PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical election disaster: what guns/stuff to buy?

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-24-20, 22:24
Hey guys,

I feel like we are likely in for a rough time (if I am wrong, then awesome). But if you were putting together a collection of guns in a world where there will, at least be for the time being, limitations on what guns you can buy, what would you stock up on. I am not saying doomsday guns (I have all that). Maybe just a collection where you want to make sure you have everything you might want down the road. I am thinking....

1. Ar-15
2. High capacity 9mms (Glocks, Berettas, Hks, whatever)
3. Ak-47
4. PCC like Scorpion, SP-5, KP-9, etc

I don't think we will see limitations on sub 10 round capacity guns like 1911s, J-frames, etc for a while longer.

What guns and stuff would you stock up on (other than ARs n' Glocks and ammo)? I'm trying to think of stuff that may become scarce or disappear but not obvious like Glock 17 mags and AR mags. I have seen this before. In 94 a lot of folks thought the ban wouldn't happen for this and that reason (I remember talking to a guy from HK who told me that on the phone, and my young dumb ass believed him).

Any thoughts (I don't need you to tell me it won't happen , that isn't the question. I am trying to see if the hive mind can come up with anything I haven't thought of.

ARx3
08-24-20, 23:01
I feel that if you don't already have the firearms , magazines , ammo , and reloading components you desire , you will be SOL or need to have really deep pockets for the next 6 to 18 months. I made myself a promise that after 94 that I would never be in that position again. The last 3 years was the time to stock up on everything firearm related.
While firearm sales have surged the problem is that there is no reasonably priced ammo available in 9mm, 45 acp , 5.56 , 7.62 or even .38 spl / 357 mag 44 mag etc. Ammo prices went from $169.00 per 1000 9mm in March , to $309 /$400 now if you can find any.

SteyrAUG
08-24-20, 23:01
First you are going to need a time machine.

Seriously any "must have" item is out of stock everywhere, back ordered until 2022 or very much in the secondary market (MSRP + 40%).

Between covid, antifa, BLM and an upcoming election the panic buy has been in effect for almost 6 months. Anyone who hasn't "got when the getting was good" better be willing to drop a lot of coin.

When the Clinton ban sunsetted in 2004, I honestly believed it was only a matter of months before it got tacked onto something else. And if you were paying attention, a renewal was successfully amended to a Larry Craig industry protection bill. So a Republic majority Congress passed the reimplementation of the Clinton ban during the Bush (43) presidency. Had Larry Craig not killed his own bill at that point, none of us would have a Colt 6920.

So I was buying like it was all gonna end in a matter of months. And I really didn't stop until way after the Great Obama Gun Sale and the Sandy Hook scare.

As for what to buy, probably the standard stuff.

High quality AR rifles, mags and lots of ammo.
Decent handgun, mags and lots of ammo.

If you are looking for stuff that simply won't be available one day, you are looking at Sig SAN rifles, HK SP5s and such. All the AKs available right now are US barrel crap that won't even measure up to the Romanian SAR rifles that sold for $200 back in the good old days. I'm assuming the Bulgarian Arsenals are still the only real game in town but plan on paying the price of a quality AR rifle or more.

Other exotics like AUGs, Tavors and Galils will probably command higher prices one day. But I wouldn't worry about speculating firearms, I'd just make a list of "guns I still want to own one day" and start making it happen with priority given to those that are likely to be banned one day.

ARx3
08-24-20, 23:18
[QUOTE=SteyrAUG;2877135]First you are going to need a time machine.

Seriously any "must have" item is out of stock everywhere, back ordered until 2022 or very much in the secondary market (MSRP + 40%).

Between covid, antifa, BLM and an upcoming election the panic buy has been in effect for almost 6 months. Anyone who hasn't "got when the getting was good" better be willing to drop a lot of coin.

When the Clinton ban sunsetted in 2004, I honestly believed it was only a matter of months before it got tacked onto something else. And if you were paying attention, a renewal was successfully amended to a Larry Craig industry protection bill. So a Republic majority Congress passed the reimplementation of the Clinton ban during the Bush (43) presidency. Had Larry Craig not killed his own bill at that point, none of us would have a Colt 6920.

So I was buying like it was all gonna end in a matter of months. And I really didn't stop until way after the Great Obama Gun Sale and the Sandy Hook scare.

My experience mirrors yours ! I bought my first Bulgarian AK 74's in 2005 and continued obtaining my must have firearms SCAR 17 quality AR's, magazines , ammunition ,optics etc. through 2014. At the time I sometimes thought that I might be spending to much but with the current situation and political climate I believe that it all was a very wise investment.

Diamondback
08-24-20, 23:31
If you have any interest in historicals, I'd say get an M1 Carbine and Thompson while you can--Leftards hate, and single out by name for ban, those two right behind the AR and AK.

