PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't told about a "blem" on reciever before buying at LGS...

AO520
08-27-20, 01:10
I was at a local gun store, and decided to buy a new BCM complete lower for $400. Pricey for a complete lower, but also a brand I value so it was worth it to me. Plus it came with some nice BCM accessories like the PNT Trigger, BCM Pistol Grip Mod 3, and BCM Stock Mod 0.

I gave it a once over at the store and it looked perfect. Got home and noticed on the box it says "BCM GUNFIGHTER LOWER GROUP BLK BLEM". I go back and look it over better, and find a little bare spot of metal under the front take down pin.

Nobody mentioned to me that is was a blem, and it wasnt written on the price tag. Obviously its on me to look the gun over before I buy it, but at the same time I feel they should have written "Blem" in the description on the price tag or some kind of heads up.

I'm still happy with it and don't plan on returning it, or saying anything to the store... But what would you do if this happened to you?

Also any suggestions on what to do about that bare metal spot? Is there a cheap and easy product to protect the metal and make the spot black?

Thanks and I hope everyone has a great day!

titsonritz
08-27-20, 03:01
Not a big deal IMO.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/blackening-browning/aluminum-black-sku167004170-4941-11051.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-167-004-170&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=167-004-170

R0CKETMAN
08-27-20, 04:50
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200827/cdcdff52a964be8966610e77ab3bd2ba.jpg

SteveL
08-27-20, 05:17
Not a big deal IMO.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/blackening-browning/aluminum-black-sku167004170-4941-11051.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-167-004-170&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=167-004-170
This.

me2hootyhoo
08-27-20, 06:21
I would promptly use it in training and get it good and dirty. Scars add character. It is more fun using it the way it was intended to be, than admiring how clean it is.

sidewaysil80
08-27-20, 07:07
I mean I’d be a little pissed that I paid $85 + tax more then what I could’ve gotten in for from GandR Tactical. I’d call and ask if they knew it was a blem model. Realistically it’s a moot point and I’d likely cold blue it or use as an excuse to paint the rifle.

matemike
08-27-20, 07:30
All rifles were new once...then they're blemmed forever after the first time you truly use them. So it should not be a cosmetic issue for you.

If it's a trust issue with your LGS because you think they pulled one over on you to the tune of $400, then just let them know. Don't demand to be reimbursed or start a fight. Either continue to shop there or cease to based on their response.

JWill1776
08-27-20, 08:28
Primary Arms was selling BCM "blem" complete lower receivers for $340 recently, but they are now out of stock and are priced at $395. So, I would not worry about being charged $400 for a BCM blem lower. If it had not been marked as blem, you probably would have to pay more.

markm
08-27-20, 08:34
I wouldn't give that a second thought. The take down pin area are going to get all scratched up anyway.

fledge
08-27-20, 08:39
I’d be more miffed at the LGS failing disclosure than at the item and price you got. Would make me hesitate to buy there again but not regret my purchase.

JWill1776
08-27-20, 09:07
I go back and look it over better, and find a little bare spot of metal under the front take down pin.

Good grief...seriously? That actually bothers you? Wow.

VLODPG
08-27-20, 09:24
I would be ecstatic to get a complete BCM bottom end for $400. They are going north of that(when you can actually find one)for awhile now in my area.

jackblack73
08-27-20, 09:33
I mean I’d be a little pissed that I paid $85 + tax more then what I could’ve gotten in for from GandR Tactical. I’d call and ask if they knew it was a blem model. Realistically it’s a moot point and I’d likely cold blue it or use as an excuse to paint the rifle.

The one I see on G&R doesn't come with a stock and is out of stock. So $400 doesn't seem like a bad deal in today's market.

I could understand being a little upset over the principle of the matter if you think the gun store isn't being forthright, but I probably wouldn't bother doing anything unless I had a decent relationship with the store.

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-27-20, 09:44
The blem wouldn't bother me, but the LGS should label them as such.

JWill1776
08-27-20, 09:59
The blem wouldn't bother me, but the LGS should label them as such.

