PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 11.5 barrel money can buy?

sunga33
08-29-20, 16:43
Building a gun with V seven 2055 receiver set. What is the best 11.5" barrel money can buy? Looking for accuracy yet still be able to transfer the upper receiver to my issued full auto lower. So basically accuracy, reliability and can take heat.

AndyLate
08-29-20, 17:37
Jeez, man "best" is a tough call.

It's easier for us if you find 3-4 barrels that are actually in stock and ask for help narrowing down the choices.

The least expensive (new) barrel that meets your criteria (in my opinion) is a Ballistic Advantage 11.3" Hanson profile with a pinned .750" LPGB. That's the barrel I am running and it's reliable as a hammer unsupressed.

I would not say it's the "best" barrel though. A CHF chrome lined heavy profile barrel is probably a better bet for extended full-auto.

Andy

556hollowtip
08-29-20, 18:35
Jeez, man "best" is a tough call.

A CHF chrome lined heavy profile barrel is probably a better bet for extended full-auto.

Andy

What Andy said. That's a blonde or brunette's question. Name brand and pick your poison. Make sure it's Cold Hammer Forged (CHF).

Artos
08-29-20, 19:03
I'm a fan of the CHF DD tubes & run them FA / hunt...good bbls.

ZacSquatch
08-29-20, 20:28
I have a nice Spikes marked FN 11.5” and a DD 11.5”. Both are equals in my eyes, and very accurate for FSB uppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turnburglar
08-29-20, 21:38
The best?

https://proofresearch.com/barrels/ar-type/

ColtSeavers
08-29-20, 23:35
Criterion Core series.

Hammer_Man
08-29-20, 23:57
Colt 11.5” FBI barrel if you don’t mind a heavier profile.

trauma
08-30-20, 00:27
DD would be my choice

sunga33
08-30-20, 04:22
if the CF wrapped barrels weren’t on back order I would have bought by now. But I’ve been reading they’re not for heavy use

JediGuy
08-30-20, 08:23
I’d probably be looking at the Criterion CORE. If in stock, seems like it hits your three criteria well.

Though not as “big a name,” BlackRiverTactical has some options that may be great, as well. They only have their lighter profile options in stock currently, so not necessarily what you are seeking for any sort of sustained full auto. But, for an 11.5” (or 12.5”) light profile, I would personally order theirs. If you won’t be doing sustained full auto, I’d probably take a close look there. Clint posts regularly on the forum, and you can ask questions in their thread in the Technical sub forum. Hard to beat that.

Daniel Defense is well-recognized for their combat quality barrels that are accurate.

The Colt 11.5” FBI profile (or cut down SOCOM) is probably the simplest answer when considering reliability and heat tolerance.

You have plenty of great options, Gucci or otherwise.

TMS951
08-30-20, 09:40
Luckily I don’t think anyone recommended it yet, but I strongly advise against the BCM barrels.

They are very tempting and can be had as hammer forged. Probably a great barrel in many regards, I do have one.

But... they are way over gassed at .076. To bad as it ruins an otherwise very good barrel.

Moral of the story. Many companies make great barrels these days. The most over looked and most important factor separating these high end barrels is gas port, it is subjective to some extent. I’d pick a barrel based on the port you want (.070 or smaller). I’d skip on any company that doesn’t want to share this info.

ColtSeavers
08-30-20, 12:44
Luckily I don’t think anyone recommended it yet, but I strongly advise against the BCM barrels.

They are very tempting and can be had as hammer forged. Probably a great barrel in many regards, I do have one.

But... they are way over gassed at .076. To bad as it ruins an otherwise very good barrel.

Moral of the story. Many companies make great barrels these days. The most over looked and most important factor separating these high end barrels is gas port, it is subjective to some extent. I’d pick a barrel based on the port you want (.070 or smaller). I’d skip on any company that doesn’t want to share this info.

.076" on an 11.5" barrel? Really? That's large even for a 10.3" barrel. My BA Hanson 10.3" .750 gas block diameter barrel has a .075" gas port and runs a Sprinco Blue with a 4.7oz H2 reliably with everything I've fed it.

So much for "We specifically chose 11.5" for the dwell time".

That was something that always ticked me off. People would regurgitate BCM's increased dwell time line (technically true), but completely overlook the fact that it's only one part of and entire system.

Red*Lion
08-30-20, 18:33
still be able to transfer the upper receiver to my issued full auto lower.

What do you mean by "issued full auto lower?" Don't you mean select fire lower? Are you law enforcement?

Bret
08-30-20, 21:38
Make sure it's Cold Hammer Forged (CHF).
Why? The reason I ask is that I'm also looking to put together an 11.5" upper half for my M16 lower.

JoshNC
08-30-20, 21:50
Colt 11.5 skinny profile
Colt 11.5 fbi profile
Centurion 12.5 CHF CL
FN 11.5 CHF CL
DD 11.5 CHF CL
BCM 11.5
BCM 11.5 BFH CHF CL
Take your pick. All are great.