Averageman
08-25-20, 01:25
Wow, if you don't have that stuff now, well, you are hurting.
Now is the time you should be replacing the preps you used during Covid drama.
If I bought one, I bought two, two of everything. You see I have a Son who though a competent took no interest in shooting beyond basic competency. I always thought one way or another things might change.
I always thought a G-17, an AR Carbine, a bolt action of caliber who you have a 600 yard competency with were the bare minimums.

Buncheong
08-25-20, 01:52
Ammunition should be priority.

CoryCop25
08-25-20, 03:19
I lived through the 1994 assault weapons ban. I remember the $55-100 Glock 19 magazines and all the other garbage that came with the ban. I guess I have been preparing for another ban since the last one sunset. I have plenty of ARs, Glocks and hundreds of magazines. Unfortunately, I don't believe that the next ban (hopefully won't happen) will be like the last. There won't be a ban on sales, there will be a buy back or turn in this time. I don't believe people will be allowed to possess these items like they did last time. So along with mags, Glocks, ARs and ammo, shovels and plastic bury-able containers should be considered...

yoni
08-25-20, 04:38
Mission.

It all comes down to mission.

If we are really going to go off the cliff, then I would stress 9mm pistols and small PCC. The small PCC can be carried in a very small bag or even in a shoulder holster type arrangement. These would be used for CQB direct action missions.

AR or rifles to defend your neighborhood, if you just defend your house you will lose to a determined enemy. If it really hits the fan and normal no longer applies you and like minded and armed neighbors want to push out the areas you are willing to defend.

Circle_10
08-25-20, 06:27
Ammo is one of my top priorities. I shot so much and so regularly during the last four years that I don’t have the reserves that I’d like, because I took a major pay cut in 2016 and have not been able to replenish ammo at the rate I burn it off.
On the other hand, my shooting ability improved a lot during the last few years....so maybe I can do more with less. More than I could before anyway.
However regardless of how high a priority it is, the lunatic prices and lack of availability has been keeping me from buying it.
So I’ve been working on my other priorities lately.

I’ve been trying to get a second full sized Glock, either another G45 or a Gen 5 G17, however I’m not freaking out over it. You can buy a Glock 17 today, and chances are you’ll be able to buy a Glock 17 in 2022. However what you get in 2022 may come with 10-round mags, which is super gay for a gun that size.
So, since I kinda just got back into Glocks after being out of them for years, Standard capacity 17rnd 9mm Glock mags have been one of my priority items I’ve been grabbing when I’ve got some extra cash. I’ve also been picking up a few of the 24 round mags. I have a four or six (I can’t remember) of the 33 rounders but they are not a priority because, while cool, they are so long they are impractical for most applications for which I would be apt to use a semiautomatic handgun.

I regret not getting into the PCC game, but at this point I’m moving on without one because it’s too late for me to add another magazine to the inventory. And even if I get a Glock mag compatible one, right now I barely have enough 9mm to maintain weekly pistol practice sessions. Adding a 9mm carbine to the mix, and having to vet that gun and practice with it as well, would not be sustainable under the current ammo situation.
Any problems I run into where a PCC would be optimal are probably going to have a 10.3” 5.56 solution unfortunately. But that’s all that I have in very shoulder short shoulder arm category right now.

I’m grabbing AR mags and there, but I literally have like 200 of them already so I’m not going nuts about those.

Rifles, both ARs and AKs, and their mags, I’m probably ok on. A bunch of my ARs are Retro clones though. So I have considered getting a couple stripped flat top uppers if I need to convert a couple Retros into more optics-capable guns under duress.
Which leads me to my other priority. I have been buying AR parts, again as funds allow. Not so much do I can continue building new guns but so I can maintain existing guns.

Esq.
08-25-20, 06:29
Lol. That ship sailed 6 months ago dude. If the election goes sideways the only thing you are going to be able to buy are RORO containers of sem tex, Rpgs, mortars, PKMs and land mines....We'll need them too.

Sam
08-25-20, 06:58
Calm down people, the counselor is more or less asking a hypothetical question. If you ever stumble into the Semi Auto or AR or 1911 sections of this forum, you'd have seen his posts of "breaking my xyz" gun tests. He's got plenty of irons believe me.

These are not mine, not Greg's, not anyone on this forum, belong to a friend who planned ahead:

https://i.imgur.com/jFhI6Rd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YgkU8q1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K2LrXKj.jpg

Several ARs including a couple of Daniel Defense (one is a Vickers Tactical signature), KAC, SCARS, Galil, AKs, M1 Garand, M1 carbine, FAL.

And he's got more ammo than me.

You can buy a nice car with that collection :big_boss:

AndyLate
08-25-20, 07:33
I have an adequate stock of 9mm Glocks and ARs now. I do regret learning about the CZ Scorpion Micro after the panic had already started, bit that is the only thing I feel is missing in my collection.

No AKs or 7.62 semi auto battle rifles, and frankly I don't see that as a hole in my collection.

My worry is feeding what I have in the future. The Marxists know there will be massive non-compliance with gun surrender laws, so they will follow the Mexico model and make obtaining ammunition legally a near impossibility.

