PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Sight Recommendations ....

63Qcode
08-31-20, 09:08
Guys , last trip to my place in the Foothills , had an almost close encounter with some coyotes at 4:00 am . We were sound asleep when they sounded like they made a kill about 50 yards off the back deck and started calling everyone in for a late night snack . Dog went nuts ( inside thankfully ) and it brought me straight up from the bed . Tried to find them , but not enough light to see anything and they vanished when I hit the floodlights . In that rural area , the rule for coyotes is shoot on sight .... problem is I have to see them .
So I started looking at thermal night sights for my AR . I always used RD or LPVO on my AR`s , but am a total novice on night vision scopes . From what I have found , I think in the $2000 range would get a decent unit that would allow me to make shots up to the 200 yard range ??
So , if anyone has any recommendations based on your experience , I would appreciate it .

Two part post ..... I found an old Tasco 3 - 7x20 way back in my safe that I bought for my Winchester Mdl 69A when I was a teenage . That rifle is a tack driver ( 22LR ) and has a really good trigger . So , I think it`s time the Tasco was relegated to the safe again ...... any recommendations on a scope for a mdl 69A ? Rifle already has the grooves machined in it for a scope mount . Should make a good squirrel gun .

Thanks

monkeywrench
08-31-20, 12:40
I work with thermal cameras every day. I was taking to the vendor and asked about the flir breach for coyotes. He recommended just use night vision with a ir laser.

B Cart
08-31-20, 13:00
You can't beat the Pulsar Core RXQ30V in that price range. I think they run around $1,900, and this site comes with a free mount.

https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Pulsar-Core-RXQ30V-p/pl76483.htm

MegademiC
09-03-20, 07:15
I would look at the pulsar core, flir pts233, and also consider i2 nv.

Matt in TN
09-03-20, 08:50
I would look at the pulsar core, flir pts233, and also consider i2 nv.

I absolutely LOVE my FLIR PTS233, but FLIR is stupid and decided not to sell to civilians anymore. You may be able to find one used, but I'm not sure what this means for support if you have an issue later.

Defaultmp3
09-03-20, 11:58
I work with thermal cameras every day. I was taking to the vendor and asked about the flir breach for coyotes. He recommended just use night vision with a ir laser.Thermals are best for finding targets of interest, NODs are better for actually PIDing what you found and for aiming.

So there-in lies the question. Is the purpose to shoot using strictly only thermal, is it strictly to use a clip-on night vision optic, or is it simply to have no-light capabilities, where a mix of head-mounted and weapon mounted systems is acceptable?