PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Micro T2/CompM5 vs. Trijicon MRO HD

WillieThom
08-27-20, 20:34
Does anyone have any time on the MRO HD and an opinion on where it ranks vs. Aimpoint?

I am a fan of Aimpoint Micros but having watched Aaron Cowan’s video on the newer MRO HD, I was curious of peoples’ thoughts on it and whether or not it stacks up and if it is worth the money or if one would be smarter spending a little more on a more proven optic (like Aimpoint).

grizzman
08-27-20, 21:12
I don't recall anyone here giving any feedback about, nor even mentioning the MRO HD, so that should be a solid indicator that it's not taking over any market share yet.

At over $600, it makes little sense to me to choose the MRO HD over a T2. The only reason I bought a couple MROs instead of additional T2s was the price. I don't see any areas in which the MRO HD is a worthwhile improvement over the standard MRO.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-28-20, 01:54
Never owned an MRO of any flavor, sorry. I do own a T2, and I have seen enough videos of the MRO HD and variants that I fail to see how they stack up to the elite T2.

maximus83
08-28-20, 02:44
Also if price is any part of your concern, shop around a bit. I just a week ago found a new T2 (without mount--I already had one) for $661 at Eurooptics.com. Unfortunately that place is now sold out. If you need a mount, check out places like Larue (https://www.larue.com/products/aimpoint-micro-t-2-2moa-m4-qd-mount-combo/)and Scalarworks, often they have good packaged deals that include their mount with a T2 for better than you could buy them separately.

fred
08-28-20, 03:13
We have the Aimpoint and the MRO at work. They are not babied, and are both dependable and rugged. Aimpoint has longer battery life so far.

MStarmer
08-29-20, 21:41
I have a MRO HD on a Scalarworks mount (bought from them as a package). I'd had a regular MRO and sold it off to a friend and upgraded to a T2, hated it and got the MRO HD from Scalarworks with mount. It's been great so far. I like the dual reticle option (although battery life suffers) and seems to do well with magnifiers. My friend has the combo and mine is paired with a Sig Juliet 3x, both seem clear. I just feel like I see better thru the MRO than the Aimpoint's. I do have an old H1 that I've ran for like 10 years, side by side I preferred it over the T2. Having to run the T2 on 10 just to be visible with my light meant the battery wasn't going to last any longer than the MRO on dot mode.

chamber143
08-30-20, 19:14
Strange isnt it? I just bought a new t2 for my rifle and put my t1 on my back up rifle, and i be damned the t2 is so dim that i have to put it on over 10 to see it inside during the day and on 12 to see it at all outside. My t1 is much brighter at much lower levels than the t2. Not sure i am liking it to be honest. I wonder if it’s because the t2 is a 4moa dot is why it is brighter.

MStarmer
09-02-20, 11:54
Strange isnt it? I just bought a new t2 for my rifle and put my t1 on my back up rifle, and i be damned the t2 is so dim that i have to put it on over 10 to see it inside during the day and on 12 to see it at all outside. My t1 is much brighter at much lower levels than the t2. Not sure i am liking it to be honest. I wonder if it’s because the t2 is a 4moa dot is why it is brighter.

I felt exactly the same way, I sent mine back literally the next day. T2 should only be a 2moa dot.

chamber143
09-02-20, 12:14
I felt exactly the same way, I sent mine back literally the next day. T2 should only be a 2moa dot.

My bad that’s what I meant. My t1 is 4 moa and seems much brighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MStarmer
09-02-20, 13:31
My ancient H1 is 4moa as well, that's why I wanted to upgrade but as stated it is significantly brighter. I've had (2) MRO's (latest is an HD) and the brightness is a much more useable level. Same with my array of Holosuns.

Saber329
09-03-20, 07:12

I don't feel so bad now. I picked-up another T-2 a week or two ago and I have the same issue; I have to set it on 10 to see it inside. My older T-2s are much brighter.

Something else I noticed at the 10 or above setting is "stray" red light around the outer edges of the FOV. Are you noticing this as well? If I remember, I'll snap a pic if I'm not explaining this clearly. Never had this problem with my older units.

chamber143
09-03-20, 07:14
I don't feel so bad now. I picked-up another T-2 a week or two ago and I have the same issue; I have to set it on 10 to see it inside. My older T-2s are much brighter.

Something else I noticed at the 10 or above setting is "stray" red light around the outer edges of the FOV. Are you noticing this as well? If I remember, I'll snap a pic if I'm not explaining this clearly. Never had this problem with my older units.

Yeah same here. I see a ring around the inside that I never saw with my t1 unless it was on 12. I’m not really happy with the t2 right now but I am going to give it try for a little and it may end up going on my back up rifle and putting my t1 back on my hd gun

MStarmer
09-03-20, 10:53
Glad to see I wasn't the only one underimpressed by the newer units. I almost got a Comp M5, wonder if it's better or the same.

Defaultmp3
09-03-20, 11:07
Just a data point, but from talking to other MRDS pistol shooters, it seems that larger dots are perceived as being brighter, with the brightness settings being equal, at least for the RMR. Perhaps this also carries over to the Micros.

chamber143
09-03-20, 11:23
Just a data point, but from talking to other MRDS pistol shooters, it seems that larger dots are perceived as being brighter, with the brightness settings being equal, at least for the RMR. Perhaps this also carries over to the Micros.