Alternatively buy a complete KAC 11.5 upper, LMT MRP 11.5 upper, or any Colt, DD, or BCM upper.

JoshNC
08-30-20, 21:53
Why? The reason I ask is that I'm also looking to put together an 11.5" upper half for my M16 lower.

CHF has a longevity advantage over button or cut rifling if done properly. Hk, Steyr, SwissArms, B&T, and FN CHF CL barrels are well known for their longevity of 50k and higher round count. But that depends on many variables, including ammunition, ROF, cooling intervals, etc.

I personally like CHF CL barrels and prefer them on fullautos. That said, my preference of late is for Colt 921HB “SOCOM” profile barrels.

JoshNC
08-30-20, 22:00
The best?

https://proofresearch.com/barrels/ar-type/

Fullauto capability removes these from consideration.

556hollowtip
08-30-20, 22:03

What Josh said. I'd add Knights too and I believe the new rifles using M855A1 ammo are CHF. The process of CHF aids in the hardness of the barrel.

JoshNC
08-30-20, 22:14
What Josh said. I'd add Knights too and I believe the new rifles using M855A1 ammo are CHF. The process of CHF aids in the hardness of the barrel.

KAC 14.5 E2 is one of the smoothest fullauto setups I’ve ever shot. Good luck finding one right now.

Pork_Shoulder
08-31-20, 14:21
While all of the above answers have some decent to great barrels in them, there is no question that the best barrel at the moment would be Bartlein's 400MOD steel barrels (https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bartlein-new-barrel-material-400modbb.7018442/) that are 2x+ the life of traditional steel. Left hand gain twist 5R cut rifled available from blanks from Bartlein. You'd then want Paul from Craddock Precision (https://craddockprecision.com/ar15-barrels/) to cut it to your specs, probably an 11.5in carbine gas taper contour. He will also nitride it for you on request, further increasing barrel life.

Anything else is going to be either less accurate or less durable...or very likely both.

themonk
08-31-20, 16:08
Based on your requirements I would skip 11.5 and go 12.5 and get a Hodge Barrel.

R.O.U.S.
08-31-20, 16:09
I see a few recommendations for the Colt FBI contour barrel. I have an upper with one and I love it, however, with it's heavier weight it's easy to go over board on an upper once you start adding components.

11.5" FBI contour with a reasonable/lightweight handguard - Feels good
11.5" FBI contour w/handguard, light, aimpoint, and supressor - Noticeably front heavy. My upper is configured this way, and weighs 6lbs 5oz with suppressor. 5lbs 7oz without the suppressor.

I'm not sure if it is the best option for OP who wants to build on a V7 2055 lightweight receiver set.

Older Daniel Defense 11.5" barrels had a .076" port. I've heard that DD has tightened the gas port in current production barrels, but I have never seen confirmation. A DD 11.5" with a reasonable port size would be my pick because of the cold hammer forging, and chrome lining. A quick look shows these in stock in some stores.

ViniVidivici
09-01-20, 00:35
Criterion Core series.
The Fall Guy speaks the truth.

justin_247
09-01-20, 09:05
A DD 11.5" . . . A quick look shows these in stock in some stores.

Nope, not in stock anywhere.

If you're relying simply on search engine summaries and not actually clicking links to the websites, you're not going to get an accurate stock report.

MistWolf
09-01-20, 09:24
Building a gun with V seven 2055 receiver set. What is the best 11.5" barrel money can buy? Looking for accuracy yet still be able to transfer the upper receiver to my issued full auto lower. So basically accuracy, reliability and can take heat.

Build two uppers. One for precision. One for full auto. No sense in paying good money for a precision barrel then taking off its edge by running blaster ammo full auto through it. Two uppers will give you more than twice the life of one.

fedupflyer
09-01-20, 10:57
Criterion Core series.

Not in stock until at least Nov.

Pork_Shoulder
09-01-20, 11:54
A 12.5in mid gas would make sense if an extra inch isn't asking too much. Triarc's spec is fantastic and reliable for this.

But again, if cost isn't an issue no barrel is going to outperform the Bartlein 400MOD cut by Craddock Precision, at either barrel length.

R.O.U.S.
09-01-20, 11:56
Nope, not in stock anywhere.

If you're relying simply on search engine summaries and not actually clicking links to the websites, you're not going to get an accurate stock report.

I only verified on one website. This link shows DD 11.5" stripped, and front sight post as in stock.
https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/dd-gov-11-5-barrel-selection.html

justin_247
09-01-20, 12:20
I only verified on one website. This link shows DD 11.5" stripped, and front sight post as in stock.
https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/dd-gov-11-5-barrel-selection.html

Niiiiiiice. Well done, sir.

ColtSeavers
09-01-20, 19:18
Not in stock until at least Nov.
Did not know that, thank you for the heads up.