Andy

chuckman
08-25-20, 08:12
First you are going to need a time machine.

As for what to buy, probably the standard stuff.

High quality AR rifles, mags and lots of ammo.
Decent handgun, mags and lots of ammo.

If you are looking for stuff that simply won't be available one day, you are looking at Sig SAN rifles, HK SP5s and such. All the AKs available right now are US barrel crap that won't even measure up to the Romanian SAR rifles that sold for $200 back in the good old days. I'm assuming the Bulgarian Arsenals are still the only real game in town but plan on paying the price of a quality AR rifle or more.

Other exotics like AUGs, Tavors and Galils will probably command higher prices one day. But I wouldn't worry about speculating firearms, I'd just make a list of "guns I still want to own one day" and start making it happen with priority given to those that are likely to be banned one day.

I would argue you don't even need to buy high-quality ARs. Right now, all ARs are selling hot and high, and any AR could be an investment which you can flip at a later time.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-25-20, 08:13
Just FYI, midway has Glock mags in stock as of this morning. Limit 3 of each type it looks like.

seb5
08-25-20, 08:43
The idea of a collection for me really ended years ago. As others have mentioned I started ensuring that I wouldn't be in a bad position after the 94 ban sunset. For me the important items are a quality AR, Glock, small Glock, shotgun, Bolt gun, and a nice .22 pistol and rifle. Lots of mags and ammo. That's what I actually use or may use. That is fulfilled.

After that I tend to follow PACE. Primary(listed above), alternate, contingency, emergency.

The next hypothetical ban could be much more draconian than anything we've seen. That means duplicates of AR's and Glocks, and ammo, mags, and more ammo. If you're starting to look now you're woefully behind the curve already.

HKGuns
08-25-20, 09:03
After what I watched last night, this country would be utterly insane not to elect Trump.

I too think you are too late. Called my LGS late last week to inquire about a newly released HK product and was told their shelves are essentially bare.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-25-20, 09:51
Maybe spring kits? I remember during the last ban you usually wanted to keep some springs around to keep your prebans fresh.

Maybe followers?

Around here less popular guns like HK and Beretta stay on the shelves longer, even now. I have taken advantage.

What are y’all seeing on things like SCars and battle rifles? I am seeing them still, I think everyone has poodle shooter fever which is fine with me.

What about odd guns like Tavors and Brens ? They were not the focus of panics in 89 but guns like sig 550s skyrocketed in the following years. Hmmm

glocktogo
08-25-20, 09:59
One thing I don't see listed is a .22lr. I consider it an essential item for numerous reasons. If you live where you can own an SBR & suppressor, a pocket rifle is a no-brainer. Then stock up on enough hi-cap mags top fill a satchel and 10-20K rounds. For harvesting small game, pest eradication and even quelling civil unrest, it's tough to beat. Sure you want an AR and a Glock or similar polymer hi-cap pistol, but a pocket rifle will get you through lean times when ammo is scarce and you don't necessarily want to make the kind of noise and carnage necessary to kill an invading army of malcontents.

If you can't do a suppressed pocket rifle, then a takedown semi-auto .22lr rifle would be a close second. Not quite as portable, concealable or quiet, but it would get the job done.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.BAKx5vMJpsC2vhdX8iFtwwHaDy&pid=Api&P=0&w=345&h=177

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.L4aHWsLeesbgZAobZj5ObQHaDe&pid=Api&P=0&w=404&h=190

Esq.
08-25-20, 10:03
One thing I don't see listed is a .22lr. I consider it an essential item for numerous reasons. If you live where you can own an SBR & suppressor, a pocket rifle is a no-brainer. Then stock up on enough hi-cap mags top fill a satchel and 10-20K rounds. For harvesting small game, pest eradication and even quelling civil unrest, it's tough to beat. Sure you want an AR and a Glock or similar polymer hi-cap pistol, but a pocket rifle will get you through lean times when ammo is scarce and you don't necessarily want to make the kind of noise and carnage necessary to kill an invading army of malcontents.

If you can't do a suppressed pocket rifle, then a takedown semi-auto .22lr rifle would be a close second. Not quite as portable, concealable or quiet, but it would get the job done.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.BAKx5vMJpsC2vhdX8iFtwwHaDy&pid=Api&P=0&w=345&h=177

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.L4aHWsLeesbgZAobZj5ObQHaDe&pid=Api&P=0&w=404&h=190

I have a Ruger Charger with a cut down barrel and a LAW folder/brace.....Yup, canned, rimfire, pocket rifle "is a thing"......

Artos
08-25-20, 10:07
You can currently acquire most of what's suggested other than maybe certain mags due to the Cali buying surge...just gonna cost a premium. Most everyday folks that aren't prepared are gonna be in a hold down the fort position, so my suggestion to those that have asked is kiss.