The LGS did label it as such, from the OP: "Got home and noticed on the box it says "BCM GUNFIGHTER LOWER GROUP BLK BLEM" Apparently the OP did not notice it. He is bothered by the fact that the LGS did not verbally tell him it was a blem. Then we find out the "blem" is a tiny spot in a place not even visible once the rifle is assembled, easily fixed as per previous comments. The price he paid is absolutely fair for a "blem" BCM lower, unless you find them on sale from Primary Arms for $340, but then you pay shipping and the FFL transfer fee.

Having said that, the LGS should have indicated it was a blem, verbally, and if the OP walked away from it, I'm sure somebody would snatch it up quickly recognizing it as the good deal it was.

Stickman
08-27-20, 10:20
Its labeled BLEM on the box, but unless you asked for a BLEM model, you didn't get what you requested. Other persons have already commented that the take down pin will hide the mark, and that is correct, but I can still understand the point you are making.

If you want to clean it up, use aluma black from Casey, it is not something that can be cold blued as it is aluminum and not steel. Get the stuff for aluminum or it isn't going to work correctly.

PracticalRifleman
08-27-20, 10:27
It’s SOP for them to bring the box and let you inspect it before paying and filling out paperwork. Did they not let you inspect it? Did they not put it back in the box before you paid? Reality is in today’s market you certainly didn’t get ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerplode
08-27-20, 10:34
But what would you do if this happened to you?
Slap an upper on it, load that bitch up, and shoot the shit out of it.

It's a tool, not a first generation SAA or some fine english double...

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-27-20, 10:46
The LGS did label it as such, from the OP: "Got home and noticed on the box it says "BCM GUNFIGHTER LOWER GROUP BLK BLEM" Apparently the OP did not notice it. He is bothered by the fact that the LGS did not verbally tell him it was a blem. Then we find out the "blem" is a tiny spot in a place not even visible once the rifle is assembled, easily fixed as per previous comments. The price he paid is absolutely fair for a "blem" BCM lower, unless you find them on sale from Primary Arms for $340, but then you pay shipping and the FFL transfer fee.

Having said that, the LGS should have indicated it was a blem, verbally, and if the OP walked away from it, I'm sure somebody would snatch it up quickly recognizing it as the good deal it was.

The LGS didn't label the box, BCM did. They should have been marked as blems on the shelf so anyone looking at them would know they were blems.

sidewaysil80
08-27-20, 11:07
OK I miss read it the first time. I’ve never had one and I thought the lower itself was labeled Blem. If it is no different label wise then a standard BCM lower, and the only way to tell is a sticker on the box… Yes I’d be pretty pissed if they labeled it as a regular one thus increasing their markup, but not disclosing it’s a blem model.

JWill1776
08-27-20, 11:09
Yes I’d be pretty pissed if they labeled it as a regular one thus increasing their markup, but not disclosing it’s a blem model.

But in fact they did not "increase their markup" and he got a great deal, as per the facts posted above what blems are going for. Come on guys, isn't this just a wee-bit ridiculous? I mean, heck, if the thing had some kind of hideous gouge across it: a) He would have noticed it; b) he would not have bought it. But it has a tiny little bare spot in a place nobody would ever be able to see it. He got a great price.

sidewaysil80
08-27-20, 12:00
But in fact they did not "increase their markup" and he got a great deal, as per the facts posted above what blems are going for.

BCM standard lower is $395 w/ stock
BCM blem lower is $335 w/stock
OP's blem lower was $400 w/stock

So yes, they sold him a blem lower at the standard lower price...I'm not sure how that DOESN'T increase their markup :confused:

If they didn't label/price it correctly intentionally, I wouldn't do business with them again. But more then likely it was done in error and the price difference wouldn't be enough to make me stop using a store I frequent.

AO520
08-27-20, 14:47
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions!... I feel much better about it after reading your thoughts.

It's a small blem and not an issue for me. The fact that it wasn't mentioned on the price tag description is what kinda bothered me. But in the end i'm very happy and will take it as a learning lesson for future purchases.

Thanks again!

SiGfever
08-27-20, 16:38
I wouldn't worry about the lower, but I would worry about the LGS.