I’m sure that that is the case. Just not sure with these being considered military optics, how these would work in the blinding brightness of the sand box. I love EOTech but hate the battery life

Defaultmp3
09-03-20, 11:27
I’m sure that that is the case. Just not sure with these being considered military optics, how these would work in the blinding brightness of the sand box. I love EOTech but hate the battery lifeMy CompM5 works fine out here in the AZ desert, and I traditionally have my RDS brightness cranked pretty high (my RMRs and my ACROs are on the second highest setting when running pistols).

chamber143
09-03-20, 11:30
My CompM5 works fine out here in the AZ desert, and I traditionally have my RDS brightness cranked pretty high (my RMRs and my ACROs are on the second highest setting when running pistols).

I should have went with the m5. But I have loved my t1 so much that I thought the t2 would be great as well. Just left less than thrilled to say the least. I will run it hard at a two day class in October so I will wait till then to decide it’s fate

chamber143
09-05-20, 16:39
I am just going to sell my t2 on scalarworks 1.93. Love the mount just don’t like the 2 moa dot. In EE if anyone’s interested. Brand new only mounted and never shot. Received only a couple days ago.

2risky
09-10-20, 21:54
I appreciate everyone's honesty about your experiences with this optic rather than a lot of hype. Maybe it will help suppress my desire for a T2 to replace my M3.

I did pick up a good deal on an MRO and, despite the slightly blue hue, liked it very much. So last month I picked up the MRO HD hoping that it would be a nice improvement. First trip to the range for a limited test (not my primary weapon that day) on a bright sunny day in Texas left me confused on a 50 yard target - the dot almost disappeared on max brightness. I had checked it out before I left home so I thought the battery might be weak. Definitely not as bright as the MRO on max. However, what I discovered was that the sunglasses (Oakley) that I was wearing had a significant effect on the visibility of the dot. When I got home I tried a different brand of sunglasses and it did work better with those, however I still believe that the MRO is slightly brighter than the MRO HD. It may have to do with the dual reticle, both dot and circle dot. Plus there is a clearer lens view, which means less coating which could have an effect as well. It's certainly bright enough in bright sun light without sunglasses. I haven't had a chance to try it a second time.

mebiuspower
09-11-20, 05:51
MRO HD does not have any visible coating with a trade-off of 50% battery life of the regular MRO. (2.5 years vs 5 years)

chamber143
09-11-20, 06:14
MRO HD does not have any visible coating with a trade-off of 50% battery life of the regular MRO. (2.5 years vs 5 years)

The thing about battery life doesn’t matter to me as most people change the batteries once a year anyway. If battery life is important to you than that is a factor.

mebiuspower
09-11-20, 07:08
The thing about battery life doesn’t matter to me as most people change the batteries once a year anyway. If battery life is important to you than that is a factor.

The problem is the battery life quoted are in the average setting. Most guys tend to run their red dot on brighter settings and battery consumption is not linear.

T2 Battery life - Day time use: 5 years (50 000 h) of continuous use at pos. 8 and over 10 months at pos. 10.

chamber143
09-11-20, 07:25
The problem is the battery life quoted are in the average setting. Most guys tend to run their red dot on brighter settings and battery consumption is not linear.

T2 Battery life - Day time use: 5 years (50 000 h) of continuous use at pos. 8 and over 10 months at pos. 10.

I understand that. The t2 I can’t see unless it’s at 10 or so.

grizzman
09-11-20, 19:32
I understand that. The t2 I can’t see unless it’s at 10 or so.

That's not been my experience with mine.

motorcopm4
10-27-20, 16:42
My opinion on dots I’ve owned
M4s- nice dot, big optic
M2- nice and cheap. However Aimpoint doesn’t warranty these because 90% are from the military
Old MRO- didn’t like the blue glass
T2 - didn’t like it , dim fuzzy dot
T1- didn’t like it, blue glass
EXPS2- red ok
EXPS2- green nice bright green better than MRO green
Compm5 - love it, clear crisp dot
New MRO- ok
New MRO- green more yellow dot washed out
MRO HD- haven’t had one, read one review that you could see the grid inside the optic then actually saw the video where I could see the grid in it. Got scared away
Vortex sparc II- work makes me use this. Seems ok. Holds zero
and batteries dead every time I shoot it

DefenderAO
11-07-20, 20:44
That's not been my experience with mine.

Aimpoint changed the LED output on its micros. Serial Numbers 46K need a setting of 9 to equal the dot brightness of the older gen's 8. I have six T2's, five older gen (used to own three other new gen) and this is the case across the board. I do not know the exact SN# this effect started, and I do nit know why Aimpoint made this change, but it seems like a feature regression. You exponentially lose battery life for the same power output between the two...

I only will look at older T2 models as viable.

Uncas47
11-25-20, 18:34
Two MROs come and gone. I have and will be keeping an Aimpoint Pro in a Wilcox mount on my A4. My 6920 has a Comp M5 in a Scalarworks lower third mount and suits me to a tee. My old eyes appreciate all the sharpness and clarity I can get, and the Comp M5 delivers. The fine dot allows hits at ranges I never would have believed, so I'll not risk my credibility by asking anyone else to believe it.