PDA

View Full Version : How to build this PDW? Source for parts.

machinegunman
08-27-20, 16:07
I wasn't really sure where to post this, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is a early 90's (pre ban) Rocky Mountain Arms Patriot Pistol

I've always wanted one for a PDW but the price of these has increased over the years ($2,500-$3,200).

I'm wanting to build one but I noticed that there are unique parts that I am not familiar with and not sure who produced them.

The upper receiver looks to have a built in riser: are these still produced?

The handguard appears to be larger than anything i have found on the internet, it looks like its 6" long and possibly 2.5" diameter, can these be produced or purchased?

The gas block looks familiar but not sure the make, is this a pistol or carbine gas system?

The buffer tube (receiver extension) could be purchased but i don't know where.

I intend to build this PDW with either a stock or a pistol brace and with a C-More tactical red dot sight.

Thank you for any help.

GH41
08-29-20, 07:30
The reason they cost what they do is because people collect weird shit.

Circle_10
08-29-20, 08:40
If you want a PDW I bet you could build something far superior to that without even having to source a bunch of weirdo non standard parts.

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-29-20, 09:00
I could see someone buying one or building one if parts were available just to have one but to actually use one for a PDW in 2020 doesn't make much sense.

ColtSeavers
08-29-20, 22:05
I've always wanted one for a PDW but the price of these has increased over the years ($2,500-$3,200).

I'd sell it for $3,500, and build a newer, better, PDW with money left over.

Otherwise:
Carbine gas port location is 7", pistol is 4".
DPMS used to make a built in riser upper receiver.
Use a brace.
If it uses a standard buffer tube, get any receiver extension/buffer tube you want, or a receiver extension/buffer tube that's made to work with the specific brace you would like if you don't get a brace that works with a standard receiver extension.
The pic makes it look as if the handguard partially covers the gas block.
Gas block looks like it's a straight gas tube setup.

Circle_10
08-30-20, 07:12
If you want one of these because you just think they are neat, or you saw one in a movie somewhere, or they hold some nostalgia value for you, then by all means build away. Not every gun has to have a serious purpose, hell I kinda want a Mauser C96. But if you are wanting a legit PDW - a Personal Defense Weapon for when you need firepower and you need it now you can do better than this thing.

JoshNC
09-02-20, 22:02
I remember lusting after the RMA patriot pistols back in the 90s. They were so novel at the time. As others have said, there are far better options now.

Diamondback
09-03-20, 00:22
I'd sell it for $3,500, and build a newer, better, PDW with money left over.

Otherwise:
Carbine gas port location is 7", pistol is 4".
DPMS used to make a built in riser upper receiver.
Use a brace.
If it uses a standard buffer tube, get any receiver extension/buffer tube you want, or a receiver extension/buffer tube that's made to work with the specific brace you would like if you don't get a brace that works with a standard receiver extension.
The pic makes it look as if the handguard partially covers the gas block.
Gas block looks like it's a straight gas tube setup.

Too strong to say "get a Mk 18 or Geissele URG-I pistol, get to training with it and get a life"? (with apologies to Firefly)

But if it's just for the quirky and geekout factor, proceed and GL, OP.