PDA

View Full Version : Statement of Belief AKA “What do you actually believe in?”

JediGuy
08-25-20, 22:35
Jumping around here and recently exploring some of the gun/tactical content on reddit, I am curious how members would describe their political beliefs.
I don’t mean “Republican” or “liberal.” I mean when it comes to the polity, what approach and involvement should the elected and unelected government have in daily life? What about a standing army? Involvement in foreign alliances? Welfare? Education? Land rights? Treatment of wrongdoers and those done wrong? Corporate responsibility vs individual responsibility?

Is it more than guns? More than collectin’ your draw? Is the chest thumping in this sub forum and plenty of others across the internet just that, or is there a brass knuckle gripped in the fist? Is there a trip point at which you either put up or shut up? Are there things you would or would not do for certain beliefs, and if so, what are they?

In other words: Could you in one post of three paragraphs or less describe what you believe to be worth dying for politically (as opposed to morally, ethically, or religiously)?

just a scout
08-25-20, 22:55
How about I am a Jacksonian Libertarian and Constitutionalist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honu
08-26-20, 00:07
politics are not worth dying for

The old saying something like you can die for your country I will live for mine !

THCDDM4
08-26-20, 00:16
It's a mouthful but I find myself miss-mashing together a few things to best represent what I believe in, politically speaking: Anarcho-Capitalist-Nationalist-Constitutionalist-Originalist.

ETA- I also subscribe to these words of wisdom- Don’t start none, won’t be none.

titsonritz
08-26-20, 00:27
I'm not out mad dogging, so just leave me the **** alone and it won't matter what I believe, that's what I believe.

SteyrAUG
08-26-20, 01:02
In other words: Could you in one post of three paragraphs or less describe what you believe to be worth dying for politically (as opposed to morally, ethically, or religiously)?

First "see sigline."

What would be worth dying for politically? Probably nothing. It would be my intent to survive or escape from any government that went rogue. Even jews managed to survive nazi Germany (obviously not all of them) and the best way to triumph over that shit is to somehow endure, outlast and then see it finally fall. Obviously if you find yourself at the point of "no options" you die with as much dignity for yourself and difficulty for your enemy as possible.

But I'm not going to deliberately sacrifice myself over very much. I'll do it for my loved ones, I may do it trying to save a buddy and I "might" do it because something unacceptable is about to happen and I'm the only person there with the means to stop it.

I don't have ALL the freedoms I was supposed to be born with, none of us really do no matter where you live. And we probably never really had them, in some respects our parents and grandparents had greater freedoms and in other respects we have freedoms that didn't exist for our parents and grandparents. There will probably never be a perfect system, people who try to administer any kind of utopia be it anarchy or libertarian will ultimately find some way to screw it up and mostly because most people can't responsibly handle that much personal freedom or be able to respect the freedom of other people to not deal with your BS.

The only other motivator is if they actually took it all, if I lost everything and everyone I cared about, then my life wouldn't matter and the only people I'd value less are those responsible for taking it all from me. And then there is probably nothing I wouldn't be willing to do.

OH58D
08-26-20, 01:06
How about:

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"

I did it in seven words, and seven is a perfect number for me.

Firefly
09-01-20, 00:35
Don’t bore me with questions of what I am willing to kill or die for.
Entice me with what I am prepared to live for.

Love and Peace.

Anything beyond that is someone trying to sell you on some BS.

The -Can/-Tarian/-Ist bunch needs to get a life.

The “My dead, unemployed Jew who wrote a book is better than your dead, unemployed self-hating painter Quarter-Jew who wrote a book is better than their dead Chinaman who plagiarized the dead Jew who wrote a book when he wrote his book is better than the dead, slave owning Freemasons who wrote up some articles to spite a king over taxes so they could collect taxes because the inbred King they were serving was muscling into their racket” bit gets old.