Quality M4, mags & ammo
Quality Hi-cap sidearm, mags & ammo
Quality 12ga & ammo

Only thing I told the wife is we need go a heavy on the Provisions in Oct just to avoid the nonsense if any panic starts...being on the border we won't have any protests, but man the area is full of professional hoarding pendejos that know how to panic.

ColtSeavers
08-25-20, 10:26
Lever action.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-25-20, 10:38
Maybe also go ahead and put any suppressors you want in the pipeline because I suspect a trump loss will lead to a 3-year back log. I think an unfortunate side effect of the push to decriminalize suppressors a few years back we brought attention to them for nothing.

gunnerblue
08-25-20, 10:43
A lever action in 30-30 and a quality 12 gauge pump would be practical additions to any collection. Simple, reliable, effective for hunting, etc.

Honorable mention, a Savage 99 in .308. Widely available and long lasting due to build quality.

Todd00000
08-25-20, 11:05
Hey guys,

I feel like we are likely in for a rough time (if I am wrong, then awesome). But if you were putting together a collection of guns in a world where there will, at least be for the time being, limitations on what guns you can buy, what would you stock up on. I am not saying doomsday guns (I have all that). Maybe just a collection where you want to make sure you have everything you might want down the road. I am thinking....

1. Ar-15
3. Ak-47

I don't think we will see limitations on sub 10 round capacity guns like 1911s, J-frames, etc for a while longer.

What guns and stuff would you stock up on (other than ARs n' Glocks and ammo)? I'm trying to think of stuff that may become scarce or disappear but not obvious like Glock 17 mags and AR mags. I have seen this before. In 94 a lot of folks thought the ban wouldn't happen for this and that reason (I remember talking to a guy from HK who told me that on the phone, and my young dumb ass believed him).

Any thoughts (I don't need you to tell me it won't happen , that isn't the question. I am trying to see if the hive mind can come up with anything I haven't thought of.

Nothing hypothetical about it, but buy fuel so you can drive to DC.

OH58D
08-25-20, 11:40
It's funny, of all the guns (@ 67) and ammo (@ 48,000 rounds) in my collection, I have no hi-powered revolvers other than .357 Magnum. I was in Albuquerque yesterday morning at a Sportsman's Warehouse, and no normal calibers of ammo was left on the shelves - and only one black rifle left. I shoot .357 out of Winchesters and my one Henry Big Boy, and couldn't find any of it.

One thing I have been buying in the magazine world are 20 rounders - Okays, Magpuls and some vintage Vietnam era 20's. Everyone is overlooking them, but they are readily available. Also, back in the early 90's Colt would ship 20 round mags with a removable spacer to limit the thing to only 10 rounds. Those may be handy in the future if you had to demonstrate only 10 rounds (hunting, etc.).

HKGuns
08-25-20, 11:55
I am fortunate in that I could arm and ammo a small army.

This topic might have convinced me to roll some additional 000 Buck rounds for my various shotguns tonight.

Evel Baldgui
08-25-20, 12:05
My thoughts are simplicity, reliability, effectiveness, and what I can transport in my SUV if I need to travel. I have no neighborhood watch typer group, hell, I don't even know my neighbors. The only family I need to concern myself with is my wife, and she is not a gun person. So, for me its now two 9mm RMR Glocks, one Glock 17 in a CAA/Roni; two 10.5" AR pistols, a .22 MK IV ruger pistol and .22 S&W revolver. The .22's are for my wife. Ammo of each caliber, a phuckton. Spare parts for Glocks and AR pistols, quite a bit. Mags, geeez, I don't know how many, another phuckton I'd guess.
What ? No 12g shotty, no scoped .308 bolt? No. I'm not concerned with hunting, or long range shots, hence no 308. Shotguns, even ones like the shockwave, are cumbersome, are a 'niche' weapon that I've never had a use for.
I live in a city, any evil can be dealt with by the 9mm pistol or AR pistol up to 100-125 yds if required. For my situation, locale, its simplicity, reliability, and transportability. It all depends on your location, perceived needs, and what one needs to accomplish.

Artos
08-25-20, 12:06
I don't know if it belongs in this thread as I can't completely see a power outage problem, but guess thugs could cut power by bashing my meter with sledge. I hadn't started my generator in probably 10 years but man was it nice to have during last month's hurricane...started on the 2nd pull & back fed into the house w/ the main switch override to not hit the grid. We ran everything as normal other than the 220 & had AC from the mini-split in the man cave. Called a neighbor & asked him to call me when it came back on.

Any fwiw it was REALLY nice to have...mom was out for days & meeting w/ generac rep to sign for a complete backup unit today.

kerplode
08-25-20, 12:31
This time around, I'm not assuming any probable bans will include grandfathering or allow transferring, so I'm not going nuts on ARs and Mags like I might have in the past. Have what I need on those fronts from the last 10 times we've done this.

I picked up a 357 lever gun and a couple revolvers that caught my eye recently, but I'm mostly focusing on reloading components. Been grabbing a little revolver ammo, rimfire ammo, and birdshot when I ca find it. Also working on a plan for getting a basic NV setup, but I may have waited too long on that...We'll see.

