PDA

View Full Version : FCD RHF Handguard

08-26-20, 12:38
All,

I’m eyeballing a 11.5” MLok RHF to pair with a 12.5” barrel with a Turbo K. It will wear an IR laser, white light, sling, grip panels. Needs to be able to live its life as a beater. There are no reviews that I was able to find on google. A couple announcements, and a “best handguards list” is all I was able to find. Anybody have one of these?

drtywk
08-26-20, 14:22
They are made for FCD by CMT and are good to go in my book.

justin_247
08-26-20, 17:08
I encourage you to check out CMT's website before you purchase. They literally make dozens of different kinds of handguards and, if you like this one, you may like their other offerings, too.

For example, they sell handguards with M-LOK slots around the entire rail instead of just the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions.

https://www.cmttac.com/index.php?route=common/home

Wake27
08-26-20, 19:24
I've got the exact same length and have been pleased. It has one minor issue but I haven't bothered reaching out to FCD/CMT because it doesn't really affect me. Other than that, significantly lighter than I expected and while I have yet to get a laser, it may be my most abused gun so far and is still solid. I've small number of 3 guns where it gets thrown into barrels and a run n gun that also had dump barrels and obstacles that it got banged around on.

JediGuy
08-26-20, 19:35
Wake, or others with actual use, how important are the anti rotation tabs? I still have a lightweight Bootleg receiver, at it seems that the tabs impact with the front of the upper a bit due to the upper design.

Duffy
08-26-20, 19:38
We opted to keep RHF simple, simplicity has always been our theme for good reasons. RHF doesn't have QD sling swivel sockets, I don't like to dictate where users attach their slings, so RHF doesn't have any built-in sockets, the decision is completely left to the users.

RE: MLOK slots positions, we kept that simple too. If folks want to mount an MLOK in an offset position, there are no shortage of mounts for the job. I don't think we can think of, and provide everything for the users, it's impossible.

RHF 11.5 will soon be available in a 2 piece form factor that uses the TDP spec barrel nut, similar to RHF4 (quad rail, made by Centurion Arms for us). It too, will have 1913 rails on top, and MLOK at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.

08-26-20, 20:21
Thanks for the replies, everyone. This thing is sounding like a good idea.

Roger, are you saying I should wait for the two piece version? Primary concerns are durability and holding a zero. Not too worried about weight. Any difference in outside diameter?

ColtSeavers
08-26-20, 20:38
Wake, or others with actual use, how important are the anti rotation tabs? I still have a lightweight Bootleg receiver, at it seems that the tabs impact with the front of the upper a bit due to the upper design.

I don't have the specific handguards in this thread, but I am a long time YHM handguard user. Anti rotation tabs are a MUST*. Without them, I can easily torque loose an handguard to the point that only the gas tube is keeping it aligned. I've done it multiple times far more easily than I like despite it being inadvertant. It's why I specifically look for anti rotation tabs, a picatinny rail slot at the end of the handguard rail so that I can bridge the gap with an RSA*, or both.

Duffy
08-26-20, 21:18
Inside diameter of RHF-C 11.5 is 1.37, OD is slightly (0.05 or so) larger, and it will be slightly heavier too. As it uses the standard steel TDP spec barrel nut, it's strong and will hold zero for sights and lasers well. It will be more expensive as it's a 2 piece and uses a lot more machining time.

08-26-20, 21:33
Inside diameter of RHF-C 11.5 is 1.37, OD is slightly (0.05 or so) larger, and it will be slightly heavier too. As it uses the standard steel TDP spec barrel nut, it's strong and will hold zero for sights and lasers well. It will be more expensive as it's a 2 piece and uses a lot more machining time.

Decisions, decisions. When are we talking?

Duffy
08-26-20, 21:48
That we're not sure about. One piece RHFs are scheduled to be here around October, RHF-C 11.5 will most likely be in November, around the same time as our forged uppers receivers.

08-26-20, 22:08
That we're not sure about. One piece RHFs are scheduled to be here around October, RHF-C 11.5 will most likely be in November, around the same time as our forged uppers receivers.

Oh dang. I thought the one piece ones were in stock. Either way, I’m leaning toward the one piece, currently.

