about 6 hrs...a huge THANK YOU to the army of linemen from neighboring states who came & hooked us back up..those folks rocked!!

fred
08-25-20, 03:16
Glad you and yours made it through OK! +1 on the midwestern small town life; I thought it sucked when I was younger now it sounds pretty good, even with the occasional bad storm.

Bubba FAL
08-28-20, 17:27
Tornadoes you get some warning and it's typically a short event.

In Florida you have to prep for everyone Cat 3+ that "might" land in South Florida which is almost all of them, all season long. Too much work.

Also when we took the July 19 tornado in town (F3), half the town was still up. Gas stations were open, Wal Mart was open, hardware store was open and many food options. After a hurricane NOTHING is open and it's county wide or multiple county wide.

My friends who got hit hard by the July tornado simply camped out at my house (food, showers, electricity, etc.) until their place was a little more up and running.

F3 ain't bad. It really sucked when the F5 took out 30% of our city. F3 got our new area 8 years to the day later. At least that time we were able to watch from our shelter rather than riding it out in our house.

SteyrAUG
08-28-20, 21:21
F3 ain't bad. It really sucked when the F5 took out 30% of our city. F3 got our new area 8 years to the day later. At least that time we were able to watch from our shelter rather than riding it out in our house.

F5 and Cat 5 wreck everything.