Anyway, I think at a basic level, one should seek to have the following as a minimum:
- Quality AR w/ a reasonable stock of mags and ammo
- Quality Handgun w/ a reasonable stock of mags and ammo
- A 10/22 and/or a Shotgun

Having a bit more food and fuel on hand as we approach the abyss is probably not a bad idea either...

The_War_Wagon
08-25-20, 12:33
I feel that if you don't already have the firearms , magazines , ammo , and reloading components you desire , you will be SOL or need to have really deep pockets for the next 6 to 18 months.

IF you have your firearms, and IF you have your mags, just KEEP buying ammo. It's a diminishing commodity.

Todd00000
08-25-20, 12:58
I have finally sold off my unused calibers, and I bought ammo and spare parts. I'm down to .22, 9mm(380wife), 556, and .300WM. I subscribe to Ammo2.

Sam
08-25-20, 13:13
Counselor,

Hypothetically, what watch should I buy before the apocalypse election night? Rolex, Omega, Tag? or the rough and tough Navy Seal model?

Whiskey_Bravo
08-25-20, 13:27
This topic might have convinced me to roll some additional 000 Buck rounds for my various shotguns tonight.

Shotgun ammo is the one I have neglected so I am going to have to rectify that.

Bulletdog
08-25-20, 15:00
Hey guys,

1. Ar-15
3. Ak-47

I don't know Greg... I think most of the people on this forum are pretty well stocked up and have all the guns and gun accessories that wed ever need. I think I'd like to answer with a different take. Since most of us are all set in the firearm department, (I laugh when I see on the news that the police have seized some poor saps basic beginner starter kit and call it an arsenal...) what about other important stuff? Gas cans, gas, and stabilizer? Good quality, quiet generator? With the recent fires and power outages, I've been reminded of the importance of these. How about a case of Bic lighters? These are like gold for trading too, if the SHTF. Everyone needs fire. When the lights go out, people will be fighting in the streets for batteries and TP. I've been stocking up on batteries for all my important goodies. I was not happy about having to pay hundreds of extra dollars for all those Aimpoint Comp M4s, but now I am so happy I did. I just had to replace the batteries in my first batch of them that I bought in 2008 after 11 years of continuous use. No joke. Purchased a few of them in 2008, and just replaced the AA batteries in 2019. Later batches purchased after 2008 are still going strong, but I'll be replacing all those batteries before Nov. 4. I've got plenty of AA batteries on hand now, so if the SHTF situation is so bad that it lasts 11 years, I'll still have functional RDSs. Shovels? Always need shovels. Head lamps and flashlights? How about a water well? Know anyone with a well? I'll never run out of good clean water as long as I can pump it. I've got 13,000 gravity fed gallons above ground, even after I can't pump it anymore.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but these are the things that have been occupying my mind of late.

Esq.
08-25-20, 15:04
I don't know Greg... I think most of the people on this forum are pretty well stocked up and have all the guns and gun accessories that wed ever need. I think I'd like to answer with a different take. Since most of us are all set in the firearm department, (I laugh when I see on the news that the police have seized some poor saps basic beginner starter kit and call it an arsenal...) what about other important stuff? Gas cans, gas, and stabilizer? Good quality, quiet generator? With the recent fires and power outages, I've been reminded of the importance of these. How about a case of Bic lighters? These are like gold for trading too, if the SHTF. Everyone needs fire. When the lights go out, people will be fighting in the streets for batteries and TP. I've been stocking up on batteries for all my important goodies. I was not happy about having to pay hundreds of extra dollars for all those Aimpoint Comp M4s, but now I am so happy I did. I just had to replace the batteries in my first batch of them that I bought in 2008 after 11 years of continuous use. No joke. Purchased a few of them in 2008, and just replaced the AA batteries in 2019. Later batches purchased after 2008 are still going strong, but I'll be replacing all those batteries before Nov. 4. I've got plenty of AA batteries on hand now, so if the SHTF situation is so bad that it lasts 11 years, I'll still have functional RDSs. Shovels? Always need shovels. Head lamps and flashlights? How about a water well? Know anyone with a well? I'll never run out of good clean water as long as I can pump it. I've got 13,000 gravity fed gallons above ground, even after I can't pump it anymore.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but these are the things that have been occupying my mind of late.

If we are talking stuff "other than guns"...... A good chainsaw and accessories, parts along with a woodstove is HIGH on the list. Good outdoor clothes and sleeping bags for every family member too.....

sundance435
08-25-20, 15:12
It's funny, of all the guns (@ 67) and ammo (@ 48,000 rounds) in my collection, I have no hi-powered revolvers other than .357 Magnum. I was in Albuquerque yesterday morning at a Sportsman's Warehouse, and no normal calibers of ammo was left on the shelves - and only one black rifle left. I shoot .357 out of Winchesters and my one Henry Big Boy, and couldn't find any of it.