I loathe the data-mining of value systems in fear of who I may inadvertently inspire

turnburglar
09-01-20, 12:58
I haven't been a first responder for decades, like some members of this forum. But I did it long enough to completely erase the invincibility mindset that youth grants you. After watching some YT videos of the chaos that is happening in portland I am of the opinion we have a real problem with hate in this country. To me it appears to have come from out of no where. From 2001-2015 my complete focus was on GWOT. As far as I can tell AntiFA and BLM are nothing more than insurgent groups created by the biased media and brainwashing universities.

Me personally? I don't play games anymore. If anyone wants to self identify as my adversary they better be ready to play for keeps. I will never have my truck blocked on the highways, I will not be shouted at by a crowd while eating dinner, and I won't be crying in my house while my neighbors burns. Shit will not happen in my AO. At the same time though I am not about to get in my truck and "patriot" it up in a pepper spray scrum in portland either.

BoringGuy45
09-01-20, 14:06
The simplest way I'd describe myself is moderate-conservative. My pastor uses a more creative way to describe his beliefs and I think it fits me to a T as well: Some of my views are slightly left of center, and others are to the right of Genghis Khan.

chadbag
09-01-20, 14:33
How about:

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"

I did it in seven words, and seven is a perfect number for me.

^^^^^^^ This.

duece71
09-01-20, 16:27
My children’s future. Kids their age don’t understand what is happening or possibly why. Kids shouldn’t have to worry about what is going on. At some point, children will have their own lives and have to make choices......

MountainRaven
09-01-20, 16:32
I am not going to talk about religious beliefs but about matters so obvious that it has gone out of style to mention them. I believe in my neighbors. I know their faults, and I know that their virtues far outweigh their faults.
Take Father Michael down our road a piece. I'm not of his creed, but I know that goodness and charity and loving kindness shine in his daily actions. I believe in Father Mike. If I'm in trouble, I'll go to him.
My next-door neighbor is a veterinary doctor. Doc will get out of bed after a hard day to help a stray cat. No fee -- no prospect of a fee -- I believe in Doc.
I believe in my townspeople. You can knock on any door in our town saying, "I'm hungry," and you will be fed. Our town is no exception. I've found the same ready charity everywhere. But for the one who says, "To heck with you -- I got mine," there are a hundred, a thousand who will say, "Sure, pal, sit down."
I know that despite all warnings against hitchhikers I can step up to the highway, thumb for a ride and in a few minutes a car or a truck will stop and someone will say, "Climb in Mac -- how far you going?"
I believe in my fellow citizens. Our headlines are splashed with crime yet for every criminal there are 10,000 honest, decent, kindly men. If it were not so, no child would live to grow up. Business could not go on from day to day. Decency is not news. It is buried in the obituaries, but is a force stronger than crime. I believe in the patient gallantry of nurses and the tedious sacrifices of teachers. I believe in the unseen and unending fight against desperate odds that goes on quietly in almost every home in the land.
I believe in the honest craft of workmen. Take a look around you. There never were enough bosses to check up on all that work. From Independence Hall to the Grand Coulee Dam, these things were built level and square by craftsmen who were honest in their bones.
I believe that almost all politicians are honest ... there are hundreds of politicians, low paid or not paid at all, doing their level best without thanks or glory to make our system work. If this were not true we would never have gotten past the 13 colonies.
And finally, I believe in my whole race. Yellow, white, black, red, brown. In the honesty, courage, intelligence, durability, and goodness of the overwhelming majority of my brothers and sisters everywhere on this planet. I am proud to be a human being. I believe that we have come this far by the skin of our teeth. That we always make it just by the skin of our teeth, but that we will always make it. Survive. Endure. I believe that this hairless embryo with the aching, oversize brain case and the opposable thumb, this animal barely up from the apes will endure. Will endure longer than his home planet -- will spread out to the stars and beyond, carrying with him his honesty and his insatiable curiosity, his unlimited courage and his noble essential decency.
This I believe.

Not necessarily what I believe, but I think Heinlein’s sentiment is nice.