Sidebar, I just DT mounted my Turbo K on my 14” upper (Normally unsuppressed) and played around dry comparing it to my 12.3” with M4SDk, (which normally lives on my 11.3”). Overall length is only about .75” longer, somehow. And wow is that can light.

Ironman8
08-26-20, 22:34

Roger,

Is this the "Milspec" bbl nut that needs to be timed to the gas tube? Or something different now?

All lengths of the one piece rails due in October? Might be looking for an 11.5 and 13.7

Also, do the weights listed on the website include the bbl nut?

PrivateCitizen
08-26-20, 22:47
I own both the CMT hybrid (mlok+pic rail front) 11.5 and the FCD RHF (CMT OEM) 11.5, one on a Triarc 12.5, the other on a Centurion 12.5".

The handguard is exactly 11.5 forward of the upper receiver.

Both are outstanding and I have zero complaints. Clearance with a Turbo K is prime. I have mine with KeyMo adapters.

In terms of thickness/gauge I'd say it is more than an BCM KCMR but def less than a DD or Geissele

The current CMT/RHF (one piece) barrel nut similar to the Geissele and is not timed. The install wrench claims it is single use, YMMV.

This would absolutely fit the bill as a daily driver. Rock solid.

Sticks IG has a ton of the CMT version pics as does HoltWorks.

I'd easily buy again.

(and also ducks)

https://theprivatecitizen.com/_img/cmt12.5.jpg
(not my pic)

08-26-20, 22:59
I own both the CMT hybrid (mlok+pic rail front) 11.5 and the FCD RHF (CMT OEM) 11.5, one on a Triarc 12.5, the other on a Centurion 12.5".

The handguard is exactly 11.5 forward of the upper receiver.

Both are outstanding and I have zero complaints. Clearance with a Turbo K is prime. I have mine with KeyMo adapters.

In terms of thickness/gauge I'd say it is more than an BCM KCMR but def less than a DD or Geissele

The current CMT/RHF (one piece) barrel nut similar to the Geissele and is not timed. The install wrench claims it is single use, YMMV.

This would absolutely fit the bill as a daily driver. Rock solid.

Sticks IG has a ton of the CMT version pics as does HoltWorks.

I'd easily buy again.

(and also ducks)

https://theprivatecitizen.com/_img/cmt12.5.jpg

Thanks dude.

Triarc and Centurion are the barrels I’m considering.

Daily driver is exactly what I intend here.

Yeah, I’m gonna do the one piece setup as soon as I can.

Wake27
08-27-20, 06:32
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200827/a255c7f4dadbbce60bcaff3e6ac9af38.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200827/e5b3b47e6af4d394eb0152e12fc71828.jpg

Mine is paired with a 12.5 Hodge and will eventually get a KAC CQB can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffy
08-27-20, 10:03
It is indeed the TDP spec steel barrel nut that requires timing for the gas tube. RHF4/RHF-C barrel nut isn't included, but can be ordered with the hand guard.
11.5" one piece RHF will be the first to drop, with other lengths to follow every 2 to 3 weeks :)

The stamped barrel nut wrench for the one piece RHF is meant to be a single use, I've used the same several times (both for installation and removal), I noticed slight deformation around some lugs but they're still usable. A castle nut wrench can be used in a pinch, the fit is loose but the lugs line up with the notches.

Roger,

Is this the "Milspec" bbl nut that needs to be timed to the gas tube? Or something different now?

All lengths of the one piece rails due in October? Might be looking for an 11.5 and 13.7

Also, do the weights listed on the website include the bbl nut?

08-27-20, 10:15
Dude. I need to be able to backorder/preorder stuff on your site. Like maybe set a limit for one of each item per person for that.

It is indeed the TDP spec steel barrel nut that requires timing for the gas tube. RHF4/RHF-C barrel nut isn't included, but can be ordered with the hand guard.
11.5" one piece RHF will be the first to drop, with other lengths to follow every 2 to 3 weeks :)

The stamped barrel nut wrench for the one piece RHF is meant to be a single use, I've used the same several times (both for installation and removal), I noticed slight deformation around some lugs but they're still usable. A castle nut wrench can be used in a pinch, the fit is loose but the lugs line up with the notches.