One thing I have been buying in the magazine world are 20 rounders - Okays, Magpuls and some vintage Vietnam era 20's. Everyone is overlooking them, but they are readily available. Also, back in the early 90's Colt would ship 20 round mags with a removable spacer to limit the thing to only 10 rounds. Those may be handy in the future if you had to demonstrate only 10 rounds (hunting, etc.).

It took longer, but .357 and .38 have dried up, too. I expect it will be a long time before .357 starts showing up again, less so .38 but not nearly as quickly as 9 and 45. I bought a Marlin .357 to go with my Smith 686 for exactly the kind of scenario contemplated in this thread, especially if there's another ban, but I neglected to stock up on .38 and .357 and I only have a few hundred of each.

Re: 20 rounders. I love them for the range and for storage mags with quality defensive ammo (20 round boxes). I almost always throw in a Lancer or Magpul 20 rounder if I'm ordering mags.

The shortage of 9mm is going to curtail my shooting, though, since I don't have enough that I would feel comfortable burning through more than a few boxes.

Honu
08-25-20, 15:34
Rolex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y6QXwYZ_7w&t=305s

Counselor,

Hypothetically, what watch should I buy before the apocalypse election night? Rolex, Omega, Tag? or the rough and tough Navy Seal model?

yoni
08-25-20, 15:38
A big plus on .22 cal rifle and 20 round mags for AR or AK, love them.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-25-20, 16:37
https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/most-popular/products/reissue-1980-royal-navy-diver-automatic

Emp proof!

Whiskey_Bravo
08-25-20, 16:45
Just an FYI, if you are in the DFW area RifleGear has the Glock 45 MOS in stock. They just received in 5, and now have 4 in stock.

drsal
08-25-20, 16:55
As far as firearms, ammo, spare parts, optics, cleaning kits, and the like I'm pretty much all set. The items listed by another poster, batteries, BIC lighters, gas cans, assorted tools, TP, candles, reserve food supply, in other words, basic preparedness items, those I'm updating and always have on hand given that we are in hurricane season here in South Florida. Those items are thread all to themselves.

JoshNC
08-25-20, 17:49
Now is not a time to buy, unless you have an insufficient personal armory and ammo stash (you will pay inflated prices) or if you stumble upon a rare deal.

vicious_cb
08-25-20, 17:54
Invest in a boat for plausible deniability.

SteyrAUG
08-25-20, 17:59
Invest in a boat for plausible deniability.

My house got robbed by a guy who looked exactly like Joe Biden.

HKGuns
08-25-20, 18:11
Gas is a good recommendation. I have four 5 gallon VIP cans full of Shell 93 octane V-Power Nitro right next to the Raptor.

Today I picked up a Veterans 4 Trump sign to draw them in real close.

Pappabear
08-25-20, 18:56
I would think most of us have plenty of guns and ammo. But we dont all have Night vision, Thermal and a gas mask.

Anyone know who sells good gas mask? Sidetrack sorry, maybe pm me.

PB

ColtSeavers
08-25-20, 19:07
I would think most of us have plenty of guns and ammo. But we dont all have Night vision, Thermal and a gas mask.

Anyone know who sells good gas mask? Sidetrack sorry, maybe pm me.

PB

I've been putting promasks off and putting them off, and now I'm irritated at myself for procrastinating to the point of not having them at all.

Sam
08-25-20, 19:41
https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/most-popular/products/reissue-1980-royal-navy-diver-automatic

Emp proof!

So you're going to sell your Vladmir Putin's watch and get that?

Honu
08-25-20, 23:10
one thing I want to get back into is really high performance air rifles !!! I used to love them a blast to plink cans in your yard etc.. and small game super easy to take with if you need to hunt and quiet enough super cheap to shoot and again just fun to plink with and did I mention cheap :)

THCDDM4
08-26-20, 00:01
I'm on the lookout for a few firearms/accessories and looking for deals. Found a few recently, although it took some serious effort and time to find them and pounce on 'em.

Did get lucky with a few things though, wasn't November 2019 prices, but still very reasonable considering the current climate of things, so I was happy.

I am looking into better comms right now, that's one area I have lacked in for some time, I have some basic stuff but I have not put in the effort or time to educate and train, and I would like some better equipment and training/education to go with it.

Same thing with first aid. Updating stuff that is expired and wanting to get into a few courses for refresher and some new courses I think will be helpful in the coming unpleasantness.

I'm also just trying to make sure I have proper spare parts kits and back-ups for each firearm in the stable. I kind of have way more of some stuff and not enough of other stuff from years of buying deals and stashing in safes without taking inventory often enough- not enough intention on my part or time to properly keep it all in perspective- just buying this and that whenever I found a deal and threw stuff in a safe or in a box on a shelf.

I've gotten about 1/2 way through inventory and I am putting a list together of things I need and things I want based on what I already have or don't have.