Swstock
08-27-20, 19:06
I have a couple BCM blem lowers.

IMO the C mark is worse than the "blem" because the blems are so insignificant.

ColtSeavers
08-27-20, 21:19
https://media.officedepot.com/image/upload/b_rgb:FFFFFF,c_pad,dpr_1.0,f_auto,h_666,q_auto,w_500/c_pad,h_666,w_500/v1/products/203349/203349_o03_sharpie_fine_pointpermanent_markers_102219?pgw=1

Or this

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200827/cdcdff52a964be8966610e77ab3bd2ba.jpg

If you're really concerned about it.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-28-20, 01:11
I wouldn't worry about the lower, but I would worry about the LGS.

Finally, a voice of reason emerges.

pag23
08-28-20, 06:06
I bought a blem BCM lower from G&R with a decent scratch to the side of the lower receiver, but I just painted over it...

JWill1776
08-28-20, 07:31
BCM standard lower is $395 w/ stock
BCM blem lower is $335 w/stock
OP's blem lower was $400 w/stock

I'm not sure we are both talking about the exact same thing.

I thought the OP purchased a *complete* BCM Lower Receiver (one that comes with the BCM stock, etc - complete). If that is not the case, I did not read his initial comments or understand them well enough.

Please provide a link to a retailer has complete BCM blem lowers for $335, in stock.

The least expensive price I've seen are sales run by Primary Arms recently, $340, plus shipping, then you have to add the FFL transfer fee to it and you are close to $400.

I'm not aware of where one an purchase a complete non-blem BCM for $400, in stock, please link to that source as well.

So, for example, this is NOT a complete BCM lower receiver and it is not in stock, but the retailer has a "retail price" on it of $425, sells it for $315, it comes without the stock and he has none in inventory: https://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Blem-Lower_p_1260.html

Plato
08-28-20, 14:54
Hmm....

LoL

Hammer_Man
08-28-20, 14:59
Painted ARs are sexy.

chef8489
08-28-20, 16:37
Only thing I would be upset about it that the lgs didnt disclose it was a blem. Maybe it was a mix up but who knows. I might consider contacting them and asking them just to see their reaction.

Pappabear
08-28-20, 16:44
My guess is that isn't the Blem. It might be but I bought two Stripped BCM lowers from BCM years ago. One was a blemish the other was not. The one that wasn't got dropped on the concrete on the way to my car and it really looked like a blem lower, just fck me thought. The blem lower was perfect, I couldn't find anything on it.

I swear I think some companies get overstocked and sell shit as blems that are not blems. But dont want to trash their prices. I would be a little annoyed if they didn't tell me.

PB

Swstock
08-28-20, 18:02
My guess is that isn't the Blem. It might be but I bought two Stripped BCM lowers from BCM years ago. One was a blemish the other was not. The one that wasn't got dropped on the concrete on the way to my car and it really looked like a blem lower, just fck me thought. The blem lower was perfect, I couldn't find anything on it.

I swear I think some companies get overstocked and sell shit as blems that are not blems. But dont want to trash their prices. I would be a little annoyed if they didn't tell me.

PB

Its a blem. You can tell by the C stamped behind the pivot pin.

Steve-0-
08-28-20, 19:09
Spending $400 on anything and its not disclosed that theres an imperfection is ridiculous. I used to point out the blems to customers and why its a blem. It may be the LGS's mistake but when it says it on the box, that means its in the computer as a blem. People can say well paint over it but thats beyond the point. I could care less about blems but ive met hundreds of people who dont want even a scratch of their guns.

R0CKETMAN
08-28-20, 20:15
Its a blem. You can tell by the C stamped behind the pivot pin.

Papa isn’t questioning whether or not it’s a blem, rather that the finish issue at the pivot is indeed “the blem”.

DG23
08-28-20, 20:47
I’d be more miffed at the LGS failing disclosure than at the item and price you got. Would make me hesitate to buy there again but not regret my purchase.