Duffy
08-27-20, 13:34
We like our customers and would like to keep them as customers, so we never do pre-orders. I don't like to hold on to customers' money when we can't deliver what they paid for, and folks can get very upset when delays happen, which are a norm but the buck stops with us, no amount of pointing out where the delays take place will make things better.

I waited 10 years for my Shrike upper, all while they were sending the uppers to influencers and customers that paid full price. Pre-orders sometimes are just interest free loans for companies to obtain capital to fund the project, folks don't take kindly to it.

So we've never done pre-orders, at most we'd enable back orders when we know the products have been shipped to us, even that I don't like because it stresses me out when shipping delays happen.

JediGuy
08-27-20, 14:41
For my part, I appreciate your approach. Just this year, I had something placed in back order by a large, well-respected company, and it dragged on forever. (No, not Geissele.)

It can seem odd to always see a product Out of Stock, as it can make one wonder if this actually means “discontinued.” But I think you do put in notes when there is some expected time frame.

Duffy
08-27-20, 17:21
We make most products in small batches, even though these are being doubled or tripled these days. Small batches allow us to move quickly to address issues or improve the product. Stuff like the CNF (castle nut) is unlikely to see more changes, we make lots of them each time (and still run out lol). ABC/R is on v3, there's very little likelihood there'd be a v4, so we now are in full volume production mode on these, but each takes 26 minutes to make from a solid block of steel, not to mention heat treat and nitride post processes, we can't seem to make enough of them.

We're in control of the growth, never the other way around. Over confidence and excess inventory meet a down turn in the industry can be disastrous for small companies.

CowboyWubWub
09-11-20, 14:12
I’m definitely interested in RHF-C. I’ve been debating a bunch of 11.5” handguards for a while but was feeling concerned about going too skinny.

Ironman8
09-11-20, 14:20
Roger, thanks for all the feedback on this. How rigid is the hand guard? IE, does it have much flex? My understanding is most “rigid” hand guards use a longer barrel nut but being that the GI bbl nut is pretty short, I’m curious how much flex it will have compared to others on the market?

Duffy
09-11-20, 22:07
It's a mature design, Monty's had this design when he first started Centurion Arms. It hasn't changed throughout the years, that should tell you something. He changes things as he sees fit, and leaves them alone if they don't need to be improved on. I'd estimate it's as rigid as the old school FF RAS and DD Lite Rail. I haven't heard of any flexing issues with them, nor with Monty's C4 rails this is based on.

They will start working on it soon, ETA is still November, along with forged uppers they're also making for us :)

CowboyWubWub
01-18-21, 08:08
Obviously things are wild right now in the industry, but do you have any updated ETA on RHF-C?

Duffy
01-21-21, 12:30
They're on the schedule, but we have no ETA yet.

Sry0fcr
01-21-21, 14:06

Roger,

FDE Ano.

Please and thank you.

05-03-21, 11:12

Roger, I bought two 11.5” MLok FCD handguards not too long after starting this thread.

What I love: it is light, solid, and the weight reduction is sensible and tasteful. It has solid antirotation tabs like I wish SLR would use. The wedge doodads work as advertised. I also love that it exists in a 11.5” length.

What I don’t love: It is too skinny for me. I’d like future versions (such as the planned Centurion collab) to be ~1.75” OD like the URX4. Its skinniness is similar to my Wedgelock rail. I realize that everybody digs the ~1.5” OD handguards, but sometimes I wonder if there is an issue determining what people really want. I can elaborate at great length on my opinions on this subject, but I realize that the diameter is a byproduct of the barrel nut interface design, like the Wedgelock. Also, 1.5-2.5 MLok slots on the frontmost bit of the 45s, staggered like the ones on the URX4, would be pretty cool.

Duffy
05-03-21, 11:32
Delays are the norm, last I heard it was going to be couple of months :(

05-03-21, 11:35
Delays are the norm, last I heard it was going to be couple of months :(
Nah, I already have them in hand. I found them in-stock somewhere a few months ago.