Ammo wise I let my 12 gauge, 38 and 357 stock slip a bit, not too bad, but I thought I had WAY more than I actually do. Too expensive and scarce to buy now. I regularly bought so much 9, 556, 308 & 22 and all but forgot to keep buying 12, 38 and 357.

I am of the opinion you can never have too many magazines. Since CO went full retard and became a "high cap" ban state, it's doubly true as that hindered things a bit. It can happen anywhere on a state level with those type of bans, so best to stay ahead of the game in that regard.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-26-20, 17:30
I went out today and I saw an uptick in the number of guns. It could be because it was a Wednesday. I saw Glocks, His, Colt ARs, Scars, Tavors, M&Ps, Sigs, Gailil, Massadas. What I did not see was 9mm.

The_War_Wagon
08-26-20, 17:44
Ammunition should be priority.

I topped off another 5.56 dedicated 20mm can today, that I only started on July 1!

It CAN still be done... but I topped off the last can, back in NOVEMBER. It was easier to do, LAST year.

Straight Shooter
08-27-20, 13:21
Written knowledge.
Im a HUGE fan of books containing knowledge of "the old ways"...depression era, pioneer times, just old timey ways, means & methods.
Ive several gunsmithing books, a few medical books, books on butchering all kinds of animals, trapping, "survivalist" type stuff...just a good, rounded collection of information for when/if the lights go out for awhile.
Knowledge is gonna be as important if not more so than "stuff" when SHTF.

Diamondback
08-27-20, 13:31
Written knowledge.
Im a HUGE fan of books containing knowledge of "the old ways"...depression era, pioneer times, just old timey ways, means & methods.
Ive several gunsmithing books, a few medical books, books on butchering all kinds of animals, trapping, "survivalist" type stuff...just a good, rounded collection of information for when/if the lights go out for awhile.

THIS. With knowledge, you can find or MAKE what you need, or figure out something to make/find and barter with someone who can... unless you find yourself in my GF's position where your mere continued existence depends on Modern Medicine like various infusions, post-transplant immunosuppressants or something in that caliber.

maximus83
08-28-20, 01:36
Greg, someone else mentioned and I agree: anytime there are hard times ahead, besides the obvious items you mentioned, I want to make sure I have a good stock of .22lr. Wimpy, low-tech, old-timer .22lr is hard to beat for all-purpose utility, and affordable relatively quiet training. Even though it's probably your last choice in a gunfight.

* Try to score some .22lr ammo of at least 3 categories: cheap stuff that runs in your .22's for plinking/practice, a 'match' load for precision shooting/training, and a hunting/defensive HP load.
* Have at least 1 reliable .22lr pistol. Mine is my Ruger MK IV 22/45. You can probably still score one of those, there's so many of them out there.
* Have at least 1 reliable semiauto--IMHO, a modified 10-22 (aftermarket barrel, trigger, and stock) should be the anchor of your .22 rifle set. If you want to add more, get an M&P 15-22 for AR platform training, and a bolt gun for precision training and reaching out for longer shots. Affordable, quality bolt I'd recommend if you're RH is the Tikka T1x MTR, or one of the CZ 457 rimfire (https://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/) series. If you want to go crazy high-end .22lr bolt gun, get the Vudoo Gun works .22lr, built on Rem 700 footprint and compatible with stocks, trigger, etc.

Honu
08-28-20, 04:05
The old foxfire books are good to look into more a homesteading focus by Appalachia folks
When I lived in the Caribbean most folks still kinda lived the old way if you will power was nice fridge was nice but not needed I spent years living with no power no fridge hunt fish every day etc... but my skills are more based on island tropical though need to update to desert :)

Written knowledge.

yoni
08-28-20, 04:18
Even though it's probably your last choice in a gunfight.

Gunfight last choice, yes.

Area Defense in total breakdown in a good rifle and a can, first choice due to being very quite.

flenna
08-28-20, 07:08
The old foxfire books are good to look into more a homesteading focus by Appalachia folks
When I lived in the Caribbean most folks still kinda lived the old way if you will power was nice fridge was nice but not needed I spent years living with no power no fridge hunt fish every day etc... but my skills are more based on island tropical though need to update to desert :)

My wife bought the entire Foxfire collection years ago and it is in fact a wealth of knowledge of the old ways and how to sustain off the grid. Everything from gardening to trapping to hide tanning to making musket barrels is in there. Very good reads indeed.

Straight Shooter
08-28-20, 07:26

My wife bought the entire Foxfire collection years ago and it is in fact a wealth of knowledge of the old ways and how to sustain off the grid. Everything from gardening to trapping to hide tanning to making musket barrels is in there. Very good reads indeed.

I consider the FOXFIRE series to be pretty much the cream of the crop for the real, true time proven & used old ways and methods.
GREAT suggestion.