Got home and noticed on the box it says "BCM GUNFIGHTER LOWER GROUP BLK BLEM"

They did disclose it and it is pretty sad that blems are going for that price now and guys accept it. :(

AO520
08-28-20, 20:59
IMO the gun shop didn't disclose it. It was on the box that BCM sent to them and then they gave to me...yes. A box I never saw till I had paid at the register and was given the lower in its box. When it was in the glass case with a price tag and description there was no mention of it being a blem.

AO520
08-28-20, 21:01
Papa isn’t questioning whether or not it’s a blem, rather that the finish issue at the pivot is indeed “the blem”.

That would be interesting! I'll look it over again but I didn't see any obvious marks besides that one. Not sure what else the blem could be. It drops mags freely.

RHINOWSO
08-28-20, 22:34
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2Fimages%2Fb6300d64e19c8e97842971526432eac1%2Ftenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Steve-0-
08-28-20, 22:56
I think most of you are missing the point and the next time you buy a product thats not perfect but sold to you as being that, then dont bitch. That goes for a BBQ, Car, knife, hell anything. He was sold a lower as non blem only to find out it was blem. Yeah, paint and alumiblack can mask it but its the principal of the matter.

AndyLate
08-28-20, 23:07
The gunstore should have made it plain it was a blem. It may be an honest mistake or a dishonest and overt act to "forget" to point it out. I would not drive down to the shop to complain, but I would certainly call or e-mail the owner or manager.

After that, I would just use the lower and forget about it. It's a seller's market and sometimes you just have to take your lumps and move on.

Andy

Colt Carson
08-29-20, 08:14
Especially in these times... it’s better to have what you want than go without fretting over a few bucks that you’ll never miss in a matter of months. We all like to get a good deal, but sometimes things just work out differently.

CatBacker88
08-29-20, 08:58
Let's all page back and take another look at the picture of the blem in question and ask ourselves again, where's IG when you need him?

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-29-20, 09:02
I think most of you are missing the point and the next time you buy a product thats not perfect but sold to you as being that, then dont bitch. That goes for a BBQ, Car, knife, hell anything. He was sold a lower as non blem only to find out it was blem. Yeah, paint and alumiblack can mask it but its the principal of the matter.

It's quite sad how many missed the point entirely.

Pilgrim
08-29-20, 13:20
Gun store owner was deceptive... whether intentional or not... but if I had saw a BCM blem complete lower for $400.00 at my LGS last week, I would have snagged it without a second thought. Loves me some BCM blem lowers. I would be so happy to have one it would dramatically offset the irritation of being deceived.

I have 2 BCM MCMR uppers on $189.00 PSA MOE lowers, the shame... Actually the current PSA lowers are a really good match for the BCM uppers.

It’s going to get all scratched to heck in the back of the truck anyways.

Buncheong
08-29-20, 14:09
It's quite sad how many missed the point entirely.

A very common problem in our society in 2020, which is regularly seen here on M4C.

PracticalRifleman
08-29-20, 14:10

All things manufactured have blems. ALL things.

PracticalRifleman
08-29-20, 14:11
Gun store owner was deceptive... whether intentional or not... but if I had saw a BCM blem complete lower for $400.00 at my LGS last week, I would have snagged it without a second thought. Loves me some BCM blem lowers. I would be so happy to have one it would dramatically offset the irritation of being deceived.

I have 2 BCM MCMR uppers on $189.00 PSA MOE lowers, the shame... Actually the current PSA lowers are a really good match for the BCM uppers.

It’s going to get all scratched to heck in the back of the truck anyways.

Why is the assumption malice and not oversight? No benefit of the doubt for anybody?

I everybody is such a Karen anymore.

Hammer_Man
08-29-20, 14:16
I say contact the gun store, and explain the situation. If anything they might be willing to work out a return, or perhaps take the lower back in exchange for another item or store credit. If they tell you to pound sand, then you know who not to do business with again. Lastly, this serves as a reminder to everybody to always thoroughly inspect a firearm before making a purchase.

3 AE
08-29-20, 14:37
:suicide:

JWill1776
08-29-20, 15:39
Just picked up my BLEM BMC lower from my FFL and I told them about this thread and we all enjoyed a great laugh over it. As my LGS guy said, "He should be thankful he found anything in stock at this point." This topic and this thread is very amusing.