The_War_Wagon
09-01-20, 18:31

I confess, subscribe to, and profess wholeheartedly, without reservation or equivocation, the Unaltered Augsburg Confession of 1577. :cool:

TomMcC
09-01-20, 19:27
I confess, subscribe to, and profess wholeheartedly, without reservation or equivocation, the Unaltered Augsburg Confession of 1577. :cool:

That's religion...that's naughty of you.

Coal Dragger
09-01-20, 19:36
Generally I believe that if my decisions, actions, and direction in life aren’t hurting anyone else or infringing upon their constitutional rights that I should be left the hell alone.

LMT Shooter
09-01-20, 19:47
Not necessarily what I believe, but I think Heinlein’s sentiment is nice.

I buy everything except the part about honest politicians. Yes there are some, but they are the exception, not the rule.

If I could find a good video of Kevin Costners speech in Bull Durham, I'd post that.

marco.g
09-01-20, 19:55
Don’t bore me with questions of what I am willing to kill or die for.
Entice me with what I am prepared to live for.

He came back as Gandalf the White.

MountainRaven
09-01-20, 20:31
I buy everything except the part about honest politicians. Yes there are some, but they are the exception, not the rule.

If I could find a good video of Kevin Costners speech in Bull Durham, I'd post that.

To be fair, he wrote it 68 years ago.

morbidbattlecry
09-04-20, 21:49
I'm pretty sure my political beliefs would make some peoples head explode on here.

Averageman
09-05-20, 16:14
You earn your privilege and pay for your comfort in cash.

09-05-20, 16:25
First "see sigline."

That sigline also describes my positions.

TomMcC
09-05-20, 19:20
I'm pretty sure my political beliefs would make some peoples head explode on here.

I'll bite, what are they?

morbidbattlecry
09-05-20, 19:31
I'll bite, what are they?

I'm kind of a freedom nut i guess. As long as no one bothers me i won't bother them. Get an abortion? I don't care, I don't like the concept but it's none of my business what other people do.

Wanna get high and go to your gay friends wedding while dumping some belt feds without the retarded NFA? **** yeah lets do it.

I'm for a universal basic income, payed for buy getting rid of welfare and food stamps.

I'm currently on medicaid from the state while i'm in school. It's awesome, I would gladly pay for it when i'm back to work.

I'm a christian, but i don't read they bible. I think god commanded us to be kind to people and that's what I try to do.

I'm really anti war, but I i'm aware of the necessary of it some times. And if you are going to do it don't dick around with it. Make it as brutal and fast as possible to save lives down the road.

Here's the head explode A quote from Huey Long "No man should have too much, and no man should have too little". The more i think about it the more i like the idea of it.

AndyLate
09-05-20, 19:59
I'm kind of a freedom nut i guess. As long as no one bothers me i won't bother them. Get an abortion? I don't care, I don't like the concept but it's none of my business what other people do.

Wanna get high and go to your gay friends wedding while dumping some belt feds without the retarded NFA? **** yeah lets do it.

I'm for a universal basic income, payed for buy getting rid of welfare and food stamps.

I'm currently on medicaid from the state while i'm in school. It's awesome, I would gladly pay for it when i'm back to work.

I'm a christian, but i don't read they bible. I think god commanded us to be kind to people and that's what I try to do.

I'm really anti war, but I i'm aware of the necessary of it some times. And if you are going to do it don't dick around with it. Make it as brutal and fast as possible to save lives down the road.

Here's the head explode A quote from Huey Long "No man should have too much, and no man should have too little". The more i think about it the more i like the idea of it.

No offense, but my mind isn't blown, you think just like a great many of your age group. Nothing wrong with that.

Andy

TomMcC
09-05-20, 20:09

Thank you. I don't really agree with 95% of what you said, but it doesn't really matter what I think.

fledge
09-06-20, 12:38

I’d just change your first sentence since it’s inconsistent with your creed. You’re a “partial freedom nut.” You have some nice state violence included here to implement those tax plans.

AndyLate
09-06-20, 12:42

I re-read and something occurred to me. When you return to the workforce, you will indeed pay for Medicaid. The catch is that you won't be able to use it.

Andy