OH58D
08-28-20, 07:49
I consider the FOXFIRE series to be pretty much the cream of the crop for the real, true time proven & used old ways and methods.
GREAT suggestion.
I have not heard of that series. Sounds like something to checkout. I think I would be a fish-out-of-water if I was in Appalachia just because of the different climate, thick vegetation, etc. I am in my element in a semi-arid climate over a mile up in altitude - high graze cattle country in what we call Pinon/Juniper woodland. We also have skills, but we probably would have a learning curve going back to an even earlier time.

chuckman
08-28-20, 08:02
I have not heard of that series. Sounds like something to checkout. I think I would be a fish-out-of-water if I was in Appalachia just because of the different climate, thick vegetation, etc. I am in my element in a semi-arid climate over a mile up in altitude - high graze cattle country in what we call Pinon/Juniper woodland. We also have skills, but we probably would have a learning curve going back to an even earlier time.

My mom's family is from eastern NC, not Appalachia, but they swear by that series as 'old ways'....

THCDDM4
08-28-20, 09:30
Foxfire series is good stuff.

I have a well rounded approach to survival skills, but I have put a heavy focus on growing food, hunting and making beer, wine and whiskey/spirits.

I figure If I’m the dude with food and booze, anything else I want or need will come to me in trade.

Diamondback
08-28-20, 10:04
I figure If I’m the dude with food and booze, anything else I want or need will come to me in trade.

Sound strategy, and I assume you have this covered, but anyone adopting that approach REALLY needs a solid plan to protect their position, between own skills/prep and friends and neighbors helping. You KNOW somebody's gonna try to roll ya at some point...

OH58D
08-28-20, 10:30
Protein on the hoof is no problem here. Sold a part of the herd this year directly to an in-State processor instead of going the Amarillo, Texas feed lot route. Still have @ 850 head +/-. You guys have better options for garden growing. The altitude at my ranch house is right at 5800 feet, which means thru the month of April we still have freezing temps in the morning. We can't put out a garden until the first week of May, and we will get our first light snowfall by Halloween in a normal year. My teenage daughter has been experimenting with 18th century candle making using tallow. She's done well with it.

We still do Cowboy Chuck Wagon types of cookouts with a buried Dutch Oven, but the old way out here was dried salt pork or beef and beans, and some tomatoes and Chile if you could grow 'em.

Grand58742
08-28-20, 11:07
GREAT suggestion.

The Back to Basics series is supposed to be great as well.

Averageman
08-28-20, 11:54

My Grandfather, Averagegrandpa is in the Foxfire book that covers black powder rifles. That's like being in the Hillbilly Hall of Fame.
I remember him having an old school wooden barrel in the garage, it was full of old rifle barrels and him having gunpowder recipes thumb tacked above his work bench.

The_War_Wagon
08-28-20, 13:21
My house got robbed by a guy who looked exactly like Joe Biden.

And he doesn't have two shotgun blasts in him?! :rolleyes:

Straight Shooter
08-28-20, 13:55

I really believe you could still get something out of at least a couple or three of the books. Ive got to order a few soon.
I really wish I had ll the old Fur, Fish & Game mags I used to subscribe to in the mid seventies. Man, EVERY issue was a learning experiance.
Got me into trapping. Back then..Outdoor Life was really good. But, the FoxFire series of books were awesome.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-28-20, 15:00
Protein on the hoof is no problem here. Sold a part of the herd this year directly to an in-State processor instead of going the Amarillo, Texas feed lot route. Still have @ 850 head +/-. You guys have better options for garden growing. The altitude at my ranch house is right at 5800 feet, which means thru the month of April we still have freezing temps in the morning. We can't put out a garden until the first week of May, and we will get our first light snowfall by Halloween in a normal year. My teenage daughter has been experimenting with 18th century candle making using tallow. She's done well with it.

We still do Cowboy Chuck Wagon types of cookouts with a buried Dutch Oven, but the old way out here was dried salt pork or beef and beans, and some tomatoes and Chile if you could grow 'em.

Build you a couple of green houses to extend your growing season.

tog
08-28-20, 15:35
I would (Did) start laying in spare parts for all the gear you have. Recheck your firearms and if you need to upgrade certain components, now is the time. If you have to bug out how are you gonna move all your gear? What happens to those things left behind? Prioritize.

Honu
08-28-20, 16:33
Wow very cool :)

My Grandfather, Averagegrandpa is in the Foxfire book that covers black powder rifles. That's like being in the Hillbilly Hall of Fame.
I remember him having an old school wooden barrel in the garage, it was full of old rifle barrels and him having gunpowder recipes thumb tacked above his work bench.

OH58D
08-28-20, 17:36
Build you a couple of green houses to extend your growing season.
I'd have to heat them for sure, just to make sure no water would freeze. January temps here during the day are upper 30's to low 40's, but then 10-15 at night. Usually between mid December and the end of January low temps to zero or below and some periods for a week at a time, no temps above freezing in the daytime. Who would have thought this in New Mexico.

I have two 50 foot elevated planting beds to Onions, Tomatoes, Chile and some other staple items. Wife cans a lot of it.