I've looked over my BCM "blem" and best as I can tell, the stock is a bit scuffed.

ChattanoogaPhil
08-29-20, 18:39
Sloppy or dishonest. Neither earns repeat business.

AndyLate
08-30-20, 07:42
Sloppy or dishonest. Neither earns repeat business.

On point!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-30-20, 14:27
Just picked up my BLEM BMC lower from my FFL and I told them about this thread and we all enjoyed a great laugh over it. As my LGS guy said, "He should be thankful he found anything in stock at this point." This topic and this thread is very amusing.

I've looked over my BCM "blem" and best as I can tell, the stock is a bit scuffed.

Your comment reeks of low integrity, for both you and your FFL.

Why is this so hard to comprehend? Seller sells you product x as a factory new product. However, product x is actually a factory second. Buyer buys product x thinking it is brand new, finds out it is actually a factory second, and is irritated that he was duped.

The blemish itself doesn't seem like that big of an issue, it's the unscrupulous business dealings. I'm sure the buyer is happy to have a good quality lower with a minor tool mark, but he seems equally unhappy that he basically got scammed by a dishonest person.

PracticalRifleman
08-30-20, 14:37
Your comment reeks of low integrity, for both you and your FFL.

Why is this so hard to comprehend? Seller sells you product x as a factory new product. However, product x is actually a factory second. Buyer buys product x thinking it is brand new, finds out it is actually a factory second, and is irritated that he was duped.

The blemish itself doesn't seem like that big of an issue, it's the unscrupulous business dealings. I'm sure the buyer is happy to have a good quality lower with a minor tool mark, but he seems equally unhappy that he basically got scammed by a dishonest person.

It can be blemished but that doesn’t mean it’s not new.

Why is it assumed malice and not oversight?

jackblack73
08-30-20, 14:39
People can't seem to separate the two issues. When something is sold as new or unblemished, it should be new or unblemished. Yes, it was still a good deal considering the current market. That doesn't change the fact that items for sale should be represented correctly.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-30-20, 14:43
It can be blemished but that doesn’t mean it’s not new.

Why is it assumed malice and not oversight?

The buyer received a factory second, when it was implied that the product was not. However the seller got to that point doesn't really matter when, at the end of the day, the buyer was scammed. The seller can make it right and prove that it was oversight, or not make it right and prove it was dishonesty.

PracticalRifleman
08-30-20, 14:46
The buyer received a factory second, when it was implied that the product was not. However the seller got to that point doesn't really matter when, at the end of the day, the buyer was scammed. The seller can make it right and prove that it was oversight, or not make it right and prove it was dishonesty.

And the OP hasn’t asked them to rectify it. So I don’t know why the chest thumping.

Newsflash. No product is unblemished. None. Zero. Zip. Perfection is a pursuit, not a realization. It is just a matter how obvious a blemish is.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-30-20, 14:50
And the OP hasn’t asked them to rectify it. So I don’t know why the chest thumping.

Newsflash. No product is unblemished. None. Zero. Zip. Perfection is a pursuit, not a realization. It is just a matter how obvious a blemish is.

LOL! When a business MARKETS their product as blemished, we can safely say it is. Why you can't understand that I don't know.

PracticalRifleman
08-30-20, 14:55
LOL! When a business MARKETS their product as blemished, we can safely say it is. Why you can't understand that I don't know.

You made the argument that an item is “new and unblemished” or a “factory second”.

Ever purchased a Colt?

Ever buy a car? Pair of jeans? Boots?

Some companies pay more attention to cosmetics than others. BCM is one of those, thus they market anything with an obvious cosmetic imperfection a “blem”. That doesn’t mean it’s perfect or that all other new items are immaculate.

Why you can’t understand that, I don’t know.

But at the end of the day, the OP seems satisfied and doesn’t want to return the item. Nor has he asked for an explanation from the shop. Most express at this point he should be happy to have gotten it at all in this market.

Until the OP expressing willingness to find out, why should we assume malice?

mark5pt56
08-30-20, 16:24
ok boys, this one